2021-22 Depth Chart/Team Needs list

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

OscarH
Sophomore
And1: 31

Re: 2021-22 Depth Chart/Team Needs list 

Post#21 » by OscarH » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:50 am

Sacramento Kings

Fox (35) / Mitchell (20)
Haliburton (35) / Davis (20) / Ramsey
Hield (30) / King / Woodard
Barnes (35) / Bagley (20) / Harkless / Metu
Holmes (30) / Thompson or Len (15) / Jones / Queta

Walton is pretty consistant at running a 9 man rotation, Thompson or Len will be based on matchup.

Pretty clearly still looking for wing sized players that can defend and just more infusion of high IQ players.

Imagine Sac plays small alot (already around 30% 3 guard last year), Bagley off the bench may help get him some sort of trade market and will lessen his negative impact defensively having him not play alongside Buddy and going against lesser players, Could see Harkless taking his spot early on.

Davis likely ends close game over Hield, he still offers the spacing, but added defensive playmaking.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,423

Post#22 » by ecuhus1981 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:48 pm

Could we add a running list of currently injured players with these breakdowns? I heard yesterday about one player that won't be ready for the start of the season that I didn't know before, I wonder how many there are that would at least temporarily alter with charts.

For the Nets, James Harden and Kyrie Irving are expected to be fully recovered from their injuries in time for training camp next week. Our front office is pretty quiet about injury news, but the guys have been working out publicly so they should be a full go.

If I were to venture some noteworthy guesses (please reply if you have better Intel):

Kawhi Leonard - no firm indication whatsoever, probably will miss the whole season???

Klay Thompson - our until early 2022 was the last official word IIRC, so... late January, early February?

Jamal Murray - I hear he may return just in time for the playoffs, is that risky?

Pascal Siakam - returning around December I think, are they being cautious or is he seriously injured? Do they view Scottie as insurance???

Gordon Hayward - still injured?

Jonathan Isaac - no idea, please fill me in

TJ Warren - I heard he had a setback in his timeline, out indefinitely again?

DeAndre Hunter - clean bill of health?

Markelle Fultz - sounds like he may miss a handful of games, so early November?

Derrick White - ready for the start of the season?

Danny Green - they re-signed him, so I assume he's back 100%?

Coby White - missing the start of the season?

Donte Divincenzo - fully fit?

Thomas Bryant - out until midseason?
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,870

Post#23 » by jayu70 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:28 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:Could we add a running list of currently injured players with these breakdowns? I heard yesterday about one player that won't be ready for the start of the season that I didn't know before, I wonder how many there are that would at least temporarily alter with charts.

For the Nets, James Harden and Kyrie Irving are expected to be fully recovered from their injuries in time for training camp next week. Our front office is pretty quiet about injury news, but the guys have been working out publicly so they should be a full go.

If I were to venture some noteworthy guesses (please reply if you have better Intel):

?

Reports are that Hunter will be ready for the start of Training camp and has been working out at the team facility
Onyeka Okungwu is out until the end of January from surgery to repair a torn labrum.
oldncreaky
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 4,318

Post#24 » by oldncreaky » Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:58 pm

Toronto Raptors

Surprised no one else has taken them, but I'll take a stab because it is pretty straightforward: just follow the contract money.

Starters: Khem Birch, Pascal Siakim (injured, expected to return before Dec), OG Anunoby, Gary Trent Jr, Fred Vanvleet

All of the starters have about 4-5 years experience and are all on multi-year contracts (not rookie deal) that run at least 2 more years. The FO talks about giving this group a 2 year run to see what they have

Bench: Precious Achiuwa, Chris Boucher, Scottie Barnes, Goran Dragic, Malachi Flynn.
Precious, Scottie and Malachi are on rookie contracts and part of the core; Boucher might be; and Dragic is expiring, and should only rent a place in Toronto

Depth: Svi Myhailuk, Delano Banton, Justin Champagnie (2-way), David Johnson (2-way)
Except for Svi, rookies who will be given a year or 2 to develop in the G League

The rest: Ish Wainwright, Fred Gillespie, Yuta Watanabe, Sam Dekker, Isaac Bonga, Reggie Perry
Competing for a spot in training camp. Perry is likely headed to the G-League. The other 5 are non-guaranteed or partially guaranteed min-level contracts, and 3 of them will make the cut, If I had to guess, Yuta and Ish make it, and the lost roster spot is a toss-up between Fred G (if they need C depth) or Dekker (if they need shooting).

Outlook:
Too good to tank, and not a contender, but really young in terms of years in the league -- I think Yuta has the 6th most career MP. Almost every guy on the roster comes with questions, but a lot of the answers could be positive. The offence might be hard to watch, and hopefully improves to about league-average by the end of the year. The defence probably starts out around league-average, and has the opportunity to become outstanding as they learn how to play together and leverage their strengths: this Raptors squad is extremely long (14 players in camp with 7-foot+ wingspans), fast and agile. The squad is stocked with starters and bench players who should be plus defenders, and Trent is really the only core player who is a concern on defence.

For fans of defence, this will be an interesting team to watch, and Coach Nurse will have a lot of options to play with. For fans of offence, I predict it will be a painful watching experience.

Team Needs:
1) Time to develop. Take out Dragic, and the other 19 players have played a collective 40,000 minutes in the NBA, and average about 1.5 years in the league.

2) Centre? The lack of centre play killed the Raptors last year, particularly on the boards, as they had the league's worst DReb%. When they got Birch and Gillespie after the TDL, they were still bottom-third, but good enough so that rebounding no longer cost them most games. Was it the C play last year, or was it playing a bunch of lineup with 3 or even 4 small guards? (Poor 6'3" Norm Powell played most of the season at F). Is a decent backup (Birch) and an unproven 2nd year Player (Achiuwa) enough when most line-ups will feature 3 or 4 players with 7-foot wingspans? I guess we'll see . . .

3) Go-to scorer. As it has been since Kawhi left, the Raptors don't really have a strong go-to scorer who can generate offence in the half court and against playoff-level defences. Probably an issue for next year, as this only really matters after the first round of the playoffs -- maybe in the spring of 2023.
Vinnie became the Microwave in May 1985, zapping the Celtics in Joe Louis
jayu70
RealGM

Post#25 » by jayu70 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:16 pm

jayu70 wrote:
ecuhus1981 wrote:Could we add a running list of currently injured players with these breakdowns? I heard yesterday about one player that won't be ready for the start of the season that I didn't know before, I wonder how many there are that would at least temporarily alter with charts.

?

Reports are that Hunter will be ready for the start of Training camp and has been working out at the team facility
Onyeka Okungwu is out until the end of January from surgery to repair a torn labrum.

Update:
Schlenk noted that De’Andre Hunter (knee surgery) will not be a full go at the start of camp, but has progressed to playing 1-on-1 and should be ready for the start of the season. Additionally, the GM added that Bogdan Bogdanovic (PRP injection in knee), Clint Capela (PRP injection in Achilles) and Kevin Huerter (ankle procedure) will all also be limited to start camp. Schlenk did note that he expects all four players to be ready to go by opening night, which is Oct. 21 when Atlanta hosts the Dallas Mavericks.

Schlenk also said that Onyeka Okongwu (shoulder surgery) is hoping to be back by late December as a personal goal, but the team remains on the original timeline that tracked him to be back some time in January.

The GM added that the Hawks will be 100% vaccinated for COVID-19 before the regular season. He notes that the entire staff and all players are already vaccinated, other than one player who is receiving his second shot next week.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#26 » by Ballerhogger » Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:22 am

Lakers look fine other than defensive wing SF/PF back up.. Signed Austin reeveus for more shooting . Plenty of rim protection and guard play Nunn/Westbrook. Wouldn't mind another combo guard.
aguiar95
Rookie
And1: 548

Post#27 » by aguiar95 » Fri Oct 1, 2021 12:07 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Got to say ordering this properly especially at center is tough because of the coaching change. But here goes.

KP/WCS/Powell/Boban/Gilmore
Finney-Smith/Kleber/Omoruyi(2 way)
Bullock/Green
THJ/Brown/Burke/Terry
Doncic/Brunson

Needs: secondary star still, one more playmaker, less centers. Looking over the depth chart I'm guessing KP plays half his time at PF(ugh), allowing Dorian to play some SF. With no changes here is my expected playoff rotation:

KP(36)/WCS(12)
DFS(26)/Kleber(22)
Bullock(34)/DFS(14)
THJ(38)/Brunson(10)
Luka(41)/Brunson(7)

Edit: Nate Hinton was waived from his 2-way. So once again evidence why I tell posters not to take their FO at face value all the time. Dallas told us at the draft they didn't try and acquire a pick because they viewed their 4 rookies from last season all as keepers. Bey and Hinton already gone since they told us that....

Update: Powell will start and KP will play the 4 to start the year. Probably something like:

Doncic/Brunson/Burke/McLughlin*
Hardaway/Bullock/Terry
DFS/Brown/Green/Omoruyi*
Porzingis/Kleber
Powell/WCS/Boban/Brown
ZombieKilla
Rookie
And1: 1,085

Post#28 » by ZombieKilla » Sat Oct 2, 2021 4:22 pm

Houston Rockets:

C - Theis, Sengun, Garuba
PF - Wood, House, Martin
SF - Tate, Nwaba
SG - Green, Gordon, Exum, Thomas
PG - Porter Jr, Augustine, Christopher, (Wall)

16 players under contract right now.
House, Augustine or Exum could be traded or Thomas could be released.

The Rockets are rebuilding, so they need to trade the vets (Wall/Gordon/Augustine).
Maybe House, but he's still only 28.
Small Forward is the position most in need of an upgrade.
Young core they are building around: Wood, Porter Jr, Green, & Sengun (Tate & Martin).
They have plenty of scoring with Wood, Green, Porter Jr, Gordon and Sengun.
Theis, Tate, Nwaba, Garuba and Exum are excellent defensive players.
Gordon (on ball) and Martin (shot blocker) as well.
Christopher & Garuba will probably spend a lot of time in G-League and Wall will not play, so the other 12 are likely the active roster.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#29 » by jayu70 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:26 pm

TLC gets the last spot for the Hawks.
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,517

Post#30 » by Devilanche » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:03 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:I’ll give OKC a shot but someone come along and correct me:

SGA/Maledon/Mann
Dort/Jerome/Wiggins
Giddey/Kenrich/Deck
Poku/Bazley/JRE
Favors/Muscala/Roby

I think it’s possible that Poku starts at the 3 and Giddey comes off the bench, but seems unlikely. I also think Favors starts but he’s a flip candidate.

SGA/Maledon/Mann
Giddey/Jerome/Krejci
Dort/Kenrich/Deck
Bazley/Poku/Muscala
Favors/Roby/JRE

I’m going with this
- Dort to take on the stronger wing from the start and if giddey shows he can defend at the nba level he will take on the bigger / stronger wing thereafter
- Bazley PF spot to lose and Poku will be given the ball more with the bench
- Favors will be phase out along the season as the team get more competitive and until then it’s a rotation of either Roby or JRE as the backup C game to game ( pretty even split of minutes here with even some Bazely/Poku minutes at center.)

Prediction :
- Kenrich will be traded by trade deadline together with Favors and maybe one of Maledon/Jerome to give more minutes to the depth thereafter. Trading of maledon/Jerome will be based on how Mann/Krejci performs in the G-league.
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,606

Post#31 » by toooskies » Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:38 pm

Cleveland update:
The Cavs are playing a variety of lineups and it doesn't really help to use a traditional depth chart as the Cavs aren't afraid of playing guys out-of-position. So instead, let's just say who's playing and who's not.

Starters: Garland/Sexton/Markkanen/Mobley/Allen
Rotation: Rubio/Okoro/Osman/Love
Bench: Stevens, Wade, Windler, Valentine, Pangos, Davis, Fall, Nembhard (in rough order from most to least likely to see the floor)

I don't see any need to move a guy right now, but Rubio is particularly vital to the early-season success the Cavs are seeing so I would not expect him to be going anywhere.
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,099

Post#32 » by Statlanta » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:50 pm

Orlando Magic
PG: Markelle Fultz/Cole Anthony/Jalen Suggs/RJ Hampton
SG: Terrence Ross/Gary Harris/Michael Carter-Williams/E’twan Moore
SF: Franz Wagner/Ignas Brazdekis/Admiral Schofield
PF: Wendell Carter Jr./Jonathan Isaac/Chuma Okeke
C: Mo Bamba/Mo Wagner/Robin Lopez

Needs: Backup Small forward, Young SG. Blue Chip Prospect/Star Player.
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,219

Post#33 » by vege » Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:35 am

I know it's a little bit too late but oh well, this should help people interested enough to read

C: Isaiah Stewart / Kelly Olynyk / Luka Garza
PF: Jerami Grant / Marvin Bagley / Isaiah Livers
SF: Saddiq Bey / Hamidou Diallo /
SG: Cade Cunningham / Frank Jackson / Rodney McGruder
PG: Cory Joseph / Killian Hayes / Saben Lee

Detroit needs are a starter caliber center who can protect the rim and is a good rebounder, also a guard to share the backcourt with Cade Cunningham, the team has been trying to develop Hayes but he is not at an acceptable level, Casey like Hayes size, defensive potential and his playmaking abilities, so those should be the traits the team could look for, if they go after another guard.

Saben Lee has been a monster in the GLeague, so he have potential to contribute next season.

If Detroit add a starter caliber center, Olynyk would be a 3rd stringer. Stewart is too small and have terrible hands to start, but his energy, rebounding and mobility are very good and he would be a fantastic 20 mpg center off the bench, so Olynyk would either slide to the backup PF role or would be a 3rd stringer center paid 12+ mil per year. If Olynyk is the backup PF, Bagley is gone, and we spent 2 2nds to acquire him at the deadline just to let him go after a few games.

Cory Joseph is a solid backup PG and a leader and Casey's favorite, so, once we acquire a guard, I am unsure what would happen with Hayes, he is the worst of the 3 PGs (Lee/Joseph/Hayes) but he has a lot of potential and have showed some flashes. Frank Jackson is very inconsistent, Diallo has been very productive, is an unselfish player and is super athletic, his issue is, he can't shoot.

Saddiq Bey had a terrible start, but since December he has been a beast and he is our leading scorer, he is trying to expand his game, but his 3 point shooting is insane, he play really well with Cade and Grant. He is a terrible defender, and he is inconsistent finishing around the rim, he is not super athletic so those are his main issues. Bey and Diallo are very good rebounders.

Grant have changed his role, he has been more efficient and he is putting a lot more enrgy on defense, since he was back from him injury, he has been passing more the ball, and is taking less shots. He still take too many long 2's and is a terrible rebounder. He is Weaver's favorite, so it's very unlikely that he goes anywhere. He's likely getting a big extension.

This is Cade's team, he is good, much better than what his numbers show. He is still a little inconsistent, and had 2 injuries this season, he came back rusty from both injuries. He is not super athletic, but his bbiq is great, he is super crafty and a good shooter and good defender (sometimes he get lost in rotations, he is a rookie).
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,826

Post#34 » by Norm2953 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:21 pm

Blazers:

SF Little, Hart
PF Grant, Winslow
C Nurkic (UFA), Watford
SG Simons (RFA), Hart, Sharpe
PG Lillard, Simons

Assuming Nurkic and Simons return to Portland, Portland's rotation is fairly well set. There is a chance
Keon Johnson might get the 4th guard spot if Portland essentially red-shirts Sharpe much like they did
with Simons when he was drafted in 2018.

Portland does have needs for other than the often injured Little, they have nobody physically who can
play the vital 3/D role for Grant as a combo forward is more PF than SF. It's possible Portland takes
a chance on Joe Ingles (ACL) who they got in a trade who is a UFA.

Nurkic is also an UFA who likely will return but like Little, is often injured. Portland could use some
more length and a backup center and has their full MLE to use on someone like Isiah Hartenstein
who was born in Eugene, Oregon and lived in Oregon until his family moved to Germany when he
was 11. He's now 24 and a great fit with Portland's emerging young core of Simons, Sharpe and Little.

One other thing to mention is the Eric Bledsoe contract. His contract will either be fully guaranteed at
$19 Million by 7/10 or Portland can let him go for $3.9 Million.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#35 » by loserX » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:50 pm

De-stickying this one too: the season is over!

Could probably start a 2022-23 version, but maybe makes more sense to wait until FA has begun, rather than everyone shooting at a moving target with rosters in flux :dontknow:

Return to Trades and Transactions