Aaron Gordon, Nuggets Agree To Four-Year, $92M Extension

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Aaron Gordon, Nuggets Agree To Four-Year, $92M Extension 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:01 pm

Aaron Gordon has agreed to a four-year, $92 million contract extension with the Denver Nuggets.

Gordon's deal includes a player option for the 25-26 season.

The Nuggets acquired Gordon ahead of the 2021 trade deadline. Gordon was slated to be a free agent during the 2022 offseason. 

Via Shams Charania/The Athletic

luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,235

Re: Aaron Gordon, Nuggets Agree To Four-Year, $92M Extension 

Post#2 » by luciano-davidwesley » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:33 am

Way too many player options are thrown around like candy. You're basically saying to the player if you are playing at or above your contract you can opt out and renegotiate but if you've phoned it in the last few years you can opt in. It's so, so stupid and only the top tier of players should be given this option. The Nuggets would have been better off just making it a guaranteed year because at least if he was playing decent he can't opt out.

You can't trust 75% of the players in this league to keep working hard on their game once they get a long term contract.
FreeSpiritNY
Veteran
And1: 1,283

Post#3 » by FreeSpiritNY » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:33 am

luciano-davidwesley wrote:Way too many player options are thrown around like candy. You're basically saying to the player if you are playing at or above your contract you can opt out and renegotiate but if you've phoned it in the last few years you can opt in. It's so, so stupid and only the top tier of players should be given this option. The Nuggets would have been better off just making it a guaranteed year because at least if he was playing decent he can't opt out.

You can't trust 75% of the players in this league to keep working hard on their game once they get a long term contract.

I couldn’t agree anymore. Well said.
BooRadleysHouse
Sophomore
And1: 36

Post#4 » by BooRadleysHouse » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:52 pm

Am I the only one who thinks Aaron Gordon is overrated? I think Denver will regret this deal unless they flip him in the next year or so.
kalel123
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,998

Post#5 » by kalel123 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:17 pm

luciano-davidwesley wrote:Way too many player options are thrown around like candy. You're basically saying to the player if you are playing at or above your contract you can opt out and renegotiate but if you've phoned it in the last few years you can opt in. It's so, so stupid and only the top tier of players should be given this option. The Nuggets would have been better off just making it a guaranteed year because at least if he was playing decent he can't opt out.

It's a way for teams to negotiate the dollars and years they want in a contract. I don't see a problem with it if the team can manage to negotiate reasonable numbers using the player option as a bargaining chip. Not entirely sure Nuggets were able to do that in this case though.
leo7
Junior
And1: 189

Post#6 » by leo7 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:21 pm

I really hope they going to trade Bol Bol now, after signing Aaron Gordon.
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#7 » by Scalabrine » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:19 pm

BooRadleysHouse wrote:Am I the only one who thinks Aaron Gordon is overrated? I think Denver will regret this deal unless they flip him in the next year or so.

He averaged 10/4.5/2 on 50/26/70 shooting splits for the Nuggets last season...and they just gave him 23 million per year to do that.

I'm sure they would have much rather have been able to keep Jerami Grant for less.
Go Knicks!
Brick Layer
Junior
And1: 116

Post#8 » by Brick Layer » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:19 am

Scalabrine wrote:
BooRadleysHouse wrote:Am I the only one who thinks Aaron Gordon is overrated? I think Denver will regret this deal unless they flip him in the next year or so.

He averaged 10/4.5/2 on 50/26/70 shooting splits for the Nuggets last season...and they just gave him 23 million per year to do that.

I'm sure they would have much rather have been able to keep Jerami Grant for less.

I have always felt Aaron Gordon was overhyped and overrated by Orlando just because he was the #4 overall pick and the Magic were a team that was so badly lacking in talent. That was a big reason why it took the Magic FO so long to trade him despite being on block for multiple seasons. After Denver overpaid to acquire Gordon in trade, the Nuggets were forced to extend him with a contract Aaron Gordon simply does not deserve. Trading Jerami Grant to downgrade to Aaron Gordon and extending him to that bloated contract is going to be a major reason why Denver will have a great deal of difficulty being a serious NBA title contender.
TimeisIllmatic
Sixth Man
And1: 313

Post#9 » by TimeisIllmatic » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:42 am

Northwest division is basically all treadmill teams with the exception of OKC who seems to be headed in the right direction depending on how those draft picks play out.
Scalabrine
RealGM

Post#10 » by Scalabrine » Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:19 pm

Brick Layer wrote:
Scalabrine wrote:

I have always felt Aaron Gordon was overhyped and overrated by Orlando just because he was the #4 overall pick and the Magic were a team that was so badly lacking in talent. That was a big reason why it took the Magic FO so long to trade him despite being on block for multiple seasons. After Denver overpaid to acquire Gordon in trade, the Nuggets were forced to extend him with a contract Aaron Gordon simply does not deserve. Trading Jerami Grant to downgrade to Aaron Gordon and extending him to that bloated contract is going to be a major reason why Denver will have a great deal of difficulty being a serious NBA title contender.

Grant left on his own volition. Everything I've read is that the Nuggets were willing to pay him the same contract he took, but he wanted to have a bigger role offensively instead of being the 4th option, 3/D guy that he was in Denver.
Go Knicks!
Scalabrine
RealGM

Post#11 » by Scalabrine » Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:32 pm

TimeisIllmatic wrote:Northwest division is basically all treadmill teams with the exception of OKC who seems to be headed in the right direction depending on how those draft picks play out.

Up until the Jamal Murray injury, I felt like the Nuggets were legit contenders, if not favorites to come out of the West, plus they have a 26 year old superstar coming off an MVP season.

The Jazz had the best record in the entire league last year, had 3 All-Stars, and were also a legit contender.

Portland was in the conference finals 2 playoffs ago and their 2nd and 3rd best players both missed a ton of time last year.

All 3 teams are pretty much locks to be playoff teams in the West, and could make a run deep into the playoffs and you're calling the team who just won 22 games and it essentially just throwing **** at the wall to see if it sticks as the only team "headed in the right direction"?????????

OKC would be extremely fortunate to finish this "rebuild" in a position that any of those 3 teams are in and they will easily be the worst team in that division again this year.
Go Knicks!
TimeisIllmatic
Sixth Man
And1: 313

Post#12 » by TimeisIllmatic » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:33 pm

Scalabrine wrote:
TimeisIllmatic wrote:Northwest division is basically all treadmill teams with the exception of OKC who seems to be headed in the right direction depending on how those draft picks play out.

Up until the Jamal Murray injury, I felt like the Nuggets were legit contenders, if not favorites to come out of the West, plus they have a 26 year old superstar coming off an MVP season.

The Jazz had the best record in the entire league last year, had 3 All-Stars, and were also a legit contender.

Portland was in the conference finals 2 playoffs ago and their 2nd and 3rd best players both missed a ton of time last year.

All 3 teams are pretty much locks to be playoff teams in the West, and could make a run deep into the playoffs and you're calling the team who just won 22 games and it essentially just throwing **** at the wall to see if it sticks as the only team "headed in the right direction"?????????

OKC would be extremely fortunate to finish this "rebuild" in a position that any of those 3 teams are in and they will easily be the worst team in that division again this year.

Seems like we are arguing two different things. You're arguing about the fact these teams are playoff contenders and I am talking long term.
Scalabrine
RealGM

Post#13 » by Scalabrine » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:15 pm

TimeisIllmatic wrote:
Scalabrine wrote:

Seems like we are arguing two different things. You're arguing about the fact these teams are playoff contenders and I am talking long term.

I'd definitely take a 26 year old MVP along with a 24 year old borderline All-Star level point guard, and a 22 year old Forward with easy all star potential, plus a nice young core of Gordon, Morris, Dozier, Bol, Naji, and their picks over a borderline All-Star point guard and a ton of total unknowns.

The Nuggets are already contenders, and they should continue to contend for at least the next 5 years unless a major injury happens to Jokic. How much more long term are you going with this?

The Thunder are all hope at this point. They don't have that MVP superstar yet, and they might never have it.
Go Knicks!
AleksandarN
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,621

Post#14 » by AleksandarN » Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:53 am

Return to Wiretap Discussion