Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Nigel Tufnel
Sophomore
And1: 76

Re: Bradley Beal - Part III 

Post#1661 » by Nigel Tufnel » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:01 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Dat2U wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Got it. So Kyrie Irving is a problem for Brooklyn, but Beal should be fine with Washington.

As I understand it, Kyrie will not be able to play in home games in NY, so that could be a problem.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1662 » by Ruzious » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:17 pm

Nigel Tufnel wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
Dat2U wrote:

As I understand it, Kyrie will not be able to play in home games in NY, so that could be a problem.

Yes, that's what I was getting at.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,335

Post#1663 » by dobrojim » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:12 pm

nate33 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:So, when do the Wiz start fining or withholding pay to Beal for refusing to get vaccinated? Does the NBA have a policy?

He has already had Covid. He is better protected and less of a threat to others than all the vaccinated people who haven't had Covid.

And he would in all likelihood be even better protected and safer to others with virtually no
downside risk if he got vaxd.

If he were deciding on a treatment and rehabilitation for a significant injury by
consulting ie doing his research watching YouTube vids rather than consulting experienced
and time proven doctors, very few people would call that wise. And they would be
right in that regard.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
Shanghai Kid
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#1664 » by Shanghai Kid » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:13 pm

Beal can feel how he feels, but why is he being so vocal about it?

The tweet that came out makes him seem to have taken the most aggressive public stance I've seen any athlete take.

Why not just stay quiet? Not a good look in any sense.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,334

Post#1665 » by nate33 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:28 pm

Mizerooskie wrote:
nate33 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:So, when do the Wiz start fining or withholding pay to Beal for refusing to get vaccinated? Does the NBA have a policy?

He has already had Covid. He is better protected and less of a threat to others than all the vaccinated people who haven't had Covid.

Not necessarily true, according to the latest data. https://www.nebraskamed.com/COVID/covid-19-studies-natural-immunity-versus-vaccination

If you've had COVID-19 before, does your natural immunity work better than a vaccine?

The data is clear: Natural immunity is not better. The COVID-19 vaccines create more effective and longer-lasting immunity than natural immunity from infection.

More than a third of COVID-19 infections result in zero protective antibodies
Natural immunity fades faster than vaccine immunity
Natural immunity alone is less than half as effective than natural immunity plus vaccination

That link is complete ****. They pointed to a single study made back in 2020 with a mere 156 people. The studied only measured antibody levels in the blood, which barely even helps stop the spread. What matters are the IgA antibodies in the mucous membranes. We have data from Israel showing natural immunity is between 13 and 27 times better than vaccination. We also have the Cleveland clinic study showing thousands of workers with virtually none getting reinfected. Those are real world studies.

I don't have time to go into detail right now because I'm at work, but I will refute all this stuff tonight.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1666 » by Ruzious » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:45 pm

nate33 wrote:
Mizerooskie wrote:
nate33 wrote:He has already had Covid. He is better protected and less of a threat to others than all the vaccinated people who haven't had Covid.

Not necessarily true, according to the latest data. https://www.nebraskamed.com/COVID/covid-19-studies-natural-immunity-versus-vaccination

If you've had COVID-19 before, does your natural immunity work better than a vaccine?

The data is clear: Natural immunity is not better. The COVID-19 vaccines create more effective and longer-lasting immunity than natural immunity from infection.

More than a third of COVID-19 infections result in zero protective antibodies
Natural immunity fades faster than vaccine immunity
Natural immunity alone is less than half as effective than natural immunity plus vaccination

That link is complete ****. They pointed to a single study made back in 2020 with a mere 156 people. The studied only measured antibody levels in the blood, which barely even helps stop the spread. What matters are the IgA antibodies in the mucous membranes. We have data from Israel showing natural immunity is between 13 and 27 times better than vaccination. We also have the Cleveland clinic study showing thousands of workers with virtually none getting reinfected. Those are real world studies.

I don't have time to go into detail right now because I'm at work, but I will refute all this stuff tonight.

If you're going to go into the scientific details and terminology that none of us are trained in, can you do it in the Covid thread - rather than infecting (see what I did there) basketball threads? The only reason I brought up Covid was to find out what Beal's situation with the NBA is - not a discussion of what's right or wrong and certainly not a scientifically detailed discussion.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1667 » by nate33 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:02 pm

Ruzious wrote:If you're going to go into the scientific details and terminology that none of us are trained in, can you do it in the Covid thread - rather than infecting (see what I did there) basketball threads? The only reason I brought up Covid was to find out what Beal's situation with the NBA is - not a discussion of what's right or wrong and certainly not a scientifically detailed discussion.

Good idea. I'll respond in the Covid thread.
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Post#1668 » by DCZards » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:40 pm

Shanghai Kid wrote:Beal can feel how he feels, but why is he being so vocal about it?

The tweet that came out makes him seem to have taken the most aggressive public stance I've seen any athlete take.

Why not just stay quiet? Not a good look in any sense.

While I largely disagree with Beal’s stance on getting vaccinated, I actually like and appreciate the fact that he was candid about where he stood on the issue.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,363

Post#1669 » by doclinkin » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:53 pm

Yeah he's a good interview. Solid guy.

I like that the guys showed up early in September to pick up Wes' coaching concepts.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#1670 » by Dat2U » Fri Oct 1, 2021 8:05 am

Knowing Ted Leonsis, I would assume there's a much higher chance the Wizards trade Beal now that he won't get vaxxed.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#1671 » by FAH1223 » Fri Oct 1, 2021 8:33 am

doclinkin wrote:Yeah he's a good interview. Solid guy.

I like that the guys showed up early in September to pick up Wes' coaching concepts.

Dennis Scott lost some weight!
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,915

Post#1672 » by CobraCommander » Fri Oct 1, 2021 3:20 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
doclinkin wrote:Yeah he's a good interview. Solid guy.

Dennis Scott lost some weight!

Best way to live longer and better as you age is to get that weight down...good on him
frothbrain
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,704

Post#1673 » by frothbrain » Sat Oct 2, 2021 6:58 am

Supporting Beal and the Wizards this season after watching Beal speak on natural immunity.
Takes bravery to voice an unpopular opinion, even if it's backed by scientific evidence and simple logic.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#1674 » by FAH1223 » Sat Oct 2, 2021 7:32 am

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Re: Official Trade Thread - Part XLII 

Post#1675 » by nate33 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:27 pm

FAH1223 wrote:They've already offered Brad the 4 year $181M extension on October 1, 2021.

You best believe they will offer the 5 year $240M max offer on July 1, 2022.

This is an interesting topic. How bad does Beal need to play this season for the Wizards to no longer extend a full supermax offer?

The best another team could offer is 4 years starting at $42.5M with 5% raises, which equals 4 years $183M. And I seriously doubt any half decent team can put together that kind of cap room. That would require that all other contracts on the books total just $77M. And even if a team had that kind of room, would they spend it on a 29-year-old shooting guard who's scoring efficiency just cratered under the new foul rules?

The Wizards currently have a fair amount of cap flexibility since they have Dinwiddie and Kuzma on decent deals, and Avdija, Hachimura and Gafford on rookie deals. But that's not going to last forever. Things will start getting difficult once Gafford makes $12M instead of $2M - particularly if we resign Harrell to $15M+ instead of Bryant to something more modest.

It would be best to frontload Beal's contract to the maximum extent possible. Make is so years 3 and 4 are substantially cheaper, allowing us to keep the team together.

I'd offer him a deal starting at a max salary, but decline by the maximum amount (8%) each year. So it would be: $42.5M, $40.3M, $38.2M, $36.1M, which totals $157.2M over 4 years. Give him the fifth year at $34M if he wants it.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,315

Post#1676 » by NatP4 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:16 pm

He’s getting the supermax or getting traded, no in between.

There’s no way in hell he’s worth a supermax though.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#1677 » by keynote » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:45 pm

Would any ringless franchise player in 2021 take less than the superMAX? Can Ted convince Beal to pull a Dirk?

https://www.businessinsider.com/dirk-nowitzki-discount-contracts-mavs-2017-7
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
bsilver
Pro Prospect
And1: 466

Re: Official Trade Thread - Part XLII 

Post#1678 » by bsilver » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:11 pm

nate33 wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:They've already offered Brad the 4 year $181M extension on October 1, 2021.

You best believe they will offer the 5 year $240M max offer on July 1, 2022.

This is an interesting topic. How bad does Beal need to play this season for the Wizards to no longer extend a full supermax offer?

The best another team could offer is 4 years starting at $42.5M with 5% raises, which equals 4 years $183M. And I seriously doubt any half decent team can put together that kind of cap room. That would require that all other contracts on the books total just $77M. And even if a team had that kind of room, would they spend it on a 29-year-old shooting guard who's scoring efficiency just cratered under the new foul rules?

The Wizards currently have a fair amount of cap flexibility since they have Dinwiddie and Kuzma on decent deals, and Avdija, Hachimura and Gafford on rookie deals. But that's not going to last forever. Things will start getting difficult once Gafford makes $12M instead of $2M - particularly if we resign Harrell to $15M+ instead of Bryant to something more modest.

It would be best to frontload Beal's contract to the maximum extent possible. Make is so years 3 and 4 are substantially cheaper, allowing us to keep the team together.

I'd offer him a deal starting at a max salary, but decline by the maximum amount (8%) each year. So it would be: $42.5M, $40.3M, $38.2M, $36.1M, which totals $157.2M over 4 years. Give him the fifth year at $34M if he wants it.

I think if he makes the all-star team they probably go ahead with the max offer. With his current numbers he shouldn't make the team, and management has sufficient cover to withdraw the offer. But who know what they're thinking. How anyone can think he's worth $40+M is beyond me.

I really like the rule changes, but it's impacted us a lot. Last year we led the league FTAs at 26.3. This year we're 5th at 21.8 which is pretty good. Difference is 5.5. Beal is down 3.5 FTAs from last year. Only teams with are bigger negative impact are New Orleans (-6.4) and Philadelphia (-7.8), but they're missing Williamson and Simmons.
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics — quote popularized by Mark Twain.
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Post#1679 » by DCZards » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:21 pm

Beal is not worth the supermax. In fact, there’s probably only about 10 NBA players worth that kind of money.

But BB deserves the max if he can get it. He’s almost single-handedly kept the Zards on life support the last few years…while dealing with an awful FO under EG and mediocre coaching.

I know I’m biased, but I hope Beal gets the max and spends the rest of his career in a Zards uni.
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#1680 » by I_Like_Dirt » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:25 pm

nate33 wrote:

Repeating this ad nauseum doesn't make it any less inaccurate.

That said, it's not an issue in this case given that Beal can play all the team's games and taking an adversarial position is a terrible idea.
Bucket! Bucket!

Return to Washington Wizards