[Shams] Aaron Gordon Extension ($92m/4yrs)

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

parsnips33
Head Coach
And1: 2,600

Re: [Shams] Aaron Gordon Extension ($92m/4yrs) 

Post#21 » by parsnips33 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:24 pm

Does this make Draymond overpaid or underpaid?
nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,614

Post#22 » by nomansland » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:28 pm

I'd have expected something closer to $20m per year but ok. It's a bit high but not insanely too high given that he's a great fit with the team.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,807

Post#23 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:06 pm

parsnips33 wrote:Does this make Draymond overpaid or underpaid?

I have the two completely unrelated. Gordon is a 4th starter overpaid because they didn't know how they could replace him if he left. Draymond is one of the best defenders and playoff performers of his generation and he's paid to be a foundational piece of the Warriors success. If the Warriors continue to choose not to compete for titles, then he could be considered overpaid as well as he's not there to be a floor raiser.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
parsnips33
Head Coach
And1: 2,600

Post#24 » by parsnips33 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:15 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
parsnips33 wrote:Does this make Draymond overpaid or underpaid?

I have the two completely unrelated. Gordon is a 4th starter overpaid because they didn't know how they could replace him if he left. Draymond is one of the best defenders and playoff performers of his generation and he's paid to be a foundational piece of the Warriors success. If the Warriors continue to choose not to compete for titles, then he could be considered overpaid as well as he's not there to be a floor raiser.

The connection I see (besides same position and very roughly same role) is that neither guy is being paid for their traditional box stats. Obviously Draymond is in another galaxy in terms of impact compared to Gordon, but I think both examples show that contract valuation has a lot more to do with specific team contexts than with some Platonic idea of Basketball Value
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,292

Post#25 » by Godaddycurse » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:43 pm

parsnips33 wrote:The connection I see (besides same position and very roughly same role) is that neither guy is being paid for their traditional box stats. Obviously Draymond is in another galaxy in terms of impact compared to Gordon, but I think both examples show that contract valuation has a lot more to do with specific team contexts than with some Platonic idea of Basketball Value

yup, thats why to many other teams they are both overpaid/have lower trade value than their value to own team
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#26 » by Ballerhogger » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:44 pm

expensive but their core is set. 2022 a weak FA.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,538

Post#27 » by HartfordWhalers » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:06 am

I will say as a general pattern, the idea that teams can actually convince players to lock up ahead of time and you can know who your team is 3-5 years out is amazing. When the cap was rising faster than existing salaries could; this was impossible. Now, it devalues free agency and increases the importance of drafting and trades and I think the full NBA product will be better.
HartfordWhalers
And1: 20,538

Post#28 » by HartfordWhalers » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:06 am

Also, I'm fine with this.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,397

Post#29 » by JRoy » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:10 am

Crazy overpay for 4th best starter
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
patman66
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,361

Post#30 » by patman66 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:06 am

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:That's about 40% more than I would've expected... yikes

I seen him around 4 and 78, that 18-20 range. Not John Collins, Randall but Grant type of payday, He is def more valuable than Kuzma whom you think is a salary match.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,538

Post#31 » by HornetJail » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:21 am

patman66 wrote:

I seen him around 4 and 78, that 18-20 range. Not John Collins, Randall but Grant type of payday, He is def more valuable than Kuzma whom you think is a salary match.

Gordon is decent value at the 16M he's currently at, Kuzma would be decent value under 10M. Grant is clearly better than Gordon, and Randle/Collins are leaps and bounds better.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
nzahir
RealGM
And1: 4,656

Post#32 » by nzahir » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:22 am

Pinkyring wrote:
nzahir wrote:

You thought Aaron Gordon in his prime would take 13m a year....

Lot of worse guys getting paid that or more

Who are the worse guys making 24m or more

Love
Wall
Russell

I think KP and Ben Simmons are better, but they were really bad in the playoffs

It isn't a great contract and its higher than you would want to pay him, but you don't lose him for nothing

He is an important part of their core and he is their best defender

The issue is they have a bad defender in MPJ, a bad defender in certain matchups in Jokic, and a meh defender in Murray
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#33 » by Pinkyring » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:40 am

nzahir wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
nzahir wrote:You thought Aaron Gordon in his prime would take 13m a year....

Lot of worse guys getting paid that or more

Who are the worse guys making 24m or more

Love
Wall
Russell

It isn't a great contract and its higher than you would want to pay him, but you don't lose him for nothing

The issue is they have a bad defender in MPJ, a bad defender in certain matchups in Jokic, and a meh defender in Murray

Context matters when they got those deals they were all stars and much better than Gordon has ever or will ever be
patman66
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,361

Post#34 » by patman66 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:10 am

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:
patman66 wrote:

Gordon is decent value at the 16M he's currently at, Kuzma would be decent value under 10M. Grant is clearly better than Gordon, and Randle/Collins are leaps and bounds better.

so his deal is almost 22 mill 40% of which is 9 mill or 13 mill salary. He is not a 13mill a year player, at that offer he would leave in June. And kuzma got a somewhat fair deal, I don't think he would have signed for the MLE as you do. You don't want to deal with FA you overpay by 10% -15% so you don't have too.
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,546

Post#35 » by Devilanche » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:32 am

A tad high . See him as 18-20m range so not a hard to move deal if things just don’t work out in future .

Question: can we add a poll to see how much one would have offered for him in terms of yearly value for a 4 years contract
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
BelgradeNugget
Veteran
And1: 2,931

Post#36 » by BelgradeNugget » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:15 am

Jay_Sizzle wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:I think it's a pretty bad overpay more so because they let the better player (Grant) walk last offseason for less money than what they're now gonna pay Gordon. I get that he fit and they started playing really well when they inserted him in the starting lineup, but you absolutely should be able to replace the kind of role he played for way cheaper than this. The player option is just overkill. Who was really lining up to pay him that contract next offseason?
This was my thinking as well. Grant was a much better option. A full tier higher then him in my book.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

As a Nuggets fan I disagree. AG is great for the Nuggets in a role they need him to play. Grant was never especially good in that role. Grant build all of his reputation in few PO games and in few good defensive plays. He was never good defender. Grant is better volume scorer for bad team, shooter and iso player but we have better players for that.
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,996

Post#37 » by cl2117 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:40 am

It's an overpay, but it's understandable.

I had him pegged as being worth a similar amount as Marcus Smart and I thought Marcus was marginally overpaid, so this is obviously a good bit more of a gap. I get it though, they've now got a strong core and AG's contract likely doesn't end up an albatross even if it's a negative value in the end.

I didn't think AG ended up being that good a fit for them, well at least compared to on paper, think they'll get better returns next year with him more incorporated into the schemes and this money will seem less over the top.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,564

Post#38 » by jpengland » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:43 am

Classic bidding against themselves with the extension. Very few teams with serious cap space moving forward, and who else would.give that to Gordon?
Get they wanted to lock him up but that's 5m per year too much
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,614

Post#39 » by Skybox » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:29 am

ORL fans happy for our boy, AG.

But mostly happy it wasn't us paying him that much. DEN heading into some rocky financial territory with MPJ's max deal coming up. They're a very good team but I guess they're banking on winning it all with the roster they have. AG is a great fit, but that's a LOT of money for his role. Similar conversations about PHO's upcoming negotiation with M. Bridges - great player, perfect fit, but how much can/should you pay your #4 guy if you plan to improve? How close are AG and Bridges to their ceiling already?
nzahir
RealGM
And1: 4,656

Post#40 » by nzahir » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:32 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
nzahir wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:Who are the worse guys making 24m or more

Love
Wall
Russell

Context matters when they got those deals they were all stars and much better than Gordon has ever or will ever be

Gordon has more potential for growth though than the 1st 2 and he has more physical tools than D'angelo

The Love deal was atrocious when it was done

The deal isn't great, but they had to do it

Return to Trades and Transactions