parsnips33
Head Coach
And1: 2,597

Re: PC Board OT Thread Take 4 [No Politics] 

Post#1101 » by parsnips33 » Mon Oct 4, 2021 4:45 pm

Clyde Frazier wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

I'm really starting to struggle with the fact that death after death after death still truly hasn't gotten through to these guys. The negative reach these two simple tweets will have is devastating.

Chris Herring wrote a great related article today:

https://www.si.com/nba/2021/10/01/vaccine-not-personal-choice-nba-players-kyrie-irving-andrew-wiggins

Maybe I'm wrong, but seeing the way our government and public health institutions have dealt with all this, entertainers like Lebron and Draymond are super far down my list of "who to blame for COVID death toll"

Not to say I don't understand the frustration, but I feel it's at times misplaced
Moonbeam
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 4,939

Post#1102 » by Moonbeam » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:52 am

I started a poll on the GB to compiled a GOAT list before the NBA announces their greatest 75 list in around 1 week. It'd be great to get some lists from the posters here!

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2128211
Moonbeam
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers

Post#1103 » by Moonbeam » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:10 pm

Music lovers out there, what percentage of the music do you love do you think Spotify has, and how does it compare to other streaming platforms? I've just updated my all-time song list and am finding the Spotify links that are available. While it's certainly impressive, there are a lot of songs I love that are missing. I haven't completed it yet, but I think Spotify's coverage of my favorites is around 85-90%.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#1104 » by HeartBreakKid » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:21 am

Moonbeam wrote:Music lovers out there, what percentage of the music do you love do you think Spotify has, and how does it compare to other streaming platforms? I've just updated my all-time song list and am finding the Spotify links that are available. While it's certainly impressive, there are a lot of songs I love that are missing. I haven't completed it yet, but I think Spotify's coverage of my favorites is around 85-90%.

Not as much as YouTube that's for sure.
Odinn21
Analyst
And1: 2,937

Post#1105 » by Odinn21 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:20 am

Moonbeam wrote:Music lovers out there, what percentage of the music do you love do you think Spotify has, and how does it compare to other streaming platforms? I've just updated my all-time song list and am finding the Spotify links that are available. While it's certainly impressive, there are a lot of songs I love that are missing. I haven't completed it yet, but I think Spotify's coverage of my favorites is around 85-90%.

In terms of library, it's probably YouTube itself, yeah.
Though there are many songs that aren't available on the YouTube Music app even though you can listen to them on YouTube.

First, I'm not from the US and libraries show significant differences regarding regions.
I used Spotify until early 2019 (for nearly 3 or 4 years), then moved to Deezer HiFi for 5 or 6 months, I was using Tidal HiFi until a couple of weeks ago for 2 years, they announced they won't be active in my country any more and I switched to Apple Music.
My usual priorities are finding the songs I love in the library and sound quality.

Based on my experiences at the time

- The libraries; Deezer > Apple Music > Spotify* > Tidal*
(*: I'd seen so many songs getting region locked on Spotify and Tidal, there were songs I found and added to my playlists to see them getting blacked out some time in the future. It was truly annoying.)
And again, this was region specific.

- Sound quality; Tidal > Apple Music > Deezer > Spotify

- Discovery mode; Spotify > Apple Music > Tidal** > Deezer
(**: Tidal used to gravitate towards R&B in discovery mode if you were listening to any genre other than classical music. They were pretty on point in the last 3 or 4 months though. Those latest months would be #1 in this part.)

- App ui and crashes; Tidal > Deezer > Apple Music*** > Spotify
(***: I'm currently hating the fact that Apple Music doesn't have a way to separate my own offline library and itself. It's all nested together and it has not been a pleasant experience with it so far. If there was no such issue, I'd probably put Apple Music ahead of Deezer.)

- I've never been a podcast person, so I can't compare them tbh. I'd assume Spotify and Apple Music have far more content though.

I was actually pretty happy with my Tidal HiFi subscription even though there were some songs went missing with region locks. It was the music app for me. My SO uses Spotify because the library is bigger and there's way more podcasts than Tidal in our region but as far as I can tell, Spotify is lacking behind in every other single area.

---

After writing all these, I remembered the existence of Soundiiz and such services. You can create a mock-up list on any platform, then compare the list to some other platform to see if there's any differences in your region.
The issue with per75 numbers;
36pts on 27 fga/9 fta in 36 mins, does this mean he'd keep up the efficiency to get 48pts on 36fga/12fta in 48 mins?
The answer; NO. He's human, not a linearly working machine.
Per75 is efficiency rate, not actual production.
Moonbeam
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers

Post#1106 » by Moonbeam » Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:32 am

Odinn21 wrote:

In terms of library, it's probably YouTube itself, yeah.
Though there are many songs that aren't available on the YouTube Music app even though you can listen to them on YouTube.

First, I'm not from the US and libraries show significant differences regarding regions.
I used Spotify until early 2019 (for nearly 3 or 4 years), then moved to Deezer HiFi for 5 or 6 months, I was using Tidal HiFi until a couple of weeks ago for 2 years, they announced they won't be active in my country any more and I switched to Apple Music.
My usual priorities are finding the songs I love in the library and sound quality.

Based on my experiences at the time

- The libraries; Deezer > Apple Music > Spotify* > Tidal*
(*: I'd seen so many songs getting region locked on Spotify and Tidal, there were songs I found and added to my playlists to see them getting blacked out some time in the future. It was truly annoying.)
And again, this was region specific.

- Sound quality; Tidal > Apple Music > Deezer > Spotify

- Discovery mode; Spotify > Apple Music > Tidal** > Deezer
(**: Tidal used to gravitate towards R&B in discovery mode if you were listening to any genre other than classical music. They were pretty on point in the last 3 or 4 months though. Those latest months would be #1 in this part.)

- App ui and crashes; Tidal > Deezer > Apple Music*** > Spotify
(***: I'm currently hating the fact that Apple Music doesn't have a way to separate my own offline library and itself. It's all nested together and it has not been a pleasant experience with it so far. If there was no such issue, I'd probably put Apple Music ahead of Deezer.)

- I've never been a podcast person, so I can't compare them tbh. I'd assume Spotify and Apple Music have far more content though.

I was actually pretty happy with my Tidal HiFi subscription even though there were some songs went missing with region locks. It was the music app for me. My SO uses Spotify because the library is bigger and there's way more podcasts than Tidal in our region but as far as I can tell, Spotify is lacking behind in every other single area.

---

After writing all these, I remembered the existence of Soundiiz and such services. You can create a mock-up list on any platform, then compare the list to some other platform to see if there's any differences in your region.

Thanks for the detailed reply! Soundiiz sounds interesting --- I'll see how it goes once I catalogue the Spotify links for my list.
falcolombardi
General Manager
And1: 5,981

Post#1107 » by falcolombardi » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:44 pm

parsnips33 wrote:
Clyde Frazier wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

I'm really starting to struggle with the fact that death after death after death still truly hasn't gotten through to these guys. The negative reach these two simple tweets will have is devastating.

https://www.si.com/nba/2021/10/01/vaccine-not-personal-choice-nba-players-kyrie-irving-andrew-wiggins

Maybe I'm wrong, but seeing the way our government and public health institutions have dealt with all this, entertainers like Lebron and Draymond are super far down my list of "who to blame for COVID death toll"

Not to say I don't understand the frustration, but I feel it's at times misplaced

i can agree with this, and not only with covid

at times with the morey-china scandal it felt like the nba players were held to a higher standards than us políticians for some reason
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,516

Post#1108 » by Dr Positivity » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:22 pm

Players not in NBA's top 75

Manu
Dwight
Billups
Pau
Jokic
Tmac
Gilmore
Mourning
Lanier
HeartBreakKid
RealGM

Post#1109 » by HeartBreakKid » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:06 am

falcolombardi wrote:
parsnips33 wrote:
Clyde Frazier wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

i can agree with this, and not only with covid

at times with the morey-china scandal it felt like the nba players were held to a higher standards than us políticians for some reason

How were players held to a higher standard to politicians with the China thing?

Players refuse to criticize China purely for financial gain. That might be fair, but the same season they're saying it's not all about money when protesting injustices against black Americans. There seems to be ground for criticism there.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,440

Post#1110 » by Slava » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:49 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:Players not in NBA's top 75

Manu
Dwight
Billups
Pau
Jokic
Tmac
Gilmore
Mourning
Lanier

I don't understand how Dwight missed that list.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
jalengreen
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,066

Post#1111 » by jalengreen » Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:43 am

Random thought:

I often see a take outside of the PC board that KD would school Larry Bird, often citing Bird's lack of athleticism, inferior scoring, and just the era he played in.

It had me thinking; people would probably say the same about Jokic if he had played in Bird's era (not the exact same ofc because they play different positions but you get the idea). Someone who may not seem athletic enough to be super impactful in the current NBA by many people's standards, but they *are* - arguably moreso than KD. I thought it's an interesting datapoint that kinda weakens that argument against players like Bird. I don't know though, just something that came to mind.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM

Post#1112 » by HeartBreakKid » Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:45 am

jalengreen wrote:Random thought:

I often see a take outside of the PC board that KD would school Larry Bird, often citing Bird's lack of athleticism, inferior scoring, and just the era he played in.

It had me thinking; people would probably say the same about Jokic if he had played in Bird's era (not the exact same ofc because they play different positions but you get the idea). Someone who may not seem athletic enough to be super impactful in the current NBA by many people's standards, but they *are* - arguably moreso than KD. I thought it's an interesting datapoint that kinda weakens that argument against players like Bird. I don't know though, just something that came to mind.

It's absolutely true. But a lot of those guys who say things like that very rarely think about how there are relatively non-athletic players in the NBA who do incredibly well.
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,600

Post#1113 » by GSP » Mon Nov 8, 2021 1:07 pm

I cannot get over this Aaron Rodgers interview. Can't believe it's real and he's not joking. Hahahahahaa holy **** what an idiot
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,639

Post#1114 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:57 am

Dont normally watch a lot of college bball but Duke/Kentucky night 1 gave it a watch. That Duke PG is a grown man. Fun game.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Texas Chuck

Post#1115 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:10 pm

This Paige Bueckers NIL deal is pretty interesting. On multiple levels. A female college athlete signing a major endorsement deal. The apparent influence she gets to have over her marketing and brand focus. How it might impact WNBA deals moving forward. Her teammate Azzi Fudd also.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Texas Chuck

Post#1116 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:38 pm

Also on Bueckers. I love her. I love her game first and foremost. Couple years ago my daughter was showing me her highlight tapes on youtube and I was blown away by her mastery as a point guard in high school. Just next level wizardry. And she realized how valuable becoming a knock down shooter would be at higher levels and showed that at UConn.

Then when she won the ESPY, she was able to recognize at 19 or whatever she was, that being white was part of her story and part of the accolades(obviously her talent is the biggest part) and that speech she gave was incredibly impressive instead of just basking in her own glow.

I'm already so impressed by the women of the WNBA not just as incredible athletes but as leaders in our country. Bueckers seems poised to carry that tradition on quite well.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,404

Post#1117 » by Doctor MJ » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:39 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:This Paige Bueckers NIL deal is pretty interesting. On multiple levels. A female college athlete signing a major endorsement deal. The apparent influence she gets to have over her marketing and brand focus. How it might impact WNBA deals moving forward. Her teammate Azzi Fudd also.

Definitely interesting.

On the women's side of things, it has the potential to make WNBA salaries essentially inconsequential for a crossover female star. That could lead one to just never play in the WNBA, or it could instead make it so that American women stop playing overseas during the WNBA offseason.

With the scale of NBA salaries, I tend to think college NIL deals really won't matter much...but does make me think about the possibility of an uber-Kyrie who basically becomes a "social media barnstormer" never even going to the NBA because he doesn't need it to make millions. Of course I'm not saying said uber-Kyrie would be making the wisest or more lucrative choice, only that playing competitive basketball might cease to be the only way to earn a lot of money as a basketball athlete...kind of like how things were for the Globetrotters back in the day.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
parsnips33
Head Coach
And1: 2,597

Post#1118 » by parsnips33 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:53 pm

Did anybody else see the movie High Flying Bird? All about the business side of the NBA and player contracts

I really loved it (huge Steven Soderbergh fan) and would definitely recommend, even to non-basketball fans
Texas Chuck

Post#1119 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:53 pm

dos a cero
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,269

Post#1120 » by Clyde Frazier » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:55 pm

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2138526

Thought i'd add a link to this thread here for those of us who don't check the GB every day.

The_Hater, who's made 85,319 posts on this site, had been battling cancer for well over 2 years and passed away 2 days ago.

Very sad news. He was certainly one of my favorite posters to interact with on there. RIP, he will be sorely missed.

Return to Player Comparisons