2021-22 Rookie Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Who will be the three best rookies?

Cade Cunningham
14%
Jalen Green
16%
Evan Mobley
21%
Scottie Barnes
25%
Jalen Suggs
6%
Josh Giddey
9%
Jonathan Kuminga
1%
Trey Murphy
1%
James Bouknight
2%
Other
5%

Total votes: 899

BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Re: 2021-22 Rookie Thread 

Post#141 » by BostonCouchGM » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:04 pm

Davion Mitchell could very well make all-NBA defense and be the ROY. He should be in this poll before a half dozen other guys
Scatocephalus
Senior
And1: 104

Post#142 » by Scatocephalus » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:05 pm

Catchall wrote:Jared Butler with 16p, 7a, 2s in some pretty solid rotation minutes against the Bucks.

I really like Butler and think that if he wasn't coming off the bench would have a good shot at ROY. Unfortunately for him he will be playing behind Conley and Mitchell and even Ingles at the PG position.

Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,558

Post#143 » by Jadoogar » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:51 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:Davion Mitchell could very well make all-NBA defense and be the ROY. He should be in this poll before a half dozen other guys

Lol the only rookies to ever make all defensive team:
Tim Duncan
David Robinson
Olajuwon
Kareem Abdul Jabbar
Manute Bol

Also since 1990, a non-top 5 pick has won ROY 6 times and many of those were pretty weird circumstances
Brogdon (embiid missed so much time and people still thought it should have been him)
MCW (historically bad draft class, the Anthony Bennett draft)
Dame Lillard
Brandon Roy (another historically bad draft class, Bargnani was #1)
Amare (underrated bad draft, only Amare and Yao Ming amounted to much)
Damon Stoudamire

With the exception of Amare (high school), none of these players were college freshmen.

Sooooo, maybe pump the breaks a little.
Bornstellar
Head Coach
And1: 17,088

Post#144 » by Bornstellar » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:30 pm

I was super skeptical and irritated at the Spurs picking Joshua Primo at 12 but man, he has looked pretty impressive when he has played. Kid is going to be special, he already looks like a top 3 player on our team. He has so much game that was never showcased at Alabama, no idea how the Spurs picked up on that but I'm glad they picked him. And he just seems like a great kid and mature for his age. :nod:
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,485

Post#145 » by whitehops » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:01 am

Jadoogar wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:Davion Mitchell could very well make all-NBA defense and be the ROY. He should be in this poll before a half dozen other guys

Lol the only rookies to ever make all defensive team:
Tim Duncan
David Robinson
Olajuwon
Kareem Abdul Jabbar
Manute Bol

Also since 1990, a non-top 5 pick has won ROY 6 times and many of those were pretty weird circumstances
Brogdon (embiid missed so much time and people still thought it should have been him)
MCW (historically bad draft class, the Anthony Bennett draft)
Dame Lillard
Brandon Roy (another historically bad draft class, Bargnani was #1)
Amare (underrated bad draft, only Amare and Yao Ming amounted to much)
Damon Stoudamire

With the exception of Amare (high school), none of these players were college freshmen.

Sooooo, maybe pump the breaks a little.

i agree that it's a long shot, especially if he's coming off the bench. just wanted to point out that mitchell played three seasons in college so he's a lot more nba-ready than a freshman would be. fun fact: he's a year older than marvin bagley and two years older than tyrese haliburton.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,485

Post#146 » by whitehops » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:02 am

also, for those that have seen him has trey murphy been playing well overall or was he just insanely hot from 3 this preseason?
DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,142

Post#147 » by DroseReturnChi » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:46 am

no chance for roy. hes benched and mostly abt ppg contest why edwards nearly won it.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,142

Post#148 » by DroseReturnChi » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:49 am

Bornstellar wrote:I was super skeptical and irritated at the Spurs picking Joshua Primo at 12 but man, he has looked pretty impressive when he has played. Kid is going to be special, he already looks like a top 3 player on our team. He has so much game that was never showcased at Alabama, no idea how the Spurs picked up on that but I'm glad they picked him. And he just seems like a great kid and mature for his age. :nod:

12 is not even considered a high pick. theres nothing to be skeptical taking a chance unless u hated the guy.
typical spurs excellent pick i think he will be the best player on the spurs in 4 yrs. non of the roster screams star. primo will outplay his draft stock but 12 is the right spot because his ceiling isnt like giannis more like low all star and is somewhat a big project.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,604

Post#149 » by Curmudgeon » Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:14 am

1. Davion Mitchell For the also rans, pick any two.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,124

Post#150 » by djsunyc » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:02 am

The_Hater wrote:
XTC wrote:Mobley and Barnes go #1 and #2 in a redraft. Both are legit game changers on the defensive end, with underrated offensive games. It's crazy how these two where so underappreciated by so many on this board.

Both are lengthy athletes with a natural feel for the game. It was obvious these two had the highest upside.

Except Barnes isn’t an underrated offensive player. Probably overrated because while he’s atheltic and can handle and pass, he can’t shoot to save his life right now. It’s WIP. Very Simmons-like but not as good yet.

I’m excited for his future too but a lot of Raps fans are getting ahead of themselves at this point.

simmons form is horrendous. barnes form is much more workable. much more there to work with.
mediocrityrules
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,956

Post#151 » by mediocrityrules » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:16 am

Giddey with an almost triple double. He's just ging to get better and better as he gets more comfortable.
Circling calendars since 2021
Syd-TK3
RealGM
And1: 17,527

Post#152 » by Syd-TK3 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:15 am

Giddey definitely seems like he should be top 3 for Roty candidate possibly win if thunder continues to stay in full tank mode and he racks up stats
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,261

Post#153 » by DCasey91 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:14 am

Voted Green, Giddey and Murphy III. Giddy 4 Giddey that is all.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,118

Post#154 » by God Squad » Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:26 am

Creativetran wrote:
God Squad wrote:Since Suggs isn't getting any love in this thread I want to give him some credit. I watched the Celtics(best game) and Spurs game and came away very underwhelmed in certain factors such as handle(is he even a pg?) and jumper. But Suggs is going to be a terror defensively for guards. He just knows how to use his body to make it difficult for them. He also shows an innate ability to get blocks around the rim, be in man or help defense. He's going to be a crazy good defender in the league me thinks.

He had like two blocks at the rim on Tatum! It just sucks that I came away more impressed with Mo Bamba than Suggs from those games. I think Mo's going to have a huge year with Vuc gone.

Its early, but I think Franz was a bad or suspect pick at 8. Magic need scoring so I probably would have gone Bouk.

Suggs looked fantastic in summer league but preseason he has definitely looked average accept his defense. The Franz thing worries me more though, he was a soph but looks lost out there. I totally get why they drafted a player like him with all the guards we currently have but as it stands he looks BAD out there.

Yeah, but Summer league is the definition of pickup basketball, far worse than preseason. But he did look good, he played his best ball so far there.
God Squad
RealGM

Post#155 » by God Squad » Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:27 am

DCasey91 wrote:Voted Green, Giddey and Murphy III. Giddy 4 Giddey that is all.

I doubt Murphy will be in the top 5 personally. But Green and Giddy I see it 100%. Giddey is legit and I feel crazy because I wasn't on board at all when Masai and Co were scouting him.
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,261

Post#156 » by DCasey91 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:44 am

God Squad wrote:

I doubt Murphy will be in the top 5 personally. But Green and Giddy I see it 100%. Giddey is legit and I feel crazy because I wasn't on board at all when Masai and Co were scouting him.

Was a top ten talent for me. My concerns about his body type (not height just strength) has not only become a positive but a huge advantage imo.
I keep comparing the two (Ball) but Giddey will be taller and more bulkier. Scoring is pretty easy nowadays, so instead 8-12 it’ll be more like 12-16.
Ball is more special to me but Giddey is an exciting talent.

I mean this year drafting on potential and rawness can be squarely beginning at pick 2 onwards. Green still needs 2 years so I get the Barnes/Giddey pick even though I love Suggs as a prospect. And Cade isn’t what I would call a surefire number one top pick either.

Even I can admit Mobley needs two years but I always thought he’d be the best player from this draft at the end of the day back in draft boards months and months ago.

Been all over Green since day dot, and Murphy III is one of my favorites in this class so had to put him in there somehow :).

All in all this class is very very deep but the top end is a wait and see unlike straight away in some drafts years gone by. That probably is a part of the reason for the OKC/Raptors drafting methods on big upside of both because they aren’t actually far off the top 1-3 talent and theoretically could be a top 1-3 best player if you catch my drift.

And both are top tier scouting/drafting departments so I’d back them to be right long term.
God Squad
RealGM

Post#157 » by God Squad » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:52 am

DCasey91 wrote:
God Squad wrote:

Was a top ten talent for me. My concerns about his body type (not height just strength) has not only become a positive but a huge advantage imo.
I keep comparing the two (Ball) but Giddey will be taller and more bulkier. Scoring is pretty easy nowadays, so instead 8-12 it’ll be more like 12-16.
Ball is more special to me but Giddey is an exciting talent.

I mean this year drafting on potential and rawness can be squarely beginning at pick 2 onwards. Green still needs 2 years so I get the Barnes/Giddey pick even though I love Suggs as a prospect. And Cade isn’t what I would call a surefire number one top pick either.

Even I can admit Mobley needs two years but I always thought he’d be the best player from this draft at the end of the day back in draft boards months and months ago.

Been all over Green since day dot, and Murphy III is one of my favorites in this class so had to put him in there somehow :).

All in all this class is very very deep but the top end is a wait and see unlike straight away in some drafts years gone by. That probably is a part of the reason for the OKC/Raptors drafting methods on big upside of both because they aren’t actually far off the top 1-3 talent and theoretically could be a top 1-3 best player if you catch my drift.

And both are top tier scouting/drafting departments so I’d back them to be right long term.

Oh I like TM3 also. I just don't see a strictly spot up guy winning RoY. Especially compared to more complete players (anyone in the top 6). I'd probably say Giddey has been my most surprising as I was low on him, but his skill and production already has me eating crow. Even if he doesn't sustain this current level, you can see the potential. I think both OKC and TOR (who fans and analyst laughed at) will be the ones laughing when its all said and done. I couldn't agree more on Mobley, that kid oozes potential. But while I love Green's scoring potential, I still see some question marks and not a "sure thing" as everyone proclaims.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Post#158 » by The_Hater » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:31 pm

djsunyc wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
XTC wrote:Mobley and Barnes go #1 and #2 in a redraft. Both are legit game changers on the defensive end, with underrated offensive games. It's crazy how these two where so underappreciated by so many on this board.

Both are lengthy athletes with a natural feel for the game. It was obvious these two had the highest upside.

Except Barnes isn’t an underrated offensive player. Probably overrated because while he’s atheltic and can handle and pass, he can’t shoot to save his life right now. It’s WIP. Very Simmons-like but not as good yet.

I’m excited for his future too but a lot of Raps fans are getting ahead of themselves at this point.

simmons form is horrendous. barnes form is much more workable. much more there to work with.

Barnes has poor form himself. He has a hitch that gets worse the closer he gets to 3 point line

Anyways, I’m not talking about simmons v Barnes 2-3 years from now, I’m only discussing the present. Barnes should be a superior shooter in the future because of his work ethic.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Creativetran
Senior
And1: 281

Post#159 » by Creativetran » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:13 pm

The_Hater wrote:Anyways, I’m not talking about simmons v Barnes 2-3 years from now, I’m only discussing the present. Barnes should be a superior shooter in the future because of his work ethic.

Barnes shot isn't broken either like Simmons
cjmcallist
Sixth Man
And1: 734

Post#160 » by cjmcallist » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:30 pm

I haven't seen anyone play yet, but I voted anyway.

Cade
Green
Giddey < b/c I'm a homer

Return to The General Board