Kyrie Irving Megathread: [Latest] NETS Will Not Offer Irving $186M Extension

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Will Kyrie play this season?

Yes
48%
No
52%

Total votes: 240

Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,000

Re: Kyrie Irving Megathread: [Latest] NETS Will Not Offer Irving $186M Extension 

Post#941 » by Pharmcat » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:05 pm

bbalnation wrote:Im vaccinated, and think there are be better ways of protesting. But the reality is, the medical system is part of the overarching system of racism. It hasn't done enough to address the pain, suffering and anger its caused certain communities, especially Black & Indigenous Lives.

Im not going to fault someone for how they react to the pain. Nor am I going to praise them. I think understand where hes coming from though. And damn man, a LOT of unnecessary abuse continuing to come his way.

I totally agree the blacks have been screwed over historically by the medical system. But as I tell my black coworkers, and as I would tell Kyrie to, the best way to avoid that is to stay out of the hospital. that means to live a healthy lifestyle, and when it comes to Covid, take the vaccine.
cornchip
Pro Prospect
And1: 509

Re: Kyrie Irving Megathread: [Latest] NETS Will Not Offer Irving $186M Extension 

Post#942 » by cornchip » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:15 pm

BBallFreak wrote:
RunOKC wrote:I empathize with Kyrie because why aren't (constant) negative Covid tests good enough to play? What is the vaccine going to do besides lesson symptoms if he does contract it?
First, you can test negative and still have COVID. I had it back in November. My fiance got sick, went and got tested, and came back negative. The next day she got sicker, went and got tested again, and tested positive.

Second of all, the vaccine lessens the ability to catch the illness and transmit it. Yes, it also lessens symptoms and thus, long term effects. Jason Tatum caught COVID and was on an inhaler for months afterward. Didn't play up to his standards. If he could have taken the vaccine and not ended up on an inhaler, wouldn't that have been the right thing to do for himself and for his teammates?

I'm not anti-vax by any means but it is a fair question to ask what's the likelihood of someone contracting COVID from one unvaccinated Kyrie Irving, who undergoes regular testing, masking, and distancing procedures, vs. 14 other vaccinated players and 10 vaccinated coaches who have far less strigent measures?

We do know that the vaccine reduces transmission on a fairly significant level but also the vaccinated can certainly contract it and spread it to others.

Essentially is 1 unvaccinated player more dangerous than 25 vaccinated players and coaches?
mulamutti
Pro Prospect
And1: 775

Post#943 » by mulamutti » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:19 pm

cornchip wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:
RunOKC wrote:I empathize with Kyrie because why aren't (constant) negative Covid tests good enough to play? What is the vaccine going to do besides lesson symptoms if he does contract it?
First, you can test negative and still have COVID. I had it back in November. My fiance got sick, went and got tested, and came back negative. The next day she got sicker, went and got tested again, and tested positive.

Second of all, the vaccine lessens the ability to catch the illness and transmit it. Yes, it also lessens symptoms and thus, long term effects. Jason Tatum caught COVID and was on an inhaler for months afterward. Didn't play up to his standards. If he could have taken the vaccine and not ended up on an inhaler, wouldn't that have been the right thing to do for himself and for his teammates?

I'm not anti-vax by any means but it is a fair question to ask what's the likelihood of someone contracting COVID from one unvaccinated Kyrie Irving, who undergoes regular testing, masking, and distancing procedures, vs. 14 other vaccinated players and 10 vaccinated coaches who have far less strigent measures?

We do know that the vaccine reduces transmission on a fairly significant level but also the vaccinated can certainly contract it and spread it to others.

Essentially is 1 unvaccinated player more dangerous than 25 vaccinated players and coaches?

Yes so that's why its not an NBA mandatory vax policy, but the New york state and local policy that the NBA can do nothing about.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,915

Post#944 » by ATLTimekeeper » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:20 pm

He literally just said "thoughts and prayers" to this. The dude's brain is cooked.
matt6715
Veteran
And1: 2,797

Post#945 » by matt6715 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:23 pm

Dino-Might wrote:
iLLmatic860 wrote:
hauntedcomputer wrote:The Ali comparison ends with Ali being against killing people and Kyrie being for killing people.

Lol stuff like this is why people who are unvaccinated are not taking the shots

Because they like killing people?

Most of the rational world: "Please take this vaccine so this 2 year long global pandemic can finally be put behind us and we can go back to regular life"

Kyrie and the other anti-vax 'pro-freedom' morons: "WHY ARE YOU PUSHING THIS AGENDA ON ME"
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,558

Re: Kyrie Irving Megathread: [Shams] Kyrie Will Not Play or Practice Until Fully Vaccinated 

Post#946 » by Jadoogar » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:24 pm

jg77 wrote:
Jadoogar wrote:
jg77 wrote:
So the vax doesn't work then? Thanks.

people wearing seatbelts can still die, get rid of seatbelts. You're infringing on my right to drive in freedom
How can people be this stupid?

This response makes me laugh every time. It's been repeated so many times. And it is not the same thing.

you're right, car accidents aren't contagious
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,520

Post#947 » by LightTheBeam » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:26 pm

infinite11285 wrote:
jg77 wrote:

Nobody said they were forcing people into them:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/20/world/australia/howard-springs-quarantine.html

But you did say the Australian government was building quarantine camps to "combat the virus", which is completely different than constructing a quarantine hub for travelers to be held before being cleared to enter the country. Regardless, let's get back to Kyrie and how his holdout impacts the NBA. My PM is open if either of you want to discuss the Australia claim further.

I agree with discussing Kyrie. But I noticed a bit of misinformation in this post -

"Officials maintain that these camps, which are mostly for travelers but can also be used to isolate the contagious, are necessary because hotel quarantine has repeatedly let Covid leak into the community."

Straight from the article. According to the officials, it is definitely not just going to be used for travelers entering the country.

No reply needed. Onto Kyrie!
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#948 » by Danny1616 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:29 pm

cornchip wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:

This is an unbelievable post.

Imagine we used that logic for any law/restriction/rule regarding public health.

"Well Jim here was drunk and driving at 4:00am and no cars were on the road, so he likely wouldn't have injured himself or anyone, what's the big deal?"

"Well Jim decided to pull out his cigarette in the middle of the restaurant. Nobody else was smoking, so what's the harm?"

We have laws for a reason, dude. If you make exceptions for someone it destroys the purpose of the law.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,520

Post#949 » by LightTheBeam » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:29 pm

Ben-N1ce wrote:Screw taking a shot and getting a massive extention which the money could benefit the voiceless..my words will do more!!!

Lol kyrie

The second he gets the shot his voice in this matter becomes useless.

This is a man who funded a food bank during the pandemic.
Bought a house for George Floyd's family.
Paid WNBA salaries while they were shut down.

Hes earned over 150 million dollars in NBA salary, not to mention shoe deals, endorsements, etc.. If he took the shot and tried to say something about it nobody here would be talking about it, so clearly what hes doing is more effective.
Ambrose
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,227

Post#950 » by Ambrose » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:36 pm

ecogen wrote:
iLLmatic860 wrote:
hauntedcomputer wrote:The Ali comparison ends with Ali being against killing people and Kyrie being for killing people.

Lol stuff like this is why people who are unvaccinated are not taking the shots

So they're reactionary idiots? Bit rude.

The most vaccine-hesitant group in America are Phd's so that's unlikely.

As for Kyrie, I view it kind of like the Ben Simmons thing. He's more stubborn than Simmons but once those paychecks stop rolling in the pressure will mount. I find it extremely hard to believe he's going to give up half his salary, a year of his prime on a contender, and screw up his odds of landing an extension over this.
Danny1616
General Manager

Post#951 » by Danny1616 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:38 pm

Ambrose wrote:
ecogen wrote:
iLLmatic860 wrote:Lol stuff like this is why people who are unvaccinated are not taking the shots

As for Kyrie, I view it kind of like the Ben Simmons thing. He's more stubborn than Simmons but once those paychecks stop rolling in the pressure will mount. I find it extremely hard to believe he's going to give up half his salary, a year of his prime on a contender, and screw up his odds of landing an extension over this.

Can you provide legitimate proof of this.
Childs
RealGM
And1: 25,990

Post#952 » by Childs » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:40 pm

Ambrose wrote:
ecogen wrote:
iLLmatic860 wrote:Lol stuff like this is why people who are unvaccinated are not taking the shots

What’s your legitimate source on this?
Dino-Might
Sixth Man
And1: 2,177

Post#953 » by Dino-Might » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:41 pm

Notice how all people who are against vaccination start by saying they are not "anti-vax"? It is said in the same way that people say "I am not racist but..." before they say something that demonstrates how racist they are.

It's like these people know that being against vaccines is stupid, but want to justify why their stance is different, justified, more reasonable.

If you really have no issues with vaccines in general but are only standing up for the "principle", I think that is an even more terrible and selfish position. Those people who believe there is something wrong with vaccines may be completely misinformed, but at least they are genuine in that belief.

But I have no sympathy for those who say they have no problems with vaccines, but don't want to take it to save lives and allow everyone to live normally again because you don't like being told to do it. What is the principle at stake? You are just being stubborn and contrarian for the sake of your ego.

It's like a little kid: "I was going to eat my clean my room but I'm not going to do it now that you told me I have to!"

Grow up. The solution is right there. But everyone will suffer because you feel the need to be different.
Game, blouses.
HoopsterJones
RealGM
And1: 13,302

Post#954 » by HoopsterJones » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:45 pm

Let’s be honest. He’s doing this for himself. Not for those who lost their jobs due to vaccine mandates.
2023-2024 Bulls Prediction:

Regular Season: 40-42
0 All Stars:
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,345

Re: Kyrie Irving Megathread: [Shams] Kyrie Will Not Play or Practice Until Fully Vaccinated 

Post#955 » by Johnny Bball » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:47 pm

Jadoogar wrote:
jg77 wrote:
Jadoogar wrote:
people wearing seatbelts can still die, get rid of seatbelts. You're infringing on my right to drive in freedom
How can people be this stupid?

This response makes me laugh every time. It's been repeated so many times. And it is not the same thing.

you're right, car accidents aren't contagious

Might want to check the leading cause of death for his age group. 35-54 is... you didn't guess it... covid. Not accidents.

https://www.healthsystemtracker.org/brief/covid19-and-other-leading-causes-of-death-in-the-us/
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,963

Post#956 » by jfs1000d » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:48 pm

Danny1616 wrote:
Ambrose wrote:
ecogen wrote:

PHDs aren’t covid vaccine hesitant. Who came up with that info?

There are three groups who seem to be vaccine hesitant for different reasons .

1. Black people —general and cultural distrust of our healthcare system, especially in the south.

2. Liberal Crunchy people — Those hippie, homeopathic people who don’t like medicine into their body. These were the traditional anti-Vaxxers who didn’t get their kids vaxxed.

3. Trump people — oddly, who you voted for is one of the biggest determiners for your vaccine acceptance. I don’t know why, but it does seem politically motivated to just be anti whatever the current regime is for. This is one of the great things to study for future political and social scientists to get to the root cause of this, because in the surface it is illogical to risk death because of your political branding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Danny1616
General Manager

Post#957 » by Danny1616 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:50 pm

jfs1000d wrote:
Danny1616 wrote:
Ambrose wrote:

PHDs aren’t covid vaccine hesitant. Who came up with that info?

1. Black people —general and cultural distrust of our healthcare system, especially in the south.

2. Liberal Crunchy people — Those hippie, homeopathic people who don’t like medicine into their body. These were the traditional anti-Vaxxers who didn’t get their kids vaxxed.

3. Trump people — oddly, who you voted for is one of the biggest determiners for your vaccine acceptance. I don’t know why, but it does seem politically motivated to just be anti whatever the current regime is for. This is one of the great things to study for future political and social scientists to get to the root cause of this, because in the surface it is illogical to risk death because of your political branding.

The Trump people far out number the hippies, but agreed on the three groups.
playoffs
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,937

Post#958 » by playoffs » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:54 pm

Ambrose wrote:
ecogen wrote:

LOL Why start your post with an easily detectable lie?
Dino-Might
Sixth Man
And1: 2,177

Post#959 » by Dino-Might » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:58 pm

jfs1000d wrote:PHDs aren’t covid vaccine hesitant. Who came up with that info?

For the Trump people, it's not just political branding. The subset of people who were the most attracted to Trump were those that were disillusioned with any traditional authority, hated the "liberal elite", were anti-intellectual/science. They saw Trump as an outsider who cut through all of what they thought as BS.

It is not surprising that this same group would mistrust the scientists and authority figures telling them to take this new vaccine.

If you have seen the SNL Black Jeopardy skit with Tom Hanks, it really is a fascinating and insightful commentary on the similarities between Trump supporters and black people, who have a common distrust in the system but yet hate each other.
Game, blouses.
cornchip
Pro Prospect
And1: 509

Post#960 » by cornchip » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:03 pm

Danny1616 wrote:
cornchip wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:First, you can test negative and still have COVID. I had it back in November. My fiance got sick, went and got tested, and came back negative. The next day she got sicker, went and got tested again, and tested positive.

This is an unbelievable post.

Imagine we used that logic for any law/restriction/rule regarding public health.

"Well Jim here was drunk and driving at 4:00am and no cars were on the road, so he likely wouldn't have injured himself or anyone, what's the big deal?"

"Well Jim decided to pull out his cigarette in the middle of the restaurant. Nobody else was smoking, so what's the harm?"

We have laws for a reason, dude. If you make exceptions for someone it destroys the purpose of the law.

First, it was an honest question.

Secondly, you are completely wrong. We do make reasonable laws based on data. Why do you think we have different laws and penalties based off your Blood Alcohol Content?

Return to The General Board