ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, Juancho Hernangomez!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,227

Re: Welcome to Boston, Juancho Hernangomez! 

Post#21 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:48 pm

Read on Twitter

Officially official. I can finally buy my Hernangomez Celtics jersey.
JJHondo17
Pro Prospect
And1: 783

Post#22 » by JJHondo17 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:28 pm

Good news, #41 should be available if he wants it.
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,961

Post#23 » by Shak_Celts » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:51 pm

I'll tell you what I Juanch what I really really Juanch!

NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,783

Post#24 » by Curmudgeon » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:03 pm

JJHondo17 wrote:Good news, #41 should be available if he wants it.

What!? You mean Kelly Olynyk's old number hasn't been retired?
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Bohemian
Analyst
And1: 3,308

Post#25 » by Bohemian » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:23 pm

I think Juancho will give us quality minutes from the bench. I expect him to be in the rotation.
moonie_mcgee
Starter
And1: 1,794

Post#26 » by moonie_mcgee » Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:04 am

This guy may really breakout with the Celts. I'd have him come in for Tatum and play that role with the 2nd unit. I also think we have enough talent to sit JT and JB together now. If they're our core let them play together as much as possible.
That's the Way of the World
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,961

Post#27 » by Shak_Celts » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:31 pm

moonie_mcgee wrote:This guy may really breakout with the Celts. I'd have him come in for Tatum and play that role with the 2nd unit. I also think we have enough talent to sit JT and JB together now. If they're our core let them play together as much as possible.

Most good teams don't have that luxury, I hope we explore that. It's not about rest, they are young, it's about the others being good enough to take some pressure off them so they can expand their games. Last season they seemed to feel that they had to outscore teams by themselves, they had to be great every night, while it's great to say, it's not reality. The greatest players need(ed) a pick-me-up from the others now and then.

We want to be a scrappy team not out of necessity, but because we can! We need to impose our will this season, make teams hate playing us!

I see a lot of analyst saying our offense is going to struggle, but I'm in before we're top 10 (close to top 5) on that end and people are shocked! I really see the potential this season and I'm going to ride it til it doesn't work. People can count us out because of offense, just watch!

I know, I always think we are gonna be good, but I just have a different feeling about this season. I'm not talking about championship, we have to get there first. We have a lot to wrangle. I feel like people are counting us out and that will play right into our hands! On paper, I think we FIT! If Ime can handle egos, I really believe we have something! We have the flexibility to do so much on any given night. Don't just count us out because of 3pt shooting, look at the things we can do, look at how we can matchup. Health and egos are gonna be the focus, if the ball gods favor us on both of those, a lot of people will jump on the bandwagon!

Let's go!!!!!!!!!!!
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,128

Post#28 » by Hal14 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:40 pm

moonie_mcgee wrote:This guy may really breakout with the Celts. I'd have him come in for Tatum and play that role with the 2nd unit. I also think we have enough talent to sit JT and JB together now. If they're our core let them play together as much as possible.

I hope you're right about Juancho. But I don't know man, I'm not getting too optimistic. It's just 1 game but it's the most recent game played where he played over 11 minutes and he didn't really do anything here except stand around. He grabs 1 defensive rebound, on 1 play he got burned off the dribble by Fournier and on another play he will a step slow on defensive rotation which left Tatum open for a 3 which he made.

You would have thought he might have a pretty good game - after all, we had Ojeleye, Kornet and Pritchard in the starting lineup. Our centers were kornet and Tacko. We had no Jaylen, Smart, Kemba or Time Lord.

Juancho looks good in his highlights video, though so we'll see..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
moonie_mcgee
Starter

Post#29 » by moonie_mcgee » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:37 am

Shak_Celts wrote:

Most good teams don't have that luxury, I hope we explore that. It's not about rest, they are young, it's about the others being good enough to take some pressure off them so they can expand their games. Last season they seemed to feel that they had to outscore teams by themselves, they had to be great every night, while it's great to say, it's not reality. The greatest players need(ed) a pick-me-up from the others now and then.

We want to be a scrappy team not out of necessity, but because we can! We need to impose our will this season, make teams hate playing us!

I see a lot of analyst saying our offense is going to struggle, but I'm in before we're top 10 (close to top 5) on that end and people are shocked! I really see the potential this season and I'm going to ride it til it doesn't work. People can count us out because of offense, just watch!

I know, I always think we are gonna be good, but I just have a different feeling about this season. I'm not talking about championship, we have to get there first. We have a lot to wrangle. I feel like people are counting us out and that will play right into our hands! On paper, I think we FIT! If Ime can handle egos, I really believe we have something! We have the flexibility to do so much on any given night. Don't just count us out because of 3pt shooting, look at the things we can do, look at how we can matchup. Health and egos are gonna be the focus, if the ball gods favor us on both of those, a lot of people will jump on the bandwagon!

Let's go!!!!!!!!!!!

Totally agree Shak. It was probably by necessity. I think back to the 80s Celts, 90s Bulls, Lakers, etc. The best players played together and sat together. They had great benches for them to hold the fort, hold the line. It'd be interesting to see what unfolds for the Celtics this season. An argument could be made to form a great bench unit AND a starting unity to maximize JT and JB production. If everyone steps up and is healthy, we're gonna surprise a lot of people. Hopefully Ime brings a loose but all biz approach. We gotta play our game and not play to the level of the competition. Be feared and respected.
moonie_mcgee
Starter

Post#30 » by moonie_mcgee » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:47 am

Hal14 wrote:

I hope you're right about Juancho. But I don't know man, I'm not getting too optimistic. It's just 1 game but it's the most recent game played where he played over 11 minutes and he didn't really do anything here except stand around. He grabs 1 defensive rebound, on 1 play he got burned off the dribble by Fournier and on another play he will a step slow on defensive rotation which left Tatum open for a 3 which he made.

You would have thought he might have a pretty good game - after all, we had Ojeleye, Kornet and Pritchard in the starting lineup. Our centers were kornet and Tacko. We had no Jaylen, Smart, Kemba or Time Lord.

Juancho looks good in his highlights video, though so we'll see..

Of course I'm hoping too. But he may be that classic example of a player coming into his own in a new organization. Imo Ime (that's intentional) may bring a gravitas, earned or not, that players respond to. Our roster as constructed is sooo much better than last year and THAT team was preseason 4 seed. Imo anything lower than a 4 seed would be a disappointment. This is the first year of the all in roster we've wanted since JT was drafted. The new coach solidified that to a degree.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,128

Post#31 » by Hal14 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:17 pm

On media day we're hearing that Juancho's shoulder is 100% and it was 100% all summer. And hearing Brad talk about how he is excited for Juancho can bring to the table for this team has me excited too.

He looked pretty good in this game here, showed good mobility for a dude of his size, moves quick, moves fluid. Played solid D on Millsap, defended Millsap's drive well and then blocked him at the rim. Hit some 3's, made a nice pass out of a double team.

I'm optimistic that he could be just what we need at the backup 4 spot.

1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)

Return to Boston Celtics