ImageImageImageImageImage

Updated salary situation for 2021-2022.

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 18,785

Re: Updated salary situation for 2021-2022. 

Post#181 » by DelAbbot » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:33 pm

HumbleRen wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:
HumbleRen wrote:I don't see FVV or GTJ being apart of our team post 2023.

I have been a vocal FVV hater due to his physical limitations and playmaking limitations but why wouldn't FVV be with our team post 2023? He has a lot of the key qualities Nurse wants - defense, shooting, toughness, leadership. FVV fits our culture so well.

GTJ he can be traded asap - I have shifted my hater energy away from FVV to GTJ

He'll be getting paid way more on his next contract that will see him getting paid until he's 34.

Paying a 5'11 player who can't finish around the rim in his prime age who also has a history of injuries isn't a Masai thing to do.

I think when the right star is available, GTJ and FVV will be sent packing for said player.

We don't know what he will earn on his next contract. He underperformed last year compared to 2 years ago but he is still worth his current contract's AAV due to his intangibles/impact. I see FVV outperforming his current contract in terms of winning impact but not in terms of statistics/accolades, which means his next contract may not be much more in AAV than his current AAV.

You are right that his physical limitations will catch up with him when he is 32+, but that is 5 years away.
HumbleRen
RealGM
And1: 22,975

Post#182 » by HumbleRen » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:39 pm

DelAbbot wrote:
HumbleRen wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:
I have been a vocal FVV hater due to his physical limitations and playmaking limitations but why wouldn't FVV be with our team post 2023? He has a lot of the key qualities Nurse wants - defense, shooting, toughness, leadership. FVV fits our culture so well.

GTJ he can be traded asap - I have shifted my hater energy away from FVV to GTJ

He'll be getting paid way more on his next contract that will see him getting paid until he's 34.

Paying a 5'11 player who can't finish around the rim in his prime age who also has a history of injuries isn't a Masai thing to do.

I think when the right star is available, GTJ and FVV will be sent packing for said player.

We don't know what he will earn on his next contract. He underperformed last year compared to 2 years ago but he is still worth his current contract's AAV due to his intangibles/impact. I see FVV outperforming his current contract in terms of winning impact but not in terms of statistics/accolades, which means his next contract may not be much more in AAV than his current AAV.

You are right that his physical limitations will catch up with him when he is 32+, but that is 5 years away.

I don't think he underperformed. Look at his peers who are getting 21M a year.

Lonzo Ball, Malcolm Brogdan, Marcus Smart, Mike Conley, Spencer Dimwiddle .. I think FVV is better than all of them or atleast near the top of the list.

I'm just very wary of paying short guards who can't finish at all when it's time for their 2nd big contract.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,048

Post#183 » by Indeed » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:17 am

KrazyP wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:Can anyone point me to the impact of absorbing Dwight Powell's 11M per for next two seasons on our salary cap? If we are near the cap (or already over it) in summer of 2022, then Dwight Powell's 11M for 2022/2023 doesn't hurt our ability to sign FA right?

I think Svi and Watanabe both break out this year....as a result, a big portion of the room the Raps have under the tax threshold for next year will likely be used to retain these guys. Svi will require use of the MLE and Watanabe will be an early bird FA. I could see contracts in the $6-8mill/yr range for both if they play well.

There will be some wiggle room left over but I'm not sure if the Raptors would have any interest in filling it with Dwight Powell's contract unless the Mavs tie a 1st round pick to him which is unlikely.

There will be some wiggle room left over, but unlikely to have roster spot.
Next year under contract (10):
Siakam, VanVleet, OG, Trent, Barnes, Birch, Achiuwa, Flynn, Banton, 2022 1st
Next year may under contract (2):
Mykhailiuk, Watanabe
Next year in Two-way (2):
Johnson, Champagnie
Incoming from Dallas (3):
Powell, Brown, filler (Burke?)
No room / money for:
Boucher

Unless Dallas is giving an expiring as the filler, otherwise, we basically have no roster spot, which is why we probably don't want to take long term contracts. Not only we can't re-sign Boucher, also that fixed our roster, can't promote our two-way neither.

Unless we believe our roster is good enough, otherwise, taking long term contract means we are expected to be like this year with some improvement from our rookies.
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,523

Post#184 » by bluerap23 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:18 pm

Updated with assumption Bonga and Dekker have made it (I hate to assume)
AkelaLoneWolf
RealGM
And1: 12,127

Post#185 » by AkelaLoneWolf » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:46 pm

looks like dropping either player puts them below the tax line. probably better from mgmt stand point to drop a player anyway to keep a roster spot open for a future dragic date.
"We're the middle children of history. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives." - Tyler Durden in Fight Club.
aligator
Assistant Coach
And1: 432

Post#186 » by aligator » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:31 pm

No need to drop a player now. Won't be getting much back for Dragic other than filler, 2nd round picks unless very lucky.
douggood
General Manager
And1: 5,320

Post#187 » by douggood » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:40 pm

aligator wrote:No need to drop a player now. Won't be getting much back for Dragic other than filler, 2nd round picks unless very lucky.

but its most likely going to be a 2for1 3for1 trade just to make the salary match up. so open roster spot would come in handy when time arises.
Indeed
RealGM

Post#188 » by Indeed » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:16 am

I am wondering when is the deadline for exercising Achiuwa and Flynn on their team options?
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 9,973

Post#189 » by tecumseh18 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:24 pm

Team will probably only keep ONE of Dekker or Bonga to stay out of the tax. I'm guessing it will be Bonga, but it depends on performance in the next two weeks.

Read on Twitter
niQ
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 29,168

Post#190 » by niQ » Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:15 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=u5-qSZS6T0XRiQ3ImG-G8g&s=19
ash_k
RealGM
And1: 8,790

Post#191 » by ash_k » Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:19 pm

niQ wrote:
Read on Twitter

and I thought the Bonga vs Dekker was done for a while :lol: :lol:
Sinant wrote:I treat the Phoenix/Cleveland/Boston Shaqs like I do Wizards MJ. Never happened.
Indeed
RealGM

Post#192 » by Indeed » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:11 pm

Indeed wrote:I am wondering when is the deadline for exercising Achiuwa and Flynn on their team options?

I think they just did
Read on Twitter

Perhaps this is coincident at the timing, make me feel they read RealGM :lol:
bluerap23
Head Coach

Post#193 » by bluerap23 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:33 pm

niQ wrote:
Read on Twitter

Very interesting. Another reason dropping Ish was unusual was that he wasn't guaranteed until January. The fact we pushed this back could mean we have a trade possibility and one will be dropped if the trade doesn't happen. Or it could mean that they are still in competition for the 14th spot and we won't carry 15 at that point. Another possibility, we want to see how the team is functioning depth-wise for the first couple weeks. If neither gets any PT, we probably don't need both.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,346

Post#194 » by Johnny Bball » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:33 pm

I assumed this would have meant that one of dragic, boucher, flynn etc would have had to have been moved for less salary to duck the tax (we are hard capped anyway) but instead this means one of dekker or bonga is getting cut since they moved their guarantees to Nov 6. We've seen what bonga does and it's ok, but he's got to get dekker on the floor in the next two weeks to give him a shot.
Indeed
RealGM

Post#195 » by Indeed » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:13 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:I assumed this would have meant that one of dragic, boucher, flynn etc would have had to have been moved for less salary to duck the tax (we are hard capped anyway) but instead this means one of dekker or bonga is getting cut since they moved their guarantees to Nov 6. We've seen what bonga does and it's ok, but he's got to get dekker on the floor in the next two weeks to give him a shot.

Even we move them, it doesn't mean we don't waive them for roster spot.

Dragic such a large contract may return 2 or 3 players, while I don't see Flynn being moved on his own.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,346

Post#196 » by Johnny Bball » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:29 pm

Indeed wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:I assumed this would have meant that one of dragic, boucher, flynn etc would have had to have been moved for less salary to duck the tax (we are hard capped anyway) but instead this means one of dekker or bonga is getting cut since they moved their guarantees to Nov 6. We've seen what bonga does and it's ok, but he's got to get dekker on the floor in the next two weeks to give him a shot.

Dragic such a large contract may return 2 or 3 players, while I don't see Flynn being moved on his own.

Yeah, but it seems like this decision will be made before Nov. 6. so it doesn't force us to make a trade we don't want to later. waiving both is entirely possible, but I think that would leave us one short.
aligator
Assistant Coach
And1: 432

Post#197 » by aligator » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:34 pm

It seems obvious that barring more injuries that Dekker will be waived on November 6.
bluerap23
Head Coach

Post#198 » by bluerap23 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:49 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
Indeed wrote:

Yeah, but it seems like this decision will be made before Nov. 6. so it doesn't force us to make a trade we don't want to later. waiving both is entirely possible, but I think that would leave us one short.

Throwing Bonga, or Dekker or both in that deal would be fairly simple though.

But yeah, I agree Dekker is very likely out on Nov. 5. If he can't earn a minute when we are up by 30 does not bode well for him. Reiterates that we should have kept ish since he did't guarantee until January. He was basically free.

The only reason for keeping Dekker is if we had a consolidation deal on the table like 3 or 4 guys for Simmons.
Marmoset
Veteran
And1: 563

Post#199 » by Marmoset » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:10 pm

I apologize if this has already been answered somewhere, but I have a question about Dragic and the luxury tax. I've read in this thread that we're slightly above the tax line right now. If we trade Dragic, that would be an ideal way to solve the problem. However, I was wondering how it works if we end up buying out Dragic. I believe we're something like $1.7M above the tax, so if we bought out Dragic for let's say $2M less than his total salary for the season, does this mean that we are under the luxury tax, or does the full salary still count towards that?
douggood
General Manager
And1: 5,320

Post#200 » by douggood » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:07 am

Marmoset wrote:I apologize if this has already been answered somewhere, but I have a question about Dragic and the luxury tax. I've read in this thread that we're slightly above the tax line right now. If we trade Dragic, that would be an ideal way to solve the problem. However, I was wondering how it works if we end up buying out Dragic. I believe we're something like $1.7M above the tax, so if we bought out Dragic for let's say $2M less than his total salary for the season, does this mean that we are under the luxury tax, or does the full salary still count towards that?

we would be under the tax if we bought him out in your scenario.

Return to Toronto Raptors