How bullish is everyone on Josh Giddey?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,767

Re: How bullish is everyone on Josh Giddey? 

Post#41 » by HotelVitale » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:02 pm

HumbleRen wrote:
JRoy wrote:
HumbleRen wrote:I'm always a fan of tall playmakers with elite vision.
Interesting player, looking to see what he can do. Is he an MCW type?
Nah, He's more like a 6'8 Ricky Rubio.

Careful there. Giddey is very under-athletic for a PG--he has no burst and his vertical is weak for the NBA--and he doesn't have freak-ish vision and creation ability. So he's not too much like MCW or Rubio as prospects.

He's tall, has a serviceable handle, and grew up a playmaker who can make passes around the whole court. He can hit spot up shots okay (though his form is pretty ugly, sort of a set shot with weird footwork) but his best skill is making use of gaps and good timing to create for himself and others. He'll take a gap off a pick and work that well, take a lane if he gets it, and also uses starts and stops to manipulate the defense some. He's pretty aggressive and competes too. Not quite sure who his comparison would be, I chose current Hayward because his size and passing make him a dangerous driver/pn'r player despite not having much athleticism, but he's more of a point than a wing scorer so that's not a tight fit. He'd also score much more through driving and spot-ups (rather than off the bounce shots) than Hayward.
Alonzo_Morning
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,624

Post#42 » by Alonzo_Morning » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:04 pm

He's Warwick Giddey's son and Warwick was a very limited role player in the NBL

Crazy
HumbleRen
RealGM
And1: 23,034

Post#43 » by HumbleRen » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:08 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
HumbleRen wrote:
JRoy wrote: Interesting player, looking to see what he can do. Is he an MCW type?

Careful there. Giddey is very under-athletic for a PG--he has no burst whatsoever and his vertical is weak for the NBA--and he doesn't have freak-ish vision and creation ability. So he's not too much like MCW or Rubio as prospects.

He's tall, has a serviceable handle, and grew up a playmaker who can make passes around the whole court. He can hit spot up shots okay (though his form is pretty ugly, sort of a set shot with weird footwork) but his best skill is making use of gaps and good timing to create for himself and others. He'll take a gap off a pick and work that well, take a lane if he gets it, and also uses starts and stops to manipulate the defense some. Not quite sure who his comparison would be, I chose current Hayward because his size and passing make him a dangerous driver/pn'r player despite not having much athleticism, but he's more of a point than a wing scorer so that's not a tight fit. He'd also score much more through driving and spot-ups (rather than off the bounce shots) than Hayward too.

Hayward's jumpshot has always been pure though, I don't really like that comp at all, even current day Hayward is a different player than Giddey.

Maybe a more quicker Kyle Anderson ? Idk. It's a tough comp to find thats accurate for Giddey lol.
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,312

Post#44 » by DCasey91 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:11 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
HumbleRen wrote:
JRoy wrote: Interesting player, looking to see what he can do. Is he an MCW type?

Careful there. Giddey is very under-athletic for a PG--he has no burst and his vertical is weak for the NBA--and he doesn't have freak-ish vision and creation ability. So he's not too much like MCW or Rubio as prospects.

He's tall, has a serviceable handle, and grew up a playmaker who can make passes around the whole court. He can hit spot up shots okay (though his form is pretty ugly, sort of a set shot with weird footwork) but his best skill is making use of gaps and good timing to create for himself and others. He'll take a gap off a pick and work that well, take a lane if he gets it, and also uses starts and stops to manipulate the defense some. He's pretty aggressive and competes too. Not quite sure who his comparison would be, I chose current Hayward because his size and passing make him a dangerous driver/pn'r player despite not having much athleticism, but he's more of a point than a wing scorer so that's not a tight fit. He'd also score much more through driving and spot-ups (rather than off the bounce shots) than Hayward.

Cade is more like Hayward (without the burst or savvy offensive vet play) or Paul Pierce but once again I’m not high on his lack of footwork.

Hayward was a stud muffin pre injury

I mean a 6”8” Rubio is still a good player. His athleticism will be fine on offense because he’s 6”8” and will probably end up bigger and taller than Lamelo (though he’s much more zippy and athletic and will be a better defender has his brothers active defensive traits, along with shooting/scoring).

Tighten the handle should be the most important thing allows things to get easier. (Another big reason which people overlook in comparisons, Ball and Luka have it on a string from little kids they have 6”2 elite guard handles, Cade/Giddey not so much).
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#45 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:13 pm

HumbleRen wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:
HumbleRen wrote: Nah, He's more like a 6'8 Ricky Rubio.

Careful there. Giddey is very under-athletic for a PG--he has no burst whatsoever and his vertical is weak for the NBA--and he doesn't have freak-ish vision and creation ability. So he's not too much like MCW or Rubio as prospects.

He's tall, has a serviceable handle, and grew up a playmaker who can make passes around the whole court. He can hit spot up shots okay (though his form is pretty ugly, sort of a set shot with weird footwork) but his best skill is making use of gaps and good timing to create for himself and others. He'll take a gap off a pick and work that well, take a lane if he gets it, and also uses starts and stops to manipulate the defense some. Not quite sure who his comparison would be, I chose current Hayward because his size and passing make him a dangerous driver/pn'r player despite not having much athleticism, but he's more of a point than a wing scorer so that's not a tight fit. He'd also score much more through driving and spot-ups (rather than off the bounce shots) than Hayward too.

Hayward's jumpshot has always been pure though, I don't really like that comp at all, even current day Hayward is a different player than Giddey.

Maybe a more quicker Kyle Anderson ? Idk. It's a tough comp to find thats accurate for Giddey lol.

Its only PS, but Josh is showing a much better ability to score than Kyle. He is also shooting better than Rubio (And has a better shot IMO).

It seems lazy, but a poor mans Luka really is the best comparison, unless I am missing someone. I just cant find one better.

I expect 14/4/5 this year w/ 32-34% 3PT shooting. I think that shot improves w/ time as well. Its very workable, and while a slow release he just finds ways to get open.
HumbleRen
RealGM

Post#46 » by HumbleRen » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:17 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:
HumbleRen wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:Careful there. Giddey is very under-athletic for a PG--he has no burst whatsoever and his vertical is weak for the NBA--and he doesn't have freak-ish vision and creation ability. So he's not too much like MCW or Rubio as prospects.

Its only PS, but Josh is showing a much better ability to score than Kyle. He is also shooting better than Rubio (And has a better shot IMO).

It seems lazy, but a poor mans Luka really is the best comparison, unless I am missing someone. I just cant find one better.

I expect 14/4/5 this year w/ 32-34% 3PT shooting. I think that shot improves w/ time as well. Its very workable, and while a slow release he just finds ways to get open.

I just don't see poor mans Luka at all lol.

Giddey strikes me more of a connecting player, not an offensive hub that you run every play through.

It's the direct opposite of what Luka is.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#47 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:22 pm

HumbleRen wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:
HumbleRen wrote:

Giddey strikes me more of a connecting player, not an offensive hub that you run every play through.

I mean, he certainly has style similarities in how he uses his body, creates space, gets open changing speed and direction, passes well, rebounds well, possesses a BBall IQ far above his age, etc.

His game is much more Luka than Kyle Anderson. Anderson had his first double digit scoring season last year at 27. I expect Giddey to eclipse that 12ppg this season, at 18/19.
HumbleRen
RealGM

Post#48 » by HumbleRen » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:31 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:
HumbleRen wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:

I mean, he certainly has style similarities in how he uses his body, creates space, gets open changing speed and direction, passes well, rebounds well, possesses a BBall IQ far above his age, etc.

His game is much more Luka than Kyle Anderson. Anderson had his first double digit scoring season last year at 27. I expect Giddey to eclipse that 12ppg this season, at 18/19.

That's not common to Luka though, that's what smart players all generally do when they don't have upper tier athleticism.

Giddey isn't a heliocentric player like Luka or Harden are. He just isn't wired that way nor does he have that offensive skillset to be a poor mans version of Luka/Harden.
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,735

Post#49 » by Ayt » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:21 pm

Why do people insist on making terrible comparisons of rookies to veterans instead of just judging players on their own merits?
Flash Falcon X
General Manager
And1: 4,706

Post#50 » by Flash Falcon X » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:25 pm

as a warriors fan i predicted that golden state would surprise everyone and select giddey with the #7 pick (he was projected as a late lottery pick,) but okc ended up being the team to surprise all and selected him right before gsw's pick.

obviously i dont know what the gsw draft board looked like and if they would select giddey if he was still on the board, but he seems like the type of player the warriors front office likes--a lot of height at the point guard position (he's around 6'6 or something like that,) high bbiq and passing ability. his shooting can always develop over time.
#DubNation
niQ
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 29,213

Post#51 » by niQ » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:33 pm

Took him with my last pick in Fantasy. Let's GO!
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#52 » by Danny1616 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:34 pm

Solid player.
HotelVitale
RealGM

Post#53 » by HotelVitale » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:07 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:
HumbleRen wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote: Its only PS, but Josh is showing a much better ability to score than Kyle. He is also shooting better than Rubio (And has a better shot IMO). It seems lazy, but a poor mans Luka really is the best comparison, unless I am missing someone. I just cant find one better. I expect 14/4/5 this year w/ 32-34% 3PT shooting. I think that shot improves w/ time as well. Its very workable, and while a slow release he just finds ways to get open.

I just don't see poor mans Luka at all lol. Giddey strikes me more of a connecting player, not an offensive hub that you run every play through. It's the direct opposite of what Luka is.
I mean, he certainly has style similarities in how he uses his body, creates space, gets open changing speed and direction, passes well, rebounds well, possesses a BBall IQ far above his age, etc. His game is much more Luka than Kyle Anderson. Anderson had his first double digit scoring season last year at 27. I expect Giddey to eclipse that 12ppg this season, at 18/19.

Luka is a monstrous shooter off the dribble and he's much bigger/stronger so is able to drive all day. There might be sort of a very loose aesthetic comparison there--big guys who aren't quick who have the ball in their hands--but there's no real similarity in terms of what they do or how they're effective.

Also you might be getting too in the weeds with the Anderson thing--Giddey is going to be WAY closer to Anderson's 12.5/5/4 this year than to Luka's 28/8/9. And his game and stregnths are fairly similar to KA's. He might be more able to create, hav more complete court vision, and be more comfortable playing at full speed (that's actually one of Giddey's strengths) so he's not stuck being a lower volume guy like KA. But that seems so much closer to what he'd be than the massive-volume machine that Luka is.
HotelVitale
RealGM

Post#54 » by HotelVitale » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:19 pm

DCasey91 wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:
HumbleRen wrote: Nah, He's more like a 6'8 Ricky Rubio.

Careful there. Giddey is very under-athletic for a PG--he has no burst and his vertical is weak for the NBA--and he doesn't have freak-ish vision and creation ability. So he's not too much like MCW or Rubio as prospects. He's tall, has a serviceable handle, and grew up a playmaker who can make passes around the whole court. He can hit spot up shots okay (though his form is pretty ugly, sort of a set shot with weird footwork) but his best skill is making use of gaps and good timing to create for himself and others. He'll take a gap off a pick and work that well, take a lane if he gets it, and also uses starts and stops to manipulate the defense some. He's pretty aggressive and competes too. Not quite sure who his comparison would be, I chose current Hayward because his size and passing make him a dangerous driver/pn'r player despite not having much athleticism, but he's more of a point than a wing scorer so that's not a tight fit. He'd also score much more through driving and spot-ups (rather than off the bounce shots) than Hayward.

Cade is more like Hayward (without the burst or savvy offensive vet play) or Paul Pierce but once again I’m not high on his lack of footwork. Hayward was a stud muffin pre injury

I mean a 6”8” Rubio is still a good player. His athleticism will be fine on offense because he’s 6”8” and will probably end up bigger and taller than Lamelo (though he’s much more zippy and athletic and will be a better defender has his brothers active defensive traits, along with shooting/scoring)..

All comps are lazy and inadequate but this comp was with current Hayward, and specifically about the way he drives and creates for others despite limited athleticism (but with a height advantage for the position). That said, Hayward is still mostly a slick shooter--got one of the purer jumpers in the game--so I don't want to make a comp to their overall games, and Giddey is clearly more willing to hold the ball and manipulate the D as he's driving (point guard style) rather than just drive and kick.

Also yeah a 6'8 Rubio who could shoot open jumpers would be a nice player, but Giddey isn't close to rookie Rubio in terms of passing/pn'r wizardy--Giddey is a nice passer who sees most of the court when he has space to survey it. And he also doesn't have his handle or quickness. I don't think that comparison is helpful at all.

Guess I'll got with a more aggressive Kyle Anderson, worse on defense but quicker to attack and more eager to create more for himself and others. Call him Fast-Mo.
Madhouse
RealGM
And1: 9,876

Post#55 » by Madhouse » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:42 pm

yeah, had him in my top 5 pre draft.
Madhouse
RealGM
And1: 9,876

Post#56 » by Madhouse » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:42 pm

PlatinumState wrote:Can Shai and Giddey coexist though?

No, trade Shai to Toronto.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,221

Post#57 » by Dan Z » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:42 pm

OKC passed on Kuminga to draft Giddey. Was that the right decision?
PD28
General Manager
And1: 13,452

Post#58 » by PD28 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:36 pm

Dan Z wrote:OKC passed on Kuminga to draft Giddey. Was that the right decision?

Kuminga reminds me of Corey Maggette for some reason. I think Giddey will have more impact on the game (offensively) like Nash did.
GettinitDone
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,867

Post#59 » by GettinitDone » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:46 pm

He's so raw, has acceptable but limited athleticism, and by his shooting form, seems to lack strength, has acceptable but limited handles and maybe above average court vision.

I don't understand Presti's fascination on him to take him at #6, I would take him just outside lottery.

Someone compared him to Kyle Anderson, but even Giddey is much faster and quicker than the tortoise. I'd compare him to a young Danilo Gallinari, when he was still a Knick. But even Danilo back then, not exactly known for his athleticism, could still be considered superior in athleticism than Giddey is now imo, which is saying something.

But as Giddey gets stronger in his first few seasons with gym and nutrition routines, he should be a much improved player. He could be a SF version of Manu Ginobili.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,932

Post#60 » by zimpy27 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:53 pm

HumbleRen wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:
HumbleRen wrote:

That's fair, you are weighting temperament and aggression on offense as particularly important features.

Giddey isn't there with that killer instinct. Other than that, his comparison as a poor man's Luka is sound.

Killer instinct, tighter handles and multiple additions to his offensive arsenal will have him looking like Luka. He won't ever be all that though.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie

Return to The General Board