ImageImageImageImage

The Official Jalen Suggs Thread

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,273

Re: WELCOME TO ORLANDO JALEN SUGGS!!!! 

Post#701 » by JBSouthpaw » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:47 pm

Watching the pre-season game last night, I was watching Nesmith, thinking "that is what type of offensive game I want from Suggs".
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#702 » by basketballRob » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:21 pm

Suggs likely to practice tomorrow.

Read on Twitter
?t=cIuxo1cq-g7rK66W3nbpLg&s=19

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM Forums mobile app
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#703 » by basketballRob » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:59 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=ebZ3R8hI3SBvXHTUVToq6A&s=19

PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,235

Post#704 » by PhilBlackson » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:06 pm

God Squad wrote:This is your board guys. If ignorant Raptors fans (coach D/Jpriest) want to pump their chest over this sh!!t then temp ban them. Seriously it was cringe going thru the last few pages, especially if they're gonna flood the thread with "opinions".

Amen to that.

Just came creeping hoping to see how Suggs is fairing out of pure interest since we were very close to taking him but man do I ever understand why we're THE most hated fanbase on the boards. We just have too many board members and the worst ones/trolls just leak everywhere to spout a bunch of bs rather than discuss this stuff intelligently on our board.

I can not stand when opposing team trolls leak into our forum and quite frankly most of em don't last as long as I gather CoachD etc has been given on this one. Should put the board ban hammer down because clearly there's an agenda, not to mention unnecessary ridicule. Not gonna be a nerd kiss arse apologizing on the trolls behalf but couldn't help but respond just to say empathize with how damn annoying it must be.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#705 » by basketballRob » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:06 pm

PhilBlackson wrote:
God Squad wrote:This is your board guys. If ignorant Raptors fans (coach D/Jpriest) want to pump their chest over this sh!!t then temp ban them. Seriously it was cringe going thru the last few pages, especially if they're gonna flood the thread with "opinions".

Amen to that.

Just came creeping hoping to see how Suggs is fairing out of pure interest since we were very close to taking him but man do I ever understand why we're THE most hated fanbase on the boards. We just have too many board members and the worst ones/trolls just leak everywhere to spout a bunch of bs rather than discuss this stuff intelligently on our board.

I can not stand when opposing team trolls leak into our forum and quite frankly most of em don't last as long as I gather CoachD etc has been given on this one. Should put the board ban hammer down because clearly there's an agenda, not to mention unnecessary ridicule. Not gonna be a nerd kiss arse apologizing on the trolls behalf but couldn't help but respond just to say empathize with how damn annoying it must be.
If Suggs had a great preseason, I'd probably be on the Raptors board popping my collar.

YosemiteSam
Sixth Man
And1: 784

Post#706 » by YosemiteSam » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:24 pm

Read on Twitter
Ralof
Pro Prospect
And1: 508

Post#707 » by Ralof » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:32 am

pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,224

Post#708 » by pepe1991 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:56 pm

First 4 games have been ugly. But in nba , guard position is most stacked position out there. Even guys who fall out of regular rotations on average, let alone above average teams are more than capable players. ( just look at Malik Beasley over last 2 years , from backup to 20 ppg to backup again ) .

Over span of rookie year, Suggs needs to improve his decision making and figure out what he can do in nba. Ballhandling in traffic is clear issue today with him. I don't expect him to have good three ball percentages because we simply don't execute any plays where he would be wide open or have any sustainable offensive play where he could thrive off ( maybe it changes when Fultz comes back, who knows...)

He is probably more raw than anybody expect, but it evens out with Franz looking better than most of us expected.

if he looks like he is looking today -year from now, than we can have some serious conversations. But right now, let him learn through mistakes.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
AaronB
Bench Warmer
And1: 622

Post#709 » by AaronB » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:29 pm

Suggs is the least of our worries.

Suggs has Joe Dumars written all over him and every game he is showing it more and more.

By the end of the year and if he stays healthy, Suggs will be far and away the best player on the magic by a wide margin.

While most of my posts are obviously made in jest as for the most part this will be a season of jest, this one is just simple observation.
89Magicfan
Pro Prospect
And1: 489

Post#710 » by 89Magicfan » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:51 pm

AaronB wrote:Suggs is the least of our worries.

Suggs has Joe Dumars written all over him and every game he is showing it more and more.

By the end of the year and if he stays healthy, Suggs will be far and away the best player on the magic by a wide margin.

While most of my posts are obviously made in jest as for the most part this will be a season of jest, this one is just simple observation.

Joe Dumars?!
AaronB
Bench Warmer

Post#711 » by AaronB » Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:06 pm

89Magicfan wrote:
AaronB wrote:Suggs is the least of our worries.

Joe Dumars?!

Absolutely. Talented and really tough football mentality.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,153

Post#712 » by Knightro » Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:15 pm

89Magicfan wrote:Joe Dumars?!

Dumars was a 6x all-star, 5x all-NBA defensive team and 3x all-NBA team.

If Suggs accomplishes all of that, we will all be doing backflips.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,590

Post#713 » by Skybox » Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:21 pm

pepe1991 wrote:First 4 games have been ugly. But in nba , guard position is most stacked position out there. Even guys who fall out of regular rotations on average, let alone above average teams are more than capable players. ( just look at Malik Beasley over last 2 years , from backup to 20 ppg to backup again ) .

Over span of rookie year, Suggs needs to improve his decision making and figure out what he can do in nba. Ballhandling in traffic is clear issue today with him. I don't expect him to have good three ball percentages because we simply don't execute any plays where he would be wide open or have any sustainable offensive play where he could thrive off ( maybe it changes when Fultz comes back, who knows...)

He is probably more raw than anybody expect, but it evens out with Franz looking better than most of us expected.

if he looks like he is looking today -year from now, than we can have some serious conversations. But right now, let him learn through mistakes.

I really look forward to seeing him playing off of Fultz's penetrate and kick. I really hope Fultz comes back with that Alpha mentality...that he and Suggs are the backcourt of the future (and present). I like Cole - we've been lacking that takeover mentality, but he's not (at least yet) shown that he's a floor leader or that he makes others better...I think Fultz really has that ability with his strength and ability to move in traffic.
AaronB
Bench Warmer

Post#714 » by AaronB » Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:28 pm

Knightro wrote:

It took several years for Joe Dumars to be Joe Dumars.

It will take a few years for Suggs to become Suggs.
89Magicfan
Pro Prospect
And1: 489

Post#715 » by 89Magicfan » Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:10 pm

Knightro wrote:

I’ve just never seen that comparison. Was kinda shock.
I Rasharted
Sixth Man
And1: 837

Post#716 » by I Rasharted » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:47 pm

AaronB wrote:Suggs has Joe Dumars written all over him

basketballRob wrote:Another good benefit about eating plants is that the artery going to your penis gets unclogged and starts flowing real good.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#717 » by MagicFan101 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:42 pm

I do not care about the advanced stat charts floating around which paint Suggs as an early bust. There is not enough data for those features to have merit.

When fall back to simple raw data such as opponent shooting percentage when guarded primarily by Suggs or having Suggs as the nearest defender they are 31.4% from the field and 20.7% from beyond the arc.

Again, very limited sample size but these are the raw results.

Suggs is a tough and physical defender who is already disrupting the flow of offense for opponents. Once his shot starts falling a bit more he will be a full court nightmare.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,404

Post#718 » by ibraheim718 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:20 pm

Good write up on Suggs through his first 4 games. Refreshing to read commentary from someone who can actually see things that don't reflect in box scores and that are vitally important to playing winning basketball.

https://www.nba.com/magic/news/analysis-jalen-suggs-through-his-first-four-nba-games-20211026

With regards to his entry post passing.. the pass he threw to Bamba last game was a thing of beauty. Bamba had his man pinned almost directly under the bucket.. Jalen was maybe a few feet behind the three point line.. he threw a low long bounce pass that allowed Bamba to keep his man pinned and not leave his feet. Most other PG's outside of maybe Chris Paul or Trae Young aren't going to throw a bounce pass there and they will instead throw something up in the air which Bamba would have to give up his leverage to catch.. then it's who knows what and not the easy bucket he got instead.

When I watch PG's play for the first time the thing I look at first is posture when bringing the ball up the floor. When I first watched JS play I noticed his posture immediately.. perfect posture with the ball bent over at 45 degrees with an active free hand to further protect his dribble and ready to PASS the ball at any moment. I look at the players ability to create angles and throw bounce passes which is a lost art form.. we haven't seen a player who was really good at throwing bounce passes since Steve Nash retired.

The next thing I'll look at is he able to defend at the point of attack. Check. That's why this talk of moving him off the ball is insane. He is the prototypical pass first Point guard but with an impressive physical profile, good form and touch on his perimeter shot, an aggressive physical finisher at the bucket (one worry I had was him getting beat up because of how hard he plays on every play but after watching the first few games I think he's also going to hand out a bit of physical punishing when he's in his prime) the toughness of a football player, and the knack to make all the right plays on both sides of the ball in crunch time when the game is on the line.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,141

Post#719 » by zaymon » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:41 pm

ibraheim718 wrote:Good write up on Suggs through his first 4 games. Refreshing to read commentary from someone who can actually see things that don't reflect in box scores and that are vitally important to playing winning basketball.

https://www.nba.com/magic/news/analysis-jalen-suggs-through-his-first-four-nba-games-20211026

With regards to his entry post passing.. the pass he threw to Bamba last game was a thing of beauty. Bamba had his man pinned almost directly under the bucket.. Jalen was maybe a few feet behind the three point line.. he threw a low long bounce pass that allowed Bamba to keep his man pinned and not leave his feet. Most other PG's outside of maybe Chris Paul or Trae Young aren't going to throw a bounce pass there and they will instead throw something up in the air which Bamba would have to give up his leverage to catch.. then it's who knows what and not the easy bucket he got instead.

When I watch PG's play for the first time the thing I look at first is posture when bringing the ball up the floor. When I first watched JS play I noticed his posture immediately.. perfect posture with the ball bent over at 45 degrees with an active free hand to further protect his dribble and ready to PASS the ball at any moment. I look at the players ability to create angles and throw bounce passes which is a lost art form.. we haven't seen a player who was really good at throwing bounce passes since Steve Nash retired.

The next thing I'll look at is he able to defend at the point of attack. Check. That's why this talk of moving him off the ball is insane. He is the prototypical pass first Point guard but with an impressive physical profile, good form and touch on his perimeter shot, an aggressive physical finisher at the bucket (one worry I had was him getting beat up because of how hard he plays on every play but after watching the first few games I think he's also going to hand out a bit of physical punishing when he's in his prime) the toughness of a football player, and the knack to make all the right plays on both sides of the ball in crunch time when the game is on the line.

I hope he will follow Dumars/Billups carrier trajectory, slower start but great finish. I think he will impact winning even if he doesnt become lead ball handler, its better to play through big wings regardless (Okeke and Wagner ?).
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,333

Post#720 » by PrimeThyme » Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:02 pm

I was just coming here to post about how under-disccused I feel Suggs court vision has been so far. Everyone is so focused on the poor shooting, but some of the high level passing he has shown is incredibly encouraging to me.

We knew it was there at the college level, but it's good to see that translate. I can't wait to see where he is at a month from now as he continues to get comfortable with the NBA game.

Return to Orlando Magic