ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Crypto, Stocks, Bonds, Real Estate, Investments, IRAs & Finances, etc.

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

knickfan
Head Coach
And1: 84

Re: OT: Crypto, Stocks, Bonds, Real Estate, Investments, IRAs & Finances, etc. 

Post#621 » by knickfan » Tue Oct 5, 2021 12:26 am

No one can time the market, there are just way too many variables. This is why I prefer indexes, just pick n forget a few years and let it do it's thing. I can understand the need for passive income though... you're a brave man for getting it this way.
http://www.knicksology.com - Knicks board fantasy ball
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#622 » by br7knicks » Tue Oct 5, 2021 1:17 am

knickfan wrote:No one can time the market, there are just way too many variables. This is why I prefer indexes, just pick n forget a few years and let it do it's thing. I can understand the need for passive income though... you're a brave man for getting it this way.

i just threw a bunch of the money i took out back in today. while i'm sure i got lucky, i've been shouting that there will be a major correction/crash soon for a long time. i still think it'll get worse. but i'm lowering my DCA.

i use the passive income as a way of building up a bunch, then buying more during a dip. i just bought 50 more shares of QYLD just today. once i get that to around 1000 share, i'll probably stop, unless it gets below $18.

i also threw a bunch back into VUG, VBK, VEA, ARKX/F/Q as well.

i'm more into what you're saying. problem is, i'm very pessimistic.
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
HighRyzer83
RealGM
And1: 4,487

Post#623 » by HighRyzer83 » Tue Oct 5, 2021 6:22 am

br7knicks wrote:
knickfan wrote:No one can time the market, there are just way too many variables. This is why I prefer indexes, just pick n forget a few years and let it do it's thing. I can understand the need for passive income though... you're a brave man for getting it this way.

i just threw a bunch of the money i took out back in today. while i'm sure i got lucky, i've been shouting that there will be a major correction/crash soon for a long time. i still think it'll get worse. but i'm lowering my DCA.

i use the passive income as a way of building up a bunch, then buying more during a dip. i just bought 50 more shares of QYLD just today. once i get that to around 1000 share, i'll probably stop, unless it gets below $18.

Im skeptical about qyld. There is little to no share price appreciation over the life of the security, and now it looks like it's actually dipping. The 12% dividend is great, however, when you factor in that you pay full taxes on them since it's a short term gain every time, and you pay a fee to the management company, the return is much smaller. Even the dividend itself has fallen under 10% currently.

On an absolute basis, the return isn't as good as a basic etf for the sp500 or nasdaq. And on a risk adjusted basis, it's worse.

Also options are currently underpriced, so the strategy is flawed. You'd be much better off selling your own calls on qqq and make more $.

It's not a bad strategy by any means, but if I'm taking on more risk, I expect a higher return. You're overexposed to market fluctuations when they sell the covered call and you are still exposed to a crash since they own the underlying stocks they sell calls on.

A lot of this has to do with option pricing strategy which I'm not a believer in long-term sustainability.
br7knicks

Post#624 » by br7knicks » Tue Oct 5, 2021 10:08 am

HighRyzer83 wrote:
br7knicks wrote:

Im skeptical about qyld. There is little to no share price appreciation over the life of the security, and now it looks like it's actually dipping. The 12% dividend is great, however, when you factor in that you pay full taxes on them since it's a short term gain every time, and you pay a fee to the management company, the return is much smaller. Even the dividend itself has fallen under 10% currently.

On an absolute basis, the return isn't as good as a basic etf for the sp500 or nasdaq. And on a risk adjusted basis, it's worse.

Also options are currently underpriced, so the strategy is flawed. You'd be much better off selling your own calls on qqq and make more $.

It's not a bad strategy by any means, but if I'm taking on more risk, I expect a higher return. You're overexposed to market fluctuations when they sell the covered call and you are still exposed to a crash since they own the underlying stocks they sell calls on.

A lot of this has to do with option pricing strategy which I'm not a believer in long-term sustainability.

yeah, it is risky, and i am aware of how crazy the tax implications are - i'm also aware biden wants to increase short term capital gains. it was certainly a concern of mine, and still is, honestly.

i've heard the QQQ idea. i just dont know enough about options and calls/puts. i'm trying my hand at them. i've read a lot about them and watched videos, but i'd need someone to walk me through it as i try it.

what i like about QYLD is that it won't grow a bunch, because it won't drop too much. when i was looking into one of these ETFs, i saw that it didn't take too big of a hit during 2020. i want one that isn't going to be very volatile so i know i don't have to worry too much about it. i have a bunch of high risk ventures (because i'm in my 30s).

you are right in that there are better options. and hell, i shouldn't be this deep into dividend stocks, as i should be focused on high risk, growth stocks/ETFs. i just want to try to accumulate passive money so i can find a way to put more into the market.
RIP, magnumt '19

Da_Mane_Man
General Manager
And1: 1,590

Post#625 » by Da_Mane_Man » Tue Oct 5, 2021 6:04 pm

br7knicks wrote:i know this isn't stocks/crypto, but i do want to know if anyone has any, or any experience, with buying a rental property?

i recently pulled a bunch of my money out of the market because i feel there will be a major correction/crash soon.

but i'm very interested in buying a rental property.

what are the steps? what did you use to find it?

i've been watching a bunch on youtube (mainly jaspreet singh, of the minority mindset, as he's my favorite). but i'd also like to ask my fellow knicks fans

If you feel like a correction is coming, why do you want to buy real estate now? Shouldn't you just wait for said correction before purchasing?

I've been looking for over a year now and I can tell you that inventory levels are at all time lows. You won't find many deals out there right now just by looking on Zillow. You would have to get creative and find them in other ways.
br7knicks

Post#626 » by br7knicks » Tue Oct 5, 2021 7:08 pm

Da_Mane_Man wrote:
br7knicks wrote:i know this isn't stocks/crypto, but i do want to know if anyone has any, or any experience, with buying a rental property?

i recently pulled a bunch of my money out of the market because i feel there will be a major correction/crash soon.

but i'm very interested in buying a rental property.

what are the steps? what did you use to find it?

i've been watching a bunch on youtube (mainly jaspreet singh, of the minority mindset, as he's my favorite). but i'd also like to ask my fellow knicks fans

If you feel like a correction is coming, why do you want to buy real estate now? Shouldn't you just wait for said correction before purchasing?

I've been looking for over a year now and I can tell you that inventory levels are at all time lows. You won't find many deals out there right now just by looking on Zillow. You would have to get creative and find them in other ways.

I'm really just in the initial stages as of now.

I've really only been researching by watching videos and reading.

I bought a house in NY years ago. Fixed it up and sold it. I want to try doing the same, but keeping it as a rental property this time, rather than just selling it outright.

I haven't really gone far with this idea yet. Haven't really began looking at inventory yet, aside from a few websites to get an idea on prices around my area. I don't use zillow, as they dont provide a lot. I use movoto.

I'm not looking to buy one yet. The real estate market, although starting to correct, is still not ideal to get into yet. I'm waiting for Biden's mortgage and rent moratorium to be done. Then im Guessing there will be a lot more inventory that follows.

I was really just posting to see if anyone here has any experience or advice. Should I use a property manager, lawyers, etc?
RIP, magnumt '19

aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,202

Post#627 » by aq_ua » Thu Oct 7, 2021 1:20 pm

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/p-500-stages-biggest-turnaround-200636647.html

This is why it’s tough to trade in and out of markets, particularly more recently when volatility is so high and unpredictable.
br7knicks

Post#628 » by br7knicks » Thu Oct 7, 2021 7:52 pm

aq_ua wrote:https://finance.yahoo.com/news/p-500-stages-biggest-turnaround-200636647.html

This is why it’s tough to trade in and out of markets, particularly more recently when volatility is so high and unpredictable.

This was a good read. And important for those looking for long term, true wealth.

I'm far from a day trader. I'm not really an in and out of the market kind of guy.

Just hard to believe there won't be a major correction or crash sometime soon.

I've already put about half of what I took out back in. I'm not going to make a habit of doing this, despite it actually working out for me this time.

But it was more about me getting a bunch of my high risk ones out so I can be ready with some more cash, on hand, for the major correction and crash that's coming soon.
RIP, magnumt '19

Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,923

Post#629 » by Stannis » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:26 pm

Anybody trimming here?
Free Palestine
br7knicks

Post#630 » by br7knicks » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:26 pm

Stannis wrote:Anybody trimming here?

what's trimming? i just put a bunch of my positions into bond ETFs now, rather than regular stocks and volatile positions.
RIP, magnumt '19

Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,923

Post#631 » by Stannis » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:38 pm

br7knicks wrote:

what's trimming? i just put a bunch of my positions into bond ETFs now, rather than regular stocks and volatile positions.

Taking profits. Was referring to BTC going over 60k.
Free Palestine
Da_Mane_Man
General Manager
And1: 1,590

Post#632 » by Da_Mane_Man » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:44 am

Stannis wrote:
br7knicks wrote:

Taking profits. Was referring to BTC going over 60k.

i don't have much BTC, but from everything I've heard, I wouldn't be trimming till January.
PeteW
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,584

Post#633 » by PeteW » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:47 am

Ironically betting on the Knicks has made me some good money last year (Knicks/Suns were the most profitable against-the-spread teams last year) Planning on duplicating that this year (vegas still hasnt adjusted their odds/ they still don't believe in the Knicks).
HighRyzer83
RealGM

Post#634 » by HighRyzer83 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:53 am

PeteW wrote:Ironically betting on the Knicks has made me some good money last year (Knicks/Suns were the most profitable against-the-spread teams last year) Planning on duplicating that this year (vegas still hasnt adjusted their odds/ they still don't believe in the Knicks).

I just don't get how Vegas got us at 41.5 that's just easy money
NYKinMIA
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,989

Post#635 » by NYKinMIA » Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:36 pm

Not yet. I'm holding to 90k 8-)
ezmoney707
General Manager
And1: 2,726

Post#636 » by ezmoney707 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:42 pm

Anybody else miss on that $DWAC run , like me ?
br7knicks

Post#637 » by br7knicks » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:37 pm

ezmoney707 wrote:Anybody else miss on that $DWAC run , like me ?

holy ****...400%
RIP, magnumt '19

ezmoney707
General Manager
And1: 2,726

Post#638 » by ezmoney707 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:52 pm

br7knicks wrote:

holy ****...400%

Kicking myself In the ass lol , I was going to pull the trigger on it this morning, but didn’t Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HighRyzer83
RealGM

Post#639 » by HighRyzer83 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:23 am

ezmoney707 wrote:
br7knicks wrote:

holy ****...400%

Kicking myself In the ass lol , I was going to pull the trigger on it this morning, but didn’t Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same. Still may be a good time to jump in can be the new Facebook or Twitter.
KOA
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#640 » by KOA » Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:37 am

So is tomorrow a Black Friday due to ad-magedon?

Return to New York Knicks