ImageImageImageImage

Official UCF Sports Thread - Basketball: NIT Bid? Football: Spring Practice Underway

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,411

Re: UCF Football: @ Louisville / Big 12 

Post#1581 » by UCFJayBird » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:51 pm

Heartbreaker for sure. What an emotional last minute. Went from praying for a stop, to thinking we were going to have at worst a FG (and a chance to win 38-35, the same score from 8 years ago), to disbelief at a botched catch turned pick-6. And then to find out later that DG broke his clavicle on the last play and is probably done until late November at best is brutal. Honestly he may go pro and that might be the last time we see him in a game. Not sure what scouts will tell him and how he'll grade out for the draft, but hoping he has a good recovery.

Honestly what I find worse than the loss though was the immediate reaction from fans. I know fans are insane after losses and tend to overreact and be irrational, but I found it particularly frustrating this time around. A lot of fans blaming DG for the interception, saying it was a bad decision to throw the ball (even though the placement was perfect and it's on the WR for not catching it, and worse for trying to cradle catch it instead of with his hands). But even worse is I see people all over basically saying DG is nothing but a stat stuffer, that a good QB would find a way to win that game, that DG doesn't have a marquee road win and he chokes on the road, etc.

And I can't help but roll my eyes at the foolishness. Sure, DG made some bad decisions in the game, sure there were some choices where i was frustrated (the constant check downs on 3rd and medium to a guy who had no shots at getting to the sticks was particularly frustrating), but overall he played a great game. He was completing over 75% of his throws, had a rushing TD and a receiving TD. And he made a great throw, right on the numbers, right where his WR would catch it and have an open field to put us in great position to move closer for a FG or TD and it was just missed. How people can lay the fault at his feet is beyond me.

The defense MUST get better. 1 sack in three games is horrendous. Sure, our run defense is good, but our secondary is atrocious. Bullard (i think that's who it was) was practically jogging in the 4th quarter, constantly getting beat or making bad reads. Any time we go up against a good QB our offense is going to need to be perfect, and they weren't Friday night.

Tough loss. Time to buck up and focus on conference play. Honestly 0 or 1 losses probably doesn't change the outcome of the season. It probably still results in the NY6 bowl. So go out there and win out. Going to be tough with Gatewood or Keene under center though. But all we can do is focus on one game at a time. Let's go Knights.
dsg2003mach1
Senior
And1: 458

Post#1582 » by dsg2003mach1 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:57 pm

agreed on the DG blame, ridiculous. Not his fault we haven't had a respectable defense since he's been here.

Just a terrible sequence of events to put him in position to happen.

Also - wtf was with the play calling on those third and medium/third and long...
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod
And1: 1,073

Re: UCF Football: bye week 

Post#1583 » by UCF » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:23 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,060

Post#1584 » by Optimus_Steel » Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:43 am

dsg2003mach1 wrote:agreed on the DG blame, ridiculous. Not his fault we haven't had a respectable defense since he's been here.

Also - wtf was with the play calling on those third and medium/third and long...
DG put the ball around the shoulders, that's all on the receiver to haul that in and he failed miserably. The offensive line also doesn't seem to give DG alot of time. But reality is the defense, it was beyond awful and the reason UCF lost that game.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using RealGM mobile app
aka: prorl
Sammyzc+1
Ballboy
And1: 14

Post#1585 » by Sammyzc+1 » Sat Oct 2, 2021 10:15 pm

Optimus_Steel wrote:
dsg2003mach1 wrote:agreed on the DG blame, ridiculous. Not his fault we haven't had a respectable defense since he's been here.

DG put the ball around the shoulders, that's all on the receiver to haul that in and he failed miserably. The offensive line also doesn't seem to give DG alot of time. But reality is the defense, it was beyond awful and the reason UCF lost that game.

Well they sure are sucking today...ugh!
Sammyzc+1
Ballboy
And1: 14

Post#1586 » by Sammyzc+1 » Sat Oct 2, 2021 10:46 pm

Sammyzc+1 wrote:
Optimus_Steel wrote:

Well they sure are sucking today...ugh!

Horrible. So much for UCF this year. Back to their old losing ways. Finding ways to lose
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod

Re: UCF Football: vs ECU 

Post#1587 » by UCF » Sat Oct 2, 2021 11:31 pm

Bad play calling and a freshman QB is tough. Really missed having Bowser tonight.
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,112

Post#1588 » by AdamTheGreek » Mon Oct 4, 2021 2:44 am

Gus killing Keene’s momentum by consistently throwing the other QB in there throughout the game is a bad look.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
dsg2003mach1
Senior

Post#1589 » by dsg2003mach1 » Mon Oct 4, 2021 2:52 am

2 weeks to prepare and that’s the “defense” ya get

2 blocked kicks, what the hell
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod

Post#1590 » by UCF » Mon Oct 4, 2021 1:05 pm

AdamTheGreek wrote:Gus killing Keene’s momentum by consistently throwing the other QB in there throughout the game is a bad look.

Especially that final drive… terrible decision
OrlMagic05
Sixth Man
And1: 1,062

Post#1591 » by OrlMagic05 » Mon Oct 4, 2021 1:40 pm

Is it me or is Gus souring on anyone else? His offense is unbearable to watch!!!
dsg2003mach1
Senior

Post#1592 » by dsg2003mach1 » Mon Oct 4, 2021 4:33 pm

OrlMagic05 wrote:Is it me or is Gus souring on anyone else? His offense is unbearable to watch!!!

Im trying to give the benefit of the doubt after losing DG, Bowser being out etc... They scored more points than I thought they might with all the changes.

The Defense is a bigger concern at this point. If they can score in the mid to high 20s a decent defense should make that enough.
OrlMagic05
Sixth Man

Post#1593 » by OrlMagic05 » Mon Oct 4, 2021 5:32 pm

dsg2003mach1 wrote:
OrlMagic05 wrote:Is it me or is Gus souring on anyone else? His offense is unbearable to watch!!!

Im trying to give the benefit of the doubt after losing DG, Bowser being out etc... They scored more points than I thought they might with all the changes.

The Defense is a bigger concern at this point. If they can score in the mid to high 20s a decent defense should make that enough.

Even prior to DG and Bowser going down the offense has not looked as "powerful" as it was in the past. The only game that was not even close was the Bethune game. Boise we were down 21 and came back, but I think that game was won by the defense finally stopping Boise. Our Defense is horrendous right now and our offense is even worse. With the exception of DG's first game in 2019 DG has never thrown for under 200 yards until the Louisville game. That alone is eye opening when it comes to our offense.
dsg2003mach1
Senior

Post#1594 » by dsg2003mach1 » Mon Oct 4, 2021 5:56 pm

OrlMagic05 wrote:
dsg2003mach1 wrote:

Even prior to DG and Bowser going down the offense has not looked as "powerful" as it was in the past. The only game that was not even close was the Bethune game. Boise we were down 21 and came back, but I think that game was won by the defense finally stopping Boise. Our Defense is horrendous right now and our offense is even worse. With the exception of DG's first game in 2019 DG has never thrown for under 200 yards until the Louisville game. That alone is eye opening when it comes to our offense.

That also speaks to the receivers we have at the moment, be interesting to see what next year does or doesn't bring
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1595 » by UCFJayBird » Mon Oct 4, 2021 6:16 pm

We scored 30 points while missing our QB1, WR1, RB1 (and preseason RBs 2 and 3) in the 4th game of a new system with a true freshman starting at QB. oh, and against a team that had the ball for 39 (!!!) minutes.

is the offense perfect? No. Did I like throwing Gatewood in there when Keene was playing really well on that drive? No. But his offense is far from unbearable. It had a rough day, which wasn't surprising given the injuries, and still put up 30 points.

The real problem (IMO) is that the defense could not get off the field, despite knowing that Navy was going to run the ball almost every play. They literally threw the ball 4 times, and despite us supposedly having a good run defense, we couldn't stop them. I get it, the triple option is hard to defend, but we should've been more prepared and handled it a lot better. And yea, our offense goes so quickly that our defense is bound to be on the field more often. But Navy ran 80 plays to our 56, and our defense has been a problem all season.

Defense needs to improve. offense needs to get healthy.
OrlMagic05
Sixth Man

Post#1596 » by OrlMagic05 » Mon Oct 4, 2021 6:39 pm

UCFJayBird wrote:

We scored 30 points while missing our QB1, WR1, RB1 (and preseason RBs 2 and 3) in the 4th game of a new system with a true freshman starting at QB. oh, and against a team that had the ball for 39 (!!!) minutes.

is the offense perfect? No. Did I like throwing Gatewood in there when Keene was playing really well on that drive? No. But his offense is far from unbearable. It had a rough day, which wasn't surprising given the injuries, and still put up 30 points.

The real problem (IMO) is that the defense could not get off the field, despite knowing that Navy was going to run the ball almost every play. They literally threw the ball 4 times, and despite us supposedly having a good run defense, we couldn't stop them. I get it, the triple option is hard to defend, but we should've been more prepared and handled it a lot better. And yea, our offense goes so quickly that our defense is bound to be on the field more often. But Navy ran 80 plays to our 56, and our defense has been a problem all season.

Defense needs to improve. offense needs to get healthy.

I do agree with most up this, but the offense is a problem as well. You can't use the excuse of "its the first 4 games of a new offense" coaches should have these guys prepared. They have been running this offense now since the spring game which was 6 months ago.

Its not like DG has always had great WR. DG has had 1 WR that he would throw it to the past two seasons, GD & MW and was still effective. I understand that JRobinson is injured, but we havent even attempted that many long balls this year. We have run the ball way more than we have in the past and frankly that slows the offense down.
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod

Post#1597 » by UCF » Mon Oct 4, 2021 8:57 pm

Read on Twitter

Those who were there know how loud it was. I still think ‘17 usf was loudest game we’ve ever had.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1598 » by UCFJayBird » Wed Oct 6, 2021 3:20 pm

Read on Twitter

Wonder what the cause is here. Not a good development for a struggling defense.

edit: Turned out to be that his role was diminished significantly coming into the season so he had already determined he was going to play 4 games and then redshirt to save a year of eligibility. He'll have 2 years to play elsewhere.
dsg2003mach1
Senior

Post#1599 » by dsg2003mach1 » Thu Oct 7, 2021 1:34 pm

UCFJayBird wrote:
Read on Twitter

Wonder what the cause is here. Not a good development for a struggling defense.

edit: Turned out to be that his role was diminished significantly coming into the season so he had already determined he was going to play 4 games and then redshirt to save a year of eligibility. He'll have 2 years to play elsewhere.

thanks for the update, glad it's not some dysfunctional bs already
nymets1
Head Coach
And1: 1,353

Post#1600 » by nymets1 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:25 pm

That game vs ECU tells me we don't have a true starting QB without Dillion Gabriel, might have to manage the QB position the rest of the year until we get Thomas Castellanos next year who I think is the starter next year until Mikey Keene earns it.

Mark Anthony Richards showed last night he has to the be guy that RB if Bowser is out. I understand sprinkling in coles and richardson here and there but Richards has to get the majority of snaps. And Alabama lost so Georgia obviously will be ranked #1.
"Bodysurfing and always drive with the windows down"

"UCF 2017 only undefeated national champions"

Return to Orlando Magic