ImageImageImage

Welcome to Virtual Boston, Juhann Begarin!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,139

Re: Welcome to Virtual Boston, Juhann Begarin! 

Post#181 » by Hal14 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:34 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:
playa-hater wrote:Since this thread was bumped up and with all due respect to J Morgan and A Brown, I like J Begarin more. He should be on this year's team, even as a 2 way or maybe even better.

Damn you Stevens, you make me want to build a statue for everything else just so I can tear it down for this.

I still say learning from watching Tatum-Brown-PP-Nesmith and whomever else UP CLOSE and playing in between G-league and the NBA > some far off land..

He would play zero minutes and waste a year of his rookie contract. In the event that he proves he's a viable NBA player, it will be when he's 23-ish. SO why throw away a year of control for no reason? Juhann Begarin would have zero impact on the 2021-22 Celtics, but he may have impact on the 2024-25 Celtics. If you bring him into the fold now, you risk losing him on his second contract. This is basic stuff. Players aren't good at age 19 unless they are hall of famers.

I agree with most of that except the bold part.

So you're saying that the following players will be hall of famers?

Lamelo Ball (made 1st team all rookie team at age 19)
Anthony Edwards (made 1st team all rookie team at age 19)
Isaiah Stewart (made 2nd team all rookie team at age 19)
Patrick Williams (made 2nd team all rookie team at age 19)
RJ Barrett (just barely missed the cut for 2nd team all rookie at age 19)

Some of the favorites this year to make all rookie team are Giddey, Sengun, Jalen Green, Cade Cunningham and Scottie Barnes - all have really impressed in preseason / summer league and all are expected to be contributors for their teams this year at age 19.

I agree that is used to be, a player would only make an impact at age 19 if they were a future hall of famer, but i'm not sure that's the case anymore.

I'm thinking that with all of our wing depth, we'll probably keep Begarin overseas for 1 more year after this season but by 2023-2024 season, he'll be ready to come over here and make an impact. We'll see..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,483

Post#182 » by playa-hater » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:41 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:
playa-hater wrote:Since this thread was bumped up and with all due respect to J Morgan and A Brown, I like J Begarin more. He should be on this year's team, even as a 2 way or maybe even better.

Damn you Stevens, you make me want to build a statue for everything else just so I can tear it down for this.

I still say learning from watching Tatum-Brown-PP-Nesmith and whomever else UP CLOSE and playing in between G-league and the NBA > some far off land..

He would play zero minutes and waste a year of his rookie contract. In the event that he proves he's a viable NBA player, it will be when he's 23-ish. SO why throw away a year of control for no reason? Juhann Begarin would have zero impact on the 2021-22 Celtics, but he may have impact on the 2024-25 Celtics. If you bring him into the fold now, you risk losing him on his second contract. This is basic stuff. Players aren't good at age 19 unless they are hall of famers.

this is all true in the Big picture. Probably wiser this way. But I still hold that he is good enough to be on this roster and would develop faster here. BUT overall the point of his rookie contract trumps the other stuff.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#183 » by Bleeding Green » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:54 pm

Hal14 wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:

I agree with most of that except the bold part.

So you're saying that the following players will be hall of famers?

Lamelo Ball (made 1st team all rookie team at age 19)
Anthony Edwards (made 1st team all rookie team at age 19)
Isaiah Stewart (made 2nd team all rookie team at age 19)
Patrick Williams (made 2nd team all rookie team at age 19)
RJ Barrett (just barely missed the cut for 2nd team all rookie at age 19)

Some of the favorites this year to make all rookie team are Giddey, Sengun, Jalen Green, Cade Cunningham and Scottie Barnes - all have really impressed in preseason / summer league and all are expected to be contributors for their teams this year at age 19.

I agree that is used to be, a player would only make an impact at age 19 if they were a future hall of famer, but i'm not sure that's the case anymore.

I'm thinking that with all of our wing depth, we'll probably keep Begarin overseas for 1 more year after this season but by 2023-2024 season, he'll be ready to come over here and make an impact. We'll see..
Ball and Edwards are def HOF talent level. The rest nah, and none of them were really positive impact players at age 19 anyway, maybe Stewart was.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,995

Post#184 » by 31to6 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:24 pm

so just to get a sense of the room we like this guy more than Yam Madar now, right?
Romeo better establish himself as an NBA player this season or else 43>14
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#186 » by Hal14 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:26 pm

Very cool article. My favorite quote:

“We switch him from one to four,” says Prat. “We make sure Juhann is guarding the best player in front of us. If it’s a point guard, it’s a point guard. If it’s a two-man, it’s a two man. If they try to post him up? We give no help. No nothing.”

Also like that while he shot 37% from 3 last year, the team President still acknowledges that shooting is the main thing they are working on with Begarin.

Oh and I love this quote too:

“Juhann wants to be great,” says Kahn, who’s watched Begarin develop for two seasons, from 17-year-old from a tiny island into a bonafide NBA draft pick. “Last year, he’d routinely spend two hours in the gym, working with a private coach, after we practiced maybe once or twice a day. There’s a mentality there. He really wants this.”
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
remi_222
Pro Prospect
And1: 636

Post#187 » by remi_222 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:34 am

First win for Paris, 13pts, (6/10 FG, 1/2 3pts, 0/1 FT)4 reb, 1 st. Good sequences in 2nd half off and defensively in this highlights
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,643

Post#188 » by zoyathedestroya » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:06 pm

Hal14
RealGM

Post#189 » by Hal14 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:31 pm

remi_222 wrote:

First win for Paris, 13pts, (6/10 FG, 1/2 3pts, 0/1 FT)4 reb, 1 st. Good sequences in 2nd half off and defensively in this highlights

I like that a Nuggets fan who's based in Paris is coming over to our celtics board to post Begarin vids. People in Paris must like this guy :)
Justin33
Sixth Man
And1: 1,067

Post#190 » by Justin33 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:42 pm

;ab_channel=TomaszKordylewski
remi_222
Pro Prospect

Post#191 » by remi_222 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:16 pm

Hal14 wrote:
remi_222 wrote:

I like that a Nuggets fan who's based in Paris is coming over to our celtics board to post Begarin vids. People in Paris must like this guy :)

hahaha just a french man who lived in denver but support all french players in the nba also
Hal14
RealGM

Post#192 » by Hal14 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:23 pm

Justin33 wrote:;ab_channel=TomaszKordylewski

Love it. It really looks like he is getting his speed/explosiveness back.

We saw lots of explosiveness in his younger footage and a little bit in footage from last season.

G-league ignite camp and summer league for the C's he was good but seemed to have put on some weight and wasn't as fast/explosive.

Now (especially in this game here) it looks like he is getting that speed/explosiveness back - while also have a good amount of strength. Seems to be finding a good balance there. In this game he's really attacking off the dribble, going hard to the rim, while also going 1/2 from 3.

He just plays hard, man. Plays with a tenacity I really like.

I think there's a good chance that if he keeps developing we're gonna want him on the roster next season - will be interesting to see if they do that or keep him in France for another year.. Still a long way to go before having to make that decision..
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,861

Post#193 » by Curmudgeon » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:26 pm

Nice to see him go left on that last highlight.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
remi_222
Pro Prospect

Post#194 » by remi_222 » Mon Nov 1, 2021 11:48 am

kid is def getting better ! great performance vs euroleague team !
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,995

Post#195 » by 31to6 » Mon Nov 1, 2021 2:38 pm

wonder what sort of draft interest he would've gotten this coming June if he hadn't declared as an 18 year old.
Maybe a late first, get hype :)
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,861

Post#196 » by Curmudgeon » Mon Nov 1, 2021 3:56 pm

Too bad the game was extended garbage time. His performance in a close game against Cholet was more impressive.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West

"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,483

Post#197 » by playa-hater » Mon Nov 1, 2021 6:26 pm

I have lost so much interest already. If our current coach doesn't believe in our current young players who already played well on the NBA level many times, there is no chance Ime plays/develops this kid next year or the year after IMO. We will probably be in "we need veterans mode" until either he is gone or the Js..
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,510

Post#198 » by Kalela » Tue Nov 2, 2021 8:45 pm

I am really big on this kid. I will be honest I knew next to nothing about him before the Celtics drafted him but I think he will be really big for the Celtics when he finally comes over.
Fire Mazzulla
Justin33
Sixth Man
And1: 1,067

Post#199 » by Justin33 » Sun Nov 7, 2021 4:03 pm

playing well and have to remember that younger players in Europe have a hiearchy they have to follow almost always deferring to older players
Smart2Nesmith43
Sixth Man
And1: 4,172

Post#200 » by Smart2Nesmith43 » Sun Nov 7, 2021 6:31 pm

There's been a lot of problems with the TV rights for Pro A this year so this was the first opportunity to watch a full game from Begarin.

Fun game between Paris Basketball at home and ASVEL (best team in France, 6-2 in Euroleague right now). Lots of hype (sold out stadium, first career start for Wembanyama, plenty of NBA personnel in attendance including RC Buford apparently) and you could see a couple of players struggle a little with the intensity. Not Kamagate though. Took Wembanyama out of the game by putting him in foul trouble early and when he rolled he got above the rim in a blink of an eye, nice timings on blocks and contests, somebody is going to draft him in June.

Begarin started on the bench and when he came in he had to pick up William Howard or Elie Okobo (both had a cup of coffee in the NBA, members of the french national team, they can play). He got called for a couple fouls for picking guys up pretty agressively but considering the physicality of the game I didn't care much for either calls. Drove right into Youssoupha Fall (7'3) and promptly got blocked. Don't know what the thought process was there. Throughout the game, he had a tendency to overhelp when somebody drove but he still managed to get back out to shooters and had solid contests. He was much better during his second stint of the half capping a run with an open three pointer to force an ASVEL timeout.

Read on Twitter

Then he came out with a loud dunk in transition to put Paris up 1 at the half.

Read on Twitter

He started the second half, played almost the entire third quarter and mostly defended David Lighty (last year's Finals MVP in Pro A). Begarin had a nice putback and was generally active on the boards. He had a really nice play where he went to the corner to cover a shooter on an ASVEL fastbreak and when the ball was thrown to Fall in the middle he came all the way over to break it up and even drew a foul on Fall as he barged into Begarin. Juhann also had a nice pass ahead to find a team for a dunk in transition. There was another play I liked where he missed a pull up three with the shot clock winding down, one of his teammates got the offensive board in the opposite corner shot it right away and Begarin instead of standing there or hanging his head after his miss went right after the ball and tied up the ASVEL center to force a jump ball.

He had a drive where he missed a teammate wide open for three but still liked the agressiveness to go right at Fall and Wembanyama and he got two free throws for his troubles. He also drove baseline right by a closeout and had a nice assist on the dumpoff to O'Quinn once he got the ASVEL big man to commit to stopping his drive. He was really good in transition getting a easy bucket on one instance and drawing a foul for two free throw after trying to go coast to coast of the defensive board on another.

Came back with 5 and a half minutes left in the game. He had a nice defensive possession where he brickwalled Fall in the post. And yeah Fall still shot a point blank range turnaround right over him but Begarin prevented a dunk and got the stop since Fall actually missed somehow. He drew two free throws on a drive, that was one of the only time he got the ball on the move, I wished they would have done that more as nobody on the floor was quick enough to stay in front of him in that scenario. He made a big shot to put his team up 9 with less than two minutes left with a nice crossover to shake his defender before swishing the midrange jumper.

Read on Twitter

He had bad possession with the team up 4 and 24 seconds remaining where he kinda dribbled aimlessly before almost turning the ball over with a bad pass that was deflected (he did manage to tip it to a teammate in the end). I wished he would have had the confidence to go to the line instead of trying to get ride of the ball but his free throw shooting is still a work in progress. Paris would hold on to secure the huge upset despite a late barrage of long range bombs from Okobo.

TL;DR: Overall, some questionable decision making but a lot more heads up plays. Very willing and able to do the little things that don't show up in the boxscore to win. The outside shot looks pretty fluid. Not very involved in the offense in the halfcourt but made the most out of his opportunities tonight and he was great in transition. They need to find a way to get him the ball on the move in the halfcourt, nobody at that level will be able stay in front of him. I could definitely see him feast off dribble handeoffs.
Kamagate is getting drafted this june. Wembanyama had a rough game overall but did hit a couple threes and is still trying to get his footing at that level. Not worried at all.

The boxscore : https://www.lnb.fr/elite/game-center-resume/?id=23883

Return to Boston Celtics