What NBA teams would offer Ayton a max of he's not extended?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,382

What NBA teams would offer Ayton a max of he's not extended? 

Post#1 » by Ghost of Kleine » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:56 am

If Saver screws things up again and doesn't extend Ayton with the max he's seeking, Which teams next summer would most likely look to offer him the max?

And IF it'd need to be a sign 'n' trade, What would be your team's hypothetical offer?
( please keep offers realistic and not satirical).
:D
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,113

Re: What NBA teams would offer Ayton a max of he's not extended? 

Post#2 » by Dr Aki » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:02 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:If Saver screws things up again...

I prefer to think this wasn't a typo and instead a Freudian slip
DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,142

Post#3 » by DroseReturnChi » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:18 am

plenty of teams with no starting center. hornets, raptors, wolves etc.
he will be 100% gone if no max. bridges not probable but better watch out too 3 and D like him is rare.
looks like suns is another typical franchise lost a potential ring bc of cheap owner. bulls, okc all were stripped of 1 rings too.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#4 » by Ghost of Kleine » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:32 am

Dr Aki wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:If Saver screws things up again...

I prefer to think this wasn't a typo and instead a Freudian slip

Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#5 » by Ghost of Kleine » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:05 am

DroseReturnChi wrote:plenty of teams with no starting center. hornets, raptors, wolves etc.
he will be 100% gone if no max. bridges not probable but better watch out too 3 and D like him is rare.
looks like suns is another typical franchise lost a potential ring bc of cheap owner. bulls, okc all were stripped of 1 rings too.

I absolutely agree with you that it seems that Saver hasn't apparently learned anything from the Joe Johnson debacle! It sucks to have such a terrible owner. But I honestly agree with your post in its entirety of course. Although I do think that the Wolves won't have an interest as long as KAT is there. But aside from the 4 expected teams for next summer: Memphis, Orlando, San Antonio, Detroit. I could definitely see the interest for the Hornets, Raptors, Bulls, Thunder, Knicks, Kings, Pels, Wizards?? Of course a few of those teams mentioned would need to make a few salary moves to accommodate his anticipated max salary. But I believe there'll be no shortage of teams willing to make moves to acquire him.

If I had to guess though as yo the top 5 teams most likely to pursue him with an offer/ sign 'n' trade in restricted free agency, I'd look to:

1- Hornets.
2- OKC.
3- San Antonio.
4- Orlando.
5- New York.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,041

Post#6 » by Mavrelous » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:27 am

Spurs, OKC and Hornets.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Post#7 » by The_Hater » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:57 pm

Other teams would,have to offer the max, or Ayton wouldn’t sign the offer sheet.

I still don’t think he’s a max player, but sometimes reality trumps all else.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 118,609

Post#8 » by 3toheadmelo » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:08 pm

my Knicks will gladly take him
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,854

Post#9 » by MotownMadness » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:09 pm

Pistons will have alot of cap space
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,346

Post#10 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:11 pm

Not sure any other team is willing to max him. And while he's definitely not worth a max contract in a vacuum, the whole idea of the Paul contract structure certainly appeared to be to give them 2 more years of Paul, one year of tax next year when Ayton/Bridges get big raises and then Paul is gone(unless he is still playing at a similar level in which case you pay tax a 2nd year).

Suns should give him the 4 year max with no escalators and no player option, trade kicker, any of the perks. They overpay but make their guy feel loved and they don't risk him signing an offer sheet because those are generally very team unfriendly as a way of discouraging matching.

And if they are convinced he's simply not worth anything close to the max, they should trade him right now for a win now center and some future value.

But seriously just pay the guy. This is the cost of being a relevant team. These are good problems.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
ciueli
Analyst
And1: 2,254

Post#11 » by ciueli » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:13 pm

De'Andre Ayton is basically the same type of player as Jarrett Allen, and Allen just signed a below max contract with the Cavs (flat $20M per year) that some might still consider an overpay.

Another comparison is Jonas Valanciunas, he's putting up as good or better numbers than Ayton and only making $15M per year. Hard to justify a max for a center like Ayton when there are similar players making so much less.
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,844

Post#12 » by meekrab » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:16 pm

Probably nobody, because free cap space is practically non-existent around the league and renouncing a bunch of your own free agents just to sign a Deandre Ayton to a max offer sheet is a huge risk that most GMs wouldn't take.
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,247

Post#13 » by Harry Garris » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:25 pm

I would think that no team that's trying to compete for a title would want to max Ayton but I suppose some franchise with good players that are still on their rookie deals and desperate to win like the Hornets might.
Ambrose
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,227

Post#14 » by Ambrose » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:27 pm

I imagine every team would give him a max if they had the cap/need. However, when you factor in who teams already have, and who actually has cap the next Summer that shrinks the number down tremendously.
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM
And1: 7,678

Post#15 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:29 pm

Honestly, who knows. I know the C is the least appreciated position nowadays, but I have to think somebody would. GM's just can't help themselves and he looked good. It's just an early max too, so he probably would get if from somebody willing to gamble.
HoopsterJones
RealGM
And1: 13,302

Post#16 » by HoopsterJones » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:30 pm

I would expect any max offer sheet to be matched by the Suns. It would be a lot less money than the max the Suns could offer Ayton.
2023-2024 Bulls Prediction:

Regular Season: 40-42
0 All Stars:
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Post#17 » by mg » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:30 pm

Spurs and Pistons will have max cap space next summer. They both need a franchise center too. Memphis will also have max space if they don't resign JJJ. OKC usually has capspace but I haven't checked on their cap status for next year.
_qubik
Starter
And1: 1,336

Post#18 » by _qubik » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:45 pm

Ayton is no max player, the team that max him out will have a overpaid player.

Trading for max players is always hard, but in my opinion, the team that comes to mind the most is the Celtics, he would be a nice addition to Brown and Tatum, they can send back Timelord and matching salaries, though I dont think its close to the needed return for a "promising" young guy.

Though situation, good player, that will have a lot of suitors, but isnt worth the max
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,191

Post#19 » by King4Day » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:58 pm

Porter and SGA aren't max players either but they got it. DA was a huge part of the Suns Finals run last season. Weather people think he's worth it or not, he's going to get it.

I'll be concerned if a week from now, we're talking no extension deal was reached. Not because I don't think they'll keep him, but because Sarver will have proven he hasn't changed and that the repercussions will bleed down to Bridges and Booker.
Suns will have a 2 year window before Sarver says, 'Job well done Jones. Now go ahead and blow it up and recoup as much money as you can'...
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,043

Post#20 » by jazzfan1971 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:43 pm

It feels like it has been a while since a Max guy hit free agency.

I think teams would be offering him a Max deal the moment they were able. Even if he isn't worth all that money he is going to be worth a lot of it with upside.

And that cap space isn't worth much if you don't spend it.

So,yeah. I think he gets a Max deal easy. Pho probably matches as well. And it will be yet another Max guy that didn't move teams.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."

Return to The General Board