No
78%
Maybe
No votes

Total votes: 23

OhCanada1091
Veteran
And1: 2,122

Re: Should the Mavs trade for Ben Simmons? 

Post#21 » by OhCanada1091 » Wed Sep 8, 2021 2:44 am

LAL1947 wrote:
OhCanada1091 wrote:Mavs don't have the pieces to acquire Simmons. Porzingis value is at an alltime low and after that the only decent pieces are Brunson and Brown.

Well, isn't Simmons' value at an all-time low as well? :nod:

All this summer, we've seen rumors of really low-ball offers being reported... like Brogdon + 1 FRP... or Wiggins + #7 + #14 in this draft... or CJ + filler. I think Porzingis + Brunson + 2 FRPs + 2 Swaps easily beats any of those out and could be too generous. :P

Well none of those trades went through so the value is probably set higher. And I don't think Porzingis has much value. He hasn't really settled into playing well off of Doncic and has had effort issues in the past, also quit on his team in NY when he didn't like his situation. Injuries are also a concern, you never know how long a 7'3 guy will last. The Dallas 1st round picks are likely 20th-30th. Brunson is a solid piece and could develop into a very good player I like him alot but you don't ideally plan on building around a 6 foot gaurd. Theres definitely better offers out there for Philly.
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,979

Post#22 » by Apz » Wed Sep 8, 2021 3:27 am

OhCanada1091 wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:
OhCanada1091 wrote:Mavs don't have the pieces to acquire Simmons. Porzingis value is at an alltime low and after that the only decent pieces are Brunson and Brown.

Well, isn't Simmons' value at an all-time low as well? :nod:

All this summer, we've seen rumors of really low-ball offers being reported... like Brogdon + 1 FRP... or Wiggins + #7 + #14 in this draft... or CJ + filler. I think Porzingis + Brunson + 2 FRPs + 2 Swaps easily beats any of those out and could be too generous. :P

Well none of those trades went through so the value is probably set higher. And I don't think Porzingis has much value. He hasn't really settled into playing well off of Doncic and has had effort issues in the past, also quit on his team in NY when he didn't like his situation. Injuries are also a concern, you never know how long a 7'3 guy will last. The Dallas 1st round picks are likely 20th-30th. Brunson is a solid piece and could develop into a very good player I like him alot but you don't ideally plan on building around a 6 foot gaurd. Theres definitely better offers out there for Philly.

Eh, while not great, its not all bad either.
But yeah, no way Simmons should be near a luka lead team. I mean, wtf should he do? Noone will believe him a shooting threat so luka will be soubled for free every posession
LAL1947
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,620

Post#23 » by LAL1947 » Wed Sep 8, 2021 3:46 am

Apz wrote:But yeah, no way Simmons should be near a luka lead team. I mean, wtf should he do? Noone will believe him a shooting threat so luka will be soubled for free every posession

Well, people are always saying Luka needs a secondary play-maker... isn't Ben exactly that?

If using Ben as a small-ball Center, which is where I think this works... I'm seeing the two of them being able to do good things in the PNR all game long, since Ben can dribble and drive really great compared to other Centers... and pass better than any not named Jokic. There'll be 3 other shooters to help space the floor in non-PNR situations that should open up space for him to drive too. He was destroying Rudy Gobert when Embiid was out and 76ers used him as a big.

Someone with Jaden McDaniels' qualities would be perfect to complete the team, i.e., lengthy, defensive PF who can also be a threat from distance. Not even sure how to go about getting that done though. Perhaps Powell + Green + Moses Brown + 2nds?

Luka, THJ, DFS, McDaniels, Simmons
Dragic, Sterling, Bullock, Kleber, WCS/Boban

I think that's good enough to at least give the Mavs chance a real chance of beating the Lakers, GSW, Clippers, Utah, Suns, or Blazers and getting to the finals. Beating the Nets will be a whole other question.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#24 » by arkuo » Wed Sep 8, 2021 12:47 pm

If the Mavs have the pieces to make Philly say yes, I say go for it.

Ben is an improvement over Powell or Kleber or whoever Dallas has at PF now. That's a plus.

Ben provides better playmaking FROM THE STARTING POSITION that anyone else not named Luka. That's also a plus.

A lot of people want to chase after Dragic thinking he will start over guys like THJ, Bullock or DFS. No he won't. You're getting Dragic to play 10 mins so Luka could rest and you have some minutes left for Brunson. Getting Simmons do his thing from his starting PF spot fixes all those things without the need to bring a 35 year old point guard.

Again, if Dallas has the pieces, you go for it. Especially with a center like KP, you can bring out the advantage in Simmons. Those measurables are elite. Save for shooting, but Luka shoots 35 shots per game anyway. Even KP is complaining about touches. Simmons has no problem being the 3rd or 4th guy IMO. In comparison, and obviously the dyanmics are different, but you are getting Simmons to play the Jrue Holiday role here in Dallas, with Giannis and Middleton being Luka and KP.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#25 » by Darren » Wed Sep 8, 2021 2:53 pm

Only if KP is somewhat included. Simmons has more trade value even if things doesn't work out. And potentially, Simmons provide the Mavs with an upgrade from DFS defensively against the likes of speedy PGs and Kawhi.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#26 » by HMFFL » Wed Sep 8, 2021 10:36 pm

My concern is Ben's mindset.
Everybody that has followed his career knows he wants to be in LA. That's even before it's came out recently that he wants to play for a Cali team.

At 25yrs old he would be fantastic to have and evolve with but I find him yo be untrustworthy. I believe he eventually gets his wish to be a Clipper, Laker, or Warrior.

3x All-Star and as an All-NBA member he does have control of his career to some degree and also due to his contract.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Post#27 » by SOUNDCHASER » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:26 am

He is not a fit at all. Rather try to snag some other role player than a flawed star that is overpaid
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Post#28 » by HairyGOATee » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:58 pm

Mavs should stay away. They should stay FAR AWAY from Ben Simmons.

The whole offseason was about keeping the ball in Luka's hands and surrounding him with shooters, defensive players, and lob catchers.

Ben Simmons would bring the defense, but I don't want him taking the ball out of Luka's hand, especially not if he isn't a high volume scorer or floor-spacing shooter.

Return to Dallas Mavericks