Does it bother you that NBA Champions is referred as 'World Champions"?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

rapskar
Ballboy
And1: 41

Re: Does it bother you that NBA Champions is referred as 'World Champions"? 

Post#61 » by rapskar » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:26 pm

old skool wrote:It doesn't bother me at all.

It doesn't bother me that there is a World Cup in soccer, when there are thousands of soccer teams that are not eligible to compete.

Clearly the NBA Finals winner is the NBA league champion. Does anyone not understand that? No one thinks that teams from the NCAA or FIBA or China or YMCA or G-League or WNBA are eligible.

Quibbling over the semantics is childish. Being bothered by a slogan is childish when everyone understands the connotation behind the slogan.

Literally every country in the world is elegible to play in the soccer world cup, hence the winners are world champions. If you mean soccer clubs then you have the Club World Cup that again, any professional team is elegible to play. Do you see the difference with the NBA?
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,687

Post#62 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:32 pm

ahhh another unsubtle thread bashing America. You guys not tired of this yet?
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
dickfox
Senior
And1: 521

Post#63 » by dickfox » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:33 pm

ACMFFL wrote:
dickfox wrote:It's the best basketball league in the world so it should be "world champions".

By that logic the UEFA Champions League winner should claim the title of world champion just because the UCL is the best football league in the world..

I don't have much opinion when it comes to soccer but I believe wherever the best players play and get paid to play, should be considered the best in the world. Therefore they should be the world champions. It's not so much the geography of the teams but the players themselves and the level at which they play.

There is no better league than the NBA. All the best players in the world, if they can make it, play in the NBA.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 4,997

Post#64 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:36 pm

ACMFFL wrote:
dickfox wrote:It's the best basketball league in the world so it should be "world champions".

By that logic the UEFA Champions League winner should claim the title of world champion just because the UCL is the best football league in the world..
I don't think anyone would care if they were crowned Soccer world champs.
rapskar
Ballboy
And1: 41

Re: Does it bother you that NBA Champions is referred as 'World Champions 

Post#65 » by rapskar » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:43 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
ACMFFL wrote:

I don't think anyone would care if they were crowned Soccer world champs.

A lot of people would, becausee there is an actual world cup and Europeans don't always win, even no one can deny they are way more talented. That's the beauty of sports, being more talented doesn't garantee the victory (which is also why USA hasn't won every single olympic and world championship in the last 30 years, even we all know they are the best by far).
Joshyjess
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,927

Post#66 » by Joshyjess » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:57 pm

Yup, I lose sleep over this every night!!! I keep tossing and turning thinking to myself, why don't they call it the 2/3 of North America Championship!!!!! And as for the Super Bowl - they should call it the Pretty Good Bowl.
I know I would sleep so much better if they would!
TheBobster
Senior
And1: 645

Post#67 » by TheBobster » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:02 pm

No, why should we?

The best basketball in the world is played in the NBA.

The NBA championship team is without a doubt the best team in the world.

Why wouldn't they call themselves world champions?
FlyingArrow
Starter
And1: 1,431

Post#68 » by FlyingArrow » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:02 pm

thebigbird wrote:No. Why would it? The NBA is the best basketball league in the world. The best players in the world play in the NBA. We just won the gold medal despite sending our JV team. It makes sense to call the champion the world champion.

That's not even the point, though. The point is that the best players in the Olympics play in the NBA - regardless of which country they play for in the Olympics.
Dutchball97
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,856

Post#69 » by Dutchball97 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:19 pm

It is a bit silly but I guess it is mainly an American cultural thing. With the Superbowl I think it's logical since there is literally no other league worth a damn for American football but you see it with the World Series in baseball or UFC champs being crowned world champions as well. I kind of forgot about the NBA champs sometimes being referred to as the world champs before I saw this thread so it isn't like it bothers me either.

It'd be fun to have a club world cup in basketball similarly to the one in football though. It'd be nice to see some more games between NBA teams and other leagues to promote the growth of the sport and the popularity of the league itself globally.
Kobeskillz
Sixth Man
And1: 404

Post#70 » by Kobeskillz » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:20 pm

thebigbird wrote:No. Why would it? The NBA is the best basketball league in the world. The best players in the world play in the NBA. We just won the gold medal despite sending our JV team. It makes sense to call the champion the world champion.

Thats how i feel. The best players around the world gather to play in the NBA.
Shane Battier on Kobe: "I always seem to end up on Kobe Island at some point or another, all expense paid."
TheRealKaboom
Sixth Man
And1: 1,716

Post#71 » by TheRealKaboom » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:21 pm

If OP is that bothered by it, then stop following another country's basketball league. Pay attention to your own and you won't be so stressed out about what Americans call their own sports teams.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app
-Luke-
Starter
And1: 4,056

Post#72 » by -Luke- » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:25 pm

What bothers me more is the title "Mister Universe" in Bodybuilding. How do they know there aren't better built, more muscular dudes somewhere out there in the universe?

At least in basketball we pretty much know (or can make an educated guess) that the best NBA team is the best team in the world.
Joshyjess
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,927

Post#73 » by Joshyjess » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:28 pm

-Luke- wrote:What bothers me more is the title "Mister Universe" in Bodybuilding. How do they know there aren't better built, more muscular dudes somewhere out there in the universe?

At least in basketball we pretty much know (or can make an educated guess) that the best NBA team is the best team in the world.

The Far Side once had a comic about an alien showing up at a Miss Universerse pageant asking where she could register. :lol:
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 11,936

Post#74 » by Effigy » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:32 pm

No, because this is where the best talent is. Do you care if the NFL team that wins the superbowl calls itself 'world champions'? Same thing.
gottamakeit
Sixth Man
And1: 1,391

Post#75 » by gottamakeit » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:50 pm

whitehops wrote:i agree they shouldn't be called world champions, but they aren't really that much these days are they? literally all NBA apparel says "2021 NBA Champions" or whatever and i'm pretty sure silver announces them as champions of the nba season or something like that.

some people might say it out of habit but the NBA's stance is definitely that they are league champions.

https://www.nba.com/resources/static/team/v2/celtics/media/history-championships-970x442.jpg
check out the lettering on the rings too: https://www.si.com/nba/2016/04/15/nba-championship-rings-through-years#gid=ci02554d8390032580&pid=2011-12-miami-heat

The phrase "World Champions" is definitely still used
cupcakesnake wrote:...no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it
Creativetran
Senior
And1: 281

Post#76 » by Creativetran » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:58 pm

Else_where wrote:and to make a broader point, likewise MLB, NHL and NFL champions are usually called World Champions for the reason that they are clearly stringest leagues for those specific sports and have the best athletes in those leagues than any other domestic league of that sport.
Doesn't bother me one bit, I got more important things to worry about then this stupid "issue" :banghead:
Slot Machine
Head Coach
And1: 4,558

Post#77 » by Slot Machine » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:12 pm

ACMFFL wrote:

Yeah, that sounds logical. Maybe you guys should do that instead of complaining on here.
The Bunk wrote:God I hate this fraudulent clown.

I've never wanted to punch someone in the face so badly. Really hoping to run into him at a game one day. I won't hesitate.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,370

Post#78 » by JonFromVA » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:21 pm

Can we re-visit this topic when there's at least a 25% chance that a team from another basketball league could beat the NBA champions?
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,826

Post#79 » by SK21209 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:24 pm

No and if something like this bothers you I question your fitness to function as an adult in the world.
BigShaq34
Sixth Man
And1: 2,849

Post#80 » by BigShaq34 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:28 pm

I'm not a fan of the US either, but the nba has the best players in the world. So yes, the nba champions are world champions, they would crush any foreign team in a 7 game series.

Return to The General Board