ImageImageImageImageImage

Trades and Transactions, 2022 Edition

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Re: Offseason Trades and Transactions Ideas Thread Take 2 

Post#221 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:38 am

moocow007 wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
moocow007 wrote:Are you guys sure that you are thinking about the right Bey?

Saddiq Bey (the SF) is the intense Bey that is much better than and everything that Kevin Knox is not. Tyler Bey (the SF)? He's more like Knox brother from another mother. If this was Saddiq Bey, absolutely in a second. Tyler Bey?

Kinda like passing on a kick in the nuts in favor of a punch to the throat. Not exactly a thing you want to go running around slapping hands about.

im not seeing the tyler bey and knox comparison. Tyler Bey plays with a high motor and loves defense
Tyler Bey is a rangy, explosive forward with budding offensive potential, a terrific motor on the glass, and an intriguing combination of versatility and instincts on the defensive end. A lightly regarded recruit widely ranked outside of the top-100 prospects in the high school class of 2017 coming out of Middlebrooks Academy (CA), the Las Vegas native nonetheless started much of his first year under Head Coach Tad Boyle at Colorado. Showing significant growth during his sophomore season, Bey averaged 13.5 points and 9.9 rebounds nearly averaging a double-double.

He posted similar averages as a junior but helped lead Colorado to one of their best seasons in the last twenty years earning Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year honors in the process.

Standing 6-foot-7 with a solid 215-pound frame and a 7-foot-1 wingspan, Bey is a gifted athlete with good agility and impressive explosiveness.

Playing a somewhat unique role for the Buffaloes, Bey frequently operated one-on-one in the post, but provided some inside-outside shot making off the ball while impacting the game with his athleticism on the glass and in the open floor as well. A bouncy finisher who is still expanding the range on his jump shot, he has some promising tools on the offensive end.

Stuffing the stat sheet and possessing coveted versatility on the defensive end, Bey was a factor in the passing lanes, active on the glass, energetic as a rim protector, and held his own for stretches guarding a wide range of opposing scorers one-on-one.
Defensive Analysis

With a terrific combination of length, athleticism, and energy, Bey is an excellent rebounder who regularly goes outside of his area to pursue the ball, gets his hands on the ball in the passing lanes, and even shows the timing to meet finishers at the rim.

Allowing 0.48 points per isolation possession [85th percentile] and 0.82 points per post up possession [52nd percentile], Bey appeared more comfortable sliding with guards than banging with big men last season but possesses appealing versatility.

Career Highlights

2019-20 Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year.
Top-10 finalist for the 2019-20 Karl Malone Power Forward of the Year Award.
2018-19 All-Pac-12 First Team and 2019-20 All-Pac-12 Second Team selection.
2018-19 Pac-12 Most Improved Player.
Junior (2019-20)

Led the Pac-12 in rebounding (9.0 rpg), finished fifth in steals (1.55 spg) and ranked seventh in blocks (1.16 bpg).
Averaged 13.8 points on 53.0 percent shooting from the field (ninth in Pac-12).
Shot 13-for-30 (41.9) from three-point range after totaling five threes in his previous two seasons.
Set career highs with 19 rebounds and six assists to go with 11 points vs. Wyoming (Nov. 24).
Became the second conference Defensive Player of the Year in school history, joining Andre Roberson (2012-13).
NABC All-District 19 Second Team.
Strengths

Versatile defender with NBA-caliber athleticism.
Excels as both a rim protector and wing defender.
Uses his length and bounce to finish on offense.
Plays the game with a fearless attitude.

The point is that Tyler Bey really didn't look all that good in the NBA last season and he's been dumped by 2 teams since (Dallas and Houston). If he was what you indicated he would have neither looked bad (granted in limited play) nor been discarded (what you can argue Knox has looked and would have been done had he not been a lottery pick with a lottery pick sized guaranteed contract).

Not every college player translates to the NBA. I had mentioned even before the draft that you can't just look at his 3 point numbers in college and start saying he's a shooter. He has a slow release...which is a killer when trying to translate shooting to the NBA. Also he may have average NBA athleticism it's not elite for a wing...which will then impact on how much of a defender he can be in the NBA.

But more importantly, I got the sense that folks that were getting real excited was thinking about the other Bey. Saddiq Bey. Now he's a guy that is intense and can shoot and has actually shown he can play in the NBA. Saddiq Bey has the earmarks of a NY type of player...a tough, physical wing/forward that can contribute immediately if you were able to add him to this team.

Tyler Bey? I don't know that I would swap any of the current players on the Knicks roster for him (even just from a roster spot standpoint). Not Quentin Grimes (who I'm not a huge fan of), not Jericho Sims, certainly not Deuce McBride. Honestly I'm not even sure that swapping him out for Knox will do much of anything and Knox is probably the guy that's least valued on the roster all things factored in.

He's unbelievable in this highlights clip. :D

Bey did shoot 77% from the FT line on 27/35 in the G League. I guess he was hurt for a good part of the season because he only played in 18 games for the Mavs and a total of 13 games in the G-League. Did he get the virus?

Gun to my head, I think I'd try and see if Knox has improved. Maybe I'd trade him in a deadline deal.

POSTING POLICIES:
1. Posts are dictated but not proofread most of the time. It depends.
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#223 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:07 am

For al of his fans here, Daniel Oturu is available!!!

Read on Twitter
?s=20
POSTING POLICIES:
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#224 » by HEZI » Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:50 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:For al of his fans here, Daniel Oturu is available!!!

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Weren’t some folks crying about us trading a 2nd rounder for a future pick last draft and not picking him up?
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,175

Post#225 » by Clyde_Style » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:13 pm

Appleshampoo wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:What are Beyonce’s strengths as a basketball player?

Beyonce would be the Zach Randolph of the WNBA.

True, she’d crush your junk to board the glass
ImageImageImage
dukeknicksirish
Veteran
And1: 1,915

Post#226 » by dukeknicksirish » Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:08 pm

Sounds like Zion is starting to get impatient (or at least his camp is). But who can blame him? 3 coaches in 3 years , regressed level of talent around him in back to back to back years .

Is there any scenario that he fits next to Julius and Mitch? Randles 3P shooting improvement def helps , but does Mitch take the next step in that scenario?

And if so, who do we have to give up to acquire him? We don’t lack young talent or picks .
IUPUI Basketball Alum / Former College Coach
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#227 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:45 pm

HEZI wrote:

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Weren’t some folks crying about us trading a 2nd rounder for a future pick last draft and not picking him up?

Oh yeah. That’s why I posted it. I want to see if I can draw them out.
POSTING POLICIES:
Ray Williams
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,356

Post#228 » by Ray Williams » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:35 pm

https://prosportsextra.com/new-york-knicks-should-trade-for-zion-williamson-right-now/

Got to do it if their proposed trade is available, I would rather keep Mitch and give up Julius.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#229 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:30 pm

Ray Williams wrote:https://prosportsextra.com/new-york-knicks-should-trade-for-zion-williamson-right-now/

Got to do it if their proposed trade is available, I would rather keep Mitch and give up Julius.

Julius and Zion in the starting lineup?

RJ
Zion
Randle
Kemba
Fournier
POSTING POLICIES:
Ray Williams
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,356

Post#230 » by Ray Williams » Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:39 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Ray Williams wrote:https://prosportsextra.com/new-york-knicks-should-trade-for-zion-williamson-right-now/

Julius and Zion in the starting lineup?

RJ
Zion
Randle
Kemba
Fournier

I know, that’s why I’d rather give up Julius than Mitch.

Mitch
Zion
RJ
Kemba
Fournier

That team can do some damage
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#231 » by Marty McFly » Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:50 pm

Mitch wouldn't fit in a front court with Zion either way.
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#232 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:10 am

Marty McFly wrote:

Randle’s better than Zion anyhow. Better passer. Better 3-point shooter.
POSTING POLICIES:
Juggynaut
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,815

Post#233 » by Juggynaut » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:19 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Marty McFly wrote:

He's also a much better defender, but Zion at 21 was much better than Randle at 21. Zion has generational talent.
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#234 » by Marty McFly » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:21 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Marty McFly wrote:

he's a better three shooter and free throw shooter, and Zion's EFG still dwarfed Julius this past season. he shot 61% from the field. Julius is definitely not better overall. at best its a wash, and this was Julius' best season and just Zion's second.
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#235 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:03 am

Marty McFly wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Marty McFly wrote:

he's a better three shooter and free throw shooter, and Zion's EFG still dwarfed Julius this past season. he shot 61% from the field. Julius is definitely not better overall. at best its a wash, and this was Julius' best season and just Zion's second.

Zion shoots under 30% from 3. Most of the 61% comes from within 3' of the hoop. We already have Mitch to do that and Mitch is a true center who will protect the rim. So what are we getting with Zion and, if that's so great, then why aren't the Pelicans winning with him. We didn't have a great lineup going into last season either.

Bottom line, pairing Zion with Randle doesn't make much basketball sense. But it's a great marketing play.
POSTING POLICIES:
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#236 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:25 am

Words of wisdom from basketball genius Leon Rose. This quote is from a Q and A he had with Ian Begley I got from a Macri email:

Lastly, Leon Rose spoke about toeing the line between expedience and patience:

We’re gonna be aggressive as far as knowing what’s going on and as far as being on top of things and looking at opportunities. But at the same time, we’re gonna be prudent and disciplined in decisions that we make.

:roll:
POSTING POLICIES:
WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,478

Post#237 » by WargamesX » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:10 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Marty McFly wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Zion shoots under 30% from 3. Most of the 61% comes from within 3' of the hoop. We already have Mitch to do that and Mitch is a true center who will protect the rim. So what are we getting with Zion and, if that's so great, then why aren't the Pelicans winning with him. We didn't have a great lineup going into last season either.

Bottom line, pairing Zion with Randle doesn't make much basketball sense. But it's a great marketing play.

I think it’s weird to say we got to trade for someone when we got so many new pieces and are gearing up for a playoff push. We might have all the pieces now except a transcendent talent on the roster. Let’s see where the Knicks are in December.
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
dukeknicksirish
Veteran
And1: 1,915

Post#238 » by dukeknicksirish » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:30 am

It’ll all work out fine guys… here is why:

In 2023/24 FA we have Team Options on for Rose , Burks , Noel that equal $35 million. We know KAT will be coming , and to clear the way, we offer Mitch , Burks, and a future protected first to retain rights for KAT and extend him.

The Pelicans will know they either lose Zion or trade him for something. Us knowing he’s coming anyways, we don’t have to spend for him.

Entering the 24/25 season , Zion will be a FA and Randle will be in his final year before his player option.

Knowing we are getting Zion, we negotiate a trade that allows Randle to help a team win out west (Dallas or Houston) while maintaining cap space and collecting picks / youth.

After resigning RJ, having the final year of Fournier and developing our youth , the 2025 Knicks are

IQ/ McBride
RJ / Grimes
Fournier
Zion / Obi
KAT / Sims

And the East is ours. Balanced. As all things should be
IUPUI Basketball Alum / Former College Coach
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#239 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:18 am

WargamesX wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Marty McFly wrote:

I think it’s weird to say we got to trade for someone when we got so many new pieces and are gearing up for a playoff push. We might have all the pieces now except a transcendent talent on the roster. Let’s see where the Knicks are in December.

Is he a winning NBA player? Does he make those around him better? And what’s his health going forward?
POSTING POLICIES:
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,994

Post#240 » by Nazrmohamed » Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:20 pm

HEZI wrote:

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Yep, it just shows you how much of a crap shoot the draft is and how once you get out of the lottery it really becomes all about team needs and fitting into a specific role. At the same time it doesn't prove those players weren't necessarily nba players. I've seen teams waive a vet they know can play but want to develop young players. I've seen teams waive developmental players because they wanna win now. Again, alot of it is situational and sometimes a crazy as it sounds the team is doing a player a favor by cutting them this way they can catch on somewhere else.

Never let some forum member make you feel dumb or act like they know it all cuz guess what? Scouts and GMs make mistakes all the time.

Return to New York Knicks