ImageImageImageImageImage

I think we got one with Brandon Boston Jr. (rookie development thread)

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,153

I think we got one with Brandon Boston Jr. (rookie development thread) 

Post#1 » by Clemenza » Thu Oct 7, 2021 4:55 am

They say he lives in the gym and you can tell by the way he plays and his feel for the game. Nice defender too. Let's get this kid in the weight room and add him to the second unit Ty.

-on the flipside Keon Johnson needs serious G League time. I have no clue what his game is at the moment. Coffey hasn't been the same at all since he cut his hair(Samson complex) and I actually wish Jay Scrubb had a regular minimum deal and give the two ways to other players. Youngsters/newcomers in the lead is all Boston(the favorite) followed by Hartenstein, Scrubb, and then Giles(maybe).
KL2
Analyst
And1: 1,631

Re: I think we got one with Brandon Boston Jr. 

Post#2 » by KL2 » Thu Oct 7, 2021 3:21 pm

It still amazes me that Boston fell like he did. Yes, he had an underwhelming year at Kentucky but those skills man. I really wish he wasn’t with Klutch though.

I see so many down on Johnson and how we should have drafted this guy or that guy. Not me. I’m excited to see him put it all together.

Agree about Coffey. I can’t believe we wasted a 2-way contract on him. I’d give it to Wright in a heartbeat if I could.
Goner
Pro Prospect
And1: 695

Post#3 » by Goner » Thu Oct 7, 2021 4:52 pm

While the potential for Boston is there, the reasons why he fell are evident. He shot very poorly in college and has done so thus far in the league. In addition to shooting percentage, he takes too long to make a decision and often predetermines his move(s). What makes good scorers in this league (Harden aside) is the ability to make a quick and concise move that puts the defense at some disadvantage. Boston's moves often have five or more parts to them and don't necessarily result in a better shot than him just pulling up with his defender on him. I believe this problem to be a result of Boston not tracking with the defense; he's just doing things that come to mind. That said, the potential is evident.

I'm with you on the Coffey thing, but Wright seems to have the most problems out of the bunch. His reactions are very slow, meaning he has to anticipate more than other players. This results in him biting on fakes more often than other players; something that can't happen when you're supposed to be the defensive anchor. Reaction time can be trained to a degree, but generally, problems like this cannot be overcome.
ejftw
General Manager
And1: 3,667

Post#4 » by ejftw » Sat Oct 9, 2021 7:22 pm

I've watched BJ play since he was a 10th grader, and when I read we snagged him, I think I celebrated more than when we won the lotto for Blake or fired Dunleavy.

Kid is a natural hooper and has the confidence plus work effort to go with it. His game just wasn't suited for the NC2A and especially not with Cal's coaching style. Had he went to a place like UCLA and got the opportunities that Juzang (another kid I've seen since his sophomore days) did, he'd have remained in the lotto picture.

As far as Keon goes, he needs more time. I believe he's going to end up being a great backup SF on a contending side for years to come, don't see him being a starter on a good team.

Preston is Preston, still wish we had snagged Ayo. Wish we also would have kept his rights, even before the injury, and let him run ACCO this year.

Coffey is a player I will accept no slander on.

Wright, I'm not impressed with. Dude just reminds me of Stromile Swift, without being anywhere near as good.

Hope King stays with ACCO as well.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,624

Post#5 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:37 pm

KL2 wrote:It still amazes me that Boston fell like he did. Yes, he had an underwhelming year at Kentucky but those skills man. I really wish he wasn’t with Klutch though.

I see so many down on Johnson and how we should have drafted this guy or that guy. Not me. I’m excited to see him put it all together.

Agree about Coffey. I can’t believe we wasted a 2-way contract on him. I’d give it to Wright in a heartbeat if I could.

The only regret I would have about Johnson is passing on Hyland, who many Clipper fans wanted, but this is of course after the fact.

Coffey is an interesting situation, his upside is low OTOH he has always been a pretty solid role player. Like you can put him out for a few minutes at a time in a real regular season game and he will do his job and not make a mess out there. You can't say the same about most of these young dudes (Scrubb, Boston, etc.) who have flashier games but are not gonna be rotation guys for awhile.

Like I am big on Boston and agree he has a nice potential skill set and athleticism. But the fundamental aspects of his game aren't there yet, which is why his efficiency was so bad at Duke (like really really bad LOL), he wasn't ready to be a starter at all. Had he played 2-3 years of college ball though, I think he'd probably have rounded out his game and ended up a lottery pick. Instead, we have him at a very team favorable contract/situation for the next few years.
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#6 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:45 pm

Goner wrote:While the potential for Boston is there, the reasons why he fell are evident. He shot very poorly in college and has done so thus far in the league. In addition to shooting percentage, he takes too long to make a decision and often predetermines his move(s). What makes good scorers in this league (Harden aside) is the ability to make a quick and concise move that puts the defense at some disadvantage. Boston's moves often have five or more parts to them and don't necessarily result in a better shot than him just pulling up with his defender on him. I believe this problem to be a result of Boston not tracking with the defense; he's just doing things that come to mind. That said, the potential is evident.

This is a really good description of his current game IMO. On a high level playground game he'd probably look like some sort of Michael Jordan/Brandon Ingram hybrid. But in the NBA you gotta be able to grind out 82 games with efficiency, and that's a totally different thing than situationally being able to shake your man and make a nice floater or whatever. The same thing goes with Scrubb, who seems iffy to me at this point despite being more polished than Boston.

Boston is super young and raw, and seems to have a great attitude and desire to be great, and I think we will put him on the best possible path to success.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by Clemenza » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:46 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:
Goner wrote:While the potential for Boston is there, the reasons why he fell are evident. He shot very poorly in college and has done so thus far in the league. In addition to shooting percentage, he takes too long to make a decision and often predetermines his move(s). What makes good scorers in this league (Harden aside) is the ability to make a quick and concise move that puts the defense at some disadvantage. Boston's moves often have five or more parts to them and don't necessarily result in a better shot than him just pulling up with his defender on him. I believe this problem to be a result of Boston not tracking with the defense; he's just doing things that come to mind. That said, the potential is evident.

This is a really good description of his current game IMO. On a high level playground game he'd probably look like some sort of Michael Jordan/Brandon Ingram hybrid. But in the NBA you gotta be able to grind out 82 games with efficiency, and that's a totally different thing than situationally being able to shake your man and make a nice floater or whatever. The same thing goes with Scrubb, who seems iffy to me at this point despite being more polished than Boston.

Boston is super young and raw, and seems to have a great attitude and desire to be great, and I think we will put him on the best possible path to success.

That applies to pretty much every player in the league and this thread is mainly about potential and pretty much how a player has to start from somewhere. Him performing the smaller things and being consistent night in and night out is an ongoing process and has yet to be determined yet.
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#8 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:49 pm

Clemenza wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:

That applies to pretty much every player in the league and this thread is mainly about potential and pretty much how a player has to start from somewhere. Him performing the smaller things and being consistent night in and night out is an ongoing process and has yet to be determined yet.

I was just contrasting him with a guy like Coffey, who has been pretty playable in short stints but rarely ever looks spectacular and has little upside.

Boston appears to have substantial upside (my main point), and I am hoping with good coaching he can actually be playable in NBA regular season games (relatively) sooner than later.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by Clemenza » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:22 pm

Put the kid in the rotation Lue.. STOP PLAYING!! What's the worry about when the seasoned vets have 20+ turnovers a game and can't shoot.

Read on Twitter
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,805

Post#10 » by esqtvd » Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:03 am

Clemenza wrote:Put the kid in the rotation Lue.. STOP PLAYING!! What's the worry about when the seasoned vets have 20+ turnovers a game and can't shoot.

Read on Twitter

I do have a saying about this, and politics in general :lol:

Anyone who thinks things can't get any worse has no imagination.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#11 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:13 pm

My yardstick for him maintaining a regular ~10 MPG rotation role-
1. Shoot at least 38% FG, 32% 3PT
2. Don't turn it over too much
3. Play reasonable man/help defense
4. Don't make too many blunders at either end (which is what makes #1-#3 possible.)
5. Play with energy (pretty sure he'd do that.)

I think he might need some more Agua Caliente time still. But if he can maintain those bullet points with the big team, then you play him over Coffey and Winslow because he's a genuine prospect. If he can reasonably minimize the downside, I say give him an opportunity to show his upside- which I do believe he has. I think the body and general ability are there, and NBA minutes would accelerate his learning curve. A cellar-dweller team might throw him into the fire and give him 20 MPG this season, but he'd likely have a season like he did last year at Duke.

I think he's already more likely than Amir Coffey to flash a 25 point game with us, but also more likely to lay some turkeys (part of the process.)

It's crazy to think he might be more ready than our #1 draft pick.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#12 » by esqtvd » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:49 pm

Read on Twitter
Clemenza
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by Clemenza » Wed Dec 1, 2021 9:42 pm

The Jay Scrubb game today..
Read on Twitter
Kelphus
Senior
And1: 524

Post#14 » by Kelphus » Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:03 am

After last night, had to bump this thread.

It was a joy to watch his performance.

Sure, a few bonehead moves but this kid’s ceiling is very high.
The Clipper fan understands the Book of Exodus better than anyone... what it's like to struggle 40 years in the wilderness... and Genesis.. why Cain went after Abel... So fLakers, look out... we're coming.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#15 » by esqtvd » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:46 am

Kelphus wrote:After last night, had to bump this thread.

It was a joy to watch [BB's] performance.

Sure, a few bonehead moves but this kid’s ceiling is very high.

Clemenza wrote:The Jay Scrubb game today..
Read on Twitter

They're getting fearless. I don't know how it's going to play out come the playoffs, but right now anybody under 25 is BLOWING PAST anybody over 30.

Frankly, I think Steph Curry is the Tom Brady of the NBA right now and for the foreseeable future. I think a Kawhi Leonard-led team could knock him off but that's about it. Steph has Klay returning, Draymond still there and Wiggins playing like a first-rounder.

Wouldn't give you 2 cents for any of the dinosaurs in the East. Greek Freak and his Bucks are still in their prime. Chris Paul's young Suns have a shot to knock off GSW, the Clips or anybody in the west if injuries go the wrong way. [Like last year.]

Yeah, the Clips need some young and fearless bodies to throw at the league who can put up some numbers. This is no longer a game of skill or even muscle--it's a game of attrition.
clipsfever
Junior
And1: 150

Post#16 » by clipsfever » Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:09 pm

Is his best playing partner PG13 at some point? Can't double them both defensively

Is there a way to keep Boston in the rotation, eliminate/fade out Bledsoe, AND not have the ball-handling go to hell?

Starters:
PG13
Mann/Kennard
Boston
Morris/Batum/Ibaka
Zu

Reserves:
Reggie
Mann/Kennard
Batum/Morris
Morris/Batum/Ibaka
Big Hart
50CalClips
Rookie
And1: 323

Post#17 » by 50CalClips » Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:17 pm

Hope his trade value goes up quickly.
Goner
Pro Prospect
And1: 695

Post#18 » by Goner » Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:23 pm

50CalClips wrote:Hope his trade value goes up quickly.

Why? His development is so much more important, long term. I get it, we are all in trying to win a championship right now, but we also have a several billion-dollar arena being built that will be ready in a few years. It would be kind of silly to move into the new arena with aging stars and little else to hold fans' interest for the long term.
50CalClips
Rookie
And1: 323

Post#19 » by 50CalClips » Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:28 pm

@ Goner

Whatever it takes to land Damian Lillard to complete a Championship trio.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by Clemenza » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:57 pm

50CalClips wrote:@ Goner

Whatever it takes to land Damian Lillard to complete a Championship trio.

Put the pipe down asap! We're on the cusp of having a 20 year old baby KD and you want to trade him for Dame who hasn't been the same player since the new rules came into play, often injured, and doesn't play defense? :nonono:

Kawhi, PG, and Boston will become our Big 3 by seasons end

Return to Los Angeles Clippers