Official 2021-2022 Utah Jazz Season Discussion Thread

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,923

Re: Official 2021-2022 Utah Jazz Season Discussion Thread 

Post#101 » by tugs » Fri Oct 8, 2021 3:34 am

Crunch 99 wrote:
tugs wrote:Don't wanna jinx anything about Butler yet but I just want to say for #40, scouting team should really pat themselves on the back

babyjax13 wrote:Yah, Butler looks like a low-end starting caliber guard now, pretty amazing. I think we might see a lot of three guard lineups with how good he is.

Last night was the first time I saw Butler play. I only watched the first half, but count me in as excited about Butler's potential. And the fact that he has Conley here to mentor him is a bonus that will help spur his development.
I can see him with an offense as diverse as Donovan but of course less athletic and smaller in height and built, but his composure is there and I agree Mike mentoring him will do wonders for his growth. Offense is smooth. Those floaters are butter

And having Butler go against different types of defenders will only hasten his development: a savvy one in Mike, bullish in Trent, lengthy in JC

Defense won't be as suspect if he can get in front of the likes of Donovan, Mike, Jordan, and Bojan
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,470

Post#102 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Oct 8, 2021 5:52 pm

Agreed, fellas. Jared Butler is a stud.

Read on Twitter
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,280

Post#103 » by babyjax13 » Fri Oct 8, 2021 7:09 pm

Read on Twitter

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,018

Post#104 » by SoCalJazzFan » Fri Oct 8, 2021 8:49 pm

If Kevin Love were to be bought out and willing to sign for the min, would you do it? Should the Jazz keep open a roster spot just in case they get an opportunity like this?

Here are the last two season stats for Love and Gay https://stathead.com/tiny/WFtNz
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#105 » by AingesBurner » Fri Oct 8, 2021 11:10 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:If Kevin Love were to be bought out and willing to sign for the min, would you do it? Should the Jazz keep open a roster spot just in case they get an opportunity like this?

Here are the last two season stats for Love and Gay https://stathead.com/tiny/WFtNz

I would.
Ingles is cooked.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#106 » by Crunch 99 » Sat Oct 9, 2021 1:22 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:If Kevin Love were to be bought out and willing to sign for the min, would you do it? Should the Jazz keep open a roster spot just in case they get an opportunity like this?

Now that we already have Whiteside and Gay, I wouldn't hold a spot open for the slim chance that Love becomes available and wants to come here.

I am looking forward to seeing what Gay can do, though I am a bit worried about his age. FWIW, when I look at RAPM, Love and Gay have similar rankings, but Gay is ranked high on DRAPM and low on ORAPM, whereas Love is ranked high on ORAPM but low on DRAPM. I doubt Love has been focusing on playing defense on lottery bound Cleveland recently, and Love was never known as a very good defender to begin with. JMO.

http://nbashotcharts.com/rapm3?id=-189503226
tugs
RealGM

Post#107 » by tugs » Sat Oct 9, 2021 3:56 pm

On the fence. If Ersan, who by the eye test is better than Love defensively with similar offense, didn't even sniff the court during crucial times last year when his skill set can be of use, I highly doubt an injury prone Kevin will
D Rog
Junior
And1: 83

Post#108 » by D Rog » Sat Oct 9, 2021 6:58 pm

tugs wrote:injury prone Kevin

I feel bad for the guy because he can't stay heathy but he has made more $$$ in one year than I did in a career so it is hard to feel too bad for him. I feel worse for Cavs fans because he is killing their cap situation. I also think "injury prone" doesn't quite cover it. Dead weight is rude but...
D Rog
Junior
And1: 83

Post#109 » by D Rog » Sat Oct 9, 2021 7:03 pm

I also have to eat a little crow - please pass the tobasco sauce. I thought T Forrest was going to be ahead of Butler in this years rotation and Butler wouldn't get much if any playing time. If he can play in the regular season anywhere near what he has done in the first 2 pre--season games then DAMN!!! Jazz may have won the 2021 draft. Still very early though
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#110 » by babyjax13 » Sat Oct 9, 2021 10:04 pm

Monte Morris kind of reminds me of Butler, too. I think those are a pretty reasonable cloud of comparisons: Monte Morris / Late career George Hill / Jalen Brunson.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#111 » by babyjax13 » Sat Oct 9, 2021 10:05 pm

GobertReport wrote:

I would.

I think he's worth a shot, too. I like Oni, but I'd release him if Love were available.

JColl
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#112 » by AingesBurner » Sat Oct 9, 2021 10:11 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
GobertReport wrote:

I would.

I think he's worth a shot, too. I like Oni, but I'd release him if Love were available.

Most definitely and Love loves Utah.
Ingles is cooked.
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#113 » by Crunch 99 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:46 pm

The Pelicans are tipping off against the Jazz at Vivint tonight at 7pm MST. The early indication is that we will start last season's regular starting five, but that could change. Only Rudy Gay is listed OUT for Jazz. For NOP, leading scorers Zion and Ingram are listed OUT.
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#114 » by Crunch 99 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:51 pm

Rauxcee wrote:I just learned as a Dish customer I can no longer watch Jazz games. As I live in Utah, it means NBA tv is blocked out. Cool. Cool, cool, cool. :-?

Yes, Dish pulled a fast one imo. The legal viewing options suck for those of us who live in Utah because League Pass blacks out games, while Direct TV, Direct TV Streaming and Comcast/Xfinity are pretty expensive. But we just got one more streaming option about an hour ago --- FUBO TV. It is not clear what their final cost is though.

I believe this is the last season of the Jazz' long term deal with AT&T. The Jazz organization says they are feverishly working on providing expanded viewing options beginning with the 2022/3 season.

FuboTV strikes deal to stream Utah Jazz games
https://www.ksl.com/article/50259816/fubotv-strikes-deal-to-stream-utah-jazz-games

How can I watch Utah Jazz games this season?
https://www.sltrib.com/sports/jazz/2021/10/06/how-can-i-watch-utah-jazz/
kamazilla
Senior
And1: 62

Post#115 » by kamazilla » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:05 pm

Excellent, thanks for the info. Quit dish after the NBA Finals, and was hoping an alternative to Xfinity would be available for the upcoming season.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#116 » by zero24gravity » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:27 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:
Rauxcee wrote:I just learned as a Dish customer I can no longer watch Jazz games. As I live in Utah, it means NBA tv is blocked out. Cool. Cool, cool, cool. :-?

Yes, Dish pulled a fast one imo. The legal viewing options suck for those of us who live in Utah because League Pass blacks out games, while Direct TV, Direct TV Streaming and Comcast/Xfinity are pretty expensive. But we just got one more streaming option about an hour ago --- FUBO TV. It is not clear what their final cost is though.

I believe this is the last season of the Jazz' long term deal with AT&T. The Jazz organization says they are feverishly working on providing expanded viewing options beginning with the 2022/3 season.

FuboTV strikes deal to stream Utah Jazz games
https://www.ksl.com/article/50259816/fubotv-strikes-deal-to-stream-utah-jazz-games

How can I watch Utah Jazz games this season?
https://www.sltrib.com/sports/jazz/2021/10/06/how-can-i-watch-utah-jazz/

Lucky that I'm with Comcast (never thought I'd say that). Fubo seems like a great option. I was hearing it's like $60 a month. Only issue for Jazz games is that Fubo doesn't carry TNT, which has a handful of Jazz games this season, and then when he hit the playoffs, you will be missing a lot, or maybe all of them. Of course, if you have Dish + Fubo, then you're covered. Sucks for Dish Jazz fans, big time. $60 extra a month isn't nothing, especially when you signed up to get that as part of the TV package you already pay for.
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#117 » by Crunch 99 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:32 pm

I only saw parts of the Pelicans game, but the general consensus appears to be that Whiteside was pretty bad --- worse than Favors was in his last season, and that it would be a great overstatement to refer to Whiteside as Gobert-light. Gobert is the King of screen assists whereas Whiteside apparently has no feel for it at all and doesn't know the tendencies of our players yet. Hopefully he can be coached up, or maybe Gay or Paschall will turn out to be better options for Center?

Can the Jazz survive when Rudy Gobert sits?
https://www.ksl.com/article/50260193/can-the-jazz-survive-when-rudy-gobert-sits-
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#118 » by Crunch 99 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:45 pm

The good news from the Pelicans game is that Conley and Gobert looked great. Man, I hope Conley's new training routine that includes Hot Yoga, combined with productive minutes from Butler filling in, works to keep Conley available to play most of the games this season.

Imo, Paschall was the only non regular rotation player that made an impression. Butler was out with non-covid illness, and Forrest suffered a concussion two minutes in to his stint.
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#119 » by Crunch 99 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:56 pm

Mitchell had the offensive move of the game and also had some outstanding defensive plays.

Read on Twitter
tugs
RealGM

Post#120 » by tugs » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:35 pm

The rotation seems pretty much set, with the exception of maybe Hassan and Eric. One of them might get benched for Gay.

To be fair to Whiteside, his instincts of rolling and expecting a pass is kicking in, multiple times he almost deflected passes for others, but a least he's being a roll threat down there. His length and size were also helping in altering shots. The things he did were not reflected in the box score.

Paschall is as advertised: mobile small ball big who can score. Laterally he can keep up and rebounding wasn't a problem as the team took a committee approach crashing the boards.

Liked what I saw with Mike, seems his built has improved. Hope this added weight won't aggravate his hamstring. Gobert also looked to score on multiple occasions. Jazz needs him to be an offensive threat and not just a decoy.

The bench was exciting, all can contribute. JC, Joe should be the regulars and I can see it'll be anyone from Whiteside, Paschall, Forrest, and Gay to round out the rotation. Quin saying Jared should be patient worries me though. I hope he gets some reps.

Return to Utah Jazz