ImageImageImageImageImage

2021 Knicks Offseason-Training Camp News and Videos

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,918

Re: 2021 Knicks Offseason-Training Camp News and Videos 

Post#721 » by F N 11 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:45 pm

Wayne Selden the sniper lives.

Good job by the players and staff getting vaccinated.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,223

Post#722 » by Clyde_Style » Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:50 pm

HerSports85 wrote:Love Mitch but I just can’t get attached to him. He can never stay on the court, rather it’s injury or fouls, it’s always something

He adjusted the foul issue quite well though
ImageImageImage
F N 11
RealGM

Post#723 » by F N 11 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:53 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
HerSports85 wrote:Love Mitch but I just can’t get attached to him. He can never stay on the court, rather it’s injury or fouls, it’s always something

He adjusted the foul issue quite though

I’m not giving up on Mitch. His defensive impact is too crazy. Without him, who knows if we start off the season with that defensive focus. When he got hurt we slacks we slacked off on defense for a while. With him we dominate ATL.
NYKat
RealGM
And1: 4,395

Post#724 » by NYKat » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:00 pm

This is first time in a while that I can remember we enter training camp like a structured, competent organization with solid positive expectations, a balanced roster, and no drama

It took Leon Rose all of 20 seconds to acknowledge the elephant in the conference room.

The Knicks president had not hosted a news conference in more than a year until he, general manager Scott Perry and head coach Tom Thibodeau held a media availability Friday afternoon at the team’s practice facility.

“I know you guys have been looking for me,” Rose stated.

Thibodeau did more of the talking during the 40-minute meeting, but Rose led off with an extended opening statement, which included his first public comments about the Knicks’ offseason.

He called 2020-21 — when the team finished a surprising 41-31, climbed to fourth in the Eastern Conference and lost in the first round of the playoffs to the Hawks — “definitely a successful season.”

He fixated on the organizational culture, which he called “incredible,” referencing the job Thibodeau did during his first season in New York when he earned NBA Coach of the Year honors.

Rose focused on continuity, a concept Perry reiterated later, as well. The Knicks re-signed four free agents this summer: Alec Burks, Nerlens Noel, Derrick Rose and Taj Gibson. They picked up Mitchell Robinson’s team option and extended Julius Randle, too. They could have as many as eight or nine rotation players returning, depending on health and who Thibodeau chooses to play.

“As you look around the league, teams that improve tend to have a lot of the same guys back,” Perry said. “You’ve got to be able to have enough time to develop a core group of guys, so that was reflective of what we did this summer.”

The Jazz, who moved from the middle to the top of the Western Conference a season ago, are the most recent example of familiarity leading to regular-season wins.

The Knicks are banking on continuing the trend, even as Eastern Conference rivals loaded up this summer. There is a world where teams like New York and Atlanta are better than they were a year ago but still finish with a worse winning percentage than they had in 2020-21. Such is life when the Heat and Bulls bulk up; the Raptors stop playing 100 percent of their games on the road; the Celtics remove themselves from pandemic quirkiness, which included a long COVID-19 stint for Jayson Tatum; the Pacers get healthier and fix their coaching situation; the Wizards reshuffle; and the Nets and world-champion Bucks continue to exist.

The East is no cakewalk anymore.

But the Knicks added, too.

Rose called free-agent signings Kemba Walker and Evan Fournier, “two excellent basketball players.”

“Their résumés speak for themselves,” he said. “But just as importantly, (they are) guys that we felt would fit into this culture, that would fit into what coach and his staff are about.”

He said the Knicks were “thrilled” to extend Randle, the reigning All-NBA forward who signed a four-year, $117 million deal over the summer. He is now under contract through 2026.

“Julius setting the tone for this team, his work ethic, his commitment and those things are so important for us as a group,” Rose said. “For us to be able to lock in with Julius long term and him being that guy was very important to us.”

Rose spoke about roster flexibility, as well.

In recent years, the Knicks have focused on one-year contracts, leaving cap space open for the following summer, just in case they were able to use it. But this offseason, they handed out long-term money.

Randle landed the extension. Noel, Rose and Burks each received two years, plus the Knicks special: a team option. New York no longer has meaningful cap space in 2022, though there are certainly ways it could free up dollars, if necessary.

“We want to remain flexible and we’ve done that,” Rose said. “You look at over the next four years, we’ve got 15 draft picks, nine second-rounders and six first-rounders. … Our young guys have been in here all summer. Coach and his staff have been in here all summer working in order to develop the players. We are looking forward to seeing the growth in our players that have been here all summer.”

He said the team’s draft-night deals when it traded down from Nos. 19 and 21 to recoup a bunch of other picks, was “all part of maintaining flexibility,” too. The Knicks now have two rookies on guaranteed contracts: No. 25 pick Quinten Grimes and No. 36 pick Miles McBride.

They own the Hornets’ protected 2022 first-round pick and the Mavericks’ protected 2023 first-rounder, as well as all of their future firsts.

Here are some more thoughts from Friday afternoon’s session with Rose, Perry and Thibodeau:

Vaccination update
With training camp beginning Tuesday for the Knicks, one potential concern is off the table.

“I’m proud to say that our organization — players, coaches and staff — 100 percent vaccinated,” Perry said. “And I think it’s a credit to our players, in particular, that they took this thing very seriously and took the responsibility to get that done.

“So, we’re very proud of that fact, and we’re gonna move forward.”

The news isn’t crucial only for health reasons. There are basketball consequences, too.

NBA players receive lighter restrictions throughout the season if they are vaccinated. Some protocols affect playing time. An unvaccinated player, for example, has to quarantine for a week if he comes in close contact with a positive COVID-19 case. A vaccinated player does not.

Most importantly, according to a recent New York City law, unvaccinated Knicks and Nets players would not be allowed to play in home games. The Golden State Warriors have similar restrictions in San Francisco, which released a comparable ordinance.

“This is something that we’ve been on top of really the entire year and again, just proud of our players for really stepping up and doing their part in this,” Perry said. “We’re an organization that will follow laws and mandates from the leagues and state government, but a lot of this was internally driven.”

Injury update
There are no mind-numbing details to report on Kemba Walker’s knee, which plagued the point guard throughout last season.

When a reporter asked how Walker’s knee was, Rose responded, “We have a great medical staff that’s working with Kemba, and we’re just looking forward to seeing him on the court.”

The team hasn’t yet detailed a load management plan for Walker, who did not play in both games of any back-to-backs last season in Boston. But Thibodeau lent some insight into the process of making one, which involves more than just coaches and doctors. Walker is a part of figuring out how often he will play, too.

“I think you have to look at it from (Walker’s) perspective, too. Like, what does he think?” Thibodeau said. “This guy has managed his career a long time. So, what’s the best for him? And then you’ve got to look at, what’s the end game? Was it better for him in the end (to sit out half of all back-to-backs last year) or was it not? So, I think you have to take the information in. You have to talk to him. You have to see how it feels. You have to talk to the medical people and go from there.

“I don’t want him to limit himself in terms of what he can do. We have to trust the player. We talk to Derrick (Rose) about that – if he needs time off, he’ll get it. If he can play, I want him to play. I think that’s important. I think you prepare yourself to play a season.”

Robinson, who is recovering from foot surgery, hasn’t been able to play this summer, per Thibodeau.

“He’s put a lot of time into conditioning, strength and conditioning and whatever he’s allowed to do — being in the pool, weight training, form shooting, watching a lot of film,” Thibodeau said.

Rose called Robinson’s return “a work in progress.”

Added Thibodeau: “We’ll see how it unfolds but we’re not going to rush. We’re going step by step.”

Perry extension
Randle wasn’t the only Knick to secure an extension this summer. The team also signed Perry, who originally joined the organization when Steve Mills was running the front office, to a new deal back in July.

“First of all, Scott and I have had a longstanding relationship from when I was on the other side of the table,” said Rose, who was a player agent at CAA for years before taking over the Knicks in 2020. “Last year was that opportunity for us. You’ve got to see how you work with somebody and that’s basically what we did, and it went very smoothly.

“Scott has done a very good job and I rely on him for many things. He’s a seasoned veteran with a lot of relationships and you know it’s been a pleasure. I’m very happy he stayed on with us.”

Perry chimed in, as well.

“I’m just happy he doesn’t take advantage of me like he did on the other side,” he said. “Now we’re on the same team, and it’s been great.”
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#725 » by Clyde_Style » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:15 pm

NYKat wrote:This is first time in a while that I can remember we enter training camp like a structured, competent organization with solid positive expectations, a balanced roster, and no drama

Spoiler:
It took Leon Rose all of 20 seconds to acknowledge the elephant in the conference room.

The Knicks president had not hosted a news conference in more than a year until he, general manager Scott Perry and head coach Tom Thibodeau held a media availability Friday afternoon at the team’s practice facility.

Thibodeau did more of the talking during the 40-minute meeting, but Rose led off with an extended opening statement, which included his first public comments about the Knicks’ offseason.

He called 2020-21 — when the team finished a surprising 41-31, climbed to fourth in the Eastern Conference and lost in the first round of the playoffs to the Hawks — “definitely a successful season.”

He fixated on the organizational culture, which he called “incredible,” referencing the job Thibodeau did during his first season in New York when he earned NBA Coach of the Year honors.

Rose focused on continuity, a concept Perry reiterated later, as well. The Knicks re-signed four free agents this summer: Alec Burks, Nerlens Noel, Derrick Rose and Taj Gibson. They picked up Mitchell Robinson’s team option and extended Julius Randle, too. They could have as many as eight or nine rotation players returning, depending on health and who Thibodeau chooses to play.

“As you look around the league, teams that improve tend to have a lot of the same guys back,” Perry said. “You’ve got to be able to have enough time to develop a core group of guys, so that was reflective of what we did this summer.”

The Jazz, who moved from the middle to the top of the Western Conference a season ago, are the most recent example of familiarity leading to regular-season wins.

The Knicks are banking on continuing the trend, even as Eastern Conference rivals loaded up this summer. There is a world where teams like New York and Atlanta are better than they were a year ago but still finish with a worse winning percentage than they had in 2020-21. Such is life when the Heat and Bulls bulk up; the Raptors stop playing 100 percent of their games on the road; the Celtics remove themselves from pandemic quirkiness, which included a long COVID-19 stint for Jayson Tatum; the Pacers get healthier and fix their coaching situation; the Wizards reshuffle; and the Nets and world-champion Bucks continue to exist.

Rose called free-agent signings Kemba Walker and Evan Fournier, “two excellent basketball players.”

“Their résumés speak for themselves,” he said. “But just as importantly, (they are) guys that we felt would fit into this culture, that would fit into what coach and his staff are about.”

He said the Knicks were “thrilled” to extend Randle, the reigning All-NBA forward who signed a four-year, $117 million deal over the summer. He is now under contract through 2026.

“Julius setting the tone for this team, his work ethic, his commitment and those things are so important for us as a group,” Rose said. “For us to be able to lock in with Julius long term and him being that guy was very important to us.”

In recent years, the Knicks have focused on one-year contracts, leaving cap space open for the following summer, just in case they were able to use it. But this offseason, they handed out long-term money.

Randle landed the extension. Noel, Rose and Burks each received two years, plus the Knicks special: a team option. New York no longer has meaningful cap space in 2022, though there are certainly ways it could free up dollars, if necessary.

“We want to remain flexible and we’ve done that,” Rose said. “You look at over the next four years, we’ve got 15 draft picks, nine second-rounders and six first-rounders. … Our young guys have been in here all summer. Coach and his staff have been in here all summer working in order to develop the players. We are looking forward to seeing the growth in our players that have been here all summer.”

He said the team’s draft-night deals when it traded down from Nos. 19 and 21 to recoup a bunch of other picks, was “all part of maintaining flexibility,” too. The Knicks now have two rookies on guaranteed contracts: No. 25 pick Quinten Grimes and No. 36 pick Miles McBride.

They own the Hornets’ protected 2022 first-round pick and the Mavericks’ protected 2023 first-rounder, as well as all of their future firsts.

Here are some more thoughts from Friday afternoon’s session with Rose, Perry and Thibodeau:

Vaccination update
With training camp beginning Tuesday for the Knicks, one potential concern is off the table.

“I’m proud to say that our organization — players, coaches and staff — 100 percent vaccinated,” Perry said. “And I think it’s a credit to our players, in particular, that they took this thing very seriously and took the responsibility to get that done.

The news isn’t crucial only for health reasons. There are basketball consequences, too.

NBA players receive lighter restrictions throughout the season if they are vaccinated. Some protocols affect playing time. An unvaccinated player, for example, has to quarantine for a week if he comes in close contact with a positive COVID-19 case. A vaccinated player does not.

Most importantly, according to a recent New York City law, unvaccinated Knicks and Nets players would not be allowed to play in home games. The Golden State Warriors have similar restrictions in San Francisco, which released a comparable ordinance.

“This is something that we’ve been on top of really the entire year and again, just proud of our players for really stepping up and doing their part in this,” Perry said. “We’re an organization that will follow laws and mandates from the leagues and state government, but a lot of this was internally driven.”

Injury update
There are no mind-numbing details to report on Kemba Walker’s knee, which plagued the point guard throughout last season.

When a reporter asked how Walker’s knee was, Rose responded, “We have a great medical staff that’s working with Kemba, and we’re just looking forward to seeing him on the court.”

The team hasn’t yet detailed a load management plan for Walker, who did not play in both games of any back-to-backs last season in Boston. But Thibodeau lent some insight into the process of making one, which involves more than just coaches and doctors. Walker is a part of figuring out how often he will play, too.

“I think you have to look at it from (Walker’s) perspective, too. Like, what does he think?” Thibodeau said. “This guy has managed his career a long time. So, what’s the best for him? And then you’ve got to look at, what’s the end game? Was it better for him in the end (to sit out half of all back-to-backs last year) or was it not? So, I think you have to take the information in. You have to talk to him. You have to see how it feels. You have to talk to the medical people and go from there.

“I don’t want him to limit himself in terms of what he can do. We have to trust the player. We talk to Derrick (Rose) about that – if he needs time off, he’ll get it. If he can play, I want him to play. I think that’s important. I think you prepare yourself to play a season.”

Robinson, who is recovering from foot surgery, hasn’t been able to play this summer, per Thibodeau.

“He’s put a lot of time into conditioning, strength and conditioning and whatever he’s allowed to do — being in the pool, weight training, form shooting, watching a lot of film,” Thibodeau said.

Added Thibodeau: “We’ll see how it unfolds but we’re not going to rush. We’re going step by step.”

Perry extension
Randle wasn’t the only Knick to secure an extension this summer. The team also signed Perry, who originally joined the organization when Steve Mills was running the front office, to a new deal back in July.

“First of all, Scott and I have had a longstanding relationship from when I was on the other side of the table,” said Rose, who was a player agent at CAA for years before taking over the Knicks in 2020. “Last year was that opportunity for us. You’ve got to see how you work with somebody and that’s basically what we did, and it went very smoothly.

“Scott has done a very good job and I rely on him for many things. He’s a seasoned veteran with a lot of relationships and you know it’s been a pleasure. I’m very happy he stayed on with us.”

“I’m just happy he doesn’t take advantage of me like he did on the other side,” he said. “Now we’re on the same team, and it’s been great.”

Really solid all-around vibe. Rose has been very refreshing in how he has gone about his job with no public drama, no leaks, unity and vision. I’m impressed.

I also like what Thibs said about Kemba. I just hope that translates well with Kemba having a realistic sense of his physical limits and how to stay fresh into the playoffs if he can remain relatively injury-free. If Thibs means that, it’s a good sign that our rotation will expand and we’ll be seeing Deuce in the pocket this year. I hope Grimes gets some minutes so we can see how his game translates too.
ImageImageImage
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#726 » by Clyde_Style » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:17 pm

F N 11 wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

I’m not giving up on Mitch. His defensive impact is too crazy. Without him, who knows if we start off the season with that defensive focus. When he got hurt we slacks we slacked off on defense for a while. With him we dominate ATL.

A healthy Mitch should result in multiple fast break opportunities per game and we have a squad that can convert on the break

Mitch should work on his outlet passing IMO
ImageImageImage
Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,365

Post#727 » by Zenzibar » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:19 pm

NYKat wrote:This is first time in a while that I can remember we enter training camp like a structured, competent organization with solid positive expectations, a balanced roster, and no drama

Vaccination update

Injury update

Perry extension

Great post!
Can't express how fortunate we are to have Don Leon at the head of the table:
A nice mix of excellent and talented veterans ad talented kids.
Expiring contracts in 2 years, great hiring in Brock Aller. His sig is all over this.
Elite coaching staff.
Great environment, i.e. everyone associated with the team is vacc'd in order to move this along quickly.
and
14 picks in the next 4 years!!!! When have we? NEVER.
Stop All Genocides
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,625

Post#728 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:45 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Free Palestine
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,371
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#729 » by BKlutch » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:35 pm

Zenzibar wrote:

Vaccination update

Injury update

Perry extension

Great post!
Can't express how fortunate we are to have Don Leon at the head of the table:
A nice mix of excellent and talented veterans ad talented kids.
Expiring contracts in 2 years, great hiring in Brock Aller. His sig is all over this.
Elite coaching staff.
Great environment, i.e. everyone associated with the team is vacc'd in order to move this along quickly.
and
14 picks in the next 4 years!!!! When have we? NEVER.

Anybody going to feel sorry for Berman? He has no drama to report on. This team is so together he can't even make up rumors that stick. And now that he's charging for views of his articles, he doesn't have many readers, either.

So sorry - we fans are going to be forced to enjoy the basketball games instead of quarreling with one another about all the drama (that no longer exists). O M G!

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

F N 11
RealGM

Post#730 » by F N 11 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:52 pm

We are not use to the knicks being so structured.
TheGreenArrow
RealGM
And1: 33,209

Post#731 » by TheGreenArrow » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:09 pm

Read on Twitter

Drose looking spry & healthy!!!!!
Juggynaut
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,815

Post#732 » by Juggynaut » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:21 pm

Read on Twitter
BugginOut
Head Coach
And1: 7,829

Post#733 » by BugginOut » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:43 pm

TheGreenArrow wrote:
Read on Twitter

Really hope Rose keeps up his health and high level of play for the rest of his contract. Would love for him to have a 6MOY type season and build a legacy with the Knicks
HighRyzer83
RealGM
And1: 4,487

Post#734 » by HighRyzer83 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:52 pm

F N 11 wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

Agreed on his defensive impact. He covers so much ground it's insane. But I think his offensive liability is mostly a myth. A young Shaq scored on nothing but rebounds and dunks. They also said he was offensively limited, despite doubling the points of the killed and finessed variety. Not saying it's the same talent level but true in concept.
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#735 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:56 pm

HighRyzer83 wrote:
F N 11 wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

Agreed on his defensive impact. He covers so much ground, it's truly elite level. But I think his offensive liability is mostly a myth. A young Shaq scored on nothing but rebounds and dunks. They also said he was offensively limited, despite doubling the points of the killed and finessed variety. Not saying it's the same comparison but true in concept.

My reply to the doubters has been Mitch’s dominance around the rim will open up our offense even more when he is surrounded by snipers. Seems some only value him if he’s shooting jumpers when I think that is entirely besides the point and wouldn’t enhance our spacing that much anyway. His range on defense is what matters, not offense.
ImageImageImage
BBALLER4FR
RealGM
And1: 8,176

Post#736 » by BBALLER4FR » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:46 pm

Juggynaut wrote:
Read on Twitter

OK Julius. That shooting looks effortless.

Those last 70 seconds, Randle in a nut shell.

Awful 2 for 1 3PT attempt when we are up 2
Doesn’t close out on Sabonis --> open 3
Takes another side step off balance 3

We got sucked into the Randle vortex where all good feelings go to die.

Buttah304
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,650

Post#737 » by prophet_of_rage » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:43 am

HighRyzer83 wrote:
F N 11 wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

Agreed on his defensive impact. He covers so much ground it's insane. But I think his offensive liability is mostly a myth. A young Shaq scored on nothing but rebounds and dunks. They also said he was offensively limited, despite doubling the points of the killed and finessed variety. Not saying it's the same talent level but true in concept.
Young Shaq was mobile and had a jump hook. His offence was nothing like Mitch's. Shaq you could throw to for a post up.

Mitch isn't a post up threat. He's a lob threat. So you need penetrative to make him a scoring threat. Which means he'll only really score if a ballhandler is doubled and can find him. He needs to be spoon fed.

Sent from my SM-N970W using Tapatalk
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,707

Post#738 » by Knicksfan1992 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:10 am

BugginOut wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:
Read on Twitter

Really hope Rose keeps up his health and high level of play for the rest of his contract. Would love for him to have a 6MOY type season and build a legacy with the Knicks

Feels like people forget how good Rose was for us last year when projecting us out this year. I really wonder what our record would have been if Rose didn't miss a month with COVID. Now we're going to actually be able to rest him and give him an appropriate work load because we have Kemba and 2nd year IQ spelling him? I'm excited to see what he doe this year. We were 28-22 when Rose played last year which is good for about a 46 win pace over 82 games. WOuldn't be shocked if we can reach that total and then some this year if everything goes right.
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#739 » by Clyde_Style » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:16 am

prophet_of_rage wrote:
HighRyzer83 wrote:
F N 11 wrote:I’m not giving up on Mitch. His defensive impact is too crazy. Without him, who knows if we start off the season with that defensive focus. When he got hurt we slacks we slacked off on defense for a while. With him we dominate ATL.

Young Shaq was mobile and had a jump hook. His offence was nothing like Mitch's. Shaq you could throw to for a post up.

Mitch isn't a post up threat. He's a lob threat. So you need penetrative to make him a scoring threat. Which means he'll only really score if a ballhandler is doubled and can find him. He needs to be spoon fed.

Sent from my SM-N970W using Tapatalk

He’s a massive second chance put back threat too which does impact team offensive efficiency. He set the record for Fg% record because of it for crying out loud. And that kind of threat makes it very hard on opposing defenses if you have perimeter scorers they must cover. They can’t pack the paint or board as well which amplifies Mitch’s value down low. Watch what happens now that we will have multiple legit shooters on the floor at all times. Mitch on offense will be a bigger threat without him leaving the paint. Yeah, rim runner is a bigger weapon now that the roster is balancing out
ImageImageImage
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,281

Post#740 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:26 pm

TheGreenArrow wrote:
Read on Twitter

From day 1, even when he was possibly the most explosive NBA player ever, Rose has always had a gym rat's game.

Return to New York Knicks