Foul-baiting rule change is ON

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Sane
Veteran
And1: 1,341

Re: Foul-baiting rule change is ON 

Post#41 » by Sane » Tue Oct 5, 2021 8:54 am

It's not a big deal for Harden. He rarely got those in the playoffs anyway and he's going to turn those opportunities into assists and he's going to easily lead the league in assists again. I bet he toys with 14 assists if they have a healthy season.
JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,019

Post#42 » by JN61 » Tue Oct 5, 2021 8:59 am

KqWIN wrote:Maybe it's because I saw this move all the time growing up, but I actually don't mind this play where the defensive player falls for a pump fake. I won't miss it, but at least I know that the defender made a mistake and it doesn't promote suboptimal defense.

The fouls I can't stand are the one's where a defender is in correct defensive position and the offensive player gets the foul from jumping in an unnatural way. Whether that's stopping on a dime and jumping in a random direction, grabbing/hooking defender arms, jumping forward to extend landing zone ect. I feel like those calls make defenders have to play suboptimal defense because they can get hit with a foul while in correct position if the offensive player does something unnatural.

I think there should be a concept of incidental contract that is allowed by the defender if the offensive player acts in an unnatural way and the defender is in correct position. Falling for a pump fake and lunging into the shooter doesn't feel like it should meet that criteria to me, but it's hard to define these things in print.

Defender falls into pump fake but stands meter away and jumps upwards and offensive player jumps over meter onwards to make contact... Sorry but it's ridiculous and that's why NBA is fixing it. There was no way there would have been contact in the play OP posted for example. We don't need to panders game to an offensive player.
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,033

Post#43 » by queridiculo » Tue Oct 5, 2021 9:12 am

JN61 wrote:Still should be an offensive foul.

Curry is going to average 15 points on 40% shooting.

Major contact on plays like this will result in an offensive foul call.

This tweet contains examples for the rule changes and its enforcement.

Read on Twitter
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,201

Post#44 » by dhsilv2 » Tue Oct 5, 2021 9:48 am

Reggie Miller is somewhere crying. I'm not sure I like THIS use of the rule. Will be interesting to see how extreme this is or how long they keep it up.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,343

Post#45 » by Johnny Bball » Tue Oct 5, 2021 10:02 am

Uh..I’m pretty sure that one is still a foul because he’s moving forward in his jump shot and it’s not any weird change of direction. I mean… that was a pure pump fake which they said this didn’t apply to right?
Gusto1903
Sixth Man
And1: 2,307

Post#46 » by Gusto1903 » Tue Oct 5, 2021 10:23 am

Johnny Bball wrote:Uh..I’m pretty sure that one is still a foul because he’s moving forward in his jump shot and it’s not any weird change of direction. I mean… that was a pure pump fake which they said this didn’t apply to right?

Comeon dawg, he literally just jumps into the player. Who Jumps on a Jumpshot from that spot like Steph did in that situation :D
On the Alperen Sengün hypetrain since 2020
Johnny Bball
RealGM

Post#47 » by Johnny Bball » Tue Oct 5, 2021 10:46 am

Gusto1903 wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:Uh..I’m pretty sure that one is still a foul because he’s moving forward in his jump shot and it’s not any weird change of direction. I mean… that was a pure pump fake which they said this didn’t apply to right?

Comeon dawg, he literally just jumps into the player. Who Jumps on a Jumpshot from that spot like Steph did in that situation :D

Well dawg… if he’s jumping forward that’s not an unnatural change of direction. And everyone jumps about 3 feet forward on a jumpshot!

It’s obvious the rule isn’t clear to us yet, but I thought that was one of the criteria.
svart
Analyst
And1: 3,311

Post#48 » by svart » Tue Oct 5, 2021 10:51 am

Good. Steph developed bad habits as well in the last years. Time to shake them off.
''You don't need to be serious to be focused"
Philosopher and basketball player JaVale McGee
Phreak50
Lead Assistant
And1: 10,960

Post#49 » by Phreak50 » Tue Oct 5, 2021 10:56 am

Hallelujah.
foreigngrammar
Pro Prospect
And1: 470

Post#50 » by foreigngrammar » Tue Oct 5, 2021 11:29 am

Johnny Bball wrote:
Gusto1903 wrote:

Well dawg… if he’s jumping forward that’s not an unnatural change of direction. And everyone jumps about 3 feet forward on a jumpshot!

It’s obvious the rule isn’t clear to us yet, but I thought that was one of the criteria.

:lol: :lol:
Well you are on quite an island here. Seriously :)
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,080

Post#51 » by mademan » Tue Oct 5, 2021 11:53 am

Johnny Bball wrote:
Gusto1903 wrote:

If Steph shoots normal jumpshot, the defender will never hit him even with the defender jumping forward. It's Steph jumping 3 feet forward in an unnatural way that creates the contact. You really think that should be allowed? It's been a stupid way of officiating for a while and it's a miracle they changed it. Play basketball, doont foul bait
hauntedcomputer
Starter
And1: 3,669

Post#52 » by hauntedcomputer » Tue Oct 5, 2021 11:56 am

Does this retroactively wipe out D-Wade's career? Because he was the worst
+++
Schadenfreude is undefeated.
Johnny Bball
RealGM

Post#53 » by Johnny Bball » Tue Oct 5, 2021 12:23 pm

mademan wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
Gusto1903 wrote:

If Steph shoots normal jumpshot, the defender will never hit him even with the defender jumping forward. It's Steph jumping 3 feet forward in an unnatural way that creates the contact. You really think that should be allowed? It's been a stupid way of officiating for a while and it's a miracle they changed it. Play basketball, doont foul bait

Okay I’m not sure what game you two guys watch ….but most shooters land about three feet forward when shooting a three. It’s how your taught. I’m not saying anything should be allowed, I just don’t think it’s all that clear when you read it. And you’ve read it, right?

His intent is to clearly draw the foul, but that’s not the criteria. I don’t know maybe this is exaggerated and Curry would have jumped six feet forwarding they can tell that, but this wasn’t what I saw as definitions.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,080

Post#54 » by mademan » Tue Oct 5, 2021 12:27 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
mademan wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:

Okay I’m not sure what game you two guys watch ….but most shooters land about three feet forward when shooting a three. It’s how your taught. I’m not saying anything should be allowed, I just don’t think it’s all that clear when you read it. And you’ve read it, right?

im not sure what you were watching bruh. That clearly wasnt a jumpshot. He launched himself into the defender. Nobody shoots like that.

Intent isnt the criteria; the way its worded was natural vs unnatural. You seriously think thats a natural shot for Curry? cmon bruh
Gusto1903
Sixth Man
And1: 2,307

Post#55 » by Gusto1903 » Tue Oct 5, 2021 12:31 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
Gusto1903 wrote:

So thats a normal natural regular jumpshot Steph is taking from a based stance? Really? Never seen him launch that Ball with his left hand from behind his head like that, when he was open lol
On the Alperen Sengün hypetrain since 2020
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,201

Post#56 » by dhsilv2 » Tue Oct 5, 2021 12:41 pm

Gusto1903 wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
Gusto1903 wrote:

So thats a normal natural regular jumpshot Steph is taking from a based stance? Really? Never seen him launch that Ball with his left hand from behind his head like that, when he was open lol

his is true...but I've seen him make that shot more than a few times lol.
svart
Analyst

Post#57 » by svart » Tue Oct 5, 2021 12:57 pm

Guys, shut it. I am one of his biggest fans, but that was not a normal motion. that was not a foul.
Spin it every way you like it, it still does not make it a foul under the current rules. it was a shame it was a foul last year, and the years before.
Haldi
Junior
And1: 401

Post#58 » by Haldi » Tue Oct 5, 2021 1:05 pm

hauntedcomputer wrote:Does this retroactively wipe out D-Wade's career? Because he was the worst

It really should.. all these “old schoolers” ripping on guys like Curry, Harden or Lillard and they barely ever do this move. Yet Wade who lived by this move every single game of his entire career is beloved by the old schoolers and this stuff was considered “crafty” they would say. More mental gymnastics by the best of the best.
svart
Analyst

Post#59 » by svart » Tue Oct 5, 2021 1:33 pm

Haldi wrote:
hauntedcomputer wrote:Does this retroactively wipe out D-Wade's career? Because he was the worst

It really should.. all these “old schoolers” ripping on guys like Curry, Harden or Lillard and they barely ever do this move. Yet Wade who lived by this move every single game of his entire career is beloved by the old schoolers and this stuff was considered “crafty” they would say. More mental gymnastics by the best of the best.

duuude, Harden is the absolute bait master. let's see him this year (hopefully) without all his baiting ****.

lol
mynameKIM
Junior
And1: 793

Post#60 » by mynameKIM » Tue Oct 5, 2021 1:49 pm

Dennis Schroder is happy.

While Curry isn't the only person to do this, his attempts are the most blatant and most dangerous because he often leads with the elbow.

Return to The General Board