Why Are So Many of Today's Stars Hard to Like?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Vote for 1 please

1-Relax Boomer, the stars today are more likeable than ever
10%
2-It's the same as it's always been, more or less
21%
3-the super team trend, top players wanting to take "the easy way" and they are entitled
18%
4-they rest too much-playing fewer games and fewer minutes, they're soft
1%
5-So much flopping and hunting for fouls, they're soft
2%
6-Too much politics in the league-just play ball
5%
7-Too much exposure, due to social media and the leagues 24/7/365 approach to drama
29%
8-The style of play is boring now, too much copy cat and jacking 3's is a turnoff
2%
9-Society has changed, and everyone is more annoying now
10%
10-other
2%

Total votes: 167

donnieme
Head Coach
And1: 7,143

Re: Why Are So Many of Today's Stars Hard to Like? 

Post#61 » by donnieme » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:01 pm

I prefer these guys to the attitude era. The older Nba exhibited behaviour casuals considered stereotypes and was why Stern made some unpopular moves to reform the image of the league. They were never more likable even at the time. Then you had the guys who got away with being scumbags because of no social media. For example a guy like Karl Malone doesn't see an all star game if he got a 13 year old pregnant today.
donnieme
Head Coach

Post#62 » by donnieme » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:09 pm

Pennebaker wrote:As if the stars of 20 years ago weren't constantly criticized for being unlikable thugs.

It was even worse in the 1970s and early 80s when cocaine and fist fighting was a major problem.

Basically this. Didn't want to say it point blank.
Sprewell4Three
General Manager
And1: 4,771

Post#63 » by Sprewell4Three » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:22 pm

donnieme wrote:I prefer these guys to the attitude era. The older Nba exhibited behaviour casuals considered stereotypes and was why Stern made some unpopular moves to reform the image of the league. They were never more likable even at the time. Then you had the guys who got away with being scumbags because of no social media. For example a guy like Karl Malone doesn't see an all star game if he got a 13 year old pregnant today.

Not to defend Karl but Some of ya'll are weird, this Karl Malone thing this board is fixated on is getting ridiculous. You guys talk about it more then the media it self. Let it go buddy.
Sache
Senior
And1: 38

Post#64 » by Sache » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:37 pm

dirkforpres wrote:Social media making players accessible 24/7 combined with the league getting woke

Define "woke" MAGA boy.

Let's not derail the discussion.
-Harry
Last edited by Harry Garris on Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Derailing conversation
TheBunk
Senior
And1: 59

Post#65 » by TheBunk » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:39 pm

It's AAU

Guy upthread said it. Kids getting fame too early and having their asses kissed.

Most likeable stars are all foreign guys(Jokic, Embiid, Giannis) have have a work ethic and appear genuine because they had to work to earn playing time/spotlight in their development leagues.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,667

Post#66 » by rzzzzz » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:52 pm

I just go with 24/7 blanket media coverage and tendencies toward “reality” TV tendencies. Less mystery, more hysteria.
khufure
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,461

Post#67 » by khufure » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:53 pm

HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#68 » by HeartBreakKid » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:58 pm

media is different and most people become jaded as they get older (a form of plateauing)
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 21,755

Post#69 » by ItsDanger » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:02 pm

11. None of the above.

Watch other sports and you'll see why many NBA players are ****.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
donnieme
Head Coach

Post#70 » by donnieme » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:10 pm

Sprewell4Three wrote:
donnieme wrote:I prefer these guys to the attitude era. The older Nba exhibited behaviour casuals considered stereotypes and was why Stern made some unpopular moves to reform the image of the league. They were never more likable even at the time. Then you had the guys who got away with being scumbags because of no social media. For example a guy like Karl Malone doesn't see an all star game if he got a 13 year old pregnant today.

Not to defend Karl but Some of ya'll are weird, this Karl Malone thing this board is fixated on is getting ridiculous. You guys talk about it more then the media it self. Let it go buddy.

I've been here almost 10 years and this might even be my first time mentioning it ever, and even that is because it's related to the topic of player's PR image and overexposure.

On a side note and in the future you might want to avoid lashing out at people you think are speaking out against having sex with children. If i didn't know better I'd say you seem to have even taken it personal.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,013

Post#71 » by tbhawksfan1 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:35 pm

Maybe because many of them are selfish, narcissistic, entitled divas that think they're better than everyone else and have no respect or appreciation for "average" people. Other than that I don't understand why they would be hard to like
benhillboy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,635

Post#72 » by benhillboy » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:18 pm

ItsDanger wrote:11. None of the above.

Watch other sports and you'll see why many NBA players are ****.

Truth. I started watching and betting on the NHL last season, my NBA watch time will be little to nothing. This coming from someone who’s team is coming off their best season in history.

Too many players have the fatal personality triumvirate of effeminacy, stupidity, and unabashed corniness. This shines through on the floor, let alone extraneous media sources. It’s impossible to convey genuine sense of humor, humility, and honesty when that’s the case, the best character traits for my money. A freaking cross dresser is headed to the HOF without a doubt. I can’t man.
jokeboy86
General Manager
And1: 5,000

Post#73 » by jokeboy86 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:29 pm

Sprewell4Three wrote:

I think people harp on it because it's bad enough he got a 13 year old pregnant but for years Malone presented himself as this family man and even acknowledged his other out of wedlock children but not his oldest for years. At one point Malone even told him it was too late to form a father-son relationship and he would have to make it on his own after years of no child support.

But I think you're right that now people should let it go because by all accounts Malone not only has a good relationship with not only his oldest but all his children.

Now if people want to slander Kevin Johnson forever till he dies I have no problem. He's a predator.
yellowknifer
Analyst
And1: 2,337

Post#74 » by yellowknifer » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:36 pm

There is a huge level of narcissism in society. It only grows more and more as it is actively encouraged. This is a reflection imo.
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,760

Post#75 » by CobraCommander » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:27 pm

bisme37 wrote:I feel the opposite. There are a ton of very likable stars. Especially in the new generation of younger guys. League is in great hands.

Zion, Luka, Giannis, jokic, Embiid....who do you dislike here? These the top tier of young guys and it’s a fight about WHO is the most likable.

Tatum, Ja, Booker etc all likable-

Old guard? Curry,Westbrook, Kawhi, Klay and Lillard...all likable...who hates curry or Klay? If you hate them you probably worship beelzebub

The league was in pretty good hands with the old guard and the new best players are for the most part even more likable because they pretty much just play ball and keep us kinda outside their personal orbit -

Return to The General Board