Image ImageImage Image

Do the Bulls have the worst starting pointguard in the division?

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

bearadonisdna
RealGM
And1: 5,394

Do the Bulls have the worst starting pointguard in the division? 

Post#1 » by bearadonisdna » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:03 am

For the sake of discussion i think its very close.
Miluwaukee - Holiday
pacers - brogdan
cavs - sexton
Pistons - #1 overall pick cade cunninghan
Bulls-

in a vacuum i think i take every one of those guys before our projected starter.
Even so, i would prefer a sense of urgency, dedication, and elite play as a priority, not a cutler-esque attitude of aww shucks is just fun or whatever. or being too cool or smooth to freaking try hard.
Evil_Headband
Starter
And1: 897

Re: Do the Bulls have the worst starting pointguard in the division? 

Post#2 » by Evil_Headband » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:39 am

Lonzo Ball, Lonzo Ball, Lonzo Ball (Beetlejuice test)

Lonzo Ball, Lonzo Ball, Lonzo Ball, Lonzo Ball, Lonzo Ball (Candyman test)

It’s OK. Nothing happened. You can type his name.
Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,642

Post#3 » by Dez » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:50 am

Short answer: No
Long answer: No

Ball is better than Sexton and Cunningham is more of a 2 and also hasn't played a game.
Andi Obst
General Manager
And1: 6,543

Post#4 » by Andi Obst » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:11 pm

Sexton isn’t even the best point guard on his own team.
...formerly known as Little Nathan.

jc23 wrote:the fate of humanity rides on Chicago winning this game.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,422

Post#5 » by Michael Jackson » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:22 pm

It depends on the metric of it. No one is going to say Lonzo Ball is the best PG out there and if he was we couldn’t have gotten him for the money we did. Fit wise Ball works with this squad imho, I would take him over Sexton. I would also take Garland over sexton though too and think the Cavs have made that their priority too. The point though is that Ball is better than Sato or White so we upgraded.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,654

Post#6 » by sco » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:27 pm

I think the more important question is how much better our PG is this year vs. last year. Also, I think it will take a couple of months for him to get used to his new teammates and become more effective. The Bulls' offensive playmaking duties, IMO, are different in the full and half court (where Vuc and DDR will likely have the main distribution role). To succeed as a team, we'll need Ball to improve his ball handling skills and ability to finish at the rim this season, and his defense.
:clap:
Grodoboldo
Analyst
And1: 2,819

Post#7 » by Grodoboldo » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:33 pm

No.

Sexton is worse. Garland is worse. Cade is a rookie, so who knows. Hayes is worse. Brogdon is probably better, but hurt a lot.

Also, our PG (Lonzo) probably won't be our main initiator, so that question has all kinds of layers.
Constantly underwhelmed by the Bulls.
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,058

Post#8 » by FriedRise » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:23 pm

Is this a "I don't like Lonzo Ball" thread? ;)

Until we land CP3 - and 29 teams don't - I believe we're going to continue to run a PG-by-committee system. That's why they targeted all these players who can also handle the ball some in addition to all their other skills. We just hope that the upgrades we made would result in a lot less turnovers and lot more buckets regardless of whomever initiates the offense. On paper, I think they've achieved that since the players we added (Lonzo, Caruso, DDR) have pretty good assist/turnover ratio compared to the ones outgoing/relegated to less playmaking duties (Coby, Zach, various butterfinger bigs).

Some possessions we might swing the ball around with every player touching it, in other possessions we might have Vooch, DDR, or Zach going ISO because of matchups. As long as it ends in a bucket, I'm good.
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 4,959

Post#9 » by Wingy » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:35 pm

I’d guess Cade will be similar to Lonzo in that their hype coming out of the draft >>> impact in their career. <—- this is not a direct player comparison before you get all excited Cade lovers. It’s only a comment on hype to production ratios.

Maybe Lonzo is the “worst,” but that doesn’t mean much at all. Someone would have to be “worst” by this sort of absolute measure, but that doesn’t mean they have some huge, clear cut advantage over him - except for Jrue. The others are marginally better, if they’re even better at all.
sljdaddy
Junior
And1: 109

Post#10 » by sljdaddy » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:03 pm

I'd take Lonzo over every starting point guard in our division except Brogdon, until we see what Cunningham can do.

The PG by committee approach? We don't need that anymore.

Give Lonzo the ball and let him facilitate. That's what we've been looking for, and that's what we've got.

The Lakers took the ball out of Lonzo's hands and gave it to Lebron. The Pelicans tried to turn him into a 3 and D guy.

Let the guy play in his lane, and get out of his way.
Andi Obst
General Manager
And1: 6,543

Post#11 » by Andi Obst » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:09 pm

sljdaddy wrote:I'd take Lonzo over every starting point guard in our division except Brogdon

So you'd take Brogdon and Lonzo over Jrue?

I mean...okay.
...formerly known as Little Nathan.

jc23 wrote:the fate of humanity rides on Chicago winning this game.
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach
And1: 325

Re: Do the Bulls have the worst starting pyou people must be on drugs I'd you think Brogdon ointguard in the division? 

Post#12 » by heir_jordan22 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:43 pm

You people are on drugs if you think Brogdon is only marginally better than Lonzo.

But the pistons and cavs PGs are Garland and Hayes. Lonzo is better than Hayes. Garland is probably marginally better than Lonzo. The only thing that I can think of that Lonzo does better than Garland is dunking and being able to switch on defense.
IamSam
Senior
And1: 218

Post#13 » by IamSam » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:45 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:It depends on the metric of it. No one is going to say Lonzo Ball is the best PG out there and if he was we couldn’t have gotten him for the money we did. Fit wise Ball works with this squad imho, I would take him over Sexton. I would also take Garland over sexton though too and think the Cavs have made that their priority too. The point though is that Ball is better than Sato or White so we upgraded.

https://theanalyst.com/na/2021/07/lonzo-ball-new-orleans-pelicans-restricted-free-agent/

I think this article is a pretty good breakdown of Lonzo's strengths as well as weaknesses.

IMO, MJ is thinking about this the right way; it really depends on how you are measuring the effectiveness of your PG. Lonzo definitely doesn't fit squarely into the traditional PG position and yet, some of his talents are such that if you can mitigate some of his weaknesses with team construction/role, then I think there is an opportunity for him to have a positive impact far beyond what one might expect from the "worst starting point guard in the division".
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,381

Post#14 » by drosestruts » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:49 pm

Brogdon
Holiday
Lonzo
Garland
Sexton

Never seen Cade play an NBA game
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,266

Post#15 » by kodo » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:58 pm

Definitely not the worst unless we're looking for someone to just to score and not make plays.

Assists Per 100 possessions,
Holiday: 8.8
Brogdon: 8.1
Sexton: 6.1
Cunningham: 5.4

Ball (Van Gundy): 8.7
Ball (Career): 9.4

I only have Jrue as definitely better. Brogdon probably better, but IMO there's hope that better coaching will get Lonzo back to his career #s, NOP was a system disaster last season. Sexton I wouldn't touch as a playmaker, he's a tunnel vision scorer. Cunningham is a big unknown, but even vs college competition he averaged 3 apg.

We don't need or want our PG to be a taking the most shots on the team, that would actively be a bad PG for us with the team we have.
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,159

Post#16 » by League Circles » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:20 pm

I haven't done a full run down, and I'm not upset that we signed him given who else we signed, but I think Ball is probably one of the worst starting PGs in the league. Though even if he is, hopefully his fit will elevate his impact for us, and he can also improve.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
IamSam
Senior
And1: 218

Post#17 » by IamSam » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:22 pm

kodo wrote:Definitely not the worst unless we're looking for someone to just to score and not make plays.

Assists Per 100 possessions,
Holiday: 8.8
Brogdon: 8.1
Sexton: 6.1
Cunningham: 5.4

Ball (Van Gundy): 8.7
Ball (Career): 9.4

I only have Jrue as definitely better. Brogdon probably better, but IMO there's hope that better coaching will get Lonzo back to his career #s, NOP was a system disaster last season. Sexton I wouldn't touch as a playmaker, he's a tunnel vision scorer. Cunningham is a big unknown, but even vs college competition he averaged 3 apg.

We don't need or want our PG to be a taking the most shots on the team, that would actively be a bad PG for us with the team we have.

I'm not too concerned about his career numbers just yet; If you eliminate, year 2 where he was obviously impacted by the arrival of Lebron, you would see a pretty straightforward upward trajectory if you look at his stat trend line.
jump
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,409

Post#18 » by jump » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:46 pm

This is silly.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,749

Post#19 » by dougthonus » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:53 pm

Do the Bulls have the best SG in the division?
Do the Bulls have the best C in the division?

Answer is obvious yes to both of these questions. It's almost like looking at a position in a vacuum and trying to determine how that relates to talent overall isn't useful.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
PrimzyBulls81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,226

Post#20 » by PrimzyBulls81 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:02 pm

1.Brogdon/Holiday
3.Ball
Sexton
Cade,Garland

Return to Chicago Bulls