And1: 6,546

Re: Cavs aquire Lauri Markkanen via S&T - 4 years/ 67 million 

Post#101 » by PaKii94 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:52 pm

JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,381

Post#102 » by JonFromVA » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:27 pm

Lauri is working out at Cleveland State rather than at the Cavs facility in Independence?

Looks like he's aiming to replace LeBron ...
GrowingHorns
Rookie
And1: 612

Post#103 » by GrowingHorns » Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:39 am

JonFromVA wrote:Lauri is working out at Cleveland State rather than at the Cavs facility in Independence?

Might be lot of reasons for the clip. Isn't he just settling into the area and might be in apartment hunt around there so convenient to go shoot some hoops if this place in near. Also, hope the dunk clips i've seen means he is getting back his touch bc last season with Bulls his timing and elevation for dunks fell short quite often. He was good with dunks in his first half of career.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#104 » by JonFromVA » Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:56 pm

GrowingHorns wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:Lauri is working out at Cleveland State rather than at the Cavs facility in Independence?

Might be lot of reasons for the clip. Isn't he just settling into the area and might be in apartment hunt around there so convenient to go shoot some hoops if this place in near. Also, hope the dunk clips i've seen means he is getting back his touch bc last season with Bulls his timing and elevation for dunks fell short quite often. He was good with dunks in his first half of career.

I think the Charge are playing in csu's arena, so perhaps it's an option for Cavs players ... but its pretty easy to get around Cleveland compared to some cities

And yes we'd heard Lauri is trying to get his mobility back after perhaps bulking up too much.
FranchisePlayer
Sixth Man
And1: 598

Post#105 » by FranchisePlayer » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:26 pm

PaKii94 wrote:

Looked pretty easy to me. For a big guy.

The Cavaliers are in for a treat.
MrSparkle wrote:I don't see a scenario here or there where Lauri becomes the "7-pick we thought he could be." If you remove his 3P ability, he's worse than Felicio by a mile.

12/2/2022
I like the quote- it makes me chuckle. And it was/is pretty much true.
Louri
Senior
And1: 351

Post#106 » by Louri » Sat Oct 2, 2021 6:30 pm

Seems that Lauri was all smile in Cavs team scrimmage. Best player on the floor for sure. Can’t wait to see some tears from Bulls fans when season start.

Shot was lethal and he looked more agile. Seems that summer has been good for him.

"Larry Nance Jr is better than Lauri Markkanen" -RealGM 2021
FranchisePlayer
Sixth Man

Post#107 » by FranchisePlayer » Sun Oct 3, 2021 5:31 pm

Louri wrote:Seems that Lauri was all smile in Cavs team scrimmage. Best player on the floor for sure. Can’t wait to see some tears from Bulls fans when season start.

Shot was lethal and he looked more agile. Seems that summer has been good for him.

IDK... I think they will somehow twist it around and say "why he didn't play like this for us" and make it as his fault.

But really interesting to see what will happen on Tuesday!
MrSparkle wrote:I don't see a scenario here or there where Lauri becomes the "7-pick we thought he could be." If you remove his 3P ability, he's worse than Felicio by a mile.

12/2/2022
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#108 » by JonFromVA » Sun Oct 3, 2021 5:40 pm

FranchisePlayer wrote:
Louri wrote:Seems that Lauri was all smile in Cavs team scrimmage. Best player on the floor for sure. Can’t wait to see some tears from Bulls fans when season start.

IDK... I think they will somehow twist it around and say "why he didn't play like this for us" and make it as his fault.

No secret .. he bulked up, got slower, injuies, Bulls lacked a competent PG, coach, etc; but Lauri still need to show that not only can he do more but he can do so efficiently.

Every NBA role player can do more ... they get pigeon holed when they don't do it well enough to take a possession away from a teammate (aka LaVine).
FranchisePlayer
Sixth Man

Post#109 » by FranchisePlayer » Sun Oct 3, 2021 6:50 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
FranchisePlayer wrote:

No secret .. he bulked up, got slower, injuies, Bulls lacked a competent PG, coach, etc; but Lauri still need to show that not only can he do more but he can do so efficiently.

Every NBA role player can do more ... they get pigeon holed when they don't do it well enough to take a possession away from a teammate (aka LaVine).

No offense bud, but with those words you sound like an average Real GM Bulls fan. At least I've seen those remarks like 1,000 times.

12/2/2022
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,546

Post#110 » by PaKii94 » Sun Oct 3, 2021 10:45 pm

FranchisePlayer wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
FranchisePlayer wrote:

No offense bud, but with those words you sound like an average Real GM Bulls fan. At least I've seen those remarks like 1,000 times.

He's not wrong though. It was a little bit of everything. Very rarely could you say something was setup for the benefit of Lauri. Maybe rolo boxing out so he could get rebounds.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#111 » by JonFromVA » Mon Oct 4, 2021 1:28 am

FranchisePlayer wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
FranchisePlayer wrote:

So you're saying I nailed exactly what they'll say? Why would I be offended?

There does come a time to move on ... for both the player and the team.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#112 » by JonFromVA » Mon Oct 4, 2021 6:13 pm

I forgot another reason Bulls fans have brought up for why Lauri wasn't a fit, and that was his defense and the Vucevic trade. The Cavs have struggled since they had Mozgov to provide a rim-protector next to Love, but both Mobley and Allen should fit the bill with Love or Lauri.
FranchisePlayer
Sixth Man

Post#113 » by FranchisePlayer » Thu Oct 7, 2021 6:23 pm

PaKii94 wrote:
FranchisePlayer wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

He's not wrong though. It was a little bit of everything. Very rarely could you say something was setup for the benefit of Lauri. Maybe rolo boxing out so he could get rebounds.

My point in my comment wasn't about was he right or wrong. Whatever the real reasons were, those reasons were clouded by feelings of frustration, disappointment, ridicule etc. That "average Bulls fan" kept on repeating all kinds of theories ad nauseam in a way not meant for serious discussion. In the end it was really boring to witness to be honest.

12/2/2022
FranchisePlayer
Sixth Man

Post#114 » by FranchisePlayer » Thu Oct 7, 2021 6:30 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
FranchisePlayer wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

IMO "an average Bulls fan" could be regarded as an insult by some, like by a Cavs fan? Glad to hear you're more open minded.

I agree! It was a good move for both parties. Forwards...

Although Lauri's minutes in the first two games have not been too encouraging.

12/2/2022
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#115 » by JonFromVA » Thu Oct 7, 2021 9:23 pm

FranchisePlayer wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
FranchisePlayer wrote:

IMO "an average Bulls fan" could be regarded as an insult by some, like by a Cavs fan? Glad to hear you're more open minded.

I agree! It was a good move for both parties. Forwards...

Although Lauri's minutes in the first two games have not been too encouraging.

I'll draw my own opinions after getting the chance to see Lauri day in and day out, but the reasons and issues I listed seem reasonable and plausible to me.

But I come in with no pre-conceived notions about Lauri. If he can stay healthy and prove he can do more than stand around at the 3pt line and knock down 3's at a decent rate, that'd be great. We need 3pt shooting that much.
Louri
Senior
And1: 351

Post#116 » by Louri » Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:04 am

So Cavs signed Lauri for 3p shooting but got ”Lockdown” Markkanen on D instead.
"Larry Nance Jr is better than Lauri Markkanen" -RealGM 2021
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#117 » by JonFromVA » Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:52 am

Louri wrote:So Cavs signed Lauri for 3p shooting but got ”Lockdown” Markkanen on D instead.

Lauri is getting a lot of help, but he does seem to add to our paint intimidation. We very much need his shooting to come around... unless we plan to continue holding opponents under 80. geez
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#118 » by Revenged25 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:18 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Louri wrote:So Cavs signed Lauri for 3p shooting but got ”Lockdown” Markkanen on D instead.

Lauri is getting a lot of help, but he does seem to add to our paint intimidation. We very much need his shooting to come around... unless we plan to continue holding opponents under 80. geez

Why can't we have both?
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#119 » by JonFromVA » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:41 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Why can't we have both?

You might just as well ask why Mike Fratello hasn't coached in the league since 2006.
FranchisePlayer
Sixth Man

Post#120 » by FranchisePlayer » Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:03 pm

A shout-out to Markkanen for completely destroying Paul George's offensive game! WOW!

#TheFinnisher #TheDefender

12/2/2022

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers