2021-22 Rookie Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Who will be the three best rookies?

Cade Cunningham
14%
Jalen Green
16%
Evan Mobley
21%
Scottie Barnes
25%
Jalen Suggs
6%
Josh Giddey
9%
Jonathan Kuminga
1%
Trey Murphy
1%
James Bouknight
2%
Other
5%

Total votes: 899

Bruin
RealGM
And1: 38,490

Re: 2021-22 Rookie Thread 

Post#81 » by Bruin » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:56 am

Green is gonna need to get his body stronger to be able to handle physical defenses. He got his first taste of elite defenses focusing on him tonight
DNice68
Rookie
And1: 376

Post#82 » by DNice68 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:56 am

XTC wrote:Mobley and Barnes go #1 and #2 in a redraft. Both are legit game changers on the defensive end, with underrated offensive games. It's crazy how these two where so underappreciated by so many on this board.

Both are lengthy athletes with a natural feel for the game. It was obvious these two had the highest upside.

Calm down!
JLiv
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,040

Post#83 » by JLiv » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:28 am

Gimme Green Cunningham and Barnes, not in that order
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,094

Post#84 » by The Moose » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:43 am

Cade/Mobley/Barnes for me
everdiso
General Manager
And1: 10,125

Post#85 » by everdiso » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:59 am

Per36

S.Barnes 4gm, 13.5pts (50.5ts%), 7.1ast (3.0to), 7.1rb (2.4off), 2.0st, 1.7bk
J.Green 3gm, 16.5pts (47.0ts%), 3.6ast (4.0to), 6.7rb (0.4off), 1.3st, 0.0bk
E.Mobley 4gm, 12.4pts (51.0ts%), 1.9ast (1.9to), 10.8rb (1.9off), 1.3st, 2.5bk
J.Suggs 3gm, 8.0pts (32.2ts%), 4.8ast (3.2to), 5.8rb (0.5off), 1.1st, 2.1bk
C.Cunningham 0gm
"I wasn't gonna act surprised - cuz I wasn't surprised."
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,158

Post#86 » by PhilBlackson » Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:15 am

In short, Mobley right now is showing flashes of being the best player in the draft. I'm really interested to see how Cade does once he gets going and Scottie has really surprised me how good he is, I don't know about surpassing Mobley but he's showing potential to be in the conversation.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,117

Post#87 » by God Squad » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:55 am

Green his first taste of lockdown defense. Raptors made him look useless. Sengun for all his flopping had a better impact.

Jalen Green
Shooting -5pts 2-6
7 turnovers
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,200

Post#88 » by babyjax13 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:44 am

This rookie class already looks crazy good. It was apparent it was a deep draft (I had 50 guys rated as first round caliber prospects) but we are already seeing really tantalizing stuff in preseason. Hard not to overreact.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Post#89 » by The_Hater » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:39 am

XTC wrote:Mobley and Barnes go #1 and #2 in a redraft. Both are legit game changers on the defensive end, with underrated offensive games. It's crazy how these two where so underappreciated by so many on this board.

Both are lengthy athletes with a natural feel for the game. It was obvious these two had the highest upside.

Except Barnes isn’t an underrated offensive player. Probably overrated because while he’s atheltic and can handle and pass, he can’t shoot to save his life right now. It’s WIP. Very Simmons-like but not as good yet.

I’m excited for his future too but a lot of Raps fans are getting ahead of themselves at this point.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,117

Post#90 » by God Squad » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:51 am

The_Hater wrote:

Except Barnes isn’t an underrated offensive player. Probably overrated because while he’s atheltic and can handle and pass, he can’t shoot to save his life right now. It’s WIP. Very Simmons-like but not as good yet.

I’m excited for his future too but a lot of Raps fans are getting ahead of themselves at this point.

100% he can't shoot. But as basketball fans we should know theres more to the game than that, especially early on when trying to earn minutes with your coach. He won't be a good scorer this year, but I'm nearly positive either he or Mobley will lead ALL rookies in impact stats. Barnes just knows how to lead an offense and get reb/assist/stls/blks with minimum turnovers. If Barnes can average 10ppg while continuing to be a beast in other categories I'd consider that a win.

I'll 100% take "Simmons-lite but not as good yet" except more of a willing shooter as rookie any day of the week.
The_Hater

Post#91 » by The_Hater » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:54 am

God Squad wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

100% he can't shoot. But as basketball fans we should know theres more to the game than that, especially early on when trying to earn minutes with your coach. He won't be a good scorer this year, but I'm nearly positive either he or Mobley will lead ALL rookies in impact stats. Barnes just knows how to lead an offense and get reb/assist/stls/blks with minimum turnovers. If Barnes can average 10ppg while continuing to be a beast in other categories I'd consider that a win.

I'll 100% take "Simmons-lite but not as good yet" except more of a willing shooter as rookie any day of the week.

No argument about anything you wrote here, but without a jumper defenses aren’t going to allow him to get to the rim and use his passing. He’ll be a fullcourt threat snd that’s about it.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
everdiso
General Manager

Post#92 » by everdiso » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:32 pm

The_Hater wrote:
God Squad wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

No argument about anything you wrote here, but without a jumper defenses aren’t going to allow him to get to the rim and use his passing. He’ll be a fullcourt threat snd that’s about it.

These are weird posts - Scottie has been hitting his mid range jumpers with ease so far.
DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,142

Post#93 » by DroseReturnChi » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:42 pm

PhilBlackson wrote:In short, Mobley right now is showing flashes of being the best player in the draft. I'm really interested to see how Cade does once he gets going and Scottie has really surprised me how good he is, I don't know about surpassing Mobley but he's showing potential to be in the conversation.

yep when i meant best player im talking abt only flashes but most of the time you can tell whether hes just had a good preseason or like a real stud. and mobley sucked in summer league i had no high expectations couple of preseason sample were enough to declare him as best player. he has an aura since embiid, davis you know hes great when a big man is already elite defensively.

so pretty much its a battle of cade and barnes with green already proven himself as potential all nba as well. its not like i hate cade since he has benefit of the doubt but im lesser of a fan since his game wasnt what i envisoned. still to prone, playmaking issues hes more of a shooting one trick pony he has become one dimensional. if he cant win roy, i think its safe to say hes not the best player in this draft. at this point, its mobley and green to lose cade has to work 10x harder. let alone best player its going to be tough for cade to beat out a prime draymond green for the next decade. thats another mvp candidate in addition to mobley.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
The_Hater

Post#94 » by The_Hater » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:45 pm

everdiso wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
God Squad wrote:100% he can't shoot. But as basketball fans we should know theres more to the game than that, especially early on when trying to earn minutes with your coach. He won't be a good scorer this year, but I'm nearly positive either he or Mobley will lead ALL rookies in impact stats. Barnes just knows how to lead an offense and get reb/assist/stls/blks with minimum turnovers. If Barnes can average 10ppg while continuing to be a beast in other categories I'd consider that a win.

These are weird posts - Scottie has been hitting his mid range jumpers with ease so far.

I’ve watched every exhibition game and I think your memory wouldn’t be supported by the stats. He’s been pretty good from 10-12 feet and and shorter but has been well below average outside of that. Some misses have been pretty bad too. And 10-23 feet is considered mid range. We want talk about his 0fer from the arc

He’s definitely being given these shots by the defence as well. The book is out and real defense doesn’t even start until next week.
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.
everdiso
General Manager

Post#95 » by everdiso » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:05 pm

The_Hater wrote:
everdiso wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

I’ve watched every exhibition game and I think your memory wouldn’t be supported by the stats. He’s been pretty good from 10-12 feet and and shorter but has been well below average outside of that. Some misses have been pretty bad too. And 10-23 feet is considered mid range. We want talk about his 0fer from the arc

He’s definitely being given these shots by the defence as well. The book is out and real defense doesn’t even start until next week.

He's had no problem hitting mid range jumpers at all. Shooting 60% on 2pters overall too.

But yep, he hasn't hit any 3pters yet.
rpa
RealGM
And1: 7,445

Post#96 » by rpa » Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:34 pm

I'm not ready to say I was wrong about Davion Mitchell yet (I hated the pick), but he looks like he could provide elite 3+D as a rookie. We've seen the defensive prowess already, but under the radar: he's 20/41 on 3pters between preseason and summer league. He obviously won't shoot 50% in the regular season, but this small sample size combined with 45% in his senior season is pretty damn promising.

He may never be a superstar, but is looking like he may be a highly effective, under the radar kind of player like Jrue Holiday (4th in his draft class in VORP--behind Curry, Harden, and Blake, but ahead of DD, Rubio, et al).
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,805

Post#97 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:37 pm

1) Mobley
2) Green
3) Barnes
4) Giddey
5) Sengun

Thats what I see so far.
Madhouse
RealGM
And1: 9,876

Post#98 » by Madhouse » Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:56 pm

The_Hater wrote:

He can shoot actually. Just not consistently right now especially not from 3 point range. But he has a shot. More Shaun Livingston like as a shooter than Ben Simmons.
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,588

Post#99 » by Roger Murdock » Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:04 pm

Mobley’s flashes are insane. In terms of what he’s capable of he’s got to be one of the 5 toolsiest players in the NBA

I think he might struggle a bit because his games so dynamic he’s going to have a less defined role and will have to do a bit of everything which will be good for him long term. As he bulks up and improves his shot he can be special

I think Mobley and Green are the ‘best player on a title team’ talents if they get there.

This class as a whole seems just insane. Loving what I’m seeing from most players.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,524

Post#100 » by zeebneeb » Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:39 pm

So your redrafting even before the season starts?

What?

Return to The General Board