Indy-Houston-Cleveland

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Indy-Houston-Cleveland 

Post#1 » by K_chile22 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:08 am

Cleveland out: Cedi Osman, Houston 2022 2nd, San Antonio 2022 2nd
Cleveland in: Jeremy Lamb

Get better on the floor and dump a year of the cedi deal

Indiana out: Lamb, 2023 2nd (worst of Hou, Dal, Mia, Indy)
Indiana in: DJ Augustine, Danuel House

Adds third point guard while maintaining wing depth and staying fairly salary neutral

Houston out: DJ Augustine, Danuel House
Houston in: Osman, Houston 2022 2nd, San Antonio 2022 2nd, 2023 2nd (worst of Hou, Dal, Mia, Indy)

Takes on bad salary and trades house to load up on seconds, as they have almost none right now. Also opens up a roster spot.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,521

Re: Indy-Houston-Cleveland 

Post#2 » by HartfordWhalers » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:41 pm

K_chile22 wrote:Cleveland out: Cedi Osman, Houston 2022 2nd, San Antonio 2022 2nd

Adds third point guard while maintaining wing depth and staying fairly salary neutral

Houston in: Osman, Houston 2022 2nd, San Antonio 2022 2nd, 2023 2nd (worst of Hou, Dal, Mia, Indy)

Takes on bad salary and trades house to load up on seconds, as they have almost none right now. Also opens up a roster spot.

Scoot might correct me, but I believe this would move Indy over the lux tax. They really are that close. You could offer to take Sumner also?

Also, would you really take one Osman's next year for just the two seconds from Cleveland? If it were me, I would just flip House for a single 2nd and go home; saving that extra 7m of cap space for next year to play with.
ZombieKilla
Rookie
And1: 1,085

Post#3 » by ZombieKilla » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:59 pm

The Rockets would be better off just trading House for cap space and picks.
I think they would take on Osman as part of a Wall trade, but I doubt they would do this.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,042

Post#4 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:33 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:Cleveland out: Cedi Osman, Houston 2022 2nd, San Antonio 2022 2nd

Scoot might correct me, but I believe this would move Indy over the lux tax. They really are that close. You could offer to take Sumner also?

Indy would waive Kelan Martin and his non-guaranteed salary (pushed back to opening night, apparently) to clear the 15th roster spot (and 20th camp spot) in order to make this swap, so it’d be fine for Indy. House/Augustin make $10.9m, while Lamb makes $10.5m, so it’d add $400k, and we’re about $700k under the tax right now, so it’d just fit. Then waiving Kelan would clear another ~$1.7m from the tax line, so we’d be about $2m from the tax after this deal. So, it’d be fine. They’re usable guys, for sure. My only worry at this point is if Lamb’s offense would be more needed than House’s defense, with the injuries to Warren/Sumner? Like, Justin Holiday/Torrey Craig/Oshae Brissett likely cover for House’s skill set better than House, but there’s just Duarte, still just a rookie draft pick, to provide offense at the wings off the bench.

It makes sense for Indy, and it doesn’t. We could do it, or we might not. But, it’s definitely in the realm of value/fit in theory. No arguments Pacers wise for me.
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#5 » by K_chile22 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:36 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:

Also, would you really take one Osman's next year for just the two seconds from Cleveland? If it were me, I would just flip House for a single 2nd and go home; saving that extra 7m of cap space for next year to play with.
My thinking on Osman was both of those seconds should be in the thirties and the rockets cap space is tied up until 2023 anyways
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,070

Post#6 » by jbk1234 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:44 pm

Those are two seconds that project to be good next draft. I'd want to see whether the Cedi from two seasons ago, or the Cedi from last season shows up before entertaining this.

I might want to wait until the draft itself as Cedi would be a pretty good stretch candidate his final season.

I'm just not convinced that non-contending teams should part with real value to swap bench guys signed for less than the MLE, particularly when the bench guy coming back is awfully flawed on one end of the court.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
HartfordWhalers
And1: 20,521

Post#7 » by HartfordWhalers » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:37 pm

jbk1234 wrote:Those are two seconds that project to be good next draft. I'd want to see whether the Cedi from two seasons ago, or the Cedi from last season shows up before entertaining this.

I might want to wait until the draft itself as Cedi would be a pretty good stretch candidate his final season.

I'm just not convinced that non-contending teams should part with real value to swap bench guys signed for less than the MLE, particularly when the bench guy coming back is awfully flawed on one end of the court.

They shouldn't.
OutsidetheNBA
Junior
And1: 173

Post#8 » by OutsidetheNBA » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:10 pm

jbk1234 wrote:Those are two seconds that project to be good next draft. I'd want to see whether the Cedi from two seasons ago, or the Cedi from last season shows up before entertaining this.

What's the story on Cedi's fall-off last year? I always liked him and still don't see him as a terrible contract. But his stats last year were rough. Was it Bickerstaff? Something mental with Covid isolation? Injury?
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,070

Post#9 » by jbk1234 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:38 pm

OutsidetheNBA wrote:

What's the story on Cedi's fall-off last year? I always liked him and still don't see him as a terrible contract. But his stats last year were rough. Was it Bickerstaff? Something mental with Covid isolation? Injury?
We didn't have a backup PG, so they tried to have Cedi be the creator on the second unit. That ain't him. He runs the floor well, is a decent catch and shoot player from 3, and can grab an occasional back door bucket when his defender gets caught ball watching.

Cedi was attempting these full sprint turn around fadeaways from 3. It was painful.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.

Return to Trades and Transactions