ImageImageImage

NBA GMs think Green will win ROY, Mobley will be best rookie from this class in 5 years.

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,042

NBA GMs think Green will win ROY, Mobley will be best rookie from this class in 5 years. 

Post#1 » by bstein14 » Tue Oct 5, 2021 4:49 pm

Pretty interesting results from the NBA GMs who took part in the annual GM survey. Green edges out Cade in votes for this season's ROY. Mobley edges out Cade for who NBA GMs think will be the best player 5 years from now. Just goes to show you that those top 3 guys were pretty split and perhaps there are several GMs who would have taken Green #1, or would have taken Mobley #1.

* Who will win the 2021-22 Rookie of the Year?
1. Jalen Green, Houston – 47%
2. Cade Cunningham, Detroit – 40%
3. Jalen Suggs, Orlando – 7%
> Also receiving votes: Davion Mitchell, Sacramento; Alperen Sengun, Houston
> Last year: LaMelo Ball – 39%

* Which rookie will be the best player in five years?
1. Evan Mobley, Cleveland – 33%
2. Cade Cunningham, Detroit – 30%
3. Jalen Green, Houston – 23%
4. Jalen Suggs, Orlando – 10%
5. Davion Mitchell, Sacramento – 3%
> Last year: James Wiseman – 36%
> Five years ago: Ben Simmons – 70%

* Which rookie was the biggest steal at where he was selected in the Draft?
1. Jalen Suggs (5), Orlando – 23%
2. Alperen Sengun (16), Houston – 20%
3. James Bouknight (11), Charlotte – 7%
Jalen Johnson (20), Atlanta – 7%
Trey Murphy III (17), New Orleans – 7%
> Also receiving votes: Scottie Barnes (4), Toronto; Brandon Boston Jr. (51), LA Clippers; Jared Butler (40), Utah; Chris Duarte (13), Indiana; Luka Garza (52), Detroit; Isaiah Jackson (22), Indiana; Keon Johnson (21), LA Clippers; Kai Jones (19), Charlotte; Miles McBride (36), New York; Davion Mitchell (9), Sacramento; Cam Thomas (27), Brooklyn
> Last year: Tyrese Haliburton – 43%
Rip32
Rookie
And1: 181

Re: NBA GMs think Green will win ROY, Mobley will be best rookie from this class in 5 years. 

Post#2 » by Rip32 » Tue Oct 5, 2021 4:52 pm

Wouldn't shock me. We were conservative with out pick

:nod: DETROIT VS EVERYBODY :nod:

I have no love for rogue moderators who abuse their authority
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Re: NBA GMs think Green will win ROY, Mobley will be best rookie from this class in 5 years. 

Post#3 » by MotownMadness » Tue Oct 5, 2021 6:08 pm

Mobley has a high ceiling for sure if he gets the motor going alot more aggressively. He was my favorite prospect for most the season.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#4 » by Manocad » Tue Oct 5, 2021 7:57 pm

Meh. Cade was the player the Pistons needed as a team and as a franchise. He was also voted the player from the 2021 draft most likely to have a long and successful NBA career.
DNice68
Rookie
And1: 376

Post#5 » by DNice68 » Tue Oct 5, 2021 8:23 pm

Remember when the players thought Cam Reddish had more upside than Zion? Opinions are like ****, everyone’s got one.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#6 » by Pharaoh » Wed Oct 6, 2021 12:05 am

Actually surprised Mobley is the choice.

1 - he plays in Cleveland. Not exactly known for developing young talent

2 - likely to share the floor with 1, maybe 2 trigger happy guards that overshadow him

Of the top 5 draftees I believe he's in the worst situation if he's looking to reach his full potential

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM Forums mobile app
uncleoswald
Sophomore
And1: 76

Post#7 » by uncleoswald » Thu Oct 7, 2021 6:25 pm

i really wanted us to draft mobley. oh well, guess we'll see.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,378

Post#8 » by Billl » Thu Oct 7, 2021 6:58 pm

I certainly wouldn't be surprised if Green wins ROY. He looks like he's going to put up a ton of points and that usually gets the votes. After the stuff he said about detroit though, I'm even more convinced we took the right guy.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,254

Post#9 » by GreekAlex » Thu Oct 7, 2021 7:29 pm

uncleoswald wrote:i really wanted us to draft mobley. oh well, guess we'll see.

After all the goofy weak minded players we’ve had to watch as Pistons recently, the last thing I want the team to gamble on is a player who’s had his motor questioned with the #1 pick.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#10 » by MotownMadness » Thu Oct 7, 2021 7:42 pm

Pharaoh wrote:Actually surprised Mobley is the choice.

2 - likely to share the floor with 1, maybe 2 trigger happy guards that overshadow him

Of the top 5 draftees I believe he's in the worst situation if he's looking to reach his full potential

Yeah the situation doesn't seem ideal for sure. But he did show off a arsenal of offensive and defensive tools on college. If his motor didn't start to become suspect he was probably looking at that #1 spot.

But to me motors are the biggest and most frustrating weaknesses a player can have especially after Drummond.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#11 » by Manocad » Thu Oct 7, 2021 8:33 pm

DNice68 wrote:Remember when the players thought Cam Reddish had more upside than Zion? Opinions are like ****, everyone’s got one.

I was one of the people who thought Cam Reddish was waaaaaaay overrated and didn't put him anywhere close to Zion relative to potential. The guy shot 36% at Duke, for Pete's sake. I clearly remember all the hype about him and kept thinking "I'm just not seeing it." Zion on the other hand was, and remains, a friggin' monster.

Now, I will throw the caveat out there that I am not tooting my horn; I thought John Randle was going to hit the NBA, get fat, and turn into a bum. Clearly I missed the mark on that one.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#12 » by MotownMadness » Thu Oct 7, 2021 9:12 pm

Manocad wrote:
DNice68 wrote:Remember when the players thought Cam Reddish had more upside than Zion? Opinions are like ****, everyone’s got one.

I was one of the people who thought Cam Reddish was waaaaaaay overrated and didn't put him anywhere close to Zion relative to potential. The guy shot 36% at Duke, for Pete's sake. I clearly remember all the hype about him and kept thinking "I'm just not seeing it." Zion on the other hand was, and remains, a friggin' monster.

Now, I will throw the caveat out there that I am not tooting my horn; I thought John Randle was going to hit the NBA, get fat, and turn into a bum. Clearly I missed the mark on that one.

Yeah reddish was real bad, kinda like Stewart's teammate McDaniels. They're more of a idea then a reality when you just see that Durant type build with a shooting stroke (that don't go in)
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,770

Post#13 » by Snakebites » Thu Oct 7, 2021 10:11 pm

What’s really interesting is how few think Green will ultimately be the best player.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,042

Post#14 » by bstein14 » Thu Oct 7, 2021 10:17 pm

Snakebites wrote:What’s really interesting is how few think Green will ultimately be the best player.

I think that might come down to player mentality. He's really athletic and has worked hard to get here... but does he have the desire to be great once he gets paid? If he has the drive he could/should be the best player in this draft but I wouldn't be surprised it he was a bit of a Drummond... elite athlete that wants to get his and is more worried about his "brand" than being great and playing winning basketball... Of course its a bit early for me to make these assertions but I still would take Ja Morant over him, or anyone in this draft class. I think Green really does fit my comparison of a young Spreewell and I see it not only in his game but a bit in his comments and personality as well.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,678

Post#15 » by Invictus88 » Fri Oct 8, 2021 3:14 am

bstein14 wrote: I think Green really does fit my comparison of a young Spreewell and I see it not only in his game but a bit in his comments and personality as well.

But how good of a choke hold does he have? :D
DNice68
Rookie
And1: 376

Post#16 » by DNice68 » Fri Oct 8, 2021 3:40 am

Pharaoh wrote:Actually surprised Mobley is the choice.

Mobley’s got a lot of upside, but as of right now he is Marcus Camby. He will probably eventually be a ‘Bosh type’, but instant impact on offense he is not.
bkseven
Sixth Man
And1: 235

Post#17 » by bkseven » Fri Oct 8, 2021 6:18 am

Rip32 wrote:Wouldn't shock me. We were conservative with out pick

:lol: :lol:
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#18 » by MotownMadness » Fri Oct 8, 2021 6:39 am

bstein14 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:What’s really interesting is how few think Green will ultimately be the best player.

I think that might come down to player mentality. He's really athletic and has worked hard to get here... but does he have the desire to be great once he gets paid? If he has the drive he could/should be the best player in this draft but I wouldn't be surprised it he was a bit of a Drummond... elite athlete that wants to get his and is more worried about his "brand" than being great and playing winning basketball... Of course its a bit early for me to make these assertions but I still would take Ja Morant over him, or anyone in this draft class. I think Green really does fit my comparison of a young Spreewell and I see it not only in his game but a bit in his comments and personality as well.

That team will have some interesting personalities between Wood, Green, KPJ and Wall for the time being.
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,325

Post#19 » by Mr Peanut » Fri Oct 8, 2021 10:31 am

The ROY pick I can understand as Green spent the last year in the G-league playing better competition. The Mobley one is a bit of a headscratcher though.
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#20 » by DetroitSho » Fri Oct 8, 2021 11:36 am

Manocad wrote:

Well you definitely missed the mark on that since he never made it to the NBA after he decided to pursue football. He did become a helluva sack master on the field tho.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

Return to Detroit Pistons