ImageImageImage

Welcome Charles Bassey

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

TTP
Head Coach
And1: 4,398

Re: Welcome Charles Bassey 

Post#61 » by TTP » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:53 pm

Nice to see them get the deal done before the start of training camp so he doesn't end up too far behind.
jonjames is a signature bet welcher.

Appostis wrote:You're friend ..is a idiot.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,957

Post#62 » by ankle420breaker » Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:00 pm

Between him and Reed there should be a path for rotation minutes at the 4. Reed should have the advantage, but looking forward to seeing how Bassey's game translates. Kind of reminds me of a homeless man's David West.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,063

Post#63 » by Kobblehead » Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:08 pm

ankle420breaker wrote:Between him and Reed there should be a path for rotation minutes at the 4. Reed should have the advantage, but looking forward to seeing how Bassey's game translates. Kind of reminds me of a homeless man's David West.

You see Bassey playing PF?

I kind of view him strictly as a C. Especially on defense. He's a textbook rim protector.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,957

Post#64 » by ankle420breaker » Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:31 pm

I'm sure he'll play some C when Embiid sits, but I definitely see him as more of a 4 in the NBA. Adept at popping and running P&R sets with some ability to space.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#65 » by Kobblehead » Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:55 pm

I think lineups where Bassey is the 2nd biggest player (!) are going to have major issues defensively.

Offensively, he seems most comfortable scoring in all the typical C ways.

HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,478

Post#66 » by HartfordWhalers » Mon Oct 4, 2021 11:23 pm

SixthStreet wrote:Wow, the agent actually got a partial year two guarantee. I'm sure he'll get some more fringe NBA clients as a result. Nice job by him.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/philadelphia-76ers/charles-bassey-74160/

Looks like it was just 75k gtd. Nice spin on it though.
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Post#67 » by Foshan » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:19 am

I know he got off to a rough start with the team, but I hope he can get on the court, would be nice to have some young jumping legs under the hoop to come in when Drummond looks like he can't get any lift, and try to keep him fresher for the end of the game.

Since we are running a ton of pick and rolls, doesn't seem like it would be too hard for him to get in and not be in the way.
blargh
Pro Prospect
And1: 580

Post#68 » by blargh » Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:21 am

The shotblocking translates, for sure. On another team, that might earn him some minutes, but his path to playing time here is hard to see.
blargh
Pro Prospect
And1: 580

Post#69 » by blargh » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:13 pm

The kid has to learn to block out, but keeping Tristan Thompson off the boards as a rookie is tough. On a positive note, he’s not terrified dribbling the ball: he actually brought it up court once or twice last night.
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,771

Post#70 » by Skates » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:06 am

Bassey looks like he has a very solid career as a backup big ahead of him. Rim protects, rebounds, dives hard on the PNR, good hands and athleticism and pretty composed and high basketball IQ for a rook that didn't play SL and not fully in training camp. Right now he solidly deserves a spot over BBall Paul who is more of an energy, jumpstart player till he can harness his own very unique skillset.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#71 » by Kobblehead » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:15 pm

Rebounding percentages, block percentages, and free throw percentages are all looking great. Which are the only things I care about for a big.

He needs more minutes. He should have been playing 20+ mpg this whole time while Embiid was out. Missed opportunity for Doc to get some development in.
Embiid P
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,069

Post#72 » by Embiid P » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:52 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Rebounding percentages, block percentages, and free throw percentages are all looking great. Which are the only things I care about for a big.

He needs more minutes. He should have been playing 20+ mpg this whole time while Embiid was out. Missed opportunity for Doc to get some development in.

Agreed. The experiment with the Minivan at the 5 hasn't worked at all. Although I will say that Reed is better suited to defending stretch bigs like Jokic than Bassey.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,346

Post#73 » by 76ciology » Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:27 am

This guy is good. I think he can get you double double with around 2blks per game if you give him a bigger role and minutes. You probably can get a mid to late first round pick for him. Teams like the Mavs or the Hornets maybe willing to give a first for this guy.

What’s missing from this guy is being a lob threat that a lot of teams look for nowadays.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,682

Post#74 » by phillynative » Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:10 pm

76ciology wrote:This guy is good. I think he can get you double double with around 2blks per game if you give him a bigger role and minutes. You probably can get a mid to late first round pick for him. Teams like the Mavs or the Hornets maybe willing to give a first for this guy.

What’s missing from this guy is being a lob threat that a lot of teams look for nowadays.

Need to see him more to really see if his game can stick but so far I like what I see. Hes not huge for a 5 but strong, with long arms and sneaky athleticism. Rim protection and finishing under the basket at some point we may see some pick and pop ability.

I like him over Reed who seems more of a tweener project for a rebuilding team. Neither are going to get huge opportunities to grow on the floor under Doc and a MVP caliber big in front of them. But atleast Bassey already can bang with bigs, box out , block some shots and still athletic enough to finish right now as a back up.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,762

Post#75 » by mjkvol » Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:19 pm

phillynative wrote:
76ciology wrote:This guy is good. I think he can get you double double with around 2blks per game if you give him a bigger role and minutes. You probably can get a mid to late first round pick for him. Teams like the Mavs or the Hornets maybe willing to give a first for this guy.

Need to see him more to really see if his game can stick but so far I like what I see. Hes not huge for a 5 but strong, with long arms and sneaky athleticism. Rim protection and finishing under the basket at some point we may see some pick and pop ability.

I like him over Reed who seems more of a tweener project for a rebuilding team. Neither are going to get huge opportunities to grow on the floor under Doc and a MVP caliber big in front of them. But atleast Bassey already can bang with bigs, box out , block some shots and still athletic enough to finish right now as a back up.

Everyone talks about what we can get for him, while I see our backup 5 for the next 2-3 years on a rookie contract. Move Dtummond at the deadline to get back some draft capital and let this kid play and develop. Doc needs to be given no choice but to let Bassey and to an extent Reed play so they might be of situational value in the playoffs.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Tomjas
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,173

Post#76 » by Tomjas » Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:23 pm

Doc is not a development coach and there’s years of evidence
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,346

Post#77 » by 76ciology » Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:00 pm

phillynative wrote:

The way I see how Morey and Doc run this team.

They acknowledge Biid misses a lot of games, and how this team is built for a center. So they so far always have a reliable 2nd stringer C. Bassey now plays as a third stringer in case Biid does not play or like recently, as a second stringer in case Drum does not play.

Then Reed is here to defend the lenghty star forwards of the east like Siakam and Giannis. Maybe even probably Durant.

But like you, between the two, I prefer Bassey. But I like Reed’s performance whenever we face Giannis and Siakam, seems like he has the tools to slow both of them down.

If Raps has Marc Gasol or Baynes to slowdown Biid, we have Reed to slowdown these forwards. :D
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#78 » by mjkvol » Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:35 pm

76ciology wrote:Then Reed is here to defend the lenghty star forwards of the east like Siakam and Giannis. Maybe even probably Durant.

This is exactly why Reed is a valuable guy to have at the end of your bench. Like the lefty reliever whose job is to face that tough lefty hitter in key spots in the post-season. Those guys get paid well to throw a handful of innings a season, and like them a defensive stopper who might slow down a Giannis or Durant in a big playoff game is a good guy to keep around.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,682

Post#79 » by phillynative » Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:56 pm

I hope you guys are right about Reed. It seems Doc isn't really high on him. Would like to see him play some spot mins defending against big wings/mobile 4s. Niang and Tobi just aren't going to get it done there.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#80 » by mjkvol » Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:26 pm

phillynative wrote:I hope you guys are right about Reed. It seems Doc isn't really high on him. Would like to see him play some spot mins defending against big wings/mobile 4s. Niang and Tobi just aren't going to get it done there.

Doc is never high on any young player, that's why none will ever develop here. My point is, let's see what Reed and Bassey have to offer right now so we know what we have come playoff time. Seems logical, not that that ever means anything.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers