Calvin Johnson: Lions Still Owe Me $1.6M

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 294

Calvin Johnson: Lions Still Owe Me $1.6M 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:13 pm

Calvin Johnson has opened up about his feud with the Detroit Lions.

In an interview with Graham Bensinger, the Hall of Fame wide receiver says the Lions still owe him more than a million dollars.

\"I\'m not gonna close a chapter, but I\'m not gonna bend over backwards to try and do anything, because I didn\'t do anything. I did my job,\" Johnson said. \"I\'m not saying they gotta repay me the $1.6 (million) all up front, but they need to figure out a way to do it and not have me work for it. Because I already did the work for it.\"

According to an August story in the Detroit Free Press, Johnson was forced to repay the Lions $1.6 million of his signing bonus when he retired after the 2015 season.

The Lions had allegedly offered Johnson a three-year deal that would have paid Johnson $500,000 annually for appearance fees and a $100,000 donation for Johnson\'s charity, but Johnson did not take the offer, believing it showed the team was \"not serious\" about resolving the issue.

Via Steven Taranto/CBS Sports

big_hump
Freshman
And1: 10

Re: Calvin Johnson: Lions Still Owe Me $1.6M 

Post#2 » by big_hump » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:48 pm

This is why they're the Detroit Lions... Guys need the money when they're drafted, but they should try to get out of New York and Detroit if they can.
IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Post#3 » by IWishIWasHarden » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:04 pm

I don't get the story.

If he gave his money to Detroit, then they don't "owe" him the money. He handed it over.

If he didn't want to hand it over, then it should have went to a court hearing. And if he had to still hand it over, then Detroit doesn't owe him.
niha17
Rookie
And1: 71

Post#4 » by niha17 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:14 pm

hes not getting the money. based on what i see he retired and gave that money back. Dont cry now
slicedbread2
Analyst
And1: 2,746

Post#5 » by slicedbread2 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:13 pm

IWishIWasHarden wrote:I don't get the story.

If he gave his money to Detroit, then they don't "owe" him the money. He handed it over.

If he didn't want to hand it over, then it should have went to a court hearing. And if he had to still hand it over, then Detroit doesn't owe him.

Basically from what I gathered the Lions did this to Barry Sanders too. Barry retired b/c he was sick of the losing culture that permeated the Lions and he offered to give back $5.5M in the signing bonus they gave him to settle it but the Lions refused and not only did they sue him but they won and got $7.2M. Sad part was Barry was willing to come back and wanted to go elsewhere, but the Lions being the petty pricks they are said no and that your only gonna play for us.

Calvin Johnson was in the middle of a 8/132M deal, but retired after the 3rd year b/c of injuries that had built up over time. He saved the lions 82.5M in future salary that they owed him and the fact that they sued him for a signing bonus is such a vintage petty move by the Ford family(fix or repair daily).

There's a reason this franchise has only won 1 playoff game since 1957 and this is one of many. When you have 2 hall of fame legends playing for your team and you treat them like this it's disgusting. Hell the Colts effed up Andrew Luck by not getting him an offensive line until it was too late and they let him keep the salary they owed him for 1 year(28M)
CanesHeatFins
Senior
And1: 650

Post#6 » by CanesHeatFins » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:52 am

Funny how two classy hall of famers(Calvin Johnson, Barry Sanders) had to pay their team millions just to retire..... meanwhile Andrew Luck......

Return to Wiretap Headlines Discussion