Are the Warriors contenders?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Are the Warriors contenders?

Yes
51%
No
49%

Total votes: 369

art_tatum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,075

Re: Are the Warriors contenders? 

Post#121 » by art_tatum » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:35 am

I will say if they are healthy and reach 100% their potential, they can win the title and knock anyone out of a series. If that team catch fire from 3, i wouldnt want go face them if i was in the western playoffs. There are "better" teams that are less dangerous if you know what i mean.
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,261

Post#122 » by DCasey91 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:49 am

WarriorGM wrote:I've said before that if you give Steph an average team he'll make them a contender. Looks like the rest of the roster meets that qualification. They are contenders.

So which average team Steph made into a contender?

That’s right none he’s never done that.

2015’s squad destroys this one that was not average at all. Exp and deep for days.

Take off the lipstick and let the man breath lol.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,138

Post#123 » by Impuniti » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:24 pm

tamaraw08 wrote:No they are not contenders... YET. Everything needs to be right, Klay comeback healthy, Steph healthy, Porter finds his shot AND trade Wiseman, Poole, fillers and picks to acquire a quality defensive big like Myles Turner or Sabonis.

Thankfully you are not the GM. :lol:
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,667

Post#124 » by WarriorGM » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:23 pm

DCasey91 wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:I've said before that if you give Steph an average team he'll make them a contender. Looks like the rest of the roster meets that qualification. They are contenders.

2015’s squad destroys this one that was not average at all. Exp and deep for days.

A narrative has been created that Steph has always been on stacked teams when he has won.

I don't see it. I'm mystified how anyone could think it. It flies in the face of all the evidence. The claim is a concoction created to downplay how absolutely incredible Curry has been. Three consecutive 67-win seasons. No other team in history has done that. Not any version of the Lakers. Not any version of the Celtics. Not any version of the Bulls. Yet does anyone think Draymond or Klay are going to appear in the top 75 list they are going to unveil?

In betting markets the 2015 team had longer odds to win a title (+2800) than this 2022 team (+900). Indeed the 2015 team had possibly the longest odds to win at the beginning of the season of any championship team of at least the past 30 years. Curry not only did not play on a stacked team, he led one of the least favored championship teams ever. The story as we see for the umpteenth time is the opposite of the reality. Up is down. Black is white.

I would have thought it would be obvious to anyone the idea Curry has needed stacked teams to win is an absolutely baseless assertion—more likely those making this claim are likely projecting disappointment with their own favorite players—but it seems the Warriors will just have to prove it once again.
DCasey91
General Manager

Post#125 » by DCasey91 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:21 pm

Didn’t say 2015 was a stacked team, it was a very good team that was deep, filled with vets and experience, 2021 does not have that.

They did win via injuries to other teams multiple times lol.
poultryfan
Senior
And1: 875

Post#126 » by poultryfan » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:36 pm

Dark horse contenders like Boston.
Joerezz7
Sixth Man
And1: 1,503

Post#127 » by Joerezz7 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:07 pm

DCasey91 wrote:2015:
Curry
Green
Thompson
Barnes
Iguodala
Bogut
Lee
Barbosa
Speights
Livingston

That team kills this one. List is deep with experience and has the top end.

Warriors don’t have the depth or the top end this year they are not contenders.

Since when does teenage rookies (Moody, Kuminga, Wiseman has a long way way to go to be even good) have any impact in the playoffs. They don’t

Damn that’s a hell of a squad. Team was stacked from top to bottom. Good lord.
GeorgeMarcus wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:

There is nothing inherently different about winning in the Finals compared to winning other playoff seriess,
DCasey91
General Manager

Post#128 » by DCasey91 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:16 pm

Joerezz7 wrote:
Curry
Green
Thompson
Barnes
Iguodala
Bogut
Lee
Barbosa
Speights
Livingston

Since when does teenage rookies (Moody, Kuminga, Wiseman has a long way way to go to be even good) have any impact in the playoffs. They don’t

Haha even though obviously the 2017-2019 team was broken.

The 2014-2016 squad was so much fun. The OG Hampton five, the Bogut/Curry connect was a thing off beauty. Had a stud bench to boot.

2021 has three youngsters that need a few years.

I think the league would be better off if the OKC squad was the same and so was the GSW better parity in the end and a serious three way juggernaut with the Cavs for years on end.
WarriorGM
General Manager

Post#129 » by WarriorGM » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:40 pm

DCasey91 wrote:Didn’t say 2015 was a stacked team, it was a very good team that was deep, filled with vets and experience, 2021 does not have that.

So much experience that none of them had played in an NBA finals before. Only two had ever been two-time all-stars one of whom was Curry. The other was only a two-time all-star because the voters didn't properly ascribe the team's success for one of those years to Curry; he didn't play most of the playoffs either!

DCasey91 wrote:They did win via injuries to other teams multiple times lol.

They didn't play with their highest paid player multiple times. lol.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,177

Post#130 » by xdrta+ » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:08 pm

Joerezz7 wrote:
Curry
Green
Thompson
Barnes
Iguodala
Bogut
Lee
Barbosa
Speights
Livingston

Good thing they don't have to play that 2015 team, just the chump teams that are in the West these days.
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,711

Post#131 » by DonaldSanders » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:27 pm

DCasey91 wrote:

Ya no 1 person makes an average team a legit contender. Closest was LeBron's Cavs that made the finals, but they were kind of a paper tiger as they had basically 0 shot at ever beating the Spurs.

Keep in mind most people on the Warriors board find disagreement with the "WarriorsGM poster", so don't take him too seriously :)

I do think the Warriors have the potential to be a contender this year, but not just because of Curry.
DCasey91
General Manager

Post#132 » by DCasey91 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:32 pm

DonaldSanders wrote:
DCasey91 wrote:

Ya no 1 person makes an average team a legit contender. Closest was LeBron's Cavs that made the finals, but they were kind of a paper tiger as they had basically 0 shot at ever beating the Spurs.

Keep in mind most people on the Warriors board find disagreement with the "WarriorsGM poster", so don't take him too seriously :)

I do think the Warriors have the potential to be a contender this year, but not just because of Curry.

Haha no sweat. WGM is the Helga Pataki of the Steph Curry fan club. Instead of a big Arnold football shaped head it’s a Steph Pop shrine-filled with candles and mini toy goats all around it.
DaPessimist
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,474

Post#133 » by DaPessimist » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:32 am

Klay is already participating in full speed drills and warmup.
WarriorGM
General Manager

Post#134 » by WarriorGM » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:13 am

DonaldSanders wrote:
DCasey91 wrote:

Well the above should illustrate why there is disagreement. A Warriors board person being more impressed with LeBron making the finals than their own guy finally getting them a championship after a lifetime of waiting. Bizarre. You were also probably more excited about what Wiseman was going to do last year and Kuminga is going to do this year than what Steph is going to do. Totally bizarre.

For anyone who believes Wiseman is the draw, I'm sure your opinions will be of interest. If on the other hand one thinks one Stephen Curry is, my observations are far better.

No one serious about the potential of this team should take the Warriors board too seriously. What's the last take from there I read? The Warriors will be better next year? With Curry, Draymond, and Andre one year older and Porter and Bjelica likely gone? Yeah, they have wonderful takes. But perhaps I'm being too hard on that board. Not everyone there tries to speak for other posters.

DCasey91 wrote:Haha no sweat. WGM is the Helga Pataki of the Steph Curry fan club. Instead of a big Arnold football shaped head it’s a Steph Pop shrine-filled with candles and mini toy goats all around it.

No. I'm just someone willing to look at the evidence and take it to its logical conclusion. Others are scared little kids who cannot contradict the drivel put out by the media.
svart
Analyst
And1: 3,311

Post#135 » by svart » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:08 pm

DaPessimist wrote:Klay is already participating in full speed drills and warmup.

That is not klay, it is his fat clone.
''You don't need to be serious to be focused"
Philosopher and basketball player JaVale McGee
SAKURABA216
Starter
And1: 817

Post#136 » by SAKURABA216 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:21 pm

art_tatum wrote:I will say if they are healthy and reach 100% their potential, they can win the title and knock anyone out of a series. If that team catch fire from 3, i wouldnt want go face them if i was in the western playoffs. There are "better" teams that are less dangerous if you know what i mean.

This is my feeling as well. I think this team has the 3 point shooting, perimeter defense, and bench depth to make a deep playoff run provided everyone stays healthy.

Right now I have them at 5th in the West behind the Lakers, Suns, Jazz, and Nuggets. Of course, when Kawhi comes back they would slide down to 6th. However, in the playoffs if their 3s are falling and they can clamp down on defense I think they have a chance of winning the west. I especially think they would be a matchup nightmare for the Lakers.
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,711

Post#137 » by DonaldSanders » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:22 pm

WarriorGM wrote:
DonaldSanders wrote:
DCasey91 wrote:

Well the above should illustrate why there is disagreement. A Warriors board person being more impressed with LeBron making the finals than their own guy finally getting them a championship after a lifetime of waiting. Bizarre. You were also probably more excited about what Wiseman was going to do last year and Kuminga is going to do this year than what Steph is going to do. Totally bizarre.

For anyone who believes Wiseman is the draw, I'm sure your opinions will be of interest. If on the other hand one thinks one Stephen Curry is, my observations are far better.

No one serious about the potential of this team should take the Warriors board too seriously. What's the last take from there I read? The Warriors will be better next year? With Curry, Draymond, and Andre one year older and Porter and Bjelica likely gone? Yeah, they have wonderful takes. But perhaps I'm being too hard on that board. Not everyone there tries to speak for other posters.

You are a goal post shifting troll. You've posted lies on the Warriors board. You're putting words in my mouth I didn't say here, just like you do in almost every argument.
WarriorGM
General Manager

Post#138 » by WarriorGM » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:51 pm

DonaldSanders wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:
DonaldSanders wrote:

You are a goal post shifting troll. You've posted lies on the Warriors board. You're putting words in my mouth I didn't say here, just like you do in almost every argument.

Goal post shifting troll? I'm one of the most consistent people here. When people refer to me they may not agree with me but they generally know where I stand.

Am I putting words in your mouth? Now that I consider it, I guess it is a possibility. Your opinions have been so vanilla I haven't bothered to remember what they are.
DCasey91
General Manager

Post#139 » by DCasey91 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:59 pm

DonaldSanders wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:
DonaldSanders wrote:

I assume he’s the overlord, the man in the glass house and the being of all things lol.

Something about arguing with a fool that brings you down to their level and beats you with mad exp or something like that.

He’s not worth it, his remarks are humorless, at least if your gonna troll, troll with the funny.
WarriorGM
General Manager

Post#140 » by WarriorGM » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:29 pm

DCasey91 wrote:
DonaldSanders wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:

I assume he’s the overlord, the man in the glass house and the being of all things lol.

Something about arguing with a fool that brings you down to their level and beats you with mad exp or something like that.

He’s not worth it, his remarks are humorless, at least if your gonna troll, troll with the funny.

Oh I see you removed the comment about receiving messages from other parties. The reason for that is probably they cannot meet me out in the open.

You have it backwards. If I was a fool they wouldn't be so reluctant to engage. It is precisely because they are getting the idea I'm probably smarter than they are that they are treading more warily. I assume that's also probably why you don't find it so funny.

Return to The General Board