ImageImage

Grizzlies young core one of the league's best?

Moderators: VCfor3, SD2042

psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,790

Re: Grizzlies young core one of the league's best? 

Post#41 » by psman2 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:48 am

It looks like VCfor3 and me get a good star for correctly predicting the roster cuts. This decision could make it harder to match salaries in a trade, but I think we have enough different size contracts to make any trade work.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,972

Post#42 » by VCfor3 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:10 am

Read on Twitter

Yep. Roster is rounded out. Now for the games to start for real here in a few days.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,674

Post#43 » by AussieBuck » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:58 am

I'm here for my Sam Merrill updates.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#44 » by VCfor3 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:45 pm

AussieBuck wrote:I'm here for my Sam Merrill updates.

Well how do you feel about watching g league Memphis Hustle games ha? I think he will mostly get playing time if we are resting people or there are injuries, but he may grab a minute or two every now and again of garbage time. Of the 15 active contracts, Santi will be exclusively in the g league. I think Ziaire will get some time there as well, at least to start the season. That leaves Merrill getting the 13th active player spot in games. When Ziaire is with the team I expect us to have Merrill with the Hustle so that he can get some game time.

Merrill did well this preseason earning his spot. I think the original plan was to cut him and keep Dunn until he looked good and was a sniper from deep. The FO loves a guy who can shoot.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,674

Post#45 » by AussieBuck » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:38 pm

VCfor3 wrote:

Well how do you feel about watching g league Memphis Hustle games ha? I think he will mostly get playing time if we are resting people or there are injuries, but he may grab a minute or two every now and again of garbage time. Of the 15 active contracts, Santi will be exclusively in the g league. I think Ziaire will get some time there as well, at least to start the season. That leaves Merrill getting the 13th active player spot in games. When Ziaire is with the team I expect us to have Merrill with the Hustle so that he can get some game time.

Merrill did well this preseason earning his spot. I think the original plan was to cut him and keep Dunn until he looked good and was a sniper from deep. The FO loves a guy who can shoot.

I like your team but not quite that much. :D Thanks for the info!
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#46 » by VCfor3 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:57 pm

AussieBuck wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:

I like your team but not quite that much. :D Thanks for the info!

To be fair I like my team but not enough to watch Hustle games very often either haha. Much easier to read a quick recap the next day unless someone I specifically am interested in is playing.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,336

Post#47 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:18 pm

Young Core Rankings

Who has the brightest future in the NBA? We ranked each team’s collection of under-25 players based on their projections through the next half-decade.

4. Memphis Grizzlies

Wins above replacement: 87.6
Best under-25 players: De’Anthony Melton (20.9), Ja Morant (19.0), Jaren Jackson Jr. (17.3)
Previous rankings: 2nd, 3rd

For the third consecutive season—a.k.a. ever since they drafted Morant—the Grizzlies rank among the top five young cores. They’re one of just two teams able to make that claim, and they might stay here for a while, as Morant and Jackson are only in their age-22 seasons, and Melton, Desmond Bane (10.3 WAR), and Xavier Tillman (7.9) in their age-23 campaigns.

Melton remains an advanced stats darling who does all the small, subtle things to make his team better when he’s on the floor; if last season’s 3-point improvement, from 28.6 percent to 41.2 percent, is real, he might be even better than a role player long term. Jackson is aiming for a strong return after what was essentially a lost season (just 11 regular-season games) due to injury.

Yet the greatest question mark surrounding the Grizzlies involves Morant: Can he be the best player on a true contender? His projection isn’t sure, in large part because his 3-point stroke hasn’t yet arrived (30.3 percent last season), and the metrics continue to sour on his defense. But Morant is so productive, so electric with the ball—especially in the postseason, when he led the Grizzlies to two victories in the play-in round and then averaged 30 points per game against Utah in Round 1—that it’s easy to dream of far greater accolades down the line. The Grizzlies are young enough to be patient with this core, but this is an important season for a lot of their players’ development.
The Ringer
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#48 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:15 pm

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#49 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:15 am

Read on Twitter
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#50 » by VCfor3 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:48 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

We got Bane with the pick we got from Boston and Boston got Nesmith with the pick they got from us that draft. Funny how it all worked out.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#51 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:03 am

Read on Twitter
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#52 » by VCfor3 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:30 am

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#53 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Feb 6, 2022 6:31 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Memphis Grizzlies