Post#3 » by Dr Aki » Thu Oct 7, 2021 3:49 am

No he did his ankle a few days ago
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Re: [Shams] Ariza has ankle surgery, out for 8+ weeks 

Post#4 » by Kilroy » Thu Oct 7, 2021 4:38 am

His age... 8 weeks is more like 12... And at that point... Will he come back at all?
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,335

Post#5 » by Dr Aki » Thu Oct 7, 2021 4:53 am

Kilroy wrote:His age... 8 weeks is more like 12... And at that point... Will he come back at all?

regular season's 6 months long

it'll be christmas before you know it
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#6 » by Kilroy » Thu Oct 7, 2021 5:38 am

Dr Aki wrote:
Kilroy wrote:His age... 8 weeks is more like 12... And at that point... Will he come back at all?

regular season's 6 months long

it'll be christmas before you know it

Yes, but we've seen guys take whole seasons to look right after being out that long. Especially older guys... He has a limited role on the team anyway, I just was thinking if it made sense to have him taking a roster spot at this point.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,970

Post#7 » by zimpy27 » Thu Oct 7, 2021 5:50 am

PG: Westbrook | Nunn | Rondo
SG: Monk | Ellington | Reaves
SF: THT | Bazemore |
PF: LeBron | Melo | Ariza
C : Davis | Howard | Jordan

Could see Wes getting called up
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
ROballer
General Manager
And1: 2,752

Post#8 » by ROballer » Thu Oct 7, 2021 6:13 am

zimpy27 wrote:PG: Westbrook | Nunn | Rondo

Yup. I agree 100% with this lineup and from all accounts that's where we're headed.

Only question mark is the SG spot, Ellington or Monk? Who starts? I don't think Vogel made up his mind on this yet, but the two will probably be splitting the minutes evenly anyway.

Ariza's injury is a non factor. He can take as much time as he wants. He wouldn't have played regardless.
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#9 » by zimpy27 » Thu Oct 7, 2021 6:30 am

ROballer wrote:

Yup. I agree 100% with this lineup and from all accounts that's where we're headed.

Only question mark is the SG spot, Ellington or Monk? Who starts? I don't think Vogel made up his mind on this yet, but the two will probably be splitting the minutes evenly anyway.

Ariza's injury is a non factor. He can take as much time as he wants. He wouldn't have played regardless.

I think Ariza may be more impactful both sides than Melo but not sure, will wait to see it play out. He's not needed though right now.

I think THT/Bazemore/Melo/LeBron/Davis will easily cover the SF and PF spots.
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Post#10 » by snaquille oatmeal » Thu Oct 7, 2021 1:44 pm

Six weeks away from being six weeks
Forum permissions
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot trade for basketball reasons in this forum
You cannot but I can...five rings!
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 19,536

Post#11 » by Mamba Mentality » Thu Oct 7, 2021 2:41 pm

Bazemore should be the starting SF albeit on a short leash. Better defender (Vogel already has a hard on for him) and spaces the floor far better than THT.
Ball so hard
Sixth Man
And1: 677

Post#12 » by Ball so hard » Thu Oct 7, 2021 4:24 pm

Mamba Mentality wrote:

Bazemore should be the starting SF albeit on a short leash. Better defender (Vogel already has a hard on for him) and spaces the floor far better than THT.

Yeah putting THT in the starting lineup would ensure we have the worst shooting team in the league by a sizable margin.
ROballer
General Manager
And1: 2,752

Post#13 » by ROballer » Thu Oct 7, 2021 6:10 pm

You don't pay a 2nd rounder 30+ mil while having an albatross payroll already(thus luxury tax involvement, see renouncing of Caruso)...to be a backup for Kent **** Bazemore.

Bazemore started roughly 40% of his career games and hasn't been a real starter in 4 years.
And his better defense is arguable at best so is his shot. Yes, he shot 40% last year but he's inconsistent as they come. Shot 34% and 32% the two years prior.

There are reports THT will guard the opposing best player, that already means he's starting and seeing 30 mins a game, I don't know why feel the need of overthinking this.

It's Kent Bazemore, not a premier wing. THT will easily start and see starting minutes for the first time in his life.

He's also still only 20 and it's his 3rd year(you know, the proverbial 3rd year jump?). So basing your opinion on yesterday(last season) is futile and wrong, for all we know he could be shooting average or above average from 3 this year if he worked on his shot(very likely).
Last years numbers were on low volume as well. He shot 2.0 on average a game. Not like he shot 30% on 6 shots, that's another story right there.

He's already taking more 3's in the preseason(8 total in two games) and that's without Lebron or Westbrook and with minutes in the mid 20's. That should tell you all the story, the kid has been instructed to work on his 3 point shooting during the summer.
You don't just take 4+ 3's a game all of sudden without working on your shot.
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#14 » by zimpy27 » Thu Oct 7, 2021 7:02 pm

Ball so hard wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:

Yeah putting THT in the starting lineup would ensure we have the worst shooting team in the league by a sizable margin.

You're not going to have a great shooting team with Bazemore in instead. I wouldn't expect Lakers to be great at shooting from outside. They will still score though.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#15 » by Kilroy » Thu Oct 7, 2021 7:06 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
Ball so hard wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:

You're not going to have a great shooting team with Bazemore in instead. I wouldn't expect Lakers to be great at shooting from outside. They will still score though.

THT was 2/4 from 3 last game as well... I agree with RO... We either gave him that contract to trade him or start him... We'll find out which soon I guess.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#16 » by zimpy27 » Thu Oct 7, 2021 7:12 pm

Kilroy wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
Ball so hard wrote:

THT was 2/4 from 3 last game as well... I agree with RO... We either gave him that contract to trade him or start him... We'll find out which soon I guess.

Yeah me too. He is getting paid and he is meant to be to be defending opposing teams best scorer.

He should be starting. I think offensively he will be more efficient as he gets to pick his spots with the starters.
TheHartBreakKid
General Manager
And1: 4,316

Post#17 » by TheHartBreakKid » Thu Oct 7, 2021 7:15 pm

Hope Ariza recovers soon. It won't be a big factor for our rotation and the start of the season, but even if Ariza doesn't play a single minute, him being healthy and pushing in practice has it's value.

And regarding THT....not sure if we'll start him and I'm not sure if it'll matter. He should, and will, get the 4th most minutes on the team and will play the 4th most significant role. I'm ok with him coming off the bench if it leads to the most cohesive lineups, but yes I agree, whether it's Bazemore, Melo, or a healthy Ariza, either way whoever starts will be a limited minute guy who will end up having a lesser role compared to THT
Ball so hard
Sixth Man
And1: 677

Post#18 » by Ball so hard » Thu Oct 7, 2021 8:21 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
Kilroy wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

Yeah me too. He is getting paid and he is meant to be to be defending opposing teams best scorer.

He should be starting. I think offensively he will be more efficient as he gets to pick his spots with the starters.

True Bazemore alone will not raise the team's shooting by much. However, Bazemore is at least a threat to make 3s; he is after all a career 36% 3pt shooter. Everyone knows THT's first and second option is to drive. Team consistently try to close off his driving lanes.
You can see this in the two preseason games we've player. He's pretty good at creating for himself and penetrating - the same things another player in our starting lineup is even better at at. THT reminds me a bit of Ingram (a very good driver at the time) playing next to Bron...anyone remember how great that fit was? Lakers were second to last in the league in shooting a paltry 33% from 3.

Of course we'll still score, albeit inefficiently as a team. We have two of the best scorers in the game. Russ driving and kicking to THT is almost laughable. Like when will Management learn that you need shooters next to Bron. You add a **** non-shooter in Russ, only to further compound the issue by inserting another non-shooter in THT in the same lineup simply because we're paying him 'too much' to have him come off the bench. I do agree he should see significant minutes... coming off the bench. I'd give a starting lineup with THT 15 games before people begin to call for the head of the scapegoat (likely the coach).

Generally you can make up for poor shooting by having a top tier defense. I don't think anyone expect the Lakers to be a top rated defensive team this year. If Vogel and pull that **** off we should hand him coach of the year. We're now hearing that you can make up for poor shooting from 3s by having very good drivers... This is probably true in the 90s but it's almost certainly not true today.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#19 » by zimpy27 » Thu Oct 7, 2021 8:33 pm

Ball so hard wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
Kilroy wrote:THT was 2/4 from 3 last game as well... I agree with RO... We either gave him that contract to trade him or start him... We'll find out which soon I guess.

True Bazemore alone will not raise the team's shooting by much. However, Bazemore is at least a threat to make 3s; he is after all a career 36% 3pt shooter. Everyone knows THT's first and second option is to drive. Team consistently try to close off his driving lanes.
You can see this in the two preseason games we've player. He's pretty good at creating for himself and penetrating - the same things another player in our starting lineup is even better at at. THT reminds me a bit of Ingram (a very good driver at the time) playing next to Bron...anyone remember how great that fit was? Lakers were second to last in the league in shooting a paltry 33% from 3.

Of course we'll still score, albeit inefficiently as a team. We have two of the best scorers in the game. Russ driving and kicking to THT is almost laughable. Like when will Management learn that you need shooters next to Bron. You add a **** non-shooter in Russ, only to further compound the issue by inserting another non-shooter in THT in the same lineup simply because we're paying him 'too much' to have him come off the bench. I do agree he should see significant minutes... coming off the bench. I'd give a starting lineup with THT 15 games before people begin to call for the head of the scapegoat (likely the coach).

Generally you can make up for poor shooting by having a top tier defense. I don't think anyone expect the Lakers to be a top rated defensive team this year. If Vogel and pull that **** off we should hand him coach of the year. We're now hearing that you can make up for poor shooting from 3s by having very good drivers... This is probably true in the 90s but it's almost certainly not true today.

As far as I'm concerned, the things that matter for this team are:
- being a top 3 defense
- having a better than average ft%

That will determine how far they go with this squad IMO.

They will get to the line a lot but they need to make their shots. They have the pieces for a top defense and it should happen.
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,925

Post#20 » by tugs » Fri Oct 8, 2021 3:36 am

Can't see anywhere yet but there are talks of getting Sekou Doumbouya as Trevor's insurance?

Return to Los Angeles Lakers