ImageImageImage

Welcome Paul Reed

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

FlyingArrow
Starter
And1: 1,410

Re: Welcome Paul Reed 

Post#261 » by FlyingArrow » Wed Sep 8, 2021 3:28 am

Cool 180 jumps. He's practicing travelling.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,339

Post#262 » by 76ciology » Wed Sep 8, 2021 8:35 am

FlyingArrow wrote:Cool 180 jumps. He's practicing travelling.

After the gather step, this is gonna be the next best thing the league will introduce to change the game.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,339

Post#263 » by 76ciology » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:26 pm

Read on Twitter

It’s been decided. Im going to edit his rating to 86 in NBA2K
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,516

Post#264 » by SixthStreet » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:29 am

I kind of feel bad for Reed. He'd be better served going to some lottery team who gives him the rope to try his crazy skill toolkit on O and be a roving free safety on D and figure out what works against NBA athletes and what doesn't. Here he's going to have to simplify his game significantly to carve out some minutes and I'm not sure it's in his long term best interest to do that.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,063

Post#265 » by Kobblehead » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:54 pm

I honestly don't see any team affording him that freedom. Maybe if he was a 5 star highschool kid who was a 19 year old lotto pick.
blargh
Pro Prospect
And1: 580

Post#266 » by blargh » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:54 pm

If he can carve out a spot as a roll man, he can add all that other stuff over time. He could easily be Montrezl with better defense, if he develops some chemistry with one of our guards.
TTP
Head Coach
And1: 4,398

Post#267 » by TTP » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:02 pm

SixthStreet wrote:I kind of feel bad for Reed. He'd be better served going to some lottery team who gives him the rope to try his crazy skill toolkit on O and be a roving free safety on D and figure out what works against NBA athletes and what doesn't. Here he's going to have to simplify his game significantly to carve out some minutes and I'm not sure it's in his long term best interest to do that.

He'll get his chance to prove himself more. You can bank on Embiid missing ~20 games a year and Reed might start those, plus we'll see him here and there as a different look when Drummond and the bench are struggling or when we need some energy, roles that we've seen Tony Bradley and Richaun Holmes be successful with as buried big prospects of years past.

I don't think it's impossible that Reed ends up in the playoff rotation by the end of the year either if he shows a lot of progress throughout the season. I'm pretty bearish on a Maxey/Drummond bench combo getting things done on either end in the playoffs against top teams, but Reed offers enough in the right ways that I like his longterm outlook - Doc just might not trust him for a while (if ever). I've got to think that Morey is going to be pushing to get guys like Joe and Reed minutes though.
jonjames is a signature bet welcher.

Appostis wrote:You're friend ..is a idiot.
TTP
Head Coach

Post#268 » by TTP » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:27 pm

I also wonder how much Reed is taking from Embiid's game. They are very different physically but Reed has pretty solid potential with his footwork and who better to learn from than Embiid? If Embiid wants to win a championship, one way he can improve our chances is to take Reed under his wing and help him improve his footwork and rim protection and to control some of the chaotic energy Reed plays with. There's upside there, not just for Reed but for the team. Embiid, to a lesser extent, used to be that guy too - when he came into the league he was much more chaotic than he is now, fouling and turning the ball over a ton.

SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,516

Post#269 » by SixthStreet » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:52 am

I think he will get minutes here but with a very short leash. If he tries something spastic on O or misses a rotation trying for a steal Doc is going to bench him fast whereas if on a rebuilding team a mistake or 3 isn't a big deal. Here he's going to be incentivized to homogenize his game to get minutes. It'll get him on the floor faster here but bad for his long term outlook.

To me, his dominance in the G-league means he's the equivalent of a 5-tool baseball prospect and needs to be able to spread his wings. His unorthodox way of playing necessitates the allowance for making mistakes. Doc is not going to allow for that unfortunately.
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,261

Post#270 » by DCasey91 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:05 am

It’s the little things but Holmes was a far superior archetype in the end. Excellent roll man/lob threat/best hands on the team bar none only downside was the foul rate but he was as advertised.

Reed is a classic tweener without the skill to do either or.

Don’t mind energetic bigs but he should model his game to be that. Harrell is a good choice.

Also it’s up to the coaches not to mismanage him. Aim small miss small with Reed (And Drummond for that matter but that ain’t gonna happen lol).
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,748

Post#271 » by Stanford » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:08 pm

Paul Reed will be Christian Wood for some other team in 4 years
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,681

Post#272 » by phillynative » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:06 pm

DCasey91 wrote:It’s the little things but Holmes was a far superior archetype in the end. Excellent roll man/lob threat/best hands on the team bar none only downside was the foul rate but he was as advertised.

Don’t mind energetic bigs but he should model his game to be that. Harrell is a good choice.

Also it’s up to the coaches not to mismanage him. Aim small miss small with Reed (And Drummond for that matter but that ain’t gonna happen lol).

I agree he is a tweener. I don't see him being able to log full time mins at either position. Energy player in the mold of Richaun but more raw and less of a concrete skillset
He has a slight frame and not the leaper Richaun was, that allows Richaun to consistently be a P&R option and rim protector and play more at the 5.
blargh
Pro Prospect
And1: 580

Post#273 » by blargh » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:06 pm

phillynative wrote:
DCasey91 wrote:It’s the little things but Holmes was a far superior archetype in the end. Excellent roll man/lob threat/best hands on the team bar none only downside was the foul rate but he was as advertised.

I agree he is a tweener. I don't see him being able to log full time mins at either position. Energy player in the mold of Richaun but more raw and less of a concrete skillset
He has a slight frame and not the leaper Richaun was, that allows Richaun to consistently be a P&R option and rim protector and play more at the 5.

One man’s “tweener” is another man’s “positional versatility”. The lack of ability to play at the 4 is probably what ended Richuan’s time in Philly. Not enough minutes with all the bigs we drafted.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,681

Post#274 » by phillynative » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:51 pm

blargh wrote:
phillynative wrote:

One man’s “tweener” is another man’s “positional versatility”. The lack of ability to play at the 4 is probably what ended Richuan’s time in Philly. Not enough minutes with all the bigs we drafted.

Positional Versality maybe but being able to man down a position full time, I don't see it. Richaun is stronger, bigger frame and able to leap out the building helps him man down the 5.
TTP
Head Coach

Post#275 » by TTP » Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:53 pm

Had to dig deep to bring this thread out the mud.

I'm as shocked as anyone that it appears Reed's being given the first shot to win the backup center job. It's a shame that his Shaqtin moment overshadowed what was a really nice defensive performance.

Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,098

Post#276 » by Arsenal » Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:29 pm

Reed's shooting in G-League is really promising (.407 3P and .745 FT). Hasn't translated to the NBA yet, but maybe they think there's a chance.

Obviously his vertical spacing / rim rolling skillset is a perfect fit w/Harden on the 2nd unit.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,649

Post#277 » by stormi » Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:36 pm

TTP wrote:It's a shame that his Shaqtin moment overshadowed what was a really nice defensive performance.

Read on Twitter

Seems like Doc had some acknowledgement for his performance. I'd love to see him get minutes playing alongside James Harden.

I think Tisse really could flourish in that Bruce Brown Nets role as well.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,665

Post#278 » by Negrodamus » Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:57 pm

My dude better attach himself to Paul Millsap and hope he rubs off on him. There's something to be learned from a 6'7 PF who has hung around the NBA for 15 years.
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 9,784

Post#279 » by Murray_17 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:59 pm

Read on Twitter

It was fun while it lasted :(
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,665

Post#280 » by Negrodamus » Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:03 pm

Murray_17 wrote:
Read on Twitter

It was fun while it lasted :(

Makes sense, we still don't have a traditional point guard.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers