And1: 4,192

Damian Lillard: I'm Not Leaving Portland 

Post#1 » by BNM » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:22 am

monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,221

Re: Damian Lillard: I'm Not Leaving Portland 

Post#2 » by monopoman » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:45 am

I mean at this point his loyalty is one of his key things, him going against his word in his prime I think would make him look very bad.

Sure, every player talks up the city they play for at least somewhat, but Lillard has gone to bat as a one team man again and again. Now, that doesn't mean that he is a Blazer until he retires without question, but it makes it far more likely than a typical star level player.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,826

Post#3 » by Norm2953 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:57 am

It does seem like much of his saga this summer stemmed from his participation with the Olympic
team for guys undoubtedly tried to recruit him to their teams. Too bad he can't seem to recruit
anyone to ask to go here.
Matt800
Rookie
And1: 317

Post#4 » by Matt800 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:17 am

Lillard saying he wasn't going to ask for a trade is great, and its also interesting how it could affect the trade market. The Sixers have reportedly been holding out for him, so now what are they going to do?
monopoman
RealGM

Post#5 » by monopoman » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:48 am

Matt800 wrote:Lillard saying he wasn't going to ask for a trade is great, and its also interesting how it could affect the trade market. The Sixers have reportedly been holding out for him, so now what are they going to do?

The Sixers were kidding themselves either way, I think Simmons for Lillard is ridiculously lopsided in the Sixers favor, even with multiple picks attached.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,151

Post#6 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:23 am

Matt800 wrote:Lillard saying he wasn't going to ask for a trade is great, and its also interesting how it could affect the trade market. The Sixers have reportedly been holding out for him, so now what are they going to do?

A conspiracy minded person might see it as Lillard trying to get Morey to stop holding out and do the deal in front of him.. not that I am a conspiracy minded person and have my doubts if he even has any interest in losing his buddy CJ for the Sixers malcontent, but I thought the timing was interesting.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,935

Post#7 » by DusterBuster » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:43 am

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:

A conspiracy minded person might see it as Lillard trying to get Morey to stop holding out and do the deal in front of him.. not that I am a conspiracy minded person and have my doubts if he even has any interest in losing his buddy CJ for the Sixers malcontent, but I thought the timing was interesting.

We’re his quotes about it today or did he give those quotes to the Quick article throughout camp? I read the Quick article from the Athletic, it doesn’t sound like a piece he came up with just today, but one that’s been in the works for awhile. So probably just fun timing for Quicks article to come out… but I enjoy a good nutty conspiracy like every other red blooded American
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#8 » by DusterBuster » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:46 am

They wanted Beal too. So maybe that. Latest from Shams (or Woj, forget) was that Morey has altogether pulled Simmons from the market and isn’t shipping him anymore. Likely because his value is trashed atm and likely as a power play to force Ben to give even a little effort on the court before he will go back to trying to fulfill his trade request.

Basically, it’s gonna be a long ride, it’ll be interesting to see who blinks first.
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 307

Post#9 » by HoopsFanAZ » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:12 am

DusterBuster wrote:

They wanted Beal too. So maybe that. Latest from Shams (or Woj, forget) was that Morey has altogether pulled Simmons from the market and isn’t shipping him anymore. Likely because his value is trashed atm and likely as a power play to force Ben to give even a little effort on the court before he will go back to trying to fulfill his trade request.

Basically, it’s gonna be a long ride, it’ll be interesting to see who blinks first.

Both. CJ + 2 1st + 2 pick swaps (protected lottery to some degree). Face saving and fair.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,808

Post#10 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:56 pm

HoopsFanAZ wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:

Both. CJ + 2 1st + 2 pick swaps (protected lottery to some degree). Face saving and fair.

Thats pretty rich for me. End of the day a roster with Simmons in place of CJ is better on defense and better in the open court, but it really leaves the team with a single reliable 20ppg scorer. I think making a move for Simmons is worth it for the shakeup value, and think it leaves us with a team that can contend should all the cards fall in our favor. But its still a flawed team that would lean VERY heavily on Dame when a bucket is needed and a ton would depend on Simons developing into a true 6th man rather than simply a 3PT bomber.

I suppose I would make that deal if all the picks had lotto protection. But otherwise, no dice for me.
BNM
Analyst

Post#11 » by BNM » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:16 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:
HoopsFanAZ wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:

Thats pretty rich for me. End of the day a roster with Simmons in place of CJ is better on defense and better in the open court, but it really leaves the team with a single reliable 20ppg scorer. I think making a move for Simmons is worth it for the shakeup value, and think it leaves us with a team that can contend should all the cards fall in our favor. But its still a flawed team that would lean VERY heavily on Dame when a bucket is needed and a ton would depend on Simons developing into a true 6th man rather than simply a 3PT bomber.

I suppose I would make that deal if all the picks had lotto protection. But otherwise, no dice for me.

In the 31 games he started in TOR last season, Norman Powell averaged 22.7 ppg with a TS% greater than .660. He could be a viable 2nd option if CJ is traded. Playing in POR he's been a 3rd option and playing out of position.

In theory, Simmons would help create open looks and easy buckets for his teammates, especially in transition.

I'd also like to see a bounce back year from Nurk. This is a contract year for him, and we keep hearing about a more active role for him under Billups. If he can get back to scoring 15+ ppg like he did in 2018-19, it would be a big boost for the team.

In spite of all his shooting woes, Ben Simmons is a career 15.9 ppg scorer with a career TS% of .579.

I think having a more balanced attack with Dame at about 27 ppg, Norm at 20 ppg and Nurk and Simmons both at about 15 ppg, with improved ball movement and better defense would make the team considerably better overall - in theory.
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Post#12 » by Sinobas » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:13 am

See how he feels after the season. I don't see this team making the playoffs unless they make a big trade. CJ and Nurk have to go.
monopoman
RealGM

Post#13 » by monopoman » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:12 am

Sinobas wrote:See how he feels after the season. I don't see this team making the playoffs unless they make a big trade. CJ and Nurk have to go.

So how did they make the playoffs last year or the year before that?

On paper this is probably the strongest of those 3 teams, and yet people now think they can't even make the playoffs.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#14 » by DusterBuster » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:29 pm

monopoman wrote:
Sinobas wrote:See how he feels after the season. I don't see this team making the playoffs unless they make a big trade. CJ and Nurk have to go.

So how did they make the playoffs last year or the year before that?

On paper this is probably the strongest of those 3 teams, and yet people now think they can't even make the playoffs.

Is it? On paper last years team looked a lot stronger imo.

Regardless, that's pretty much a matter of opinion, so no real answer there. What I would say is I'm a bit more skeptical of playoffs this year because of the new coaching staff tbh. I definitely feel like there's going to be a pretty significant learning curve for the team and coaching staff to click on the same page. I fear the early struggles here in Oct - Dec could have the Blazers playing catchup for the back half of the season... they may still make it, but I could see them fighting just for that final play-in spot area.
BNM
Analyst

Post#15 » by BNM » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:58 pm

I get that's it's just one game, but why the Nurk hate? He had a very efficient 20 points on 10 FGA, 14 rebounds and made some big hustle plays in the 4th quarter during POR's late game run. It wasn't Nurk Fever level domination, but 20 points, 14 rebounds, 2 assists and a block in 28 minutes doesn't exactly suck.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,314

Post#16 » by Wizenheimer » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:06 pm

Nurkic was fine last night. At this point I think you just have to accept that he's going to have a lower shooting efficiency around the basket than his size warrants; he lacks patience with the ball down low and that's not changing it appears
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,314

Post#17 » by Wizenheimer » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:40 pm

while Dame is staying in Portland, the same can't be said for Dame's shooting stroke last night

first regular season game as a married man....uh oh
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#18 » by DusterBuster » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:44 pm

I'm definitely a bit concerned this team may have a bit of a monkey developing on it's back... After going winless in the offseason, than losing the home opener... if they lost the next game or two as well, they'll be nearing double digit losses before their first thing. That's a thing that could get into their heads... might be in Dame's head too if he's really forcing things to try and get that first HC win for Billups.
BNM
Analyst

Post#19 » by BNM » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:01 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:Nurkic was fine last night. At this point I think you just have to accept that he's going to have a lower shooting efficiency around the basket than his size warrants; he lacks patience with the ball down low and that's not changing it appears

Do we have to accept it, and is it really that bad? Sure, it's frustrating to see a 7-footer miss bunnies at the rim, but In his six seasons in POR, Nurk's FG% from 0 - 3 feet is .617. That's not ideal for a player his size, but not as horrendous as many make it out to be.

You are right though, Nurk needs to slow down and not rush things especially when he has a smaller player on him. Nurk showed signs of that his second season in POR. He started off the year terribly, but gradually slowed down and finished the season with a career high of .643 FG% from 0 - 3 feet. Given everything else Nurk does well, it would be great if he could get back to that level of efficiency around the basket. The problem is, he's rarely been healthy long enough to get to a similar comfort level.

No doubt, a player like Enes Kanter is a better finisher near the basket than Nurk. Perhaps we got spoiled by Kanter's efficiency around the basket while in POR, but his first season here his .632 from 0 - 3 feet wasn't that much better than Nurk's .617 over 6 seasons, and below Nurk's .643 mark in 2017-18. Of course, Kanter is a liability on defense and becomes unplayable against certain matchups in the playoffs, so overall you take Nurk and his occasional brain fart near the basket. Hopefully, this season he will gradually slow down and get his shooting percentage near the basket back in that .640 - .650 range
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,381

Post#20 » by Myth » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:02 pm

Would have been nice if he said it this boldly before free agency. Harder to recruit if the star seems on the fence.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers