OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS, RACE OR RELIGION]

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,741

Re: OT: General OT Thread [NO POLITICS OR RELIGION] 

Post#861 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:13 am

AussieBuck wrote:I **** hate work from home. **** hate it.

If my living situation was different (re: bigger space) I'd be good with it. It wouldn't take much, just get an apartment with another room or buy a house. What I learned from WFH last year is I need to have a separate area for work, and preferably another computer. After I think three months I was miserable and ready to go back to the office. Not because I missed the people or needed to see them to do a better job; lol hell no. I just missed my office, desk, three monitors, and expensive chair. If (and I think when) I get the option to WFH again I'm gonna talk to the landlord, upgrade my place, and buy a desktop setup.
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,684

Post#862 » by Pachinko_ » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:26 am

If it wasnt for the time difference I'd be working from Greece right now and getting paid from Australia. And the funniest thing is nobody would even notice, I've been working from home for 2 years straight now. But yeah, starting work at 1am doesn't sound like fun...

Anyway my company tried to pull me back in the office, HR sent me a permit to show to the police if I get stopped that says we are in essential services and therefore I have to get back to the office. I emailed them back and told them that what they're doing is irresponsible for the community and illegal, because I'm in Finance and I've been working from home for years, it's not like I'm a truck driver and if I don't do my rounds the shelves will be empty at the supermarket, and therefore I'm not accepting your permit because it increases the risk of COVID spread unnecessarily. They never emailed me back, and if they ever do I have zero problems to call the police.
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#863 » by Pachinko_ » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:29 am

Make a nicer study for yourself at home and get a couple of massive monitors (one for basketball)
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,674

Post#864 » by AussieBuck » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:32 am

Pachinko_ wrote:

Make a nicer study for yourself at home and get a couple of massive monitors (one for basketball)

It's more mental for me. 2020 broke me, getting a few months in the office at the start of the year was really good for my mental health. I can't concentrate at home, i hate it. I hate the idea of work happening in the place that is my retreat from the world.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,861

Post#865 » by jschligs » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:42 am

Just got absolutely swindled at a restaurant. It was our annivesary so my wife and I went out for a somewhat fancy dinner, the place was more than we'd typically spend but not outrageous. For instance, it was a la carte and the mains were around $30-40 each, sides were $10-15, more than I like (I'm a cheapskate) but my wife deserves it.

The waiter tells us the specials and sweet talks us into them. Typically I'd ask the price of them but figured whatever. It was a ribeye for two and truffle mac and cheese. Get the bill...the ribeye was $150 and the mac and cheese was $50....what. the. ****.

I'm so mad at myself. I'm the cheapest mf'er out there and I just spent over $300 on a dang meal for 2...that was good but not even that good. ****.
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#866 » by Pachinko_ » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:53 am

AussieBuck wrote:
Pachinko_ wrote:

It's more mental for me. 2020 broke me, getting a few months in the office at the start of the year was really good for my mental health. I can't concentrate at home, i hate it. I hate the idea of work happening in the place that is my retreat from the world.

You should designate a room as "the office" and never go in there after you knock off. Sounds like a small thing but it's important.

For the human interaction thing... yeah ****, it's the same for everybody, we're all stuck in the house. Maybe you should cheat a little bit and go visit a friend or something, almost everyone I know does it.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,674

Post#867 » by AussieBuck » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:57 am

Pachinko_ wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:
Pachinko_ wrote:Make a nicer study for yourself at home and get a couple of massive monitors (one for basketball)

You should designate a room as "the office" and never go in there after you knock off. Sounds like a small thing but it's important.

For the human interaction thing... yeah ****, it's the same for everybody, we're all stuck in the house. Maybe you should cheat a little bit and go visit a friend or something, almost everyone I know does it.

Don't have room and won't for a while until I've renovated more. I'll just tough it out a few more weeks and I'll get an exemption to go into the office if things don't open up.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,879

Post#868 » by Jez2983 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:58 am

AussieBuck wrote:
Pachinko_ wrote:

Yeah that's fair. I don't have many mates over here, so I dunno how I'd manage if I was at home continually. Jez is a social animal.

Luckily there is no way to rub butts remotely yet.
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,887

Post#869 » by BUCKnation » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:29 am

ReasonablySober wrote:

If my living situation was different (re: bigger space) I'd be good with it. It wouldn't take much, just get an apartment with another room or buy a house. What I learned from WFH last year is I need to have a separate area for work, and preferably another computer. After I think three months I was miserable and ready to go back to the office. Not because I missed the people or needed to see them to do a better job; lol hell no. I just missed my office, desk, three monitors, and expensive chair. If (and I think when) I get the option to WFH again I'm gonna talk to the landlord, upgrade my place, and buy a desktop setup.

Yeah, I've always needed a separate space to do work, even in college when i had an apartment. Single handedly makes it worth it to have a 2br apt for me to do work/study.
GoldenAntlers
General Manager
And1: 4,285

Post#870 » by GoldenAntlers » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:34 pm

Loving WFH, but I have about 50/50 split with going into the office. It's nice to see my coworkers a couple times a week and helps clear up some questions I may have, but I love working at my own pace and peace.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using RealGM mobile app
"Silence is a source of great strength." - Lao Tzu
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,431

Post#871 » by emunney » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:31 pm

Pachinko_ wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:
Pachinko_ wrote:Make a nicer study for yourself at home and get a couple of massive monitors (one for basketball)

My boss has always worked from home a couple days a week, has this designated space, and even has a timer on the lights in the room so they shut off at 5. Really important to set these hard boundaries, especially when they're as potentially porous as this.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,900

Post#872 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:17 pm

You definitely need a dedicated workspace to WFH more than occasionally. I have a nice office set up. Big desk with 4 monitors (I only have room for 3 at the office), mini fridge so I don't have to walk the ~20 feet to the fridge and TV for days like today when the Brewers play a day game. When WFH became full time in March 2020 I was at a dining room table and then a small desk in a corner but once it became apparent this was going to be long term I turned an extra bedroom into an office. Love it. In the past I WFH once in awhile so a laptop on the dining room table was fine.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
jute2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,296

Post#873 » by jute2003 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:40 pm

So which one of our Australian friends taught the duck how to swear?
only a fan, only an opinion
vital_signs
Analyst
And1: 2,239

Post#874 » by vital_signs » Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:26 pm

Started playing rec league soccer and hurt myself in the first game. Think a chest trap messed up my ribcage somehow (inflammed cartilage if my dr webmd is spoton). Is this what getting old is like?
Inadequate perception I reckon it's from the Valium
Jez2983
RealGM

Post#875 » by Jez2983 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:25 am

jute2003 wrote:So which one of our Australian friends taught the duck how to swear?

Which story is this? Is it about Ripper?

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,882

Post#876 » by buckboy » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:09 pm

vital_signs wrote:Started playing rec league soccer and hurt myself in the first game. Think a chest trap messed up my ribcage somehow (inflammed cartilage if my dr webmd is spoton). Is this what getting old is like?

Yes. Last week I actually woke up from the pain in my knee for the first time. That's what made me officially old in my mind. I'm too young to have it replaced. Gonna have to suck it up for a decade.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
jute2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,296

Post#877 » by jute2003 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:45 pm

Jez2983 wrote:
jute2003 wrote:So which one of our Australian friends taught the duck how to swear?

Yeah, I saw the headline and chuckled.
only a fan, only an opinion
Jez2983
RealGM

Post#878 » by Jez2983 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:49 pm

jute2003 wrote:
Jez2983 wrote:

Ha ha those recordings are from 1983 apparently, so it was me teaching the duck that when I was 0!

GoldenAntlers
General Manager
And1: 4,285

Post#879 » by GoldenAntlers » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:55 pm

Jez2983 wrote:
jute2003 wrote:
Jez2983 wrote:

Ha ha those recordings are from 1983 apparently, so it was me teaching the duck that when I was 0!
#'83Gang

Sent from my Pixel 2 using RealGM mobile app
"Silence is a source of great strength." - Lao Tzu
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,861

Post#880 » by jschligs » Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:16 pm

Went to LA for a long weekend for my wife’s 30th.

All I have to say is **** LA.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks