More Free Agent Talk

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,793

Re: More Free Agent Talk 

Post#521 » by cdubbz » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:17 pm

NeoWarriors wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:Sounds like the Warriors are taking a peek at IT.
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Sent from my Golden State Warriors Protoast Elite toaster using RealGM mobile app

Would have rather had Austin Rivers :roll:
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,125

Post#522 » by TB » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:37 pm

I was really hoping Collison was the guy, but we obviously have no idea how he looked or what he's looking for.

Regardless, this feels like Poole is really being considered for the starting SG spot (which I hope is the case). Personally, I think we'd be fine with Iggy and Chiozza as the backup PGs... but having a 80% Collison (of his last season) would have been a much more sure thing.

IT has been pretty terrible for like 4 straight years.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,138

Post#523 » by watch1958 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:22 pm

TB wrote:I was really hoping Collison was the guy, but we obviously have no idea how he looked or what he's looking for.

Regardless, this feels like Poole is really being considered for the starting SG spot (which I hope is the case). Personally, I think we'd be fine with Iggy and Chiozza as the backup PGs... but having a 80% Collison (of his last season) would have been a much more sure thing.

IT has been pretty terrible for like 4 straight years.
I saw a third-hand piece saying that Slater wrote that the Ws were impressed with Collison’s shape at the workout,
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
his_airness
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#524 » by his_airness » Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:05 am

osx28 wrote:
his_airness wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:I like ryan, i think he would pair well with poole on the second unit.

And dray would love him.

Darren Collison looked too slow for NBA, so think Ryan A. will prolly get the last spot or 2-way deal. Only trouble is I can't spell nor pronounce his last name if he makes the roster.

Oh I hadn't heard anything about the Collison workout, where'd you get that info from? It's too bad he wasn't ready to play, pre-retirement DC was a quality PG we could have used.

Dubs have Curry and Poole at PG.

IIRC, Collison worked out for the Dubs and then the Blazers. I saw Collison working out by himself on youtube. It was in the news that after working out Collison, the Dubs were going to work out Ryan A. Now, it's on to Isaiah Thomas.

I haven't heard they picked up anyone, but there's still time.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,177

Post#525 » by xdrta+ » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:29 pm

I wonder if the reason no one has signed Collison is because of Covid. He's a committed Jehovah's Witness, which is an obvious religious exemption for the vaccine from the NBA. Teams may feel it's not worth the bother and risk for a player of his caliber.
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#526 » by ChuckDurn » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:40 pm

Looks like the Warriors have signed Langston Galloway to a training camp deal. Not too exciting, IMO...... he doesn't really create for other players, and is basically a streaky shooting guard in the body of a point guard. I don't see how he'd particularly help the Warriors, who are already well-outfitted at that position / role, even in Klay's absence. My guess is that he won't stick.......

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/264169/Langston-Galloway-Signs-Camp-Deal-With-Warriors
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,136

Post#527 » by wco81 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:29 pm

Career 37% but only played 11 MPG for the Suns in just 40 games.

Just under 40% overall FG %, meaning not much of a threat inside the 3-point line.

Not old, 29. I don't know if he's a bigger defensive liability than Quinn Cook was.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#528 » by xdrta+ » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:44 pm

They need bodies. There were 3 open spots and you don't want to go to camp with less than the maximum of 20. Jordan Bell is going to camp too. Camp deals don't go on the books for lux tax as long as the player is waived before opening day.

Edit: Now I see that Avery Bradley will take the other spot. I guess he might actually have a chance to stick. There will be competition for the 15th spot but they still might leave it open.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,136

Post#529 » by wco81 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:47 pm

Hmm, very little interest in Bradley is kind of surprising. He turns 31 at end of November.

Looks like he played 45-50 games in 2018 with the Lakers, opted not to go into the Bubble.

So last season he only played 27 games. Did he get blackballed for not playing in Bubble?

Can't imagine he would have declined physically that much. Oof, his 17 games with the Rockets last season were the worst of his career in terms of shooting numbers.

Maybe he isn't there physically any more.

Used to be a big time leaper too.
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#530 » by shazam_guy » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:43 pm

I'll worry about his fall-off (based on one year in a very hectic, very screwed up Houston) when or if I see it. Meanwhile, there's a lot of worse choices we could have made and we didn't make them.
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,552

Post#531 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:17 pm

shazam_guy wrote:I'll worry about his fall-off (based on one year in a very hectic, very screwed up Houston) when or if I see it. Meanwhile, there's a lot of worse choices we could have made and we didn't make them.

Check your PM's, Mr. Guy, if you'd be so kind.

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,042

Post#532 » by The-Power » Wed Oct 6, 2021 7:17 pm

Anybody interested in Khyri Thomas on a two-way deal? Haven't followed him closely in recent years but liked him quite a bit in college.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#533 » by FNQ » Wed Oct 6, 2021 9:54 pm

The-Power wrote:Anybody interested in Khyri Thomas on a two-way deal? Haven't followed him closely in recent years but liked him quite a bit in college.

Absolutely. Good form and has no conscience whatsoever when it comes to shooting. And here's the best part - he's almost got a 7' wingspan. So while he's not the quickest guy in the group, he can make up for it with his go go gadget arms. And his release for his jumper is really high too, so he should be able to play SG.

Only problem is he doesnt necessarily fit a need and I dont know why he'd come to a team with so many obstacles in his way. I'm very surprised the Rockets didnt want him, but I'd certainly take him and try and fit him into the Jordan Poole mold, with some defensive upside. The exact kind of high-upside type I'd want to roster with the 15th slot..
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#534 » by xdrta+ » Wed Oct 6, 2021 10:18 pm

The-Power wrote:Anybody interested in Khyri Thomas on a two-way deal? Haven't followed him closely in recent years but liked him quite a bit in college.

Thomas wouldn't be eligible for a two-way deal (has 3 years in the league) it would have to be an NBA contract.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,042

Post#535 » by The-Power » Wed Oct 6, 2021 10:40 pm

xdrta+ wrote:

Thomas wouldn't be eligible for a two-way deal (has 3 years in the league) it would have to be an NBA contract.

Pity, that makes it very unlikely.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#536 » by FNQ » Wed Oct 6, 2021 10:41 pm

xdrta+ wrote:

Two way contracts are for players with 4 or fewer years in the league unless that was changed this past offseason

https://gleague.nba.com/faq/

14. What is a two-way contract?

Beginning in the 2017 offseason, NBA rosters expanded from 15 to 17 players with the addition of two spots for players under “Two-Way Contracts.”

NBA teams may have up to two players under NBA Two-Way Contracts who will spend the bulk of the season in the NBA G League and not more than 45 days with their NBA team. Two-Way players are paid a corresponding daily amount based on the number of days they play in each league. Only players with four or fewer years of NBA service are able to sign Two-Way Contracts, which can be for either one or two seasons.

However it doesnt indicate what constitutes a "year of NBA service". Is like the MLB with arbitration? Is there a limit of # of games played in the NBA/GLeague? Or is it just NBA? Lots of questions.. frankly they should just go the route of the NFL w/their practice squad and make it any age/experience level.. some minor league systems in the MLB have very old players as well. NBA's the only one who seems to downplay that idea

EDIT: Turns out a year of service is if they play a single NBA game. So Khyri is at 3 years of service and is eligible for a 2 way contract
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#537 » by xdrta+ » Wed Oct 6, 2021 10:59 pm

FNQ wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

Two way contracts are for players with 4 or fewer years in the league unless that was changed this past offseason

Beginning in the 2017 offseason, NBA rosters expanded from 15 to 17 players with the addition of two spots for players under “Two-Way Contracts.”

NBA teams may have up to two players under NBA Two-Way Contracts who will spend the bulk of the season in the NBA G League and not more than 45 days with their NBA team. Two-Way players are paid a corresponding daily amount based on the number of days they play in each league. Only players with four or fewer years of NBA service are able to sign Two-Way Contracts, which can be for either one or two seasons.

However it doesnt indicate what constitutes a "year of NBA service". Is like the MLB with arbitration? Is there a limit of # of games played in the NBA/GLeague? Or is it just NBA? Lots of questions.. frankly they should just go the route of the NFL w/their practice squad and make it any age/experience level.. some minor league systems in the MLB have very old players as well. NBA's the only one who seems to downplay that idea

EDIT: Turns out a year of service is if they play a single NBA game. So Khyri is at 3 years of service and is eligible for a 2 way contract

"A player is ineligible to sign a Two-Way contract if he will have more than three years of NBA service at any point in the contract."

EDIT: http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q82
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#538 » by FNQ » Wed Oct 6, 2021 11:05 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
FNQ wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

"A player is ineligible to sign a Two-Way contract if he will have more than three years of NBA service at any point in the contract."

EDIT: http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q82

Everywhere else has it as 4, and Coon is wrong on this one

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/leaftj01.html

This is TJ Leaf. He signed a 2 way contract last year after 3 years of playing in the NBA.
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#539 » by xdrta+ » Wed Oct 6, 2021 11:30 pm

FNQ wrote:

This is TJ Leaf. He signed a 2 way contract last year after 3 years of playing in the NBA.

I guess you're right, I'm not sure about Leaf signing for 2 years, though. It's a little confusing. This is how it reads in the CBA,

Article II:

"No Team may sign or convert a player to a Two-Way
Contract if the player has or may have four (4) or more
Years of Service at any point during the Contract.

For example, a player with three (3) Years of Service would not
be eligible to sign a Two-Way Contract with a term of two
(2) years."
xdrta+
General Manager

Post#540 » by xdrta+ » Wed Oct 6, 2021 11:45 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
FNQ wrote:

I guess you're right, I'm not sure about Leaf signing for 2 years, though. It's a little confusing. This is how it reads in the CBA,

Article II:

"No Team may sign or convert a player to a Two-Way
Contract if the player has or may have four (4) or more
Years of Service at any point during the Contract.

For example, a player with three (3) Years of Service would not
be eligible to sign a Two-Way Contract with a term of two
(2) years."

EDIT: I think my mistake was not realizing that a Year of Service isn't counted until the year is complete. So a player with 3 years doesn't have 4 years of service until the 4th year is completed. So Khyri Thomas would be eligible,but I don't see how Leaf could sign for two years. Are you sure about that?

My mistake--you didn't say he signed for two years. I'm full of mistakes today.

Return to Golden State Warriors