NBA protocols/Covid/Vaccine - Discussion thread

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 55,436

Re: Woj:The NBA has reached a 95 percent vaccination threshold of its players 

Post#821 » by bisme37 » Fri Oct 1, 2021 9:32 pm

Hey I'd love it if folks would stop posting tweets from random people with no twitter verification or qualifications in the field of medicine. (i.e. this @ianmSC person in the above tweets.) Just because something is on Twitter doesn't make it true. No matter how much it supports your thoughts or agenda.

We need to think critically and double and triple verify what we're posting, please. Misinformation is often why these threads get locked, so if you value these discussions please help them stay open.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,181

Post#822 » by xdrta+ » Fri Oct 1, 2021 10:14 pm

bisme37 wrote:Hey I'd love it if folks would stop posting tweets from random people with no twitter verification or qualifications in the field of medicine. (i.e. this @ianmSC person in the above tweets.) Just because something is on Twitter doesn't make it true. No matter how much it supports your thoughts or agenda.

We need to think critically and double and triple verify what we're posting, please. Misinformation is often why these threads get locked, so if you value these discussions please help them stay open.

Misinformation is the lifeblood of these threads. Without the tsunami of misinformation we see, these threads would be one page long. What fun would that be?
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#823 » by FNQ » Fri Oct 1, 2021 10:20 pm

TheAlanParsons wrote:
FNQ wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
Yes, that's how spikes work. Good job.

Almost back to pre-spike numbers, congrats!

Reminds me of an old adage in the med field:

A great doctor and a bad doctor both start the month with 10 patients in ICU. Both end the month with 0.

Yeah, because there are dead bodies littering the streets down here.

I mean you could just take it as a little tale with a moral instead of literally

Point is, the spike gets coverage because its very abnormal and avoidable. A continued spike would be the same. A plateau after the spike would be the same. A drop after a spike is.. normal, expected. It should happen. If the spike didnt happen because of FL's lax laws, then yes, the drop would be big news. Hooray! But since FL caused it, why on earth do you expect a ton of positive media coverage?

FL started a wildfire and then eventually it was put out, and you want them to be praised for putting out the fire they started in the first place. It doesn't make sense.
TheAlanParsons
Junior
And1: 240

Post#824 » by TheAlanParsons » Fri Oct 1, 2021 10:26 pm

bisme37 wrote:Hey I'd love it if folks would stop posting tweets from random people with no twitter verification or qualifications in the field of medicine. (i.e. this @ianmSC person in the above tweets.) Just because something is on Twitter doesn't make it true. No matter how much it supports your thoughts or agenda.

Are you saying those charts are inaccurate?
Here's the link to the states official data: http://ww11.doh.state.fl.us/comm/_partners/covid19_report_archive/covid19-data/covid19_data_latest.pdf

If you aren't disputing the accuracy I wonder if you just wish that more of us were dying because you hate our governor and his policies, and the disease receding takes the wind out of your sails.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#825 » by bisme37 » Fri Oct 1, 2021 10:28 pm

xdrta+ wrote:

Misinformation is the lifeblood of these threads. Without the tsunami of misinformation we see, these threads would be one page long. What fun would that be?

Lol. Well one page threads on covid would be more fun for me and the other mods, since you asked. But I get your joke/point.

I'm cool with differing opinions and with being confronted with information I may not personally like. As long as that info is, ya know, true.

Perhaps that @iansamSC person on twitter is saying things that ARE true (for example). But if that's the case it should be easy enough to find and share the same info from a reputable source, or at least someone with a name lol. Presenting tweets from random nameless Twitter users as fact isn't it.
TheAlanParsons
Junior

Post#826 » by TheAlanParsons » Fri Oct 1, 2021 10:30 pm

FNQ wrote:
TheAlanParsons wrote:
FNQ wrote:
Almost back to pre-spike numbers, congrats!

Reminds me of an old adage in the med field:

A great doctor and a bad doctor both start the month with 10 patients in ICU. Both end the month with 0.

Yeah, because there are dead bodies littering the streets down here.

I mean you could just take it as a little tale with a moral instead of literally

Point is, the spike gets coverage because its very abnormal and avoidable. A continued spike would be the same. A plateau after the spike would be the same. A drop after a spike is.. normal, expected. It should happen. If the spike didnt happen because of FL's lax laws, then yes, the drop would be big news. Hooray! But since FL caused it, why on earth do you expect a ton of positive media coverage?

FL started a wildfire and then eventually it was put out, and you want them to be praised for putting out the fire they started in the first place. It doesn't make sense.

The spikes are not avoidable and are not unusual. Every fricking state and every country show the same damn patterns, no matter what their policies are. That's the point. You peoples health interventions accomplish NOTHING except ruining the economy and ruining peoples' lives. It's just a feel good circle jerk for Fauci zealots.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#827 » by bisme37 » Fri Oct 1, 2021 10:31 pm

TheAlanParsons wrote:

Are you saying those charts are inaccurate?
Here's the link to the states official data: http://ww11.doh.state.fl.us/comm/_partners/covid19_report_archive/covid19-data/covid19_data_latest.pdf

If you aren't disputing the accuracy I wonder if you just wish that more of us were dying because you hate our governor and his policies, and the disease receding takes the wind out of your sails.

I'm asking that if you're going to present information, please use accredited sources who have actual names and qualifications on the matter. Not just some random guy. Thanks.
Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Post#828 » by Soulyss » Fri Oct 1, 2021 10:34 pm

Lalouie wrote:so wiggins and kyrie can take consolation that they remain true to themselves

Beal will eventually do it I think... Wiggins I would say is a coin-flip... Kyrie, Isaac I see very little chance they take it.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 20,788

Post#829 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Fri Oct 1, 2021 10:37 pm

TheAlanParsons wrote:
FNQ wrote:
TheAlanParsons wrote:Yeah, because there are dead bodies littering the streets down here.

The spikes are not avoidable and are not unusual. Every fricking state and every country show the same damn patterns, no matter what their policies are. That's the point. You peoples health interventions accomplish NOTHING except ruining the economy and ruining peoples' lives. It's just a feel good circle jerk for Fauci zealots.

Impressive that everything you said was false.
Again, only one side is making this political.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#830 » by FNQ » Fri Oct 1, 2021 10:37 pm

TheAlanParsons wrote:The spikes are not avoidable and are not unusual. Every fricking state and every country show the same damn patterns, no matter what their policies are. That's the point. You peoples health interventions accomplish NOTHING except ruining the economy and ruining peoples' lives. It's just a feel good circle jerk for Fauci zealots.

The spikes arent avoidable?

I mean break that down for a second.. FL has done almost everything they can to ignore medical advice for the majority of pandemic after June or July 2020.. and then when a spike hits, you shrug and say "they're unavoidable!"

Push back on masking, social distancing, vaccines.. and then hit us with "Its unavoidable"

You can't be that oblivious, you're just winding me up right?
TheAlanParsons
Junior

Post#831 » by TheAlanParsons » Fri Oct 1, 2021 10:38 pm

FNQ wrote:
TheAlanParsons wrote:The spikes are not avoidable and are not unusual. Every fricking state and every country show the same damn patterns, no matter what their policies are. That's the point. You peoples health interventions accomplish NOTHING except ruining the economy and ruining peoples' lives. It's just a feel good circle jerk for Fauci zealots.

I mean break that down for a second.. FL has done almost everything they can to ignore medical advice for the majority of pandemic after June or July 2020.. and then when a spike hits, you shrug and say "they're unavoidable!"

Push back on masking, social distancing, vaccines.. and then hit us with "Its unavoidable"

Every other state has either gone through or is going through this spike. Your interventions are crap.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#832 » by FNQ » Fri Oct 1, 2021 10:40 pm

TheAlanParsons wrote:The spikes are not avoidable and are not unusual. Every fricking state and every country show the same damn patterns, no matter what their policies are.

https://www.google.com/search?q=california+covid+numbers+graph&rlz=1C1KDEC_enUS827US827&ei=u41XYY3UKf3Q1sQPi--b2AE&ved=0ahUKEwjNnbSzo6rzAhV9qJUCHYv3BhsQ4dUDCA4&uact=5&oq=california+covid+numbers+graph&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAMyBQgAEIAEMgUIABCGAzIFCAAQhgMyBQgAEIYDOgcIABBHELADOgcIABCwAxBDOggIABCABBDJAzoGCAAQFhAeSgQIQRgAUPOyA1jhuANg07kDaANwAngAgAGdAYgBjwWSAQMyLjSYAQCgAQHIAQrAAQE&sclient=gws-wiz

Sorry for the long link but this will make it easy.

This link shows new cases and can be filtered by state. Look at the depth of spike between certain states and others, and see if you can tell me what the difference is

TheAlanParsons wrote:Every other state has either gone through or is going through this spike. Your interventions are crap.

I mean... the data is really, really easy to see. You probably should either check it first or make sure its so obscure that no one can find it.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#833 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Fri Oct 1, 2021 10:43 pm

FNQ wrote:

It’s not a coincidence that folks against the vaccine are also against mask mandates, distancing, and other evidence based measures. It’s an objectively pro Covid position based on feelings and emotions, not science. The science is really clear, no matter how much people want to try to turn this into a debate. There is none.
infinite11285
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,413

Post#834 » by infinite11285 » Fri Oct 1, 2021 10:49 pm

Merging this with the COVID thread on the front page.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: NBA protocols/Covid/Vaccine - Discussion thread 

Post#835 » by FNQ » Fri Oct 1, 2021 10:54 pm

Just to be 100% clear, here are the states who have peaked in terms of new cases in the last month:

Alabama
Alaska
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Kentucky
Louisiana
Mississippi
North Carolina
Oregon
South Carolina
Tennessee
Vermont
Washington
West Virginia

Here are all the states that came within 10% of their peak in the past month:

Idaho
Maine
Montana
Oklahoma
Texas

That's 20 states. The other 30 states have been below that threshold, most of them WELL below that threshold. Florida had one of the highest spikes, if not the highest.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Re: NBA protocols/Covid/Vaccine - Discussion thread 

Post#836 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Fri Oct 1, 2021 10:56 pm

I live in DC and it’s crazy to me that folks are indoors without masks other places given that transmission is as high as it’s been via Delta.
TheAlanParsons
Junior

Post#837 » by TheAlanParsons » Fri Oct 1, 2021 11:01 pm

FNQ wrote:
TheAlanParsons wrote:The spikes are not avoidable and are not unusual. Every fricking state and every country show the same damn patterns, no matter what their policies are.

https://www.google.com/search?q=california+covid+numbers+graph&rlz=1C1KDEC_enUS827US827&ei=u41XYY3UKf3Q1sQPi--b2AE&ved=0ahUKEwjNnbSzo6rzAhV9qJUCHYv3BhsQ4dUDCA4&uact=5&oq=california+covid+numbers+graph&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAMyBQgAEIAEMgUIABCGAzIFCAAQhgMyBQgAEIYDOgcIABBHELADOgcIABCwAxBDOggIABCABBDJAzoGCAAQFhAeSgQIQRgAUPOyA1jhuANg07kDaANwAngAgAGdAYgBjwWSAQMyLjSYAQCgAQHIAQrAAQE&sclient=gws-wiz

Sorry for the long link but this will make it easy.

This link shows new cases and can be filtered by state. Look at the depth of spike between certain states and others, and see if you can tell me what the difference is

TheAlanParsons wrote:Every other state has either gone through or is going through this spike. Your interventions are crap.

I mean... the data is really, really easy to see. You probably should either check it first or make sure its so obscure that no one can find it.

IDK. Looking at the deaths chart, I see one country, with the most insane restrictions, Australia, has skyrocketing cases. Another that has never had any restrictions, Sweden, is flatlined. This variant is going to burn through every population eventually. Florida is only 2% behind California in vax rate. The fact that Florida's spike in deaths was high is total unsurprising when you are talking about a virus that overwhelming kills old people.
TheAlanParsons
Junior

Post#838 » by TheAlanParsons » Fri Oct 1, 2021 11:04 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
FNQ wrote:

It’s not a coincidence that folks against the vaccine are also against mask mandates, distancing, and other evidence based measures. It’s an objectively pro Covid position based on feelings and emotions, not science. The science is really clear, no matter how much people want to try to turn this into a debate. There is none.

The CDC's own study said that mask mandates only made a 1%-2% difference in infection rates. Is that your "science"?
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#839 » by FNQ » Fri Oct 1, 2021 11:12 pm

TheAlanParsons wrote:IDK. Looking at the deaths chart, I see one country, with the most insane restrictions, Australia, has skyrocketing cases. Another that has never had any restrictions, Sweden, is flatlined. This variant is going to burn through every population eventually. Florida is only 2% behind California in vax rate. The fact that Florida's spike in deaths was high is total unsurprising when you are talking about a virus that overwhelming kills old people.

"every state is going through this right now"

again, this shows new cases, not deaths, so not sure why that was invoked. Softening up and pivoting doesnt change that you're being constantly wrong, loudly.

Props to FL for catching up to CA. I'll bet you didnt know that CA, while being a deep blue state, would be colored red everywhere but the coast if looked at by county.

https://www.latimes.com/projects/california-coronavirus-cases-tracking-outbreak/covid-19-vaccines-distribution/

Scroll down and see that despite having similar vaccination rates, California is doing worlds better than Florida. Why? Because the high density areas are overwhelmingly vaxxed, and the low density areas (typically rural, red areas) are not.

Of the 8 counties that typically make up the Bay Area, 7 of them are over 67% vaxxed. The one that isn't (Solano) is red leaning.

Only one coastal county is below 56% vaxxed, and its the one touching Oregon.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#840 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Fri Oct 1, 2021 11:12 pm

TheAlanParsons wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
FNQ wrote:

The CDC's own study said that mask mandates only made a 1%-2% difference in infection rates. Is that your "science"?

The science of masks has been available for over a year. Again there is no debate. They work. N95s work both ways. Regular surgical masks work one way but if everyone wears them it’s mutually protective. Like this isn’t hard or controversial.

Return to The General Board