ImageImageImage

Can Eugene Omoruyi please start?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

dirkdiggler4177
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,203

Can Eugene Omoruyi please start? 

Post#1 » by dirkdiggler4177 » Sat Oct 9, 2021 3:01 pm

He moves so well and it would be so fun to watch him with Luka who always finds the open guy. I can't wait to watch more of him.

How did he play in the scrimmage?

Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,979

Re: Can Eugene Omoruyi please start? 

Post#2 » by Apz » Sat Oct 9, 2021 8:18 pm

He been great both pre season games and iirc ok in the scrimmage. He got some mins with KP/Luka yesterday, which I see as a sign that kidd wants him on the team.

Question, is there a change in how 2 ways work? On locked on mavs it sounded like they could stay up pretty much how much mavs want, but used to be regulated iirc?
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,318

Post#3 » by Mavrelous » Sat Oct 9, 2021 8:40 pm

It's a 2 year contract IIRC, and you maintain matching rights.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#4 » by ejs78 » Sat Oct 9, 2021 10:27 pm

We need to see him vs real competition and go from there.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM Forums mobile app
Imon
Head Coach
And1: 6,263

Post#5 » by Imon » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:58 am

Preseason is preseason.

He seems like a hustle player to me but more limited than DFS. Biggest weakness is that he doesn't have a long track record of hitting 3's. Not that DFS is a knock-down shooter but he is almost certainly more reliable in that department.
Although with RC gone and Kidd in things might change. DFS was a RC-type of player so who knows if he might fall out of favor with Kidd.
mxr2000
Sophomore
And1: 19

Post#6 » by mxr2000 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:09 am

If shows that he can play some D and shoot from 3 he can stay i also would like to see him play more time with Mosess Brown saw some plays in which brown could pass the ball to Eugene and viceversa that is very i.portant in play off time where you need to need to be more of a team player and less selfish.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,782

Post#7 » by 41Dirk41 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:23 am

Imon wrote:Preseason is preseason.

He seems like a hustle player to me but more limited than DFS. Biggest weakness is that he doesn't have a long track record of hitting 3's. Not that DFS is a knock-down shooter but he is almost certainly more reliable in that department.
Although with RC gone and Kidd in things might change. DFS was a RC-type of player so who knows if he might fall out of favor with Kidd.

Yes, you are right... Preseason is not very competitive but he can't more limited than DFS,i see him pass the ball and dribble...never see DFS did those things.
Maverick41
Analyst
And1: 2,485

Post#8 » by Maverick41 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:07 am

41Dirk41 wrote:Yes, you are right... Preseason is not very competitive but he can't more limited than DFS,i see him pass the ball and dribble...never see DFS did those things.

DFS actually vastly improved last year with his passing and playmaking particularly after faking out a closeout. He's not great at it by any means but he's decent at it at least.

If Eugene can have a comparable career to DFS, I would be ecstatic. Mavs have always had a knack for finding good undrafted players .
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by 41Dirk41 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:24 am

Maverick41 wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:Yes, you are right... Preseason is not very competitive but he can't more limited than DFS,i see him pass the ball and dribble...never see DFS did those things.

DFS actually vastly improved last year with his passing and playmaking particularly after faking out a closeout. He's not great at it by any means but he's decent at it at least.

If Eugene can have a comparable career to DFS, I would be ecstatic. Mavs have always had a knack for finding good undrafted players .

I see in DFS only a spot up shooter, especially in PO... Nothing more, he lost the ball a lot of time when he tried to dribble.
dirkdiggler4177
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,203

Post#10 » by dirkdiggler4177 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:19 pm

Imon wrote:Preseason is preseason.

DFS is the limited player. He can't dribble or drive very well. He basically a 3&D player who sometimes gets the offensive rebound. What Eugene does that I have not seen since Shawn Marion is cutting and being at the right spot at the right time. If he is able to become a good defender he will be a nightmare compared to DFS. The reason why I think this is because LeBron, Kawhi etc. can just chill when they guard DFS, but with Eugene, they have to pay attention. He also seems to have a knack for offensive rebounds and great patients. Almost Zach Randolph-like.
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,746

Post#11 » by leolozon » Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:21 pm

We have very limited information and things can turn around fast

Still, if we judge on the limited information we have, I see more potential in Omoruyi than DFS. DFS still has 3pt shooting, defense and I guess he is faster. But Omoruyi is showing that he has a higher BBIQ, that he can outmuscle guys (something the team needs) and that he he has an edge in passing and ballhandling. Meanwhile, it's easy to think that he could close the edge in 3pt shooting and defense. He got better at shooting 2 years in a row in college (FTs and 3pts).
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,318

Post#12 » by Mavrelous » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:24 pm

The fascination with drafting 18y/o based on potential and ignoring good talent with 4 years in college has created a lot of busts, but also opportunities, Guys like, Duncan Robinson, DFS, Nunn and now guys like Ommoryyi, and even Luka Garza who went 52nd.
Mavs spent the 33rd pick in the deepest draft in the last 10 years on a college vet and got solid rotation player, makes you wonder what went wrong on 2020 draft.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,024

Post#13 » by daoneandonly » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:44 pm

KhalilS wrote:The fascination with drafting 18y/o based on potential and ignoring good talent with 4 years in college has created a lot of busts, but also opportunities, Guys like, Duncan Robinson, DFS, Nunn and now guys like Ommoryyi, and even Luka Garza who went 52nd.
Mavs spent the 33rd pick in the deepest draft in the last 10 years on a college vet and got solid rotation player, makes you wonder what went wrong on 2020 draft.

If i remember correctly what I read, Cuban gave the reigns to that gambling Bob guy and he made those horrendous picks. Again, I wont criticize the Curry/J Rich trade cause I would have done the same, but Josh Green sucked then and sucks now, and someone should have researched and known there were red flags on terry.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#14 » by Darren » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:20 am

Unfortunately, Eugene cannot impress vs Milwaukee player, or else, Eugene could have secured a spot. But anyway, Ntilikina serves a need on a team without any quick guard stopper. Despite being ineffective, Ntilikina still check the plus/minus box. I think this is the reason why Frank stays on active roster.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Post#15 » by HairyGOATee » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:32 pm

He looked good against the Clippers. I hope he makes an impact in the G league and then in the pros later on this year.
I really just hope the Mavs invest in a guy like him for more than one season though. They change their 2 Way Players each and every single season. Need more continuity there, tbh.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:56 pm

We have a lot of similar kind of players (Brunson-Burke...DFS-Bullock-Brown...Boban-WCS-Moses...), but nobody is like him.
leolozon
General Manager

Post#17 » by leolozon » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:50 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:We have a lot of similar kind of players (Brunson-Burke...DFS-Bullock-Brown...Boban-WCS-Moses...), but nobody is like him.

I agree. He did produce and he does have something unique that the team needs. I wish they just let him play on some matchups. Team needs hungry guys.

You forgot Ntikilina in the DFS-Bullock-Brown mold, but with less shooting.
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,979

Post#18 » by Apz » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:01 am

I so wish he would be full time with us. Tonight, when **** just doesnt go our way, having him bulldoze the hawks team would have been nice
leolozon
General Manager

Post#19 » by leolozon » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:17 am

Apz wrote:I so wish he would be full time with us. Tonight, when **** just doesnt go our way, having him bulldoze the hawks team would have been nice

I can't help thinking that sending him back to the G league shows a lack of forward thinking by the Mavs.

Maybe he's bad and will never be an NBA player, but he has something that the Mavs need. Yet, they are content playing the same players who didn't get it done in the past two years and who have no upside.

Give me someone who wants to prove something with the type of body and game severely lacking on the Mavs. It seems like a no brainer gamble to keep him around and give him low minutes. If you're wrong, you're wrong. You didn't really lose anything. It's not as if the Mavs role players are must play guys. It seems like most of them play bad half the time.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by 41Dirk41 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:35 am

He can not be worse than all of our 5-6 points game players who are supposed to be good defender but they are average.

Return to Dallas Mavericks