ImageImageImage

Joel: unchained.

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,692

Joel: unchained. 

Post#1 » by rzzzzz » Fri Oct 1, 2021 1:21 pm

Did Embiid unload on Ben Simmons, and the team’s compromises on his behest, or what? Jo was furious about letting Jimmy go. But Brett and the front office had to accommodate Ben Simmon’s needs and aspiration, because Ben is incredibly athletic. If he could get his mind together, he would be some hybrid of Bron and the Freak. But his stubborn phobia led to an acute terror of 2nd round playoffs.
Passing up the tying dunk to avoid the and on free throw that would have put the Sixers up by one with 4 minutes to go in game 7 was the team’s transcendental moment of clarity. So vivid that Doc and Jo had to acknowledge it. And no matter how understated and coached those acknowledgements, Ben took flight. Pointing the finger.

So no more Ben. This is Joel’s team. I’m sure he would welcome Dame or Beal just as readily as Jimmy. But if Morey is smart, and he is, if he can’t build a super team, he can at least aim to build a roster designed to compliment the current mvp, when healthy. That’s always been the most concerning and limiting factor. Joel has shown all the development that Ben has slacked off, but maybe the last piece of the puzzle is just him developing a mentality to avoid anything that requires a landing. Joel is just too big to land.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,654

Re: Joel; unchained. 

Post#2 » by stormi » Fri Oct 1, 2021 1:54 pm

improper semicolon usage
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,312

Post#3 » by DCasey91 » Fri Oct 1, 2021 2:05 pm

Ummm it’s been Ben all along. Give up the fantasy of a Giannis type player that’s been dead and buried since college.

Scorpion and the frog if you know that story you know now it’s just humor to try and gauge with Ben’s basketball capabilities.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 3,994

Post#4 » by Bum Adebayo » Fri Oct 1, 2021 5:51 pm

Giannis has worked very hard all his career, he was worse than Ben Simmons early on, but with hard work he has become what he is today. It was never all about talent, hard work has always mattered. This is why Simmons will never get close to Giannis, no matter what system he plays in.
Horrible takes since 2016
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,692

Post#5 » by rzzzzz » Fri Oct 1, 2021 5:58 pm

DCasey91 wrote:Ummm it’s been Ben all along. Give up the fantasy of a Giannis type player that’s been dead and buried since college.

Scorpion and the frog if you know that story you know now it’s just humor to try and gauge with Ben’s basketball capabilities.

Brett coached his dad. He had a special connection. So why can’t he be Magic Johnson if he wants to? At least early on we’re still in a development stage. The behavioral tendencies may have been evident, but you figure you can coach them out. Until you can’t. Butler was guaranteed to be a pain, but he was worth it, especially the way he got along with Joel. It was Brett getting rehired and drawing a line in the sand over Jimmy. I think Brett was as much worried about control as he was about Ben’s sensibilities at that point. So maybe the froggy franchise was riding on two scorpions?
Bum Adebayo
General Manager

Post#6 » by Bum Adebayo » Fri Oct 1, 2021 6:39 pm

Brett and Ben destroyed the process, good riddance!
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,773

Post#7 » by Skates » Fri Oct 1, 2021 6:52 pm

Joel asserted dominance, insert whatever visual appeals to you on that one, lol.
DCasey91
General Manager

Post#8 » by DCasey91 » Fri Oct 1, 2021 9:49 pm

rzzzzz wrote:
DCasey91 wrote:Ummm it’s been Ben all along. Give up the fantasy of a Giannis type player that’s been dead and buried since college.

Brett coached his dad. He had a special connection. So why can’t he be Magic Johnson if he wants to? At least early on we’re still in a development stage. The behavioral tendencies may have been evident, but you figure you can coach them out. Until you can’t. Butler was guaranteed to be a pain, but he was worth it, especially the way he got along with Joel. It was Brett getting rehired and drawing a line in the sand over Jimmy. I think Brett was as much worried about control as he was about Ben’s sensibilities at that point. So maybe the froggy franchise was riding on two scorpions?

One Scorpion.

Embiid is a savant, so you know what that is?

Some of the blame has to go to his father (changed hands can lead to anxiety/mirror issues without the person naturally picking one.)

But other than not no, Ben is not a Giannis type.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager

Post#9 » by Bum Adebayo » Fri Oct 1, 2021 10:27 pm

Ben Simmons should've been a top 10 player at minimum, he is that talented, actually I'm not entirely convinced Embiid is more talented than him, I think it is debatable really. But obviously if Embiid worked as hard as Simmons, he wouldn't even be a starter in this league. Ben's production/talent ratio is that low really.
DCasey91
General Manager

Post#10 » by DCasey91 » Fri Oct 1, 2021 10:41 pm

Embiid is more talented and there’s no question about it.

By all reports he has extremely high learning recognition especially when it comes to basketball.

Seen him get 26/13 before halftime by just diking around and looking like a center version of Kobe.

Ben is a supreme straight line athlete and a gifted passer, that’s it. Look at his touch for godsake.

Even Nick Kyrgios is a poor example now. Kyrgios is much more talented then Ben. He has the full quota so to speak on skill whereas Ben never has and never will.
DCasey91
General Manager

Post#11 » by DCasey91 » Fri Oct 1, 2021 10:48 pm

1:42 is Magic

Ben actually has below rudimentary foundational skill for a big man (he’s a power forward). He’s better as a screener but that it.

If Ben had half as much big man skill transferred over from Embiid we’d already be winning championships.
DCasey91
General Manager

Post#12 » by DCasey91 » Fri Oct 1, 2021 10:54 pm

Ben’s “Contested” scoring is ass. Whereas Embiid’s contested scoring is borderline elite, but for a Big it is 100%.
syntax
Sixth Man
And1: 651

Post#13 » by syntax » Sat Oct 2, 2021 7:34 am

Embiid can't even read or pass out of a double team. His turnovers are through the roof. He is an awful playmaker for his usage. Can't co-exist in an offense that isn't just ISO Embiid ball. Ben has shown that, Jimmy has shown that. Good luck winning with Embiid. My guess is picking up basketball at 15 years old doesn't help when developing crucial areas of team play, a skill that can't be taught.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 10,999

Post#14 » by eyeatoma » Sat Oct 2, 2021 10:28 am

syntax wrote:Embiid can't even read or pass out of a double team. His turnovers are through the roof. He is an awful playmaker for his usage. Can't co-exist in an offense that isn't just ISO Embiid ball. Ben has shown that, Jimmy has shown that. Good luck winning with Embiid. My guess is picking up basketball at 15 years old doesn't help when developing crucial areas of team play, a skill that can't be taught.
Can you just go away?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
kio80
Sixth Man
And1: 1,076

Post#15 » by kio80 » Sat Oct 2, 2021 10:46 am

Neither Ben or Joel is the one, both lack crucial ingredients to win it all.
Ben ain’t it, Joel ain’t it, it’s not that they don’t compliment each other, they just ain’t that good, Embiid is at best a number 2 option with a superstar scoring guard, Ben is at best 2nd or third option with a superstar scoring guard and stretch bigs.
Smartest move is to trade Embiid now, play with the **** roster and let Ben sit, trade him eventually for better assets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
syntax
Sixth Man

Post#16 » by syntax » Sat Oct 2, 2021 10:56 am

eyeatoma wrote:
syntax wrote:Embiid can't even read or pass out of a double team. His turnovers are through the roof. He is an awful playmaker for his usage. Can't co-exist in an offense that isn't just ISO Embiid ball. Ben has shown that, Jimmy has shown that. Good luck winning with Embiid. My guess is picking up basketball at 15 years old doesn't help when developing crucial areas of team play, a skill that can't be taught.
Can you just go away?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

nah
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,898

Post#17 » by kuclas » Sat Oct 2, 2021 11:19 am

kio80 wrote:Neither Ben or Joel is the one, both lack crucial ingredients to win it all.
Ben ain’t it, Joel ain’t it, it’s not that they don’t compliment each other, they just ain’t that good, Embiid is at best a number 2 option with a superstar scoring guard, Ben is at best 2nd or third option with a superstar scoring guard and stretch bigs.
Smartest move is to trade Embiid now, play with the **** roster and let Ben sit, trade him eventually for better assets

This is incorrect. Embiid is the number 1 option until the last 2 minutes of the game. Just like Shaq. Kobe took over at the end. That’s just the way the nba is these days.

The nba is a wing/guard league in the closing stretches of game. Problem for sixers is they don’t even have a true number 2 option. Harris is the third best player on any championship team. Right now we don’t have a third player who can create his own shot in half court consistently
Tomjas
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,173

Post#18 » by Tomjas » Sat Oct 2, 2021 11:30 am

kuclas wrote:
kio80 wrote:Neither Ben or Joel is the one, both lack crucial ingredients to win it all.

This is incorrect. Embiid is the number 1 option until the last 2 minutes of the game. Just like Shaq. Kobe took over at the end. That’s just the way the nba is these days.

The nba is a wing/guard league in the closing stretches of game. Problem for sixers is they don’t even have a true number 2 option. Harris is the third best player on any championship team. Right now we don’t have a third player who can create his own shot in half court consistently

Yeah weird take

A core of Joel/Paul/& even Ben is light years better than what we have atm which is iso Joel and a bunch of guys standing around
Zumramania
Senior
And1: 409

Post#19 » by Zumramania » Sat Oct 2, 2021 11:58 am

kuclas wrote:

I expect Maxey to break out a bit this year, he is much better than Shake at the things that we need. This could get us to seed 4 or 5 even without trading Ben.
When you mentioned Kobe and Shaq I remembered this video: [url];ab_channel=BarryMcCockiner[/url] :lol:
syntax
Sixth Man

Post#20 » by syntax » Sat Oct 2, 2021 12:53 pm

Zumramania wrote:
kuclas wrote:

I expect Maxey to break out a bit this year, he is much better than Shake at the things that we need. This could get us to seed 4 or 5 even without trading Ben.
When you mentioned Kobe and Shaq I remembered this video: [url];ab_channel=BarryMcCockiner[/url] :lol:

Are you comparing Shaq to Embiid? I don't get it.

Dwight had more dunks than Embiid last season. Simmons had more dunks than Embiid last season. Embiid is no Shaq.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers