Kendall Brown

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,007

Kendall Brown 

Post#1 » by Hal14 » Sat Oct 2, 2021 2:07 am

Anyone else really high on Kendall Brown?

Well, I think Clyde21 is. Reason I checked out a bunch of Brown footage this week is cause I saw Clyde had Brown ranked pretty high in a post somewhere.

I like this kid's intangibles. Just really seems like a good team player. A good glue guy. The type of guy who kind of plays like a role player who does the little things like get some good steals, doesn't force shots, just lets the game come to him, makes some good passes. High energy, doesn't need the ball in his hands all the time to be effective. Great motor, just always seems to play hard and make the right play. So his floor is really good glue guy role player. But at the same time he makes some highlight reel dunks and the combination of his length, speed, explosiveness, athleticism along with elite defense and elite passing (relative to his position), and young age makes me think his ceiling is star player.

Plus, has good handle (especially relative to his position), some good self creation. Very versatile. Combo forward, but more of a 3 than a 4. Could even play some 2. Defensively is comfortable guarding 2-4, and maybe even some 1 and 5, depending on who the 1 and 5 is.

Comparisons? Scottie Pippen, Shawn Marion

I've currently got Brown ranked no. 4 in 2022 draft, only trailing the consensus top 3 of Banchero/Holmgren/Hardy.

Looking forward to seeing how Brown does this season against some better competition. I think he'll do just fine, though - he was awesome last year vs some of the best high school teams in the country. And he's going to Baylor, the team that just won the title so obviously good program with good coach but he'll have a chance to make an impact right away since Baylor had their best players leave for the NBA.

If you watch those 4 vids and don't have him at least in the top 10, well then IDK..

6'8" with a 6'11" wingspan. 205 lbs but i'm thinking that is pretty much pure muscle cause he plays like he's got a strong build so kind of plays more like 215 lbs. I'm not seeing a verified vertical leap for him but I am pretty sure it is at least 40". I'm thinking the 3 dudes most likely to be in the dunk contest from this draft class are Brown, Kinsey and Davison. And out of those 3, Brown is BY FAR the most likely to make an all-NBA defensive team..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,200

Re: Kendall Brown 

Post#2 » by babyjax13 » Sat Oct 2, 2021 5:35 am

I am high on him, have him 9th on my very unscientific 'watch list': viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2102189

He just looks very cerebral and tough, I like heady players who are also bruisers. Can't wait to see him in game action.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Hal14
RealGM

Post#3 » by Hal14 » Sat Oct 2, 2021 2:39 pm

babyjax13 wrote:I am high on him, have him 9th on my very unscientific 'watch list': viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2102189

He just looks very cerebral and tough, I like heady players who are also bruisers. Can't wait to see him in game action.

tough and cerebral is a good way to describe him.

I'm also very interested to see him in action for Baylor.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Hal14
RealGM

Post#4 » by Hal14 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:29 pm

Brown looking like a beast so far this season. He continues to show excellent passing, as he did in high school:

EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,182

Post#5 » by EvanZ » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:58 pm

Super interesting prospect. Like a bigger, more skilled Keon Johnson.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#6 » by EvanZ » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:04 pm

Aaron Gordon comes to mind.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,126

Post#7 » by clyde21 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:46 pm

love his physical pro, strong and explosive, curious at where his w/s will register but his profile projects well to the NBA, is a handful in the full court and loves to cut/slash, he'll probably be the best athlete in the class.

if he can develop a reliable shot or some ISO skills he's probably the 4th best player in the draft after the top3.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#8 » by EvanZ » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:51 pm

He's said in an interview you can find online he has a 6'11" ws.
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#9 » by EMG518 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:07 am

Curious to see how he develops over the course of the season but high on him.

High on this draft as well I will continue to say.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#10 » by clyde21 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:04 pm

buyin call options on this guy, might work his way into T1 sooner rather than later. the playmaking is real real, that gives his offense a whole new dimension even if he's still a shaky shooter.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 9,514

Post#11 » by Chuck Everett » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:43 am

Baylor has a pretty serious development program lately. LJ Cryer looks incredible this year as well. Kendall Brown runs the floor very well for a wing I'd say.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,043

Post#12 » by The-Power » Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:15 am

Very odd prospect to evaluate. Looks like he has the shot of a 5, the handles of a 4, the size of a 3, the passing of a 1/2 and an athletic ability that is just rare – to paint it with a broad brush and describe it in overly simplistic terms. What are everyone's expectations of his position and role at the next level?

Also, on another note, Jeremy Sochan reminds me of a poor man's Scottie Barnes. Less athletic and inferior Guard skills, but he has the same kind of game where he defends multiple positions and switches well, makes plays for others with good passes, and has the confidence to create his own shot off the dribble.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#13 » by Hal14 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:24 pm

The-Power wrote:Very odd prospect to evaluate. Looks like he has the shot of a 5, the handles of a 4, the size of a 3, the passing of a 1/2 and an athletic ability that is just rare – to paint it with a broad brush and describe it in overly simplistic terms. What are everyone's expectations of his position and role at the next level?

Also, on another note, Jeremy Sochan reminds me of a poor man's Scottie Barnes. Less athletic and inferior Guard skills, but he has the same kind of game where he defends multiple positions and switches well, makes plays for others with good passes, and has the confidence to create his own shot off the dribble.

Sochan reminds me of Kelly Oubre.

I feel like Brown is a closer comparison to Scottie Barnes - given Brown's excellent passing and stronger perimeter defense, not as good interior defense. Sochan is not as good a passer as Brown or Barnes and Sochan is better interior defender than perimeter defender - unlike Brown and Barnes..
Hal14
RealGM

Post#14 » by Hal14 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:26 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:Baylor has a pretty serious development program lately. LJ Cryer looks incredible this year as well. Kendall Brown runs the floor very well for a wing I'd say.

Exactly. Look at the leap that Davion Mitchell made (as a shooter and overall as a player) once he transferred to baylor..
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,043

Post#15 » by The-Power » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:06 pm

Hal14 wrote:
The-Power wrote:Very odd prospect to evaluate. Looks like he has the shot of a 5, the handles of a 4, the size of a 3, the passing of a 1/2 and an athletic ability that is just rare – to paint it with a broad brush and describe it in overly simplistic terms. What are everyone's expectations of his position and role at the next level?

Sochan reminds me of Kelly Oubre.

I feel like Brown is a closer comparison to Scottie Barnes - given Brown's excellent passing and stronger perimeter defense, not as good interior defense. Sochan is not as good a passer as Brown or Barnes and Sochan is better interior defender than perimeter defender - unlike Brown and Barnes..

I don't see Kelly Oubre at all. Oubre is a relatively skinny but explosive athlete who doesn't pass and is best at point-of-attack defense with the occasional athletic weak-side highlight play but otherwise clear limitations as a team defender. Sochan to me isn't that kind of player at all. He's not nearly as quick or explosive but bigger, he's a willing passer unlike Oubre and more of an all-around defender rather than a ‘lock in on one guy’ type of defender from what I have seen.

Also, I wouldn't characterize Barnes as a perimeter defender. His biggest defensive value lies in his versatility, and the fact that he can defend out on the perimeter and seamlessly switch onto bigger players as well as defend bigger players and switch onto Guards on the perimeter, all of which is enhanced by excellent and smart team defense. From what I have seen so far, that sounds more like Sochan than Brown (in terms of type; Sochan doesn't have Barnes physical tools to work with). If you see Brown primarily as an athletic freak that is awesome defending guys out on the perimeter with his athletic ability, then that sounds a lot more like Oubre (on defense, that is).
clyde21
RealGM

Post#16 » by clyde21 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:19 am

i think KB is kinda like the Iguodala archetype, not wiry like Iggy and will probably never have quick hands like Iggy but similar physical profile overall with some of the same passing chops and cutting/full court ability, same issues as an ISO-scorer/shooter.

i think Iggy is a good high end outcome for him more or less
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,200

Post#17 » by babyjax13 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:13 am

clyde21 wrote:i think KB is kinda like the Iguodala archetype, not wiry like Iggy and will probably never have quick hands like Iggy but similar physical profile overall with some of the same passing chops and cutting/full court ability, same issues as an ISO-scorer/shooter.

i think Iggy is a good high end outcome for him more or less

Smart Josh Smith (as in smart on the court, obvi)? Which honestly is just a completely different player...

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
clyde21
RealGM

Post#18 » by clyde21 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:22 am

Aaron Gordon with + playmaking

thats my comp
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,314

Post#19 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:42 am

clyde21 wrote:Aaron Gordon with + playmaking

thats my comp

I like it. It could just be seeing him against college athletes and not NBA athletes, but I feel like he has a little more functional athleticism compared to Gordon as well. He seems to be a little more agile and quicker than Gordon. Again more than willing to admit that could just be from playing against lesser athletes so his stands out a little more.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#20 » by EvanZ » Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:12 pm

Aaron Gordon made plays in college. If you look they actually have almost exactly the same A:TO ratio and AST rates. I think he's just straight up Aaron Gordon (slightly smaller), no need to add "with playmaking". We're probably not talking Andre Iguodala here.

Everyone is thinking about Aaron Gordon like 7-8 years into his NBA career. You have to remember AG was an absolute athletic phenom in his younger day. He was a Bay Area legend, probably second only in hype to Jason Kidd in my lifetime. Dude had 54 dunks in his Freshman year at Arizona. KB is at 17. Will be interesting to see if he tops AG.

Return to NBA Draft