HOU/ATL

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Xman
Assistant Coach
And1: 367

HOU/ATL 

Post#1 » by Xman » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:26 pm

Seems like ATL is loaded and primed. Very strong starting five of: Capela, Collins, Hunter, Bogdanovic, Young.
Lots of very old and very young depth: sg Huerter, sg LWilliams, sf Reddish, pf Gallinari, c Okongwu, c Dieng. Rookies: pg SCooper, f JJohnson.

The roster has solid contracts - exception Gallinari but he is only another year (and then $5m buyout).

I was trying to come up with a trade to boost them this year and not kill them long term with salary problems.

Hou sends: Wood, House, Augustin
ATL sends: Gallinari, JJohnson, 2022 OKC 1st (top 14 protected, becomes 2nds), 2025 BKN 2nd, 2026 GS 2nd, 2027 LAC 2nd, 2022 ATL 1st (top 14 protected becomes 2nds in 2026 and 2027).
(or ATL could keep all the picks and send SCooper).

HOU adds JJohnson, who was projected to go higher. The picks are low value but HOU needs some seconds and other low value picks for deals. Galli could join Wall and Gordon in the waiting to expire category.
Hou sends two expiring quality veterans in Augustin and House. Both provide short term quality depth to ATL - and might be kept based on results. The big acquisition is Wood. Unicorn that can fill in at pf or center. Will give what they hoped to get from Galli.

ATL:
pg: Trae, Augustin, SCooper
sg: Boggy, Huerter, LWilliams, DWright
sf: Hunter, House, Reddish
pf: Collins, Wood
c : Capela, Dieng, Oko

The picks are low value (should be a low first and five seconds) and no salary help for Houston. The big get for HOU is JJohnson.
Houston has a stud sg in Green and another stud that can play 1-3 in Porter if he keeps his head straight.
Projecting rookies as at least high quality backups: Chistopher g, Garuba pf, Sengun c.
Other solid players: Theis c, Tate sf, KMart f.
Seems like JJohnson would round out the forwards. HOU would still need a pg playmaker (some like Porter or Green here in which case a 3&D guy would work) and a big center (Theis is short at 6'9 and Sengun is not that big either (6'10 with short arms)). Garuba will outmuscle most big men but is only 6'8. Luckily ESPN is projecting 5 of top 7 picks next year as centers.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,821

Re: HOU/ATL 

Post#2 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:41 pm

Feels like a significant overpay to turn Gallo into Wood here. House a minor value add at best, Augustin is negative value and would only play when a regular was hurt. I think you need to come down significantly on your ask and even then I don't think Wood is the right target with Capela/Collins/Ogongwu/Gallo/Dieng a very solid big man rotation already.

I would much rather see Atlanta spend assets get a more reliable big wing. Hunter is good, but health is always going to be a concern. Reddish is still such a crap shoot. He had that one crazy half where he couldn't miss but nobody believes he really shoots like that and he was getting worked defensively. That is the one area of main concern for me for Atlanta.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,928

Post#3 » by jayu70 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:32 am

Xman wrote:Seems like ATL is loaded and primed. Very strong starting five of: Capela, Collins, Hunter, Bogdanovic, Young.
Lots of very old and very young depth: sg Huerter, sg LWilliams, sf Reddish, pf Gallinari, c Okongwu, c Dieng. Rookies: pg SCooper, f JJohnson.

The roster has solid contracts - exception Gallinari but he is only another year (and then $5m buyout).

I was trying to come up with a trade to boost them this year and not kill them long term with salary problems.

Hou sends: Wood, House, Augustin
ATL sends: Gallinari, JJohnson, 2022 OKC 1st (top 14 protected, becomes 2nds), 2025 BKN 2nd, 2026 GS 2nd, 2027 LAC 2nd, 2022 ATL 1st (top 14 protected becomes 2nds in 2026 and 2027).
(or ATL could keep all the picks and send SCooper).

HOU adds JJohnson, who was projected to go higher. The picks are low value but HOU needs some seconds and other low value picks for deals. Galli could join Wall and Gordon in the waiting to expire category.
Hou sends two expiring quality veterans in Augustin and House. Both provide short term quality depth to ATL - and might be kept based on results. The big acquisition is Wood. Unicorn that can fill in at pf or center. Will give what they hoped to get from Galli.

ATL:
pg: Trae, Augustin, SCooper
sg: Boggy, Huerter, LWilliams, DWright
sf: Hunter, House, Reddish
pf: Collins, Wood
c : Capela, Dieng, Oko

The picks are low value (should be a low first and five seconds) and no salary help for Houston. The big get for HOU is JJohnson.
Houston has a stud sg in Green and another stud that can play 1-3 in Porter if he keeps his head straight.
Projecting rookies as at least high quality backups: Chistopher g, Garuba pf, Sengun c.
Other solid players: Theis c, Tate sf, KMart f.
Seems like JJohnson would round out the forwards. HOU would still need a pg playmaker (some like Porter or Green here in which case a 3&D guy would work) and a big center (Theis is short at 6'9 and Sengun is not that big either (6'10 with short arms)). Garuba will outmuscle most big men but is only 6'8. Luckily ESPN is projecting 5 of top 7 picks next year as centers.

That's way too much for Wood. House is worth one 2nd maybe 2. Augustin negative plus Hawks have Trae, Wright and Lou at PG so no playing time available for him. So that leaves Gallo, Johnson, OKC 1st, ATL 1st plus 2 2nds for Wood. Gallo fills a specific role with limited minutes and usage. Wood won't see the minutes and usage on the Hawks and he may not be happy in that role.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,747

Post#4 » by eminence » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:03 am

I just don't see enough minutes for Wood behind Collins/Capela and wanting to give Okongwu some as well.

I think value is probably close, might be ~2 2nds too many.
I bought a boat.
ZombieKilla
Rookie
And1: 1,085

Post#5 » by ZombieKilla » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:12 am

No reason for the Rockets to do this. Like you said, the picks are low value. So, that just leaves them basically trading Wood for a bad contract in Gallinari. They’d rather keep Wood.
Xman
Assistant Coach
And1: 367

Post#6 » by Xman » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:02 pm

I understand the Rox are not getting fair value - the only reason for the Rox is to get JJohnson. The picks are minimal.
The Rox draft room was upset before they made their 3rd pick at #23 (it was either JJohnson or IJackson or both they wanted). I think it was JJohnson they wanted - which is why it could make the deal palatable.

As far as too many picks, they all suck so I do no think ATL would mind shipping them out. A low first and five seconds - that would be a steal.
Wood would get his minutes - that is not an issue either (30 for each of Capela/Wood/Collins, 6 for Dieng/Oko). House is a nice add. Augustin is an expiring that is a mismatch problem and ATL has a ton of shooting guards not point guards.
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#7 » by Buzzard » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:04 am

Atlanta passes. They have plenty of depth at PF/C. Either they consolidate for a star; or they stand pat to see if one or more of their youngsters at least hits a all star level.
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,538

Post#8 » by HornetJail » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:09 pm

not seeing the need for Atlanta if Wood is going to be relegated to backup duties, especially since they just gave Capela and Collins big new contracts that lock them in as the starters for the foreseeable future, and have Okongwu as a promising backup. A team that needs a starting center should not hesitate paying this price though.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR

Return to Trades and Transactions