Why Are So Many of Today's Stars Hard to Like?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Vote for 1 please

1-Relax Boomer, the stars today are more likeable than ever
10%
2-It's the same as it's always been, more or less
21%
3-the super team trend, top players wanting to take "the easy way" and they are entitled
18%
4-they rest too much-playing fewer games and fewer minutes, they're soft
1%
5-So much flopping and hunting for fouls, they're soft
2%
6-Too much politics in the league-just play ball
5%
7-Too much exposure, due to social media and the leagues 24/7/365 approach to drama
29%
8-The style of play is boring now, too much copy cat and jacking 3's is a turnoff
2%
9-Society has changed, and everyone is more annoying now
10%
10-other
2%

Total votes: 167

leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,753

Re: Why Are So Many of Today's Stars Hard to Like? 

Post#21 » by leolozon » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:53 pm

I voted 2, but 7 is a good answer. Imagine if guys in the past had the same exposure as now and we learned everything like the drug problems, or the sex scandals like Malone.. Even Jordan would be more disliked now with all his flaws exposed (bully, gambler).

I think the other factor is the way memory function. We tend to forget the bad and romanticize the past. There was plenty of unlikable guys before too.

Imagine that type of cheap behaviour today.

fast+forward
Junior
And1: 298

Post#22 » by fast+forward » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:09 pm

They're just supposed to be good at basketball. Being well like seems like extra credit. Ain't nobody got time for that.
draftnightsuit
Analyst
And1: 6,576

Post#23 » by draftnightsuit » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:16 pm

Today’s stars are not hard to like. You’re thinking of 2000s/early 2010s stars.
Senior
And1: 404

Post#24 » by 1999 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:18 pm

DCasey91 wrote:Giannis
Jokic
Embiid
PG
Curry
Dame
Ball

These guys are pretty easy to root for.

I do think some blame/responsibility should go to KD/LBJ as the top two (Kawhi can be added in). The hate came with good reason. It’s not like other sports fwiw less moving around doing whatever you like sort of deal.

How exactly is Curry easy to root for? The guy runs around like a clown showboating and dancing all game after made threes. Flails at the three point line with minimal contact. And doesn’t get the criticism his peers get for not winning. For example, so many people were in favor of Curry getting mvp last year when he couldn’t do what Westbrook did just a few years earlier. End rant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bornstellar
Head Coach
And1: 17,291

Post#25 » by Bornstellar » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:18 pm

I think part of it is we have too much exposure. It's harder to identify with a guy you see on IG with his model girlfriend and Lambo parked in the driveway of his mansion. Not necessarily what I believe or may not be the main reason but I think it's a factor
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,312

Post#26 » by DCasey91 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:22 pm

1999 wrote:
Jokic
Embiid
PG
Curry
Dame
Ball

I do think some blame/responsibility should go to KD/LBJ as the top two (Kawhi can be added in). The hate came with good reason. It’s not like other sports fwiw less moving around doing whatever you like sort of deal.

How exactly is Curry easy to root for? The guy runs around like a clown showboating and dancing all game after made threes. Flails at the three point line with minimal contact. And doesn’t get the criticism his peers get for not winning. For example, so many people were in favor of Curry getting mvp last year when he couldn’t do what Westbrook did just a few years earlier. End rant.

Hey I’m not Curry’s biggest fan but when he is on he’s basically aimbot in actual real life. It’s not like he’s the only flopper lol.

He’s got a long way to go to even get into the GOAT tier flopping territory which is two players playing today that is downright the greatest ever at it.... that’s Smart and Lowry easily. They are on a different level. It’s artistry the way they do it
Johnny Fontane
Head Coach
And1: 11,750

Post#27 » by Johnny Fontane » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:23 pm

Age of social media/players just generally lack personalities that made them likable in years past
payton2kemp
Starter
And1: 4,245

Post#28 » by payton2kemp » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:25 pm

Nothing has changed except the entire world can easily interact and comment on every single thing the do. Which isn't good for anybody. Add to that woke culture and everyone trying to cancel everyone else, the world is soft place now.

The old way to complain was to call into sports talk radio which is so archaic in this day and age.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,066

Post#29 » by Lalouie » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:27 pm

because they're making so much money they feel entitled
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,832

Post#30 » by nikster » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:28 pm

1999 wrote:
Jokic
Embiid
PG
Curry
Dame
Ball

Considering the only current player with more post season success is Lebron I'd say thats reasonable
DarthTeufel
Junior
And1: 641

Post#31 » by DarthTeufel » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:28 pm

The increased money and worship/"follower counts" via social media making them think they are gods relative to the public just for playing basketball. they're bigger celebrities than ever. fans are mere peasents. in fact i'd say most of them deepdown hate the fans. The commradery is with their fellow elite aka players in the league. "buddy buddy"/no rivalries.

and too many of them get political these days thinking they are intellectuals, freedom fighters when in reality most are just mouthpieces with approved opinions set forth by the establishment.
DFan
Rookie
And1: 740

Post#32 » by DFan » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:30 pm

#7 most definately
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,066

Post#33 » by Lalouie » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:30 pm

Jokic
Embiid
PG
Curry
Dame
Ball

you forgot jrue and you just reeled off 1/60 of the league and 1/8 of the stars
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#34 » by FNQ » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:36 pm

bisme37 wrote:I feel the opposite. There are ton of very likable stars. Especially in the new generation of younger guys. League is in great hands.

Yup.

The entire problem is social media. It exposed that we weren't progressing as a society as fast as we thought we were. It's a good and bad thing at the same time.. it shows how much work needs to be done, but damn if it isnt just a swift kick in the balls, bringing us all back down to earth in terms of where we are as a society.

Players are no different. We have near unlimited access to them, which means that unlike in decades past where teams could really hide their problem players, there's no escaping that now. I started in the med field back in 2000, and man.. there are so, so many awful stories, even from just 20 years ago, that never made it to light and likely never will. Racism is especially a part of that. And not to bring him back into the fold, but certain recently unemployed coaches have a longer history than most will know of.
Free Rider
Veteran
And1: 1,567

Post#35 » by Free Rider » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:59 pm

It's a mixture of a lot of those factors but the biggest reason is the constant, unrelenting, unavoidable exposure of these stars. We know so much more about what's going one with these guys than we've ever known and a lot if it is unflattering but it's probably not much different than what the stars is the past were doing. Today's stars operate at a huge disadvantage because there's very little they can hide from the public.

There's a lot of nostalgia about how likeable NBA players used to be but the reality is they were just able to cover things up far more. Just think of all the thinks we've learned about players like Karl Malone, Charles Barkley, Isiah Thomas, Jason Kidd, etc. in the intervening years before social media blew up. Those guys would have been crucified in today's media environment.
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,536

Post#36 » by Harry Garris » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:06 pm

I find today's stars very easy to like. The main turnoff is the constant pushing of drama but that's more social medias fault than it is the stars themselves. they're not asking to be talked about 24/7.
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,690

Post#37 » by WarriorGM » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:09 pm

Familiarity breeds contempt.
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,312

Post#38 » by DCasey91 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:10 pm

Lalouie wrote:
Jokic
Embiid
PG
Curry
Dame
Ball

you forgot jrue and you just reeled off 1/60 of the league and 1/8 of the stars

Examples not a list lol.
danvato
Rookie
And1: 1,043

Post#39 » by danvato » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:11 pm

player empowerment era.
mixerball
Veteran
And1: 2,276

Post#40 » by mixerball » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:22 pm

what is really hard to like?... that there is only one option in this poll.

Return to The General Board