ImageImageImageImageImage

Around the NBA IV

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

his_airness
Ballboy
And1: 1

Re: Around the NBA IV 

Post#1881 » by his_airness » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:45 am

Steph loves golf and a man should have a hobby or other interests to relax. But I did a double take seeing this. Almost dropped my drink on my lap.

https://www.reddit.com/r/warriors/comments/pmlxsd/today_we_nearly_lost_steph_for_the_entire_next/
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#1882 » by Crazy-Canuck » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:23 am

AG with a big contract to avg 10 pts and be the 4th or 5th option.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#1883 » by FNQ » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:44 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:AG with a big contract to avg 10 pts and be the 4th or 5th option.

When you're a good team and trade away cost-controlled assets as you are way over the cap, this is the unfortunate endgame.. no matter what, you cant walk away with nothing, and that likely means overpaying the guy you brought in. Guy was negative in metrics across the board in Denver.. maybe can be chalked up to midseason trade, but AG's best years have him as a net neutral

Nuggets still an elite team, probably top 3, but their flexibility is now gone.. I wouldnt have signed him and seen if AG/MPJ/Hyland and some pick swaps can net an elite player if one becomes available.. now? They're pretty locked in. We'll see..
hamncheese
Assistant Coach
And1: 849

Post#1884 » by hamncheese » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:40 pm

The title of this clip cracked me up.

https://es.pn/2VQP3rv

Kawhi and PG now knowing what it's like to be Warriors fans. :lol:
Bob Myers, June 7, 2018: "“It’s not in my job description to please NBA fans. It’s to win, end of story. I don’t need to be entertained, I just need to win. That’s all it is. That’s all I was hired to do. Win.”
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,215

Post#1885 » by wco81 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:49 pm

Close to training camp, Simmons still saying he will never play for the Sixers again.

How much money is he willing to give up to get himself out of Philly?

He could pull a Harden (aka Vince Carter), report and just dog it, tank his value or make it more difficult for the 76ers to get the best return for him.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1886 » by FNQ » Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:33 am

Simmons has no reason to inflate his value for the 76ers at any point. He's getting his money regardless. Every day that passes, the 76ers potentially lose value on him

Still, no interest in bringing him here. He likes to quit a lot, shows minimal resilience. Thats not a good sign
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,080

Post#1887 » by The-Power » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:04 am

FNQ wrote:Simmons has no reason to inflate his value for the 76ers at any point. He's getting his money regardless.

Only if he shows up, which he threatens not to do.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1888 » by FNQ » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:27 am

The-Power wrote:
FNQ wrote:Simmons has no reason to inflate his value for the 76ers at any point. He's getting his money regardless.

Only if he shows up, which he threatens not to do.

Right but such a small fraction.. even though hes threatening to do that now, they are still paying him, and IIRC only can start fining him once he starts missing practices in the preseason window. But it makes no sense for PHI to do that because its petty, and because him being there wont help the situation at all. So my guess is they wont even fine him.. its a sunk cost and not worth the huge distraction.

The tactic of fining someone to get them to show up typically works best in the NFL, with the more fragile contracts. But when MLB/NBA guys demand a trade, they have way more pull, especially if they have large contracts. Very rare that a NFL guy has a monster contract and wants out, but doesn't get it. Aaron Rodgers is the only one I can think of and they seem to have a wink wink deal that he'll be dealt next offseason
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#1889 » by and1GS » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:29 pm

I love that KAT tweeted 'wtf' after Rosas was fired. Just seems like he's more interested in keeping this Minny vanity project going (keep my boi Rosas and trade for the homie D'Angelo) than winning games. The org is fully transitioning to a new ownership group by 2023 and that **** probably won't fly anymore...time to actually be a winning player.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1890 » by FNQ » Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:53 am

and1GS wrote:I love that KAT tweeted 'wtf' after Rosas was fired. Just seems like he's more interested in keeping this Minny vanity project going (keep my boi Rosas and trade for the homie D'Angelo) than winning games. The org is fully transitioning to a new ownership group by 2023 and that **** probably won't fly anymore...time to actually be a winning player.

Think he was surprised like all of us, which is pretty unforgiveable to do to a star player whos toughed it out in Minnesota this long.. how long does it take to reach out to his agent and give him the info?

Glen Taylor is just a poor owner, plain and simple. High level dysfunction thats consistent is due to poor ownership, and MIN has been a circus for almost as long as its existed. The Wolves fans on this board are absolutely no different than Warriors fans circa 09 and before.. fans trying to escape an inept owner and the constant comedy of errors coming from our FO.
and1GS
RealGM
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#1891 » by and1GS » Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:29 pm

FNQ wrote:
and1GS wrote:I love that KAT tweeted 'wtf' after Rosas was fired. Just seems like he's more interested in keeping this Minny vanity project going (keep my boi Rosas and trade for the homie D'Angelo) than winning games. The org is fully transitioning to a new ownership group by 2023 and that **** probably won't fly anymore...time to actually be a winning player.

Think he was surprised like all of us, which is pretty unforgiveable to do to a star player whos toughed it out in Minnesota this long.. how long does it take to reach out to his agent and give him the info?

Glen Taylor is just a poor owner, plain and simple. High level dysfunction thats consistent is due to poor ownership, and MIN has been a circus for almost as long as its existed. The Wolves fans on this board are absolutely no different than Warriors fans circa 09 and before.. fans trying to escape an inept owner and the constant comedy of errors coming from our FO.

I fundamentally disagree. KAT is not the caliber of player that you need to apprise of high-level organizational changes nor is he of the caliber that should dictate roster/personnel moves. A 'hey quick FYI' call would be nice, but I think KAT has grossly miscalculated his value and the Wolves of past have fed into that, encouraging him to think he's a superstar by making moves to keep him happy. Would you need to give early Pistons career Blake Griffin a heads up on organizational changes or placate him with **** roster moves for his friends? What about Brandon Ingram? Or Siakam, Westbrook, Fox? These are all shades of great players (depending on your Russ POV) who were on bad or middling teams recently - just because you're the best player on a below average team doesn't mean you get Curry or Draymond privileges.

That aside, the Wolves of old have been harangued for waiting too long to make moves from their crap FO/coaching staff. McHale and Kahn spring to mind. Now they're acting quickly after Rosas made a disastrous trade (Wiggins/D-Lo) and a slew of non needle mover transactions. You can say it's knee jerk, but they've been criticized for the exact opposite and I'd say this is a positive indication that the 2023 ownership group isn't willing to be the 'I don't know let's give him 5 more years before we make a move' of past.

All this aside, it's being reported that Rosas--who is married--had a consensual affair with a Wolves employee. Obviously that is not the entire reason he was fired--sources have cited performance, which I don't know how you can argue against--but if the affair is indeed true the Wolves are under no obligation to give KAT a heads up. Even if you felt he deserved one under normal circumstances.

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1892 » by FNQ » Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:24 am

MIN doesnt exactly have star power draw, and KAT's the best player they've had there since KG. Who toiled there for years before asking out and immediately winning a ring. And then they got Kevin Love, who toiled there for years before asking out and immediately winning a ring.

They cant offer KAT competence, so they should at least be willing to offer him their unquestioned face of the franchise role.

Blake on the Pistons, man thats a reach
Siakam on the Raptors? Maybe, although he's not the clear unquestioned #1 that KATis
Ingram? He's not even the #1 on his team
Westbrook? See Blake, that's not a good comp
Fox is probably the best comp and yes, you absolutely run big moves through him. When you're a team that doesnt have many stars, has a bad reputation.. you absolutely keep these players in the loop on personnel moves.

Especially one week from the start of the season.. hell you tell the whole team that. Otherwise you look dysfunctional, which the Wolves do.
and1GS
RealGM

Post#1893 » by and1GS » Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:01 am

I just disagree. If I'm the Kings I'm--at most--flagging random bits of info/moves to Fox then not letting his POV sway me either way. The fact they've tried to placate KAT is part of why they suck. I bet OKC doesn't run a thing by SGA - and that makes sense because when you suck in today's NBA you clearly don't have a franchise guy.

FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1894 » by FNQ » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:38 am

and1GS wrote:I just disagree. If I'm the Kings I'm--at most--flagging random bits of info/moves to Fox then not letting his POV sway me either way. The fact they've tried to placate KAT is part of why they suck. I bet OKC doesn't run a thing by SGA - and that makes sense because when you suck in today's NBA you clearly don't have a franchise guy.

Telling him it’s gonna happen isn’t the same as asking for his approval. And yes, this goes even as far down as college, the best players are typically kept well in the management loop if they want to be

It’s a horrible look when you make a big move and your only star player since KG is shocked by it.. It makes it look like you don’t value his opinion at all when he’s tougher it out in basketball Siberia without asking for a trade

If he chooses to disagree publicly then that’s on him but not keeping your star player in the loop is inexcusable. Hell a certain fan favorite from Cal who had a short NBA career, I remember we had to track him down one day to let him know our head trainer was let go suddenly. That’s college, a trainer, and a future 2nd rd draft pick. It just reaffirms respect to the player, that they feel more invested in the team
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#1895 » by Twinkie defense » Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:32 pm

NBA stars beware: League plans to crack down on foul-hunting

"These maneuvers have long irked fans, coaches, players and commentators. During a 2019 playoff series against James Harden and the Houston Rockets, Steve Kerr lamented the increased 'deception' in the modern game. 'I don’t remember people falling down on three-point shots all the time when I played,' the Golden State Warriors Coach said... "

"Years of public shaming proved unsuccessful, so the NBA’s Competition Committee finally voted this summer to enact a crackdown on what the league has dubbed 'non-basketball moves.' Under the new guidelines, the NBA has outlawed 'abrupt, overt and abnormal' movement by a shooter that creates 'significant' contact with a defender in an attempt to draw a foul. Rather than earning three free throws, violators will now be assessed an offensive foul in these situations."

:clap:

(Via Ben Golliver, Washington Post)
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#1896 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:58 pm

Twinkie defense wrote:NBA stars beware: League plans to crack down on foul-hunting

"These maneuvers have long irked fans, coaches, players and commentators. During a 2019 playoff series against James Harden and the Houston Rockets, Steve Kerr lamented the increased 'deception' in the modern game. 'I don’t remember people falling down on three-point shots all the time when I played,' the Golden State Warriors Coach said... "

"Years of public shaming proved unsuccessful, so the NBA’s Competition Committee finally voted this summer to enact a crackdown on what the league has dubbed 'non-basketball moves.' Under the new guidelines, the NBA has outlawed 'abrupt, overt and abnormal' movement by a shooter that creates 'significant' contact with a defender in an attempt to draw a foul. Rather than earning three free throws, violators will now be assessed an offensive foul in these situations."

Players are now working on making all of the shots they take look "abrupt, overt, and abnormal" so they can argue that it's their normal shooting motion.

If an offensive players creates ANY contact it should either be a non-foul or an offensive foul, it should never be a defensive foul.

They also need to take a step out of the travel rules to allow defenders to stay closer to offensive players.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#1897 » by Twinkie defense » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:13 pm

Las Vegas Raiders quarterback, Derek Carr calls for a “Damian Lillard” audible, in which the play turned out to be a deep throw

Las Vegas Raiders quarterback, Derek Carr calls for a “Damian Lillard” audible at the line of scrimmage, where the play turned out to be a deep throw. The ball was overthrown, but the audible surely is a reference to Damian Lillard’s skill of hitting 3 pointers from long range. Lillard is also known to be a a fan of his hometown Oakland Raiders (who are now the Las Vegas Raiders).

Source: https://youtu.be/KF3rRPHkim0

edit: /u/3rdEyeDeuteranopia shared that Derek Carr also had a James Harden audible in the same game https://streamable.com/6269du

The James Harden audible must involve the slot receiver faking contact and falling down on his route...
DevinVassell
Bench Warmer
And1: 850

Post#1898 » by DevinVassell » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:29 pm

Twinkie defense wrote:NBA stars beware: League plans to crack down on foul-hunting

The less a ref blows his whistle, the better but this is great, great news.

Foul-baiting is why I can't bring myself to watch soccer and bball was definitely trending toward the dark side.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,215

Post#1899 » by wco81 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:57 pm

MPJ gets an extension which could potentially be $207 million over 5 years if he makes all-NBA. Otherwise $172 million or $34.4 million a year.

He has potential.

But Nuggets ceiling is maybe a 50-55 win team, get to the WCF one or two more times.

Owner is rich but has said he won't pay luxury tax though maybe he doesn't care any more.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#1900 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:44 am

DevinVassell wrote:

The less a ref blows his whistle, the better but this is great, great news.

Foul-baiting is why I can't bring myself to watch soccer and bball was definitely trending toward the dark side.

If you watch NFL games with soccer fans they are amazed at what players jump up from unhurt.

Return to Golden State Warriors