Does it bother you that NBA Champions is referred as 'World Champions"?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Else_where
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,510

Does it bother you that NBA Champions is referred as 'World Champions"? 

Post#1 » by Else_where » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:14 am

and to make a broader point, likewise MLB, NHL and NFL champions are usually called World Champions for the reason that they are clearly stringest leagues for those specific sports and have the best athletes in those leagues than any other domestic league of that sport.

But, it's ignorant and arrogant imo calling world champions simply because it's a domestic competition (In some cases, USA+Canada) so no other country is taking part. So, calling it World Champions when there are dozens of leagues of thosr sports out there not even taking part is simply delusional.

I don't even care if there were only 2 countries in the world. New Zealand and let's say rest of the world was called "USA", it would still be narrow minded to call World Champions unless they face a champion team from New Zealand every season.
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,246

Re: Does it bother you that NBA Champions is referred as 'World Champions"? 

Post#2 » by Harry Garris » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:04 pm

It doesn't bother me but it's unnecessary in American football because it has next to no global presence. But in the NBA and MLB it's more accurate to say they are world champions because they are global sports, it's just that all the best international players from around the world play in a league that is centralized to North America.
Else_where
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,510

Post#3 » by Else_where » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:12 pm

Harry Garris wrote:It doesn't bother me but it's unnecessary in American football because it has next to no global presence. But in the NBA and MLB it's more accurate to say they are world champions because they are global sports, it's just that all the best international players from around the world play in a league that is centralized to North America.

I get what you are saying but i wouldn't call baseball a global sports yet, they are far from it imo. I can't even name 1 European country that has baseball even as a Top 10 sport.
SlimD235
Assistant Coach
And1: 483

Post#4 » by SlimD235 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:12 pm

No.
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,246

Post#5 » by Harry Garris » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:16 pm

Else_where wrote:
Harry Garris wrote:It doesn't bother me but it's unnecessary in American football because it has next to no global presence. But in the NBA and MLB it's more accurate to say they are world champions because they are global sports, it's just that all the best international players from around the world play in a league that is centralized to North America.

I get what you are saying but i wouldn't call baseball a global sports yet, they are far from it imo. I can't even name 1 European country that has baseball even as a Top 10 sport.

Baseball isn't very popular in Europe or Africa but it's played pretty much everywhere else in the world. It's very popular in east Asia and central and south America. If you want to say a global sport has to be popular everywhere in the world... then there's only one truly global sport.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,214

Post#6 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:20 pm

Else_where wrote:and to make a broader point, likewise MLB, NHL and NFL champions are usually called World Champions for the reason that they are clearly stringest leagues for those specific sports and have the best athletes in those leagues than any other domestic league of that sport.

But, it's ignorant and arrogant imo calling world champions simply because it's a domestic competition (In some cases, USA+Canada) so no other country is taking part. So, calling it World Champions when there are dozens of leagues of thosr sports out there not even taking part is simply delusional.

I don't even care if there were only 2 countries in the world. New Zealand and let's say rest of the world was called "USA", it would still be narrow minded to call World Champions unless they face a champion team from New Zealand every season.

What does the country have to do with any of this? The NBA is an international league that just so happens to be played in two countries. Location of where teams play has nothing to do with anything. The league is made up of the best players from around the world.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#7 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:21 pm

Else_where wrote:

Weight lifting isn't a top 10 sport anywhere, but it's a global sport...
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#8 » by Winsome Gerbil » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:25 pm

As I said in the last thread about this: no. It's true.

It's also true in baseball and American Football. There are no teams or countries even close, and the world's best players all play in this one league. It's not a closed domestic league, it's a world league. It's MVP last year was a Serbian. The title was won by a Greek of Nigerian descent.

Now if the "World Champion" was claimed in soccer that would be a problem.
brettski
Analyst
And1: 1,730

Post#9 » by brettski » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:27 pm

Yep. I can't think of any other national league in another country that dubs their finals winner world champions. Only in America.
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:Mark my words....Gooden will be this year's teams MVP. Watch and see.....

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1139340&start=15&p=29252753&view=show#p29252753
AussieCeltic
RealGM
And1: 20,511

Post#10 » by AussieCeltic » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:28 pm

Yes.

As an Australian. We have AFL which is only played in Australia and we only call them Australian champions. Same as sports which we know we have the best league such as Rugby League.

It’s very arrogant to name the NBA champion a world champ. You need to play the best of the rest to have the “world champion” title even though you more likely are on paper.
eyeatoma wrote:IMO the bigger issue is that Denver and the Jazz are allowed to host games at a high altitute, when they have literally had news exposes saying how it's a clear competetive advantage to play there.
Tukkerwolf
Starter
And1: 2,155

Post#11 » by Tukkerwolf » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:29 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
Else_where wrote:and to make a broader point, likewise MLB, NHL and NFL champions are usually called World Champions for the reason that they are clearly stringest leagues for those specific sports and have the best athletes in those leagues than any other domestic league of that sport.

What does the country have to do with any of this? The NBA is an international league that just so happens to be played in two countries. Location of where teams play has nothing to do with anything. The league is made up of the best players from around the world.

Typically that is determined on a court or pitch and not by words.
I understand what you mean, but it is pretty weird to call yourself world champion when you haven't played anyone from another continent.
Pelon chingon
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,138

Post#12 » by Pelon chingon » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:31 pm

It doesnt bother me. It's mostly false same as MLB, NFL. Boxing is one of the few sports where an individual is really a "world champion".
AussieCeltic
RealGM
And1: 20,511

Post#13 » by AussieCeltic » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:33 pm

It doesn’t matter. You might have a weird season where the best club in the world is in Europe. You can only be a champion of what you play. If you don’t play the rest of the world, you can’t be world champ. Otherwise America may aswell claim Olympic and FIBA gold every year without playing, because they have the best talent on paper
eyeatoma wrote:IMO the bigger issue is that Denver and the Jazz are allowed to host games at a high altitute, when they have literally had news exposes saying how it's a clear competetive advantage to play there.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#14 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:34 pm

Tukkerwolf wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

I understand what you mean, but it is pretty weird to call yourself world champion when you haven't played anyone from another continent.

What do you mean? What team is made up from players from only one continent? What team in the nba isn't international?
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,244

Post#15 » by UcanUwill » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:37 pm

I am huge Euro and international basketball fan, so yes, it does bother me. It is just technically incorrect, I mean its a national league, word national is literally a first word in league's name.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#16 » by UcanUwill » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:40 pm

Winsome Gerbil wrote:As I said in the last thread about this: no. It's true.

It's also true in baseball and American Football. There are no teams or countries even close, and the world's best players all play in this one league. It's not a closed domestic league, it's a world league. It's MVP last year was a Serbian. The title was won by a Greek of Nigerian descent.

So, most of the times in every other league, MVPs and champions are foreigners, doesnt make them world champions of any kind, calling yourself world champion for winning a national league is just technically incorrect, the worst kind of incorrect.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#17 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:40 pm

UcanUwill wrote:I am huge Euro and international basketball fan, so yes, it does bother me. It is just technically incorrect, I mean its a national league, word national is literally a first word in league's name.

Which is also now factually incorrect as it's no longer a national league lol.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#18 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:43 pm

UcanUwill wrote:

So, most of the times in every other league, MVPs and champions are foreigners, doesnt make them world champions of any kind, calling yourself world champion for winning a national league is just technically incorrect, the worst kind of incorrect.

In terms of sports, what does 'nation' even mean here?

If you build a group of teams with the absolute best players from around the world with by far the biggest and best budget...why does location of where the games are played factor into anything?
Tukkerwolf
Starter
And1: 2,155

Post#19 » by Tukkerwolf » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:47 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
Tukkerwolf wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

What do you mean? What team is made up from players from only one continent? What team in the nba isn't international?

Ok, maybe there is a different interpretation of the meaning of World Champion in Northern America and the rest of the world.

Outside of N.A. the amount of international players doesn't determine that title, but actual sport matches between teams competing from the whole world. A team consisting of a 20 Japanese Sumo wrestlers team can become World Champions as long as the competition is open to all teams of the world. The NBA title isn't winnable for Real Madrid, so by non-Northern American definition the NBA title can't be a World Champion title.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#20 » by UcanUwill » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:48 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

In terms of sports, what does 'nation' even mean here?

If you build a group of teams with the absolute best players from around the world with by far the biggest and best budget...why does location of where the games are played factor into anything?

No one is arguing that NBA has strongets teams or that NBA champion isnt a strongest team, but to be world champions, you need to beat opponents and representatives from the entire world, NBA is not world championship, so their champions arent world champions and thats facs.

Return to The General Board