And1: 1,893

Re: Lineup if Ben holds out? 

Post#21 » by sixers4real » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:21 am

C - Embiid / Drummond / Bassey
F - Harris / Niang / Reed
F - Green / Thybulle
G - Curry / Korkmaz / Joe
G - Maxey / Milton / Springer

Actually, I have this team top 6 in the East.

I want to see Maxey, Milton and Thybulle a lot for development and raising trade value.
Sixers fan since 2001. From Russia.
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 10,047

Post#22 » by Murray_17 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:01 pm

My only worry is that a Seth/Maxey line up is extremely short but between them i prefer to sit Maxey because of the 2 man game Jo has with Seth.

I'll try starting Milton for some games and see what he can gives us as a starter and bring Maxey as a 6th man from the bench.
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,414

Post#23 » by Jailblazers7 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:41 am

I think we’re still a top 5/6 team without Ben but it’s honestly a toss up. Worst case scenario of Ben sitting and no deal happening until the deadline is kind of terrifying because that places a ton of pressure on Embiid’s health.
sixers4real
Veteran

Post#24 » by sixers4real » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:49 am

Jailblazers7 wrote:I think we’re still a top 5/6 team without Ben but it’s honestly a toss up. Worst case scenario of Ben sitting and no deal happening until the deadline is kind of terrifying because that places a ton of pressure on Embiid’s health.

On the other hand Embiid (and we) will see what it’s like to play with a PG that can and will shoot (Milton and Maxey) on a nightly basis for the first time in Embiid career.
sixers4real
Veteran

Post#25 » by sixers4real » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:21 am

sixers4real wrote:C - Embiid / Drummond / Bassey
F - Green / Thybulle
G - Curry / Korkmaz / Joe
G - Maxey / Milton / Springer

Actually, I have this team top 6 in the East.

I want to see Maxey, Milton and Thybulle a lot for development and raising trade value.

Seems like this will be the case
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,509

Post#26 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:01 am

Someone is going to have to run the offense. This is where Doc is going to have to earn his paycheck. He made it work some years back with the Clippers after CP3 was gone. He can do it again here.
Heezzi
Pro Prospect
And1: 259

Post#27 » by Heezzi » Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:41 am

C - Embiid / Drummond / Bassey
F - Thybulle / Korkmaz
G - Green / Milton / Joe
G - Curry / Maxey / Springer
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,803

Post#28 » by Negrodamus » Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:40 pm

Curry definitely feels like a guy we grabbed because Ben was our PG. While he was a good playoff scorer, he's really limiting now that we're without an oversized PG.
NYSixersFan
Analyst
And1: 1,563

Post#29 » by NYSixersFan » Fri Oct 1, 2021 4:16 pm

I think we need to be flexible and go with a starting lineup depending on who we're playing. I don't think we have a lineup that works no matter who we're playing.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,863

Post#30 » by Stanford » Fri Oct 1, 2021 4:25 pm

Heezzi wrote:C - Embiid / Drummond / Bassey
F - Thybulle / Korkmaz
G - Green / Milton / Joe

Nightmare
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,804

Post#31 » by HotelVitale » Fri Oct 1, 2021 7:45 pm

Stanford wrote:
F - Thybulle / Korkmaz
G - Green / Milton / Joe

Nightmare

Yeah looks like a really thin team, and when Embiid takes his annual injury vacation we'll be bottom-10 team.
sixers4real
Veteran

Post#32 » by sixers4real » Fri Oct 1, 2021 11:16 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
Stanford wrote:
F - Thybulle / Korkmaz
G - Green / Milton / Joe

Nightmare

Yeah looks like a really thin team, and when Embiid takes his annual injury vacation we'll be bottom-10 team.

Why nightmare? Thin team? What are your suggestions about lineups considering we won’t have Ben?

Actually, Heezzi copied lineups from my OP, that’s why I’m so defensive lol.

I think Doc and Morey want to see if Maxey is able to be starting PG of this team going forward. If he can, thy will look to trade Simmons for a wing, if he can’t, they will search for a PG.

Of course, they will go for top value, but I’d say starting Maxey right now is very important for being contenders in 2023-26.
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,545

Post#33 » by SixthStreet » Fri Oct 1, 2021 11:42 pm

In the experimentation phase of the regular season, I'd try to figure out what is the best offensive 5 man unit around Embiid, defense be damned. See how low the defensive floor is of an Embiid lineup. Something like Maxey, Curry, Korkmaz, Harris, and Embiid. Have a second unit of Milton, Green, Thybulle, Harris, Niang/Drummond with Green and Thybulle getting significant minutes with the starters minus Korkmaz and Curry.

If Embiid proves capable of getting passable defensive results with an all offense lineup we have a roster construction path to contention (shooting, ball handling, shot creation and playmaking at the expense of size and defense). I'm not sure he can but I'd like to find out.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,194

Post#34 » by ProcessDoctor » Sat Oct 2, 2021 1:12 am

Maxey(30)/Curry(18)
Green(8)/Korkmaz(16)/Milton(14)/Curry(10)
Thybulle(28)/Green(20)
Harris(34)/Niang(14)
Embiid(32)/Drummond(16)

Give or take. I think Green and Thybulle would be the best starting duo between Maxey and Harris. Curry's shooting + the shot-creation of Shake + Kork off the bench would hopefully prevent us from going on those cold streaks without Embiid.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
SixersSince82
Junior
And1: 202

Post#35 » by SixersSince82 » Sat Oct 2, 2021 1:03 pm

TTP wrote:
I can't imagine we'd bench Seth. He's part of all of our best lineups, and he crushed it in the playoffs. If anything, I'd expect us to get him even more looks this year in the regular season after he ramped up his attempts and efficiency in the postseason. I'd rather see the team try to test his limits offensively in the regular season.

Whether it's Redick, Curry, Korkmaz, or whatever other bomber we've had in the role - we've seen how effective this archetype is in units with Embiid, especially with the 2 man game. It's been a staple of our offense for years, and your proposed lineup lacks the personnel for it. In theory, the Embiid 2 man game should be even more effective with a third shooter spacing the floor on the other side instead of Ben clogging space in the dunker spot. For this reason, I can't see your lineup happening.

I hear you, but you can't just ignore defense, imo. There's no way a starting backcourt with 2 guys that small works long term. Certainly not in the playoffs. There are many reasons we lost to ATL, Ben's disappearing act, Tobias constantly coming up small, Matisse's foul, Joel's turnovers, Docs rotations... But one of them was Huerter roasting Curry down the stretch.

I like Seth a lot. But there's a reason he's come off the bench most of his career. He's a 6th man.

I agree, Seth was the 6ers second best offensive player in the playoffs but to me that speaks more to how immensely disappointing Tobias Harris is and obviously Ben's huge flaw. Don't get me wrong, Seth should def get "starters minutes" (as the 6th man) and there should be a rotation built around him and Joel, no doubt. But Im confident there's 0% chance a team could win a 2nd round playoff series with that small of a backcourt taking up the majority of the minutes. (unless one of the dudes was a superstar, and even then...)

That said, looks like Doc's gonna run with it, despite acknowledging there will be games he will have to change it up. Smh.
TTP
Head Coach
And1: 4,398

Post#36 » by TTP » Sun Oct 3, 2021 4:17 am

SixersSince82 wrote:
TTP wrote:
I can't imagine we'd bench Seth. He's part of all of our best lineups, and he crushed it in the playoffs. If anything, I'd expect us to get him even more looks this year in the regular season after he ramped up his attempts and efficiency in the postseason. I'd rather see the team try to test his limits offensively in the regular season.

Whether it's Redick, Curry, Korkmaz, or whatever other bomber we've had in the role - we've seen how effective this archetype is in units with Embiid, especially with the 2 man game. It's been a staple of our offense for years, and your proposed lineup lacks the personnel for it. In theory, the Embiid 2 man game should be even more effective with a third shooter spacing the floor on the other side instead of Ben clogging space in the dunker spot. For this reason, I can't see your lineup happening.

I hear you, but you can't just ignore defense, imo. There's no way a starting backcourt with 2 guys that small works long term. Certainly not in the playoffs. There are many reasons we lost to ATL, Ben's disappearing act, Tobias constantly coming up small, Matisse's foul, Joel's turnovers, Docs rotations... But one of them was Huerter roasting Curry down the stretch.

I like Seth a lot. But there's a reason he's come off the bench most of his career. He's a 6th man.

I agree, Seth was the 6ers second best offensive player in the playoffs but to me that speaks more to how immensely disappointing Tobias Harris is and obviously Ben's huge flaw. Don't get me wrong, Seth should def get "starters minutes" (as the 6th man) and there should be a rotation built around him and Joel, no doubt. But Im confident there's 0% chance a team could win a 2nd round playoff series with that small of a backcourt taking up the majority of the minutes. (unless one of the dudes was a superstar, and even then...)

That said, looks like Doc's gonna run with it, despite acknowledging there will be games he will have to change it up. Smh.

We massively won Curry's minutes that series (and the entire playoffs). Curry's playoff issues are massively overblown. This is what he's done in his three career playoff series:

I don't buy that "there's a reason" logic either. GMs and coaches get it wrong all the time. He's clearly a pretty big positive on the court, yet he wasn't even given a chance until he was 25 and he didn't really get more than a min deal contract until he was 29. I care more about his actual production than what previous GMs failed to get out of him.

His actual production is that he was the second best player for us this past playoffs (not just the second best offensive player) and has excellent synergy with Embiid, arguably the best of anyone on the team. What he gave up on defense didn't come close to the value he added on offense.

If you're that concerned about size, you just start Shake and bring Maxey off the bench when Curry and Embiid rotate out together (with Maxey absorbing a lot of the usage that leaves the court with Embiid). You don't separate Embiid and Curry. You'd rather have Shake over Maxey off-ball anyways while Embiid is dominating the ball, and then Maxey gets to play a larger percentage of his minutes with the ball in his hands.
jonjames is a signature bet welcher.

Appostis wrote:You're friend ..is a idiot.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,528

Post#37 » by 76ciology » Sun Oct 3, 2021 5:18 am

No way you don’t start with Seth.
But you may or may not end with Seth.

I’d end games with Maxey-Milton.

If the game goes full speed on this 3 guard unit, I’ll end with Maxey-Seth-Milton or Maxey-Milton-Green or Thybulle.
If Isaiah Joe or Korkmaz surprises us. Then I may possibly even end with Maxey-Milton-Joe/Korkmaz
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#38 » by 76ciology » Sun Oct 3, 2021 5:38 am

The issue for me is whether to start Maxey or not. Yes, Maxey should be part of our best 5 man unit. But it isnt necessarily that you should start with your best 5 man unit.

And if you can have a guy like Maxey playing 6th man, I think it will be a great advantage and a better flow with your rotation.

If you look at how we play in the last 3 years our units with Embiid is pretty much just running the shooter (seth) off screen then if it’s denied we then dump it to Biid. I think you’re not maxing out Maxey’s talent with that. Specially given you also have Tobi in that starting unit where he has to start because of how much he’s making among many other things.

Milton for me is the best player to start with Biid, he doesnt need to have the ball in his hands to contribute. He can space the floor, play catch and shoot and also play good defense.

After that, the question is.. since we seem to have good depth in guards, do we slide one of Green and Thybulle to SF? Have Green play starting SF then have Thybulle play back up SF?
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
sixers4real
Veteran

Post#39 » by sixers4real » Sun Oct 3, 2021 5:44 am

We haven’t even seen Maxey and Seth play together to say that they suck on defense.
I imagine this will a super dynamic offense with this two
76ciology
RealGM

Post#40 » by 76ciology » Sun Oct 3, 2021 7:00 am

“Shake [Milton] had a great day today and overall, leading the second team,” Rivers said of the fourth-year guard on the second day of training camp. “You could tell he’s put a lot of work in at that position. Last year, honestly, he came into the year and had no idea he’d be a point guard. So, he’s been fantastic for us.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers