Image ImageImage Image

OT: Bears Talk - Justin Fields era begins

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,430

Re: OT: Bears Talk - Justin Fields era begins 

Post#1781 » by Susan » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:06 pm

Jeffster81 wrote:
sco wrote:
Jeffster81 wrote:
A more mobile QB can hide the issues of the OL until they can get addressed.

I don't care if Dalton as fine, you are not going to win many games playing his style of football. If the Bears continue on this road, they will have handle the Giants likely a top 5 pick in next year's draft.

A more mobile QB extends plays for the offense, wears down the other teams defense and freshens up your own defense. Dalton does not do that. I don't care he led them to 14 points, that like the Bulls scoring 88 points in the current NBA. On the surface it looks good(?) but in reality is mediocrity at it's meh.

But here's my problem, we all know Matt Nagy the playcaller is mediocre personified and that's not going to change. One of two things will happen if/when Nagy puts Fields in:

1. Nagy's playcalling will hinder Fields development. IOW, Nagy won't trust Fields to throw the ball more than 10 yards per attempt. (Freaking coward of a coach.)

2. Fields will blow up and become the player people envision when the Bears traded up to get him. This would be a good/bad thing. Good: in the sense the Bears will finally have THATQB in their franchise. Bad: it probably means Nagy's job is saved. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I think your first comment is true of an experienced mobile QB, but for a rookie, speed alone is not going to save him from having his a$$ handed too him. I want to give the O-Line another 4 games to not completely suck before throwing Fields to the dogs, and actually give the kid a chance to succeed.

He's only a "rookie" in experience in the NFL. He knows how to use his speed and elusiveness. It's about getting him use to the speed of the game and that is something he can't learn on the sideline.

He does not need to wait another 4 games. The players want Fields starting, period. The only person Nagy is thinking about in the locker room is Andy Dalton. Hell, players are already taking subtle shots at Nagy through the media, which tells me Nagy is already losing the clubhouse. The longer he waits on making the switch, the more he losses the locker room.

I think the Rams are a legit top 4-5 team, so I'm not crazy down on the Bears for Sunday and think they'll do well against Cincy this week, but Cleveland is a juggernaut and they're going to blow the brakes off of this team in week 3. Fields takes the job during that game and never looks back. Trying to get tickets to week 4 for his first start.

But yeah, things can get ugly quick with this.
thedarkstark
Analyst
And1: 1,224

Post#1782 » by thedarkstark » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:52 pm

I'm going to pop a bottle of champagne the day Nagy is fired.
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,869

Post#1783 » by Dresden » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:07 am

thedarkstark wrote:I'm going to pop a bottle of champagne the day Nagy is fired.

If only it were that easy.
CaPiTanAK
Pro Prospect
And1: 435

Post#1784 » by CaPiTanAK » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:50 am

CaPiTanAK
Pro Prospect

Post#1785 » by CaPiTanAK » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:56 am

I can’t believe that people are excusing Dalton trash performance by looking at his percentage completion and ignoring his trash yards, 0 TD, and 1 interception.

Trubisky is better than this garbage.
CaPiTanAK
Pro Prospect

Post#1786 » by CaPiTanAK » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:57 am

Lastly, an offensive playmaker puts pressure on the defense and forces defenders to adjust to him. Trash QBs are Captain Checkdowns.
bad knees
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,805

Post#1787 » by bad knees » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:11 am

Bears need to terminate Nagy and Pace after this season and eat the final year of their contracts. Neither has demonstrated the ability to build a great team. With Fields on his rookie contract, the Bears have a great opportunity in the next few seasons to build a championship contender. But' they need upgrades in the FO and on the sidelines. I don't trust either one of these guys' judgment. Sack them and then hold auditions for the most impressive plan to build a team around Fields.

Oh, and start him now. Kyle Brandt is right.
TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#1788 » by TheStig » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:16 am

I really can't blame Nagy for not wanting to throw out his rookie QB on opening night against a top D. Fields time will come very very soon. Dalton clearly can't make any plays other than short and quick throws.
the ultimates
Analyst
And1: 1,615

Post#1789 » by the ultimates » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:20 am

Almost Retired wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:
Dresden wrote:
Why should it stop? It's like saying stop talking about the huge hole in the middle of the road that we have to drive over every day, because if you stop talking about it, pretty soon it will cease to exist. The line sucks at pass protection, and it has for years now, and we've seen the effect that has on our mid and deep passing games. The QB is running for his life after a few seconds, often getting sacked and/or fumbling, which in turn puts us in second or third and long situations, which we can't get out of.

Much better to just keep picking up 5-6 yards at a crack, avoiding big losses and turnovers. But until the line improves, having time to throw a 30 yard pass pattern is very problematic.
There are 25 yards between a 5 yard pass and a 30 yard pass. Somewhere in the middle would be nice... but I acknowledge your point. [b]The OL has been bad for what like forever.
Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app

The Bears front office has not emphasized the OL since Jim Finks was making the picks. Pace is the worst. He's struck out on so many 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounders that he keeps trying to pick up skill players year after year. On paper our current O-Line looks about as weak a unit as you can find in the league. I think starting Dalton this year is the right move. Don't risk getting Fields seriously injured by blind side hits less than 3 seconds after the snap. And it is long overdue that we draft a real Left Tackle in the early rounds. We're never going to win consistently with a weak O-Line cobbled together with geriatric free agents and 5th round picks (or lower). Finks taught us that you win from the line of scrimmage. Too bad the subsequent GMs forgot that lesson.

The Jaguars and Jets don't have good offensive lines and yet nobody was saying Lawrence or Wilson shouldn't start because of it. Herbert started because of a freak accident to Taylor but nobody was saying he shouldn't start because of their line issues.
Losing to get high draft picks and hoping they turn into franchise players is not some next level, genius move. That's what teams want to happen in any rebuild/tank or whatever you want to market it as.
Hold That
RealGM
And1: 740

Post#1790 » by Hold That » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:53 am

One thing that’s most annoying is the media saying J Fields can’t read defenses because he allowed that one sack in preseason. Meanwhile these other rookie QBs have thrown atleast 5 INTs or more and you don’t hear a word about them not being able to a read a defense. How many INTs did Fields throw in the preseason? Zero. Not to mention they’ve been sacked 3x as much as fields..

Without a doubt Fields is the most polarizing rookie QB out of anyone in his class and is the most highly scrutinized. Hell youd think he was the #1 pick and not the 11th.
logical_art
RealGM
And1: 3,671

Post#1791 » by logical_art » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:55 am

Susan wrote:
logical_art wrote:As a Giants fan I'll be following you guys closely. We both seem to suck, but at least you might have the QB of your future, whereas it doesn't look like the Giants have theirs. Hoping Fields succeeds, after this season.

Regardless of our record this year, I'd do this trade 10/10. Even if Jones isn't the dude, you guys will have plenty of draft capital to move on.

What do you think of Judge? You guys played us hard last year but without Barkley at 100% it's an uphill battle.

I like Judge a lot, but we need to see results this year W/L wise. He seems to be a good mix of old school and newschool, and has the players respect by all accounts. Fewell is good too. Garrett though worries me. I'm worried that between Jones being mediocre, the OL still being problematic, and Garrett being meh, the offense will still stink despite a bunch of weapons.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,649

Post#1792 » by sco » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:03 pm

CaPiTanAK wrote:https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-bears/david-montgomery-had-telling-post-game-comments-on-justin-fields/

Heat on Nagy continues with star RB Montgomery preferring JF as his QB1.

I don't understand why players aren't more down on the O-Line, in addition to Nagy...they're the reason JF isn't starting.
:clap:
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,323

Post#1793 » by Stratmaster » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:18 pm

Susan wrote:
Jeffster81 wrote:
sco wrote:I think your first comment is true of an experienced mobile QB, but for a rookie, speed alone is not going to save him from having his a$$ handed too him. I want to give the O-Line another 4 games to not completely suck before throwing Fields to the dogs, and actually give the kid a chance to succeed.

He's only a "rookie" in experience in the NFL. He knows how to use his speed and elusiveness. It's about getting him use to the speed of the game and that is something he can't learn on the sideline.

He does not need to wait another 4 games. The players want Fields starting, period. The only person Nagy is thinking about in the locker room is Andy Dalton. Hell, players are already taking subtle shots at Nagy through the media, which tells me Nagy is already losing the clubhouse. The longer he waits on making the switch, the more he losses the locker room.

I think the Rams are a legit top 4-5 team, so I'm not crazy down on the Bears for Sunday and think they'll do well against Cincy this week, but Cleveland is a juggernaut and they're going to blow the brakes off of this team in week 3. Fields takes the job during that game and never looks back. Trying to get tickets to week 4 for his first start.

But yeah, things can get ugly quick with this.
I am with you on your game 4 prediction.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
IliketheBullsNBearstoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,061

Post#1794 » by IliketheBullsNBearstoo » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:39 pm

sco wrote:
CaPiTanAK wrote:https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-bears/david-montgomery-had-telling-post-game-comments-on-justin-fields/

I don't understand why players aren't more down on the O-Line, in addition to Nagy...they're the reason JF isn't starting.

Nagy's worse than the Oline. They blocked a whole hell of a lot better last season when Nagy gave up his play calling duties. I don't know what it is. I know that they could use a OT or two but I'm not putting any blame on the Oline for the loss against the Rams.
Mr. Tibbs
Head Coach
And1: 466

Post#1795 » by Mr. Tibbs » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:12 pm

Apologies if this has been brought up, but one thing (among others) that bugs me about playing Dalton..if the bears had any inclination of landing Fields in the draft, why on earth would we have dished out 10 million for Dalton that could have better served paying Fuller or anyone else to help this trash secondary.

For whatever upgrade Dalton is from Mitch, I feel like if we want to watch a mediocre vet QB lose games for us we have a perfectly capable one in Foles. It really just feels like Dalton is playing so it doesn't look like they spent 10 mil for nothing.
RIP Johnny Red Kerr, Norm Van Lier, Pdenninggolden, Bullsmaniac
Dresden
RealGM

Post#1796 » by Dresden » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:26 pm

Where in that clip did Mont. say he preferred JF to Dalton?
Dresden
RealGM

Post#1797 » by Dresden » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:28 pm

CaPiTanAK wrote:I can’t believe that people are excusing Dalton trash performance by looking at his percentage completion and ignoring his trash yards, 0 TD, and 1 interception.

He ran the plays that were called and executed the game plan that Nagy drew up.
the ultimates
Analyst
And1: 1,615

Post#1798 » by the ultimates » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:51 pm

CaPiTanAK wrote:I can’t believe that people are excusing Dalton trash performance by looking at his percentage completion and ignoring his trash yards, 0 TD, and 1 interception.

What I find equally hilarious and infuriating is that Fields could have run those exact same plays and probably had similar if not better results. The things they ran all game from a passing standpoint aren't just things you run for a shoddy offensive line (although they didn't do a lot of other things to help the line) you run that stuff with you an inexperienced quarterback which Dalton assuredly isn't.
Losing to get high draft picks and hoping they turn into franchise players is not some next level, genius move. That's what teams want to happen in any rebuild/tank or whatever you want to market it as.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,430

Post#1799 » by Susan » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:07 pm

Mr. Tibbs wrote:Apologies if this has been brought up, but one thing (among others) that bugs me about playing Dalton..if the bears had any inclination of landing Fields in the draft, why on earth would we have dished out 10 million for Dalton that could have better served paying Fuller or anyone else to help this trash secondary.

For whatever upgrade Dalton is from Mitch, I feel like if we want to watch a mediocre vet QB lose games for us we have a perfectly capable one in Foles. It really just feels like Dalton is playing so it doesn't look like they spent 10 mil for nothing.

During Free Agency they had no idea they were going to have a shot at Fields.

It was looking like a Kellen Mond in round 2 kinda draft which wasn't about to work out. You can't go into the season with Kellen Mond/Nick Foles (who hates Nagy at this point).

Not to say Andy Dalton/Kellen Mond is any better but that was the best the Bears have moved the ball against the Rams in the past 4 years - not that it's saying much.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,649

Post#1800 » by sco » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:04 pm

the ultimates wrote:

What I find equally hilarious and infuriating is that Fields could have run those exact same plays and probably had similar if not better results. The things they ran all game from a passing standpoint aren't just things you run for a shoddy offensive line (although they didn't do a lot of other things to help the line) you run that stuff with you an inexperienced quarterback which Dalton assuredly isn't.

I get the enthusiasm for Fields, but everyone should be able to see that this season's roster wasn't winning that game. We all know that Fields will get plenty of developmental time this season, but I'd prefer that he not get killed because of blown OL assignments and have his rookie year cut short. Giving the OL a few games to, optimistically, figure their sh*t out, will ultimately help Fields' development. I'm betting they'll make the move after week 3, or week 4 at the latest.
:clap:

Return to Chicago Bulls