ImageImageImageImageImage

Rui Hachimura 2.0

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,901

Re: Rui Hachimura 2.0 

Post#181 » by CobraCommander » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:32 pm

2Fluffy4U wrote:So.. how about demon slayer? just finished watching s01 and it is so well made.. (animation wise).. I wonder how culture is being portrayed via Anime.. Demon Slayer has the expected 'never give up' 'thinking and not muscles' 'family is most important' 'being shy in front of girls is a given'.. and my hero academia Anime is like having D.Trump washed all over the tv screen and yelling Detroit!!? (sorry for derailing)

Well let’s hope Rui doesn’t think he is the flame hashira because we will never see him again

I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#182 » by I_Like_Dirt » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:47 pm

nate33 wrote:
I_Like_Dirt wrote:
nate33 wrote:Yup. I think the Information Age peaked at about 1998. Email was widespread (which genuinely boosted corporate efficiency), most major newspapers were available online, Amazon was just selling books, Ebay was a useful national flea market, and MapQuest was available so you can print directions. Since then, I think the vast majority of "advances" in information technology have had more negative effects than positive. Facebook and Instagram have made us all depressed (because everyone else posts their best moments, making our own lives seem mundane). Twitter has everyone believing the world is going to end tomorrow. Amazon has destroyed the retail industry. Google is spying on us. And online video gaming has become so prevalent that kids don't go outside anymore so they end up obese and anti-social.
Not to derail this too much but I mostly agree except for the online video games part. Even back in 1998 it had been identified that kids who didn't play video games were often the anti-social ones. And there are plenty of gamers who are healthy weights and obese non-gamers and this was true back then too. AK47 loved his World of Warcarft back in the day. Diet is the bigger driver by a fair amount.

Fair point about gaming and social development. These days, kids put on their headsets, get into a Discord with 6 other guys, and play a game together and it's actually a fairly social endeavor. I know my son endured the lockdowns fairly painlessly because he had online interaction with his school friends. (It also helped that he ran cross country where he wasn't required to wear a mask while running, so he still got to talk to his friend face-to-face.)
I've been thinking about this a bit the past day and the more I think, the more convinced I become that's it's really the ability to get and hoard data that's become the issue more than anything and it works across the board for basically all the issues you raised. Data could be used for mass benefit too but it just isn't. Instead it's been used to divide and conquer on a mass scale and it's filtered in everywhere.
Bucket! Bucket!
J-Ves
Veteran
And1: 1,109

Post#183 » by J-Ves » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:24 pm

Season saved
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,351

Post#184 » by Kanyewest » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:40 pm

Not sure why Rui took time off- some are speculating that it is because of online abuse https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2021/05/06/basketball/nba/hachimura-racist-messages/
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,901

Post#185 » by CobraCommander » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:03 pm

Kanyewest wrote:Not sure why Rui took time off- some are speculating that it is because of online abuse https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2021/05/06/basketball/nba/hachimura-racist-messages/

Not condoning the evil in the world but racism online is like Wednesday coming right after Tuesday. I hope these comments didn’t hurt him to the point that he would risk his job. If so, I hope he gets a good therapist and goes dark online. Because you can’t WOW,LOL,COD or even 2K without hearing the N word...and I know he online games....so it might be this AND other stuff

Oh and thanks Kanye...you still better than Drake in my book
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#186 » by prime1time » Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:22 pm

Imo, this really is Hachimura's chance to break through.
Read on Twitter
?s=20
What are people's expectations for Hachimura this season? If Rui can give us what he gave us in the playoffs, we will be a very solid team.
;ab_channel=Z.Highlights
;ab_channel=Z.Highlights
I know some people believe in Kuzma over Rui, but I'd point out Kuzma's numbers last year in the playoffs. 23.5% from the field and 17.4% from 3. Kuzma strikes me a stretch 4 who doesn't have the skillset to create in the halfcourt. Rui on the other hand does have the skillset to create in the halfcourt, and I think Unsled Jr should be able to really exploit Rui's skillset.

The motion offense will help to create mismatches. And Rui's a solid enough player to where the opposing defenses will need to bring help if he has a mismatch. More than anything what I want from Hachimura this year is efficiency. If opposing defenses are defending him in a way that makes it easy for him to score, he should attack. But he shouldn't force tough shots. I want to see an increase in his 3-point percentage, fg%,increase in his assist rate and an increase in his rebounding.

After following Rui closely for 2 years, he really can't ask for a better situation. Hopefully preparation meets opportunity and he'll be able to have a great season.
Stat line 18/7/4 on 49/37/80
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,320

Post#187 » by nate33 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:34 pm

I'm a Rui believer. I recognize the naysayers' arguments that he is inefficient, doesn't rebound, and is slow to react in help defense; and I see that his numbers haven't really improved over two years; but there is something about the way he has improved via the eye test that has me excited. He looked much better late last season than he did earlier in the year or in his rookie year.

In a way, he kind of reminds me of Beal's development. Statistically, Beal didn't improve one bit over his first 4 seasons, but he looked better each year while posting the same mediocre numbers. And then, seemingly out of nowhere, it all came together and he was suddenly an All-Star caliber player.

Maybe I'm just a delusional homer, but I feel like there's a good chance Rui does the same thing.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,348

Post#188 » by doclinkin » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:57 pm

If Wes can re-train Rui in some fundamental basic habits then Rui has the raw tools to be an excellent player. It will be even tougher for him to get up to speed and develop chemistry with a squad who has been working together for a few months longer and have learned the terminology and concepts of a new system at each end. KCP and Beal have known each other since the U16 USA Basketball days. Harrell and Dinwiddie are basketball lifers. Bertans and Deni have grown up in the game in Euro play. My concern with Rui is that the coach won't trust him or go to him for him to get the reps and crack the rotation since he has still been learning the rudimentary aspects of the game even before having to adapt to a new high-level complex version. Even as a native english speaker Wes loses me at times substituting coachspeak jargon as if we all understand it. He is going to have to break that into chunks and remember when he was a student of the game. Rui is a step behind -- even on the Japanese team when on defense, he tends to stand around and watch as if he were not on court while the game is happening. That guy who scored, he was your responsibility to stop.
Wes talks about watching film with his father and it taking him years before it began to click and he could analyze what was happening. He is said to be a good teacher of details, so there is good hope here.

My sense about Rui is that he learns by imitation. If he can model a Pick and Roll game from Montrez Harrell he will be doing pretty well. Likewise Thomas Bryant playing with energy. IF he can be inspired by Gafford. If he can hit the 3 the way he did in the playoffs.

But no, he still does not have the skillset to create in any real way. Doesn't pass. Doesn't screen. Doesn't set picks. Doesn't move off the ball. Doesn't cut. Doesn't make himself open for the pass. Has no footwork or moves down low.

You can walk your way through all of the basic basketball plays with an advanced search for Rui's name and you will see him way down in the 30th percentiles for any of them:

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/roll-man/?CF=PLAYER_NAME*E*rui&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&SeasonYear=2020-21

He simply does not have the skill to match his talent yet. His go to move is to dribble at the defense then pull up with a fadeaway. He has only just started to shoot when the ball reaches him outside instead of dribbling into a defended long two. He really did himself a disservice modeling his game after Carmelo. Even international Carmelo.

Still, it was a baseball scout who said if you showed him 2 prospects one with great technique and habits and another who was sloppy with terrible habits but they both had similar effect, give him the sloppy one all the time because once he filters out the mistakes his upside will be higher. If Rui can learn under Wes then he has a chance to be special. I'm just cautious since Head Coach Wes doesn't have the time to work with a guy one on one the way assistant coach Wes did. And head coach Wes will likely tend to rely on the guys who can get it done on court in live minutes when he needs to assemble a winning team that can adjust on the fly to his instructions.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#189 » by Dat2U » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:59 pm

Rui is more talented but Kuz probably thinks he's better while Rui might not have the same confidence level.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#190 » by FAH1223 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:59 pm

Read on Twitter
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,929

Post#191 » by Frichuela » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:32 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Very disappointing. I read somewhere else speculation that he may not play until late Nov/early Dec…
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,320

Post#192 » by nate33 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:40 pm

Frichuela wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Very disappointing. I read somewhere else speculation that he may not play until late Nov/early Dec…

Yeah, this surprised and disappointed me.

I had assumed that Hachimura was at least staying in shape and working out. I guess not.
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#193 » by WallToWall » Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:50 am

FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

If this is true, then I am very disappointed for him, and with him. This was to be his breakout season, and now he may have to wait. The good news is that he has some good coaches capable of teaching him, and he can learn while he gets in basketball shape. Still, very dissatisfied with this news.
Maybe he has some things going on, I don’t know. If so, I wish him well as he tackles whatever it is. Still, the end result is the end result.
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#194 » by prime1time » Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:15 am

doclinkin wrote:If Wes can re-train Rui in some fundamental basic habits then Rui has the raw tools to be an excellent player. It will be even tougher for him to get up to speed and develop chemistry with a squad who has been working together for a few months longer and have learned the terminology and concepts of a new system at each end. KCP and Beal have known each other since the U16 USA Basketball days. Harrell and Dinwiddie are basketball lifers. Bertans and Deni have grown up in the game in Euro play. My concern with Rui is that the coach won't trust him or go to him for him to get the reps and crack the rotation since he has still been learning the rudimentary aspects of the game even before having to adapt to a new high-level complex version. Even as a native english speaker Wes loses me at times substituting coachspeak jargon as if we all understand it. He is going to have to break that into chunks and remember when he was a student of the game. Rui is a step behind -- even on the Japanese team when on defense, he tends to stand around and watch as if he were not on court while the game is happening. That guy who scored, he was your responsibility to stop.
Wes talks about watching film with his father and it taking him years before it began to click and he could analyze what was happening. He is said to be a good teacher of details, so there is good hope here.

My sense about Rui is that he learns by imitation. If he can model a Pick and Roll game from Montrez Harrell he will be doing pretty well. Likewise Thomas Bryant playing with energy. IF he can be inspired by Gafford. If he can hit the 3 the way he did in the playoffs.

But no, he still does not have the skillset to create in any real way. Doesn't pass. Doesn't screen. Doesn't set picks. Doesn't move off the ball. Doesn't cut. Doesn't make himself open for the pass. Has no footwork or moves down low.

You can walk your way through all of the basic basketball plays with an advanced search for Rui's name and you will see him way down in the 30th percentiles for any of them:

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/roll-man/?CF=PLAYER_NAME*E*rui&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&SeasonYear=2020-21

He simply does not have the skill to match his talent yet. His go to move is to dribble at the defense then pull up with a fadeaway. He has only just started to shoot when the ball reaches him outside instead of dribbling into a defended long two. He really did himself a disservice modeling his game after Carmelo. Even international Carmelo.

Still, it was a baseball scout who said if you showed him 2 prospects one with great technique and habits and another who was sloppy with terrible habits but they both had similar effect, give him the sloppy one all the time because once he filters out the mistakes his upside will be higher. If Rui can learn under Wes then he has a chance to be special. I'm just cautious since Head Coach Wes doesn't have the time to work with a guy one on one the way assistant coach Wes did. And head coach Wes will likely tend to rely on the guys who can get it done on court in live minutes when he needs to assemble a winning team that can adjust on the fly to his instructions.

Wouldn't it be easier just to cut him?
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,996

Post#195 » by dckingsfan » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:00 pm

Note: if you are going through mental health issues, you aren't going to have the inclination or energy to put in high intensity workouts to stay in "game shape".

This shouldn't be a surprise - well, not if you believed Rui that he had some issues to work though.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,348

Post#196 » by doclinkin » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:08 pm

prime1time wrote:

Why would we do that? Even without advanced skills he has shown ability and utility. And remarkable potential. He is our best one-on-one defender against players 6'7" and up. He has shown an ability to get streaky hot from outside. And he has an excellent situation here where he is working with a coach who is notable in teaching fundamentals that Rui will need to succeed for the rest of his career. Yeah he is starting late and will get less time, but that given his current mindstate, maybe taking the pressure off is not a terrible thing while he gets up to speed. Too, If he underperforms early and develops late that simply means you can re-ink him at a discount if you choose to keep him.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,869

Post#197 » by payitforward » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:36 pm

prime1time wrote:What are people's expectations for Hachimura this season? If Rui can give us what he gave us in the playoffs, we will be a very solid team....

If Rui gives us what he did in the playoffs, he will establish himself as a very solid player. That would absolutely be my goal for him -- or would have been before the current problem he's experiencing. Which puts goal-setting on hold for the moment. Let's hope he gets himself together soonest!

prime1time wrote:...I know some people believe in Kuzma over Rui...

What does it mean to "believe in" a player?

Kuzma was not better his first 2 years than Rui has been. He was worse. & his 3d year was even worse yet!

But, based exclusively on his play last season, his 4th year in the league, Kuzma has established himself to a higher degree than Rui. That's hardly a surprise -- he's almost 3 years older than Rui.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#198 » by payitforward » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:50 pm

nate33 wrote:I'm a Rui believer. I recognize the naysayers' arguments that he is inefficient, doesn't rebound, and is slow to react in help defense; and I see that his numbers haven't really improved over two years...

It's not that his numbers "haven't really improved." Overall, they were worse his second year.

nate33 wrote:but there is something about the way he has improved via the eye test that has me excited. He looked much better late last season than he did earlier in the year or in his rookie year....

&... his numbers were better as well. If that kind of improvement continues or increases, then there's more reason to project his development positively.

nate33 wrote:...In a way, he kind of reminds me of Beal's development. Statistically, Beal didn't improve one bit over his first 4 seasons, but he looked better each year while posting the same mediocre numbers. And then, seemingly out of nowhere, it all came together and he was suddenly an All-Star caliber player.

Maybe I'm just a delusional homer, but I feel like there's a good chance Rui does the same thing.

It would be great if he did -- it's what we'd all like to see.

But, of course, what Brad Beal did has zero bearing on what Rui does -- as I'm sure you know. Moreover, when Brad had that sudden jump in his 5th season, he was a little bit younger than Rui is right now, entering his 3d year in the league. Moreover, Brad had over 7000 NBA minutes under his belt at the start of that year. Rui is at just over 3300 minutes.

Still, we'll see -- right now the most important thing is that he get his head together.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Post#199 » by dlts20 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:16 pm

How are so many shocked that he's not in shape. When I heard about his mental issues and shutting down social media, I honestly just pictured him being in the house and depressed 24/7. No way would he be working out. I honestly think that it's a good thing that he lost weight. Alot of people who are depressed go the other way and gain a lot of weight. Hope he's mentally ready and not just back because he feels like he has to be. Again, I'm not shocked. I think that he wanted to be as far away from baseball as possible
payitforward
RealGM

Post#200 » by payitforward » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:03 pm

doclinkin wrote:
prime1time wrote:

Why would we do that? Even without advanced skills he has shown....

Pretty sure this is prime being sarcastic in response to your objective picture of Rui's skills. There are a handful of people for whom any negative information about Rui or negative response to Rui is tantamount to "hating" him -- & is therefore a sign that what one really wants is "...just to cut him."

I don't understand this in the slightest. The same people have no trouble dinging Deni Avdija -- a kid who is more than 3 years younger than Rui. I don't think they had any trouble criticizing Troy Brown Jr. either -- even though Troy's 2d year (when he had just turned 20) was way better than anything either Rui or Deni has done.

Rui, & only Rui, gets this special treatment. It's a little weird to me, but I suppose there's nothing wrong with it. Meanwhile, if Rui develops to the point where he's making effective use of his athletic gifts, then he'll be a really good player.

It's fair to say that his play late in the season, especially in the playoffs, gives one some reason to believe that he can do that. It's not a guarantee, & he hasn't done anything much yet. But, he might.

First & foremost, he has to recover from whatever knocked him off his pins this Summer. That's important for his life -- it's more important than basketball. Go Rui!

Return to Washington Wizards