ImageImageImage

NBA GMs think Green will win ROY, Mobley will be best rookie from this class in 5 years.

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Re: NBA GMs think Green will win ROY, Mobley will be best rookie from this class in 5 years. 

Post#21 » by Manocad » Fri Oct 8, 2021 11:44 am

Rip32 wrote:Wouldn't shock me. We were conservative with out pick

Yes, it's definitely conservative to take the consensus #1 pick who instantly becomes the desperately needed face of the franchise, plays a position of team need, and is an all-around good player. Why not just get crazy and take a player who's not the consensus #1 pick, plays at a high level in only certain facets of his game, and doesn't embrace the team culture? It could work out. Go bonkers.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Re: NBA GMs think Green will win ROY, Mobley will be best rookie from this class in 5 years. 

Post#22 » by DBC10 » Fri Oct 8, 2021 2:57 pm

bstein14 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:What’s really interesting is how few think Green will ultimately be the best player.

I think that might come down to player mentality. He's really athletic and has worked hard to get here... but does he have the desire to be great once he gets paid? If he has the drive he could/should be the best player in this draft but I wouldn't be surprised it he was a bit of a Drummond... elite athlete that wants to get his and is more worried about his "brand" than being great and playing winning basketball... Of course its a bit early for me to make these assertions but I still would take Ja Morant over him, or anyone in this draft class. I think Green really does fit my comparison of a young Spreewell and I see it not only in his game but a bit in his comments and personality as well.

To be fair, every young player worries about their brand and namesake nowadays. There was a fairly candid interview with a player agent where young guys nowadays care more about getting a viral dunk clip or crossover over getting a player of the week or month award. Makes sense since a viral clip hits the web in millions of views easily on YouTube and Twitter and lasts a while. These young guys are basically social media influencers on the side while being pros, it's a complete different market and dynamic to what it was 15 years ago

I don't blame them for making their mark like that. It has potential to payoff for a looooong ass time. Far longer than an average nba contract could.

But I agree with you, he does come off a bit as someone that may focus more on the glitz and glamorous instead of being more like a psycho workaholic like Kobe
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#23 » by ComboGuardCity » Fri Oct 8, 2021 3:59 pm

I think all 3 will be good players, but not sure which ones will be great. My money is still on Cade.

Mobley’s motor is worrisome and so is his situation. Green also is a step ahead after playing against fringe NBA players last year. Right now he reminds me of 2nd year Ben Mclemore, but obviously Mclemore stopped growing. Will be interesting to see what they all looking like 40 games in and then again 200 games in.
Pistonrings
Bench Warmer
And1: 284

Post#24 » by Pistonrings » Sat Oct 9, 2021 1:10 am

Glad we didn't take Green, hearing him run his mouth already is a huge red flag. I don't like players who depend on jumping out of the gym for a large part of their game because the NBA has plenty of athlete's like that and many aren't stars. Diallo is super athletic but he has a long way to go before he makes the all star game.

And for me, the G league as better than college doesn't mean much as I remember Bruce Brown and Henry Ellenson would go down and dominate yet couldn't do square with the Pistons.

Seemed like twice a week I would hear that Ellenson put up 25 and 18, 19 and 16, games like that and them come up to the Pistons and play 15 minutes and have 5 points and 2 rebounds.

In fact, Greens first preseason game looked awful familiar. Dominate the G league, come up and go 4-14 and score 12 points in 27 minutes. I watched the game, yep, he sure can jump high, but it didn't do him much good from what I saw. Looked to me like he wasn't expecting the defense to be as intense as it was, as if he was expecting G league competition.

I don't doubt he'll be a fine player if he doesn't become a head case, which looks very possible to me. He may become an all star, but I would take Cade any day and I think Houston would have too if they could have.

Cade has a perfect NBA body, doesn't do a lot of things that will physically impact his knees and such like the high jumpers do (I have my doubts Zion will be even close to as explosive as he is by the time he's 27)
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,870

Post#25 » by MotownMadness » Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:17 am

Read on Twitter
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,885

Post#26 » by tmorgan » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:02 am

Mobley has a nice, wide-ranging skill set. The #1 thing I took from that highlight package tho is he looks slow as hell.

I think he’ll be really good, but if the Cavs give him a big role this year, he’s gonna struggle many nights. His body is definitely not ready yet.
vic
Veteran
And1: 1,044

Post#27 » by vic » Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:34 am

MotownMadness wrote:
Read on Twitter

Very fast learner. He's going to be a beast.

He's doing that with other bigs on the floor with him. INSANE.

I'm good with Cade but Mobley was definitely my 2nd choice. I had them ranked 1A, 1B.
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Weaver & Casey, govern yourselves accordingly!
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,870

Post#28 » by MotownMadness » Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:05 pm

vic wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:
Read on Twitter

Very fast learner. He's going to be a beast.

He's doing that with other bigs on the floor with him. INSANE.

I'm good with Cade but Mobley was definitely my 2nd choice. I had them ranked 1A, 1B.

Yeah they were my top 2 as well
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,039

Post#29 » by bstein14 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:18 pm

Mobley with some great passes in the highlight package. Will be interesting to see just how good he ends up being in the passing game. Lots of people had Mobley as the highest upside guy, but he was also widely considered to be the guy with the most risk as well. You can see why Weaver was reportedly listening to offers that included other top picks right up to the week of the draft. My guess is that not only Cade, Green, and Mobley will be all-stars at some point on their rookie deals (year 3 or 4 in the league) but that we will see a few other all-stars from this draft class as well.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#30 » by flow » Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:28 pm

Read on Twitter
Manocad
RealGM

Post#31 » by Manocad » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:45 pm

flow wrote:
Read on Twitter

:lol:
Compared to Wilt's 58 points, 24 boards, and 3 assists (they didn't track blocks then) Mobley looks like a friggin' bust.

Kidding, of course. Just wanted to try out some RealGM logic there for a sec.
Manocad
RealGM

Post#32 » by Manocad » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:56 pm

With Jalen Green shooting 28.6% so far, when should he be declared a bust? Asking for a friend.
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,116

Post#33 » by The Moose » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:45 pm

I always thought Mobley and Cade were the 2 best players in this draft, I thought they ranked in their own tier as players.
That being said, Mobley is looking a little better than I even expected, hopefully Cade looks as good when he returns. Mobley is looking like he’s going to be scary in a few years. He’s probably already a top 5 passing big man
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#34 » by Pharaoh » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:11 am

I'll go out on a tree and say Scott Barnes was the guy Weaver wanted IF we didn't get the #1 pick.

Evidence: I saw a video where he mentioned him at some point even after we drafted Cade as a guy we were looking at prior to the Lottery. I noted that he didn't mention Green, Mobley or Suggs in the interview.

Evidence: wanted Pat Williams the year before but Chicago got him early

Evidence: fits the mold of long, big, versatile player at his position that Weaver has drafted and/or acquired.

Stewart, Grant, Barnes, Bey, Hayes

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM Forums mobile app
dVs33
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 1,751

Post#35 » by dVs33 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:33 am

Manocad wrote:With Jalen Green shooting 28.6% so far, when should he be declared a bust? Asking for a friend.

Less than 26 games
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,039

Post#36 » by bstein14 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:00 pm

Pharaoh wrote:I'll go out on a tree and say Scott Barnes was the guy Weaver wanted IF we didn't get the #1 pick.

Evidence: I saw a video where he mentioned him at some point even after we drafted Cade as a guy we were looking at prior to the Lottery. I noted that he didn't mention Green, Mobley or Suggs in the interview.

Evidence: wanted Pat Williams the year before but Chicago got him early

Evidence: fits the mold of long, big, versatile player at his position that Weaver has drafted and/or acquired.

Stewart, Grant, Barnes, Bey, Hayes

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM Forums mobile app

I would bet that a trade with OKC was likely the closest to happening, especially after Green made it known he wanted to go to Detroit only if they would use the #1 pick on him... he didn't want to go to Detroit if they traded down in the draft.

SGA + Barnes + whatever other assets OKC would have given up would have been Weaver was hoping for, BUT Barnes ended up not going #6 or #7 list most predicted because the "top 5 lock" of Cade-Green-Mobley-Suggs-Kuminga didn't actually happen.
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,083

Post#37 » by NYPiston » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:57 pm

The Moose wrote:I always thought Mobley and Cade were the 2 best players in this draft, I thought they ranked in their own tier as players.
That being said, Mobley is looking a little better than I even expected, hopefully Cade looks as good when he returns. Mobley is looking like he’s going to be scary in a few years. He’s probably already a top 5 passing big man

It's hard to take anything concrete away from a small sample size but I was cautious about Mobley mainly because of his lack of assertiveness in college. Well, he looks really aggressive early on to my surprise. The skillset was never the question, he has a great array of skills for a man that size, but the mentality always gave me pause with him. If he can harness that killer mentality, he's going to be great.

FTR, Cade was always my #1 so my praise of Mobley isn't a knock on the Cade pick.
440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Post#38 » by 440BB » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:47 pm

NYPiston wrote:
The Moose wrote:I always thought Mobley and Cade were the 2 best players in this draft, I thought they ranked in their own tier as players.

It's hard to take anything concrete away from a small sample size but I was cautious about Mobley mainly because of his lack of assertiveness in college. Well, he looks really aggressive early on to my surprise. The skillset was never the question, he has a great array of skills for a man that size, but the mentality always gave me pause with him. If he can harness that killer mentality, he's going to be great.

FTR, Cade was always my #1 so my praise of Mobley isn't a knock on the Cade pick.

I think Pistons fans as a whole were still suffering from the low motor Drummond effect when looking at Mobley. I know that was a big red flag for me.
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
Sort
Rookie
And1: 444

Post#39 » by Sort » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:57 pm

So much is going to happen this year. I definitely think more highly of Mobley than Green, and not just because of Green's errant tongue. In some ways Green will be on full display. One of the Ringer guys pointed out that Green might have the biggest green light to shoot ever given to a rookie. And well, there are reasons why most rookies don't have that kind of freedom. He should certainly have some forty point nights as the year goes along, but it's also just too early to know about these young men's bodies and whether they're really up for an NBA schedule.
Manocad
RealGM

Post#40 » by Manocad » Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:47 pm

Sort wrote:So much is going to happen this year. I definitely think more highly of Mobley than Green, and not just because of Green's errant tongue. In some ways Green will be on full display. One of the Ringer guys pointed out that Green might have the biggest green light to shoot ever given to a rookie. And well, there are reasons why most rookies don't have that kind of freedom. He should certainly have some forty point nights as the year goes along, but it's also just too early to know about these young men's bodies and whether they're really up for an NBA schedule.

This made me think of the G-league vs college debate. I liked Green as my pick if Cade wasn't available due to him going against G-leaguers who for the most part were stars/near stars which is how they made it to there in the first place. Obviously PLENTY of NCAA teams have starting players that by NBA standards would be absolute bums. But there are plenty of people who argue that NCAA teams with junior and senior stars offer a higher level of competition than 18 and 19 year old G-leaguers and I can see some validity in that argument too.

And in full disclosure, I'll take maturity over youth in the draft pick sense. Give me a 21-22 year old college senior projected top 10 pick all day every day over an 18-19 year old NCAA one-and-done or G-leaguer projected top 10. I don't buy into that "shorter window" stuff about taking a guy who's 21-22 vs 18,19 or 20. Given that the average peak of an NBA player is 27, even if you drafted a 23 year old, if you haven't figured out how to put the right team around that guy in four years to compete for a championship then you probably weren't competing anyway. I don't think there are many teams operating with 7-10 year rebuilding plans and thus need to make 18-19 year old top 10 draft picks a priority.

Return to Detroit Pistons