ImageImageImage

Around the NBA (and other Sports) 2021-22, Part 3

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,067

Re: Around the NBA (Non-Celtics) 2021, Part 3 

Post#781 » by Ed Pinkney » Thu Sep 9, 2021 11:27 pm

We get a bit more on the Ben Simmons story in the general, mainstream sports media here in Australia (for obvious reasons), but the latest one I read was mentioning some of the stuff Barkley and Shaq said about him on one of their podcasts. I had to laugh, the lack of insight or any sense of irony from these two and the sorts of things they were saying is something to behold.

Barkley said he was disappointed in Simmons taking an $AUD270 million ($US200m) contract from the Sixers, while reportedly requesting a trade, as he hit out at the 25-year-old for sulking just because he needs to improve his shooting — a weakness that was smashed in the 76ers’ playoffs loss to Atlanta last season.

“I’m disappointed in Ben Simmons,” Barkley said. “When you give somebody $US200 million to dribble a stupid basketball, and the only thing you ask him is be better as a player, and their first response is, ‘I don’t wanna play here anymore’, that disappoints me as a player, that disappoints me as a fan.

“They’re not saying, ‘Come over and cut my grass’. They’re saying, ‘Ben, we need you to learn how to shoot the basketball’.”

O’Neal also took aim, dragging Simmons’ social media activity and personal life into things.

“Ben Simmons, you’re not that good,” he said. “In this league, do you want to be good? Or do you want to be great? You’re not great. But if you want to get to that next level, you have to be great, and to be great, you have to work on your game.

“Don’t be putting pictures up on your Instagram of your Ferrari or what actress you’re hanging around with. When you play for a town like Philadelphia, Boston, LA, Miami, hard-working towns, they don’t give a s**t about none of that. They want you to come work hard and play hard.”

Barkley being critical of Simmons asking out of Philadelphia? Really? After Barkley couldn't get them to .500 or the playoffs in his prime, so he asked for a trade out of there? And Shaq commenting on Simmons not wanting it enough? Shaq probably had the most success while putting the least amount of comparative effort in than any player in NBA history. And LA and Miami are "hard-working" blue collar type towns are they?

Simmons deserves criticism, but it really is getting ridiculous.
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,318

Post#782 » by Triple7 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:33 am

Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

They gotta be the oldest team in the NBA, by far?

Edit:
I got the Lakers at a combined average of about 32 years old.
They're like 6 years older than us, as a Team.

They are probably the oldest, but they still have guys that are still young enough. AD, Nunn, Monk, Horton-tucker. That team is stacked. It’s not like guys like Westbrook, lebron and melo can’t play extended minutes in the playoffs. They can just take it easy in the regular season.
Bohemian
Analyst
And1: 3,308

Post#783 » by Bohemian » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:55 am

If Danny was still the GM I bet he´d invite Okafor for camp. He loved those low risk moves haha. Remember Darius Miles?
jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#784 » by jmr07019 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:32 pm

Show Love Spread Love
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,689

Post#785 » by ParticleMan » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:42 pm

jmr07019 wrote:Image

Lebron: Who picked this guy for our team?
Harden: With the beard, he's never gonna know how hard I'm laughing!
CP3: ... what... the... actual...
Jokic: In Serbia you go salt mine for shoot like that. Not come back.
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,506

Post#786 » by snowman » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:32 am

ParticleMan wrote:
jmr07019 wrote:Image

Lebron: Who picked this guy for our team?
Harden: With the beard, he's never gonna know how hard I'm laughing!
CP3: ... what... the... actual...
Jokic: In Serbia you go salt mine for shoot like that. Not come back.

Doncic and Sabonis are both saying " Look, bet he bricks this one too"
Triple7
RealGM

Post#787 » by Triple7 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:13 pm

:lol:
Matt5
Junior
And1: 300

Post#788 » by Matt5 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:01 pm

$92 Million for Aaron Gordon!!!
Really?? What did he show them to get that contract?
moonie_mcgee
Starter
And1: 1,794

Post#789 » by moonie_mcgee » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:38 am

Triple7 wrote:Image

For a lady that's one tough SOB. Id love Love LOVE to see the Celts and Lakers in the Finals again.
That's the Way of the World
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,790

Post#790 » by bucknersrevenge » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:49 am

moonie_mcgee wrote:

For a lady that's one tough SOB. Id love Love LOVE to see the Celts and Lakers in the Finals again.

And no question, before anyone thinks about saying something, he would put foot to ass whilst wearing said dress if a mfer tried him too.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,886

Post#791 » by FlatearthZorro » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:25 am

bucknersrevenge wrote:
moonie_mcgee wrote:

And no question, before anyone thinks about saying something, he would put foot to ass whilst wearing said dress if a mfer tried him too.

Ehh, it's easy to bark at people in a b-ball game, while knowing that if you get hit, the other person will get suspended for a decade...
Westbrook has always been sus as hell. It's his thing and I don't care, just kinda odd he claims to be straight.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,555

Post#792 » by Shak_Celts » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:11 pm

FlatearthZorro wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:
moonie_mcgee wrote:

Ehh, it's easy to bark at people in a b-ball game, while knowing that if you get hit, the other person will get suspended for a decade...
Westbrook has always been sus as hell. It's his thing and I don't care, just kinda odd he claims to be straight.

What the hell does this even mean? Gay or straight it's none of your business! I know you say you don't care, but your words don't agree! No, even in 2021 it's not odd that people still feel the need to hide their truth (not saying he is). Look at the terms you use and that's not even close to the harshest things that are said (done) til this day! If he "claims" to be straight, then he is, until he says otherwise. Also, certain clothes, colors and mannerisms don't make/mean you're gay! Even if RW "comes out" in the future it doesn't mean a thing, because millions of people will "come out" before and after, who won't look or act the way you picture gay people being!

I'm not trying to soap box, I don't have anything against any of you, I just wish you would be a little more careful with the things you say. I know I need to be more careful with what I say. I was born and raised in the South, trust me, I have to constantly work on the crap I think and say. We just have to be a open to figuring it out for the better!

Edit: this starts at the original poster and most of the ones after, I just didn't quote all of the posts.
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,790

Post#793 » by bucknersrevenge » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:54 pm

FlatearthZorro wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:
moonie_mcgee wrote:

Gay or straights. In a dress, basketball shorts or a speedo, he'd still beat that ass with no hesitation, and with a quickness. Just saying.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,209

Post#794 » by Parliament10 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:39 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Triple7
RealGM

Post#795 » by Triple7 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:06 am

Shak_Celts wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:

What the hell does this even mean? Gay or straight it's none of your business! I know you say you don't care, but your words don't agree! No, even in 2021 it's not odd that people still feel the need to hide their truth (not saying he is). Look at the terms you use and that's not even close to the harshest things that are said (done) til this day! If he "claims" to be straight, then he is, until he says otherwise. Also, certain clothes, colors and mannerisms don't make/mean you're gay! Even if RW "comes out" in the future it doesn't mean a thing, because millions of people will "come out" before and after, who won't look or act the way you picture gay people being!

I'm not trying to soap box, I don't have anything against any of you, I just wish you would be a little more careful with the things you say. I know I need to be more careful with what I say. I was born and raised in the South, trust me, I have to constantly work on the crap I think and say. We just have to be a open to figuring it out for the better!

Edit: this starts at the original poster and most of the ones after, I just didn't quote all of the posts.

I don’t care if he’s straight, gay or whatever. I posted it because i thought it was funny as hell, if he were to wear those on games. Don’t put too much meaning into it. :D

Plus westgoat is one of my fave players. I like his toughness!
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#796 » by Parliament10 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:08 pm

Read on Twitter

I think that you can win with just 2 Stars.
Spend that 3rd Star money, on Quality Mid-level talent.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 87,844

Post#797 » by zoyathedestroya » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:12 pm

Read on Twitter

Must be a reason why these ludicrous extensions have been handed out left and right. Teams probably aren't too worried about salaries and tax moving forward.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#798 » by Parliament10 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:47 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

Must be a reason why these ludicrous extensions have been handed out left and right. Teams probably aren't too worried about salaries and tax moving forward.

That's a jump and a half, on the Salary Cap estimate.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
moonie_mcgee
Starter

Post#799 » by moonie_mcgee » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:20 am

Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I think that you can win with just 2 Stars.
Spend that 3rd Star money, on Quality Mid-level talent.

Totally agree. Bball has much fewer players than other sports both playing at one time and in totality. Take two great players and build around it. The Bucks arguably did it with one.
moonie_mcgee
Starter

Post#800 » by moonie_mcgee » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:26 am

Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Huge opportunity for Hill. Congrats to him. Hope he succeeds. His career is a great story as he persevered for a long time after many early injury setbacks. Seems like a really solid guy. Quiet confidence.

Return to Boston Celtics